Neighbor has dozens of racist flags on her parcel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is that even allowed on SL? I reported it but they are still there. I don't see any on the MP and used the usual search terms and nothing came up so thinking that the confederate battle flag isn't allowed and rightly so. 

The flag isn't heritage or southern pride. The designer of the flag made it clear that it is a symbol of white supremacy. Look it up so you can know too just what it stands for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Marius Darkheart said:

Is that even allowed on SL? I reported it but they are still there. I don't see any on the MP and used the usual search terms and nothing came up so thinking that the confederate battle flag isn't allowed and rightly so. 

The flag isn't heritage or southern pride. The designer of the flag made it clear that it is a symbol of white supremacy. Look it up so you can know too just what it stands for.

AR it. Make sure you include an image. LL may or may not do something about it immediately, but if it's blatant enough, they'll get to it eventually.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

AR it. Make sure you include an image. LL may or may not do something about it immediately, but if it's blatant enough, they'll get to it eventually.

Did that. Still there. Eventually doesn't work for something like this. Hatred has no place on a grid used by most nations, religions, and races living together.

• Thanks 2

We reported a Mainland parcel displaying the same type of White Supremacy symbols...really really large so it could be seen in neighboring regions....and about 24 hours later, I recieved an email acknowledging my report, and shortly thereafter, the nuisance was gone, and the parcel it was on, was vacant. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Marius Darkheart said:

Did that. Still there. Eventually doesn't work for something like this. Hatred has no place on a grid used by most nations, religions, and races living together.

Coffee makes a worthwhile point, if it's true that LL is less likely to respond from ARs from third party viewers, and you're using Firestorm or Catznip or something else.

LL's attitude towards these things is . . . variable. There is overt racism (and sexism and homophobia and transphobia and ableism) all over the grid, and I'm sure much of it has been ARed in the past. They are more likely, however, to do something about racism.

They do, however, often take a long time to get around to acting on ARs, if they act at all. Much will depend upon the degree to which they (meaning, probably, the individual who takes up the case) determines that it is "hate" rather than merely (*rolls her eyes*) taking "pride in racial heritage."

Also, keep at it. Squeaky wheels and all.

(I do have a friend who responded to extremely overt and public expressions of transphobia through larger posters and such from her neighbour by putting up her own billboards in response. It seems to have worked, but I don't recommend it, for lots of reasons.)

• Like 3

He already stated what "we're" dealing with and the answer was already given. The OP has no need to be posting photos here.

32 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is the answer (and yes, use the official SL viewer). Also, include the location and any additional supporting evidence in your AR. If LL finds it in violation, they'll handle it.

• Like 3

I have no negative or positive feelings towards this flag/symbol itself (I'm not an US citizen as well), but I must say, through the pure observation and newly gained knowledge, that I find the history on that topic quite interesting:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/how-confederate-battle-flag-became-symbol-racism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_display_of_the_Confederate_battle_flag#Public_opinion_(2011–2021)

It does remind me a bit of the history of the swastika symbol, where the original meaning was rather positive and later on the general reception turned into something rather negative.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Katie Aurelia said:

Well, are they out for everyone walking around neighboring parcels to see? Or are they inside a windowless skybox that needs to be snooped inside to be seen?

About 14 of them are at ground level on the mainland in full view from all sides as they are placed right around the border of a very large parcel in a high traffic area being it is right by Mare Secondus in Sansara.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Katie Aurelia said:

Just saying that I've seen far worse in some public SL sims 🤣

You aren't even wrong and I'm on your side there. Gets buckwild some places.

Edited by cariboustag
Still can't do a post without typoing.

1 hour ago, Marius Darkheart said:

By way of a bit of historical context -- the issue of the sale of the Confederate battle flag on the MP was first raised on New World Notes in 2015. It would appear that, shortly after, it did disappear from MP (as reported by Ciaran Laval, a one-time regular poster here) and, as you say, they appear not to be available on sale there now.

I should think that LL will act on this . . . eventually. (Maybe a little faster, for it having been discussed here?)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

By way of a bit of historical context -- the issue of the sale of the Confederate battle flag on the MP was first raised on New World Notes in 2015. It would appear that, shortly after, it did disappear from MP (as reported by Ciaran Laval, a one-time regular poster here) and, as you say, they appear not to be available on sale there now.

I should think that LL will act on this . . . eventually. (Maybe a little faster, for it having been discussed here?)

Thanks for the info!!

That was my hope and why I did ask here on the forums along with getting confirmation that symbols of racist hate are not allowed.
In doing so we caught another racist promoting superiority, so bonus. Hopefully both will be removed.

Germans know but neo-nazi's in Germany use the confederate flag now as the Nazi flag is illegal in Germany, and rightfully so. It is only there to promote hate & division and has been since its creation. 

• Like 3

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

Y'all are fighting over a pixel hunk of cloth when people's rights that are far more important to everyone worldwide are being stripped away as we post.

Having those symbols where they are in plain view is part of the problem and why rights are being stripped away, here in the US. The ones who fly that flag are the ones who are pushing to take our rights away and as we saw yesterday, been successful. 
Why it is important to take action against pixels too. Pixel or real the message is the same and the fight against it is the same.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, belindacarson said:

Personally, I'd just simply have abuse reported them instead of making an attention seeking post.

Just saying :)

Yes attention to get answers how to report and if symbols of racist hate are allowed on SL. But you do you. We're all good here, bro.

1 minute ago, Marius Darkheart said:

Yes attention to get answers how to report and if symbols of racist hate are allowed on SL. But you do you. We're all good here, bro.

but you said you've already reported them, so your post isn't about asking how to report them.

It's just to get attention ;)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.