At the risk of getting in trouble…

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I’m going to share a screenshot of what appears to be boogaloo boy related content for sale during a weekend event in SL.  
I question if it should be allowed on the grid.

If unfamiliar with their movement, I won’t fill in the blanks for you.  Their platform on racism & desire to ignite a second American Civil is easy enough to google for yourself.  

A comparison between the SL advertisement & actual boogaloo boys in their Hawaiian shirts & tactile vest:

9A1D115D-50D0-40DD-A888-2F46634C4103.jpeg

68B1002A-842A-49E9-B74E-2C4F8A4319ED.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Take away the questionable vest add-on and you just have a what i call 'lairy shirt' bright bold colours/prints Hawaiian prints, i've bought similar stuff for myself and mAlt before i certainly didn't know there was now a nefarious motive for wearing them when i first saw them on a certain sale this morning. I would imagine there are plenty of people thinking the same

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

While in poor taste if that group is what they're meant to represent, LL isn't going to ban Hawaiian shirts and cargo pants.  Or tactical vests.  The outfit can be put together with pieces from various stores.  The ad is horrible to say the least.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If someone wants to dress like a um, hmm.. [redacted].. maybe that will have a similar impact as if they wore..clown suits? 

Indeed, if someone wants to portray themselves as part of a wannabe "militia" that an actual military formation would go through like sh** through a goose, we can question their sanity, but hardly prohibit them from displaying their lack of it...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

This is almost the dictionary definition of a "dog whistle."

Yeah, 90% of those who buy this aren't going to get the subtext. And no, LL isn't going to do anything about it, nor, arguably, should they.

But the combination of tactical vest and Hawaiian shirt is distinctive, and otherwise odd enough that it's clearly not an "accident." One doesn't inadvertently combine those two looks.

So . . . not much to do about it. Other than find out who is selling it and choose to boycott their store in future.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

However, I don't understand why Nazi stuff is not allowed (unless for a war enactment maybe?) , but these other symbols of hate are.

Plausible deniability, which is one of the main points of using dog whistles.

Besides, LL lets all sorts of crap slip in under the wire.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Hawaiian shirts and tactical stuff is like chocolate and peanut butter. They don't go together.

That is, of course, mostly my objection: it's the aesthetics.

Would you trust a far right militia group that made this kind of choice when they got dressed in the morning?

They probably also wear socks with sandals.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

There is some value in knowing who the creeps are.

However, I don't understand why Nazi stuff is not allowed (unless for a war enactment maybe?) , but these other symbols of hate are.

There is hardly a nation in the world where you cannot find memorials to those who fell in the effort to defeat the Third Reich and their repugnant ideology.

These groups are not at that level. Oh they want to be but it's way beyond their ability to achieve. They gather symbology that is "as close as we dare get" to Nazi-like, thinking they are somehow being "clever." They are (usually) careful to speak in veiled terms outside their own groups because they know they'll be shunned by the mainstream community if they "say the quiet bit out loud." Recent events around the world and on one continent in particular have emboldened them, they are scurrying out into clearer view with greater enthusiasm.  It's their last gasp, like roaches trying to escape the RAID in the shadows only to find a size-12 boot waiting in the light.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is almost the dictionary definition of a "dog whistle."

Yeah, 90% of those who buy this aren't going to get the subtext. And no, LL isn't going to do anything about it, nor, arguably, should they.

But the combination of tactical vest and Hawaiian shirt is distinctive, and otherwise odd enough that it's clearly not an "accident." One doesn't inadvertently combine those two looks.

So . . . not much to do about it. Other than find out who is selling it and choose to boycott their store in future.

I would probably say, just in case.. Maybe confront them to let them know what it represents, in case they were just using google images for inspiration for beach shirts designs or textures and came across one with tac vest on it.

They may not know what it actually represents but only seen an image.

Then if they give crap or whatever in a negative way as if it was planned, then move to boycotting..

They may pull the thing out..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:
27 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

There is some value in knowing who the creeps are.

There is hardly a nation in the world where you cannot find memorials to those who fell in the effort to defeat the Third Reich and their repugnant ideology.

These groups are not at that level. Oh they want to be but it's way beyond their ability to achieve. They gather symbology that is "as close as we dare get" to Nazi-like, thinking they are somehow being "clever." They are (usually) careful to speak in veiled terms outside their own groups because they know they'll be shunned by the mainstream community if they "say the quiet bit out loud." Recent events around the world and on one continent in particular have emboldened them, they are scurrying out into clearer view with greater enthusiasm.  It's their last gasp, like roaches trying to escape the RAID in the shadows only to find a size-12 boot waiting in the light.

I agree partially with what you've said, in that we don't see the abuse in its most flagrant form currently. But if you study the History of what we did here in the US against black people (and Natives), it is every bit as horrific.

Edited by Kiera Clutterbuck
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I would probably say, just in case.. Maybe confront them to let them know what it represents, in case they were just using google images for inspiration for beach shirts designs or textures and came across one with tac vest on it.

They may not know what it actually represents but only seen an image.

Then if they give crap or whatever in a negative way as if it was planned, then move to boycotting..

They may pull the thing out..

This is a fair call, and I will do that.

Although I'm pretty sure that this is not the first time I've raised my eyebrows at the offerings from this particular store.

ETA: Just looking over their MP. There is a LOT of sort of militia-looking paramilitary gear. Which . . . yech. But it might actually bolster your point.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

I agree partially with what you've said, in that we don't see the abuse in its most flagrant form currently. But if you study the History of what we did here in the US against black people, it is every bit as horrific.

Indeed, and against the people that were there first, before a single white OR black foot touched the ground. We're not exactly free of our own horrific histories here in the UK either, or anywhere else in the world. The important thing is we refuse to let them happen again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is a fair call, and I will do that.

Although I'm pretty sure that this is not the first time I've raised my eyebrows at the offerings from this particular store.

I was looking through their flickr and their whole theme is tactical stuff..

I mean like with flannels and sweat suits and things..They have that same tac vest on a lot of products..

They seem more gamer themed than anything. I mnever really seen their store before

I think as much as it's used on other things, it might be possible it just be a mishap..

I just think it's a good idea to ask before jumping is all..

If it is intentional and political then make a move.

I never heard of this store, so I'm just going by their flickr..

• Like 6

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

I was looking through their flickr and their whole theme is tactical stuff..

I mean like with flannels and sweat suits and things..They have that same tac vest on a lot of products..

They seem more gamer themed than anything. I mnever really seen their store before

I think as much as it's used on other things, it might be possible it just be a mishap..

I just think it's a good idea to ask before jumping is all..

If it is intentional and political then make a move.

I never heard of this store, so I'm just going by their flickr..

Then again, there is this . . .

https://gyazo.com/ff4b7fa92826cf8e2d4925d487ee16d5

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Like I said, I was just going by what I seen on their flickr.

I just think it's always a good idea to communicate first, then if that gets you nowhere, then action..

I am becoming less inclined to think that this is an accident, but your principle is a good one, Ceka. As always.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

I'm sorry, Ceka, but my pitchfork is already packed  😁

I understand and I am just trying to give the benefit of doubt at first.. I mean guys need all the clothes stores they can get in SL.. LOL

• Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.