1 second Orb timing, is it necessary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Doors in SL are not a barrier to entry. 

A common trick is to cam into your building and then sit on something to bypass any obstacles you might have placed in world. This is how you end up with random dudes in your naughty skybox asking "how u r" .. regular bans lines only go up so high, so to prevent this happening again, you buy and ORB and set it to NOPE mode.

If you're renting mainland, a security orb is your only option as you do not have access to parcel controls at all. How many seconds do you want to tolerate Mr-Rando-Nopants sitting on your bed before yeeting him into the sun.

On our Island, we have a security system that ejects anyone that enters the penthouse bedroom immediately. Because we've had unwelcome interlopers. And my wife and I like the feeling of having that room in SL which is only for the two of us.The good thing about the system is that it's volume based.  But it's only that one room on the island that ejects anyone. I also set up a sim wide security grid of orbs, but that's only to report when and where people visit. We actually want visitors.,because of the art gallery. We just put in a small bar with 4 chairs for people to sit and chat, outside the art gallery, and some "toys" right next.

Where are people getting all this 1 second, 0 seconds Orbs?The ones Ive used have a hard limit of 15 seconds. I tried to set them to 1 second, but it reverts back to 15, and I dont really have that many unwanted visitors to warran a new Orb. 

Some time ago, I was renging a nice plot on mainland, but someone plopped a newbie sex motel nextdoor, a really tall one, and I kept getting strays coming into my home, a 0 seconds Orb would have been great to have.

Put it this way.

If you invade my privacy, even by one second, you've DRASTICALLY overstayed your welcome. I do not enjoy unwelcome, uninvited guests. I have anxiety, and I feel EXTREMELY uncomfortable with randos intruding where they're not welcome. 

Don't like it? Don't come to my home uninvited. It's MY home, MY safe place, MY private sanctum. If you intrude into MY home, understand that YOU are the reason why my security system forcibly ejected you. You were an unauthorized intruder into someone's private space, and therefor, you are to blame for their security orb's aggressive negotiations. Why? Because some individuals don't listen when told to leave, so, they must be made to leave.

How I see it, if you intrude into someone's private space....
1. You are an unwelcome/invited/etc... intruder and do not belong there.
2. You are the reason why you were banned/ejected.
3. You may be one of those miserable individuals whom doesn't listen to verbal/text warnings about getting out of someone's private area.

TL;DR-  Don't want to be ejected? Don't intrude in other people's private spaces like a creep.

Edited by LunaRavencroft
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I live on a parcel that isn't on mainland and I have my access list on and no one is allowed on. Except anyone on my access list. Now if I had an orb, I would make it 30 seconds tops. But I am totally fine with people choosing to make it a shorter time. I mean ultimately it is their choice and their piece of paradise. It is also their choice to choose to send you wherever they want to send you. 

4 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I live on a parcel that isn't on mainland and I have my access list on and no one is allowed on. Except anyone on my access list. Now if I had an orb, I would make it 30 seconds tops. But I am totally fine with people choosing to make it a shorter time. I mean ultimately it is their choice and their piece of paradise. It is also their choice to choose to send you wherever they want to send you. 

My orbs have specific dimensions, so they only work within that. But they aren't set to eject. Just our one room is setup like that. But there it's immediate. Not even 1 second..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Where are people getting all this 1 second, 0 seconds Orbs?The ones Ive used have a hard limit of 15 seconds. I tried to set them to 1 second, but it reverts back to 15, and I dont really have that many unwanted visitors to warran a new Orb. 

Some time ago, I was renging a nice plot on mainland, but someone plopped a newbie sex motel nextdoor, a really tall one, and I kept getting strays coming into my home, a 0 seconds Orb would have been great to have.

Mine's supplied for free at my rental office. Since I have a sky plot, I can't use ban lines (not that I ever would - they so uglah), so they give out their own security systems for free for residents who don't have plots on the ground. It's fully-functional, but has its limitations (range limits, in particular), so I'd have to spring for the full version if I really wanted to go nuts with it.

The basic freebie is just fine, though - 5 second warning minimum, eject/ban options, white list, black list, manager list, time zone, logs, group access, notify, and a range of 100 meters. The full version goes down to 2 seconds and offers options for range and eject style.

1 hour ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Basic avatar detection and TP Home/eject isn't even that difficult for anyone with reasonable scripting ability.  I would imagine there are many self-scripted orbs out there.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Weston Graves said:

Maybe there should be two different land types all grouped together into continents.  One for those who find themselves so important they can't stand the thought of someone accidentally seeing their artificial stuff that doesn't even exist, and one for those who want to enjoy exploring other's creativity without having their experience interrupted.

For those who need privacy it's not about those who "find themselves so important they can't stand the thought of someone accidentally seeing their artificial stuff that doesn't even exist". It's not about 'things' at all -- it's about what their space represents to them, what it means to them or how they experience their home on a very personal or subjective level. Perhaps they never had privacy in RL, or were unable to keep people out of their physical and emotional space. Perhaps they need a place to be alone and aren't in SL to interact with others at all. Maybe they are frightened if someone is suddenly 'there' without warning because they've been invaded without permission in RL. Maybe they've encountered griefers or unwelcome sexual advances in SL.

We just don't know for sure what meaning it has for them and why they desire privacy, as there are so many possibilities, but I do know it's not right for you to insult and ridicule another because of the personal space and privacy they need.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

We just don't know for sure what meaning it has for them and why they desire privacy, as there are so many possibilities, but I do know it's not right for you to insult and ridicule another because of the personal space and privacy they need.

I have some mainland property. Most of my time is spent in my skybox over a mile in the sky. I had my security set for 15 seconds, with a nicely worded message. Then some ass materializes in my living room, wanting to get to know me, just because he'd seen a female name on the map. It was not an accidental oops. This was a deliberate action. After banning him, I set my security for 1 second. Don't like it? Get stuffed. I don't need random asses deliberately invading my home. I don't owe them a cup of tea and directions to the nearest train station. They were not welcome the moment they entered my property without an invitation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

58 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

All I ask as a Mainland driver who also happens to live roadside on the Mainland, is that folks know how to set the range of their orbs. If it reaches beyond your parcel, e.g. into Linden roads, you've clearly not set it up right. What you do inside of your parcel is none of my business.

that's the fun part getting ejected from a public road and trying to figure out the place to AR. I don't ar to get people in trouble, I usually include in note that this resident may not be aware and might need assistance or something like that; when it comes to that sort of stuff. same with group invites on roads although recently I ignore them. linden homes did really good job getting the community I would say 99% security orb time compliant. There's the odd one that comes in from main land and uses their private orb I guess not realizing there's covenant. Hard to navigate sometimes with 1 second warning in places that seem like public spaces water and roads, some roads look like linden roads very confusing sometimes, same with water ways. 

Edited by Paulsian
blah

20 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

that's the fun part getting ejected from a public road and trying to figure out the place to AR.

You cannot get ejected from a public road.  The TP home and eject tools only work on the private land that the orb owner has permissions on.  If they had an effect on your avatar/vehicle then you strayed onto private land.

These conversations aren't helped by this kind of oft repeated misinformation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Weston Graves said:

My land will always be open to all residents forever, or until they earn a ban by obvious griefing.  The ejector crowd can rest assured I have no interest in them.  

All my parcels are open to anyone who wants to visit.  In my 12 years here, I can't remember ever having a visitor when I was there.  I have no idea if anyone visited while I was logged out.  I don't have security of any kind, don't lock my doors, or use people/traffic counters.  

I leave build on with a 5-minute auto return.  People can run scripts as well. I only recently turned off the ability of others to see people on my parcel.  I only did because I realized that one of the furniture pieces I set out was Adult and I figured if anyone did stop by to use the furniture, they wouldn't want the neighbors to see them. (or maybe they would. I don't know)

I realize, however, that other people have different experiences than I have.  They may be sensitive or just private or have control issues.  They may have had people invade their spaces in negative ways.  That land is under their control and if they want others to stay out, then I have to deal with getting sent home or rushing my way back off the parcel if I accidentally stray.  I do not expect people to live their SecondLife like I do.

P.S. The only time I KNEW someone had been on my land was after I set out a dozen or more slaughtered goats and cows after my new neighbor set up a breeding facility right next to me.  I slaughtered a new cow, sheep, or goat for each cow they had put out.  It was a complete scene with aliens and probing and everything.  I even put out a giant jesus statue holding a sign reading "eat a dick."   Meh, it was mainland.  No one really cared much, but I did receive one very flustered sounding IM from the neighbor on the other side.   I put up a privacy wall on that side.  I'd had that same parcel for years and each neighbor was worse than the last.  I might have been a little upset at having my peace interrupted by constant mooing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Paulsian said:
1 hour ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

All I ask as a Mainland driver who also happens to live roadside on the Mainland, is that folks know how to set the range of their orbs. If it reaches beyond your parcel, e.g. into Linden roads, you've clearly not set it up right. What you do inside of your parcel is none of my business.

that's the fun part getting ejected from a public road and trying to figure out the place to AR

Sorry I should have said while on public road security security orbs with ranges extending beyond the parcels do happen, i've reported a few, to be perfectly clear while on a public protected road. 

10 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

You cannot get ejected from a public road.  The TP home and eject tools only work on the private land that the orb owner has permissions on.  If they had an effect on your avatar/vehicle then you strayed onto private land.

These conversations aren't helped by this kind of oft repeated misinformation.

not to be sarcastic sounding but if I were willingly spreading false information would be disinformation, misinformation is when I misspeak so I guess in a way that was misinformation even though the context was the person I quoted. I guess the only way to prove it would be to search my ar reports for security orb public. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Paulsian said:

Sorry I should have said while on public road security security orbs with ranges extending beyond the parcels do happen, i've reported a few, to be perfectly clear while on a public protected road.

The only part of those orbs that extend outside those parcel boundaries are the IMs and/or blue dialogs they send.  They have no power over your right of way on public land.  There are no exceptions.

Whether you meant to spread misinformation or not, it still is misinformation and you are not the only person to spread it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All my lands are also open to all residents and always have been.  The only exceptions are bans for specific residents that I don't ever want on my land. I have a self-scripted networked security system that detects when banned residents enter the region and it adds them to the ban list of each parcel and removes them when they leave the region.  This way the ban goes all the way up.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

6 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

The only part of those orbs that extend outside those parcel boundaries are the IMs and/or blue dialogs they send.  They have no power over your right of way on public land.  There are no exceptions.

Whether you meant to spread misinformation or not, it still is misinformation and you are not the only person to spread it.

technically you're likely correct on how object should behave. You're saying it's impossible. That's brave statement in this world. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Paulsian said:

technically you're likely correct on how object should behave. You're saying it's impossible. That's brave statement in this world. 

If there are glitches in the way the region server deals with these things then the fault would lay with LL and not with the land owner who is supposed to be able to rely on the tools being provided and is using them according to the rules.

I've never personally witnessed this in all my 15 years of travels across the mainland however.

• Like 2

Point blank on the last little exchange: If you manage to find a security system that can do more than pester a user who is off of the parcel it has actual purview on ... prove it. Find such a system in use, mark the location and send others to it.

Otherwise, knock it off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

just a fyi about this

the script picks up that we are in range of the sensor.  The script says in chat or dialog that it will try to eject us. It can't actually eject us as we are not on the parcel

if we are going to Abuse Report this then it comes under Spam. A dialog or chat message that has no purpose is spam. Is the same kind of spam when we are going by a parcel (not on it) and the script shouts greetings at us, or shouts and drops LMs and such on us. This is all spam, as we are not on the parcel

• Like 2

And all it really tells us is that the orb script hasn't been updated with the modern way of scripting that can perfectly detect avatars on a parcel of any shape and is instead using the older method which can only detect based on a circle diameter from where the orb is placed which obviously cannot do a perfect job even in the centre of square shaped land let alone the weirdly shaped land that people often get near roads.

The reason for their orb being out of date could be many:

• The land owner is absent and has been for some time.
  • They don't know that better scripting methods exist or why they are better.
  • They don't know update for their orb is available.
  • The maker of their orb has gone out of business long ago and they don't realise that newer orbs are better.

Often people just stick with what is working for them and so it isn't always malice that drives this.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

3 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Please keep it factual.  An orb can't eject or push you on land it doesn't control.  An orb set to longer range can only send you a message.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.