multiple accounts with same name plus number: am I reading too much into it?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

During the past few days I keep seeing avatars rezzed 4 days ago or so named "bonniebelle" with a 2 digit number next to it tp'ing in and out. I've seen them pop in and out of a number of regions. They always tp in rather high in the sky and they disappear the moment I try to approach them.

A pattern of concern, or plain old paranoia?

helpy image: https://gyazo.com/dd7f22372a612ac6775878ff400e894e

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Diamanda Gustafson said:

During the past few days I keep seeing avatars rezzed 4 days ago or so named "bonniebelle" with a 2 digit number next to it tp'ing in and out. I've seen them pop in and out of a number of regions. They always tp in rather high in the sky and they disappear the moment I try to approach them.

A pattern of concern, or plain old paranoia?

helpy image: https://gyazo.com/dd7f22372a612ac6775878ff400e894e

Grid survey bots, perhaps?

• Like 2

Typically bots of some sort. all owned by the same unimaginitive owner. What the bots are doing is anyone's guess, but not likely to be anything of concern (unless the name before the numbers is "Kevin").

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

It's the ones that stay in the same place day after day that are up to no good 

If they're staying in the same place, in groups of 8, they are Tiny Empires players.

If they're staying in the same place alone, but in an infohub, they're probably sending spam to newbies. 

If they're staying in the same place in a store or club, they are probably sending spam to customers (or to anyone who happened to wander in).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aiyumei said:

My sister and I banned 26 of those accounts yesterday from our home, we figured it could be someone very persistent trying to spy on us.

I had no idea others encountered them too.

That sounds excessive and intrusive. I can't think it would be approved of by LL. Not sure how they can be stopped, though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

If they're staying in the same place, in groups of 8, they are Tiny Empires players.

If they're staying in the same place alone, but in an infohub, they're probably sending spam to newbies. 

If they're staying in the same place in a store or club, they are probably sending spam to customers (or to anyone who happened to wander in).

I’m just curious why you say groups of 8?  I played TE for a decade & never encountered a reason for groups of 8.  I’ve known some people with more alts for the game than letters in the alphabet.  They were good friends to have to clear lucky letter chairs 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I’m just curious why you say groups of 8?  I played TE for a decade & never encountered a reason for groups of 8.  I’ve known some people with more alts for the game than letters in the alphabet.  They were good friends to have to clear lucky letter chairs 😄

I've never played TE so don't know why 8 is the "magic" number but I often see clusters of 8s, arranged in a circle, usually on the bottom of the sea somewhere. I wonder if it's a matter of diminishing returns, beyond 8 is possible but not really worth the effort?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I've never played TE so don't know why 8 is the "magic" number but I often see clusters of 8s, arranged in a circle, usually on the bottom of the sea somewhere. I wonder if it's a matter of diminishing returns, beyond 8 is possible but not really worth the effort?

People gather to pass acres in the land building game.  It’s been a few years, so I can’t remember exactly how many degrees of separation you can pass & receive them w/ other players.  But I’m not sure how 8 is a factor, there’s 11 levels of ranking.  But I learn something new everyday, so maybe someone w more insight will see our side conversation & chime in.  Thanks for responding 😃

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2022 at 9:02 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

If the names start to look like "THX1138", I'd worry a little. Because the world of THX-1138 is pretty scary.

Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents, buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.