1 second Orb timing, is it necessary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Codex Alpha said:

Look, all the usual crowd has shown up to scold and educate the OP on what is acceptable or not, while the OP is only wanting a reasonable accordance. Yet again the same weirdos post accusations and continue to portray the majority of SLers as creeps, trolls and griefers.

That is an accusation and a lie, and toxic to portray Second Lifers as such.

Anyone who thinks for one split second they have any right to wander though my property, for any reason, that shoe does indeed fit.

1 minute ago, Codex Alpha said:

And you appear to be doing what you normally do. Portraying others as having ill intentions or malicious intentions and that SL is full of people who want to grief you, invade your land, etc.

If someone is on my land or in my property, I don't and shouldn't have to care about their intentions. 

My land. My home. My rules. Jog on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I've often wondered why LL doesn't change the texture to something that looks more like a private property sign. Maybe give us options for chain link fencing, wood privacy fencing, picket fence, and even barbed wire if they wanted to. It doesn't need to go high in the sky, just along the ground. I think it would be more aesthetically pleasing for most people.

2e49e6d2-0610-4bd6-b92b-24ab3824093c.jpe

As much as I dislike fences, I'd rather see something like this than what we've had all along.

Maybe have it when you go near it acts like it electrifies you. Lol. So jiggles your screen around and everything if you step onto someones property. After a while it would get annoying and deter them. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Anyone who thinks for one split second they have any right to wander though my property, for any reason, that shoe does indeed fit.

If someone is on my land or in my property, I don't and shouldn't have to care about their intentions. 

My land. My home. My rules. Jog on.

I hate when people create videos of them just blatantly walking into someone elses house to check it out. Like they don't ask, and they don't seem to have any sort of boundaries. They just come right in. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I had a nieghbor on the mainland, once who had one of those 0 second orbs. He kept having is landscaping objects intruding on to my land. When I returned them without warning, he IMed me and was really mad that I didn;t worn him.  I told him if he feels he should be allowed to tp someone home with out warning, I should be able to return his stuff that is over my land. Apparently his attitude to privite property is what is mine is mine and what is yours we share.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

This discussion has been ongoing for the 15 years I've been in SL.  Maybe there should be two different land types all grouped together into continents.  One for those who find themselves so important they can't stand the thought of someone accidentally seeing their artificial stuff that doesn't even exist, and one for those who want to enjoy exploring other's creativity without having their experience interrupted.

Edited by Dyna Mole
Edited to remove unnecessary white space.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Weston Graves said:

This discussion has been ongoing for the 15 years I've been in SL.  Maybe there should be two different land types all grouped together into continents.  One for those who find themselves so important they can't stand the thought of someone accidentally seeing their artificial stuff that doesn't even exist, and one for those who want to enjoy exploring other's creativity without having their experience interrupted.

So basically what you are saying, is people should be able to freely explore your land on Mainland or anywhere, without the express consent of the owner who owns it? Especially if its your private land. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Weston Graves said:

This discussion has been ongoing for the 15 years I've been in SL.  Maybe there should be two different land types all grouped together into continents.  One for those who find themselves so important they can't stand the thought of someone seeing their artificial stuff that doesn't even exist, and one for those who want to enjoy exploring other's creativity without having their experience interrupted.

Maybe banning mainland rentals would be a better solution - Renters on mainland MUST use security orbs as they do not have access to parcel controls - they can't put up banlines even if they wanted to.

It's far easier to set meaningful access restrictions on private estates as you technically "own" the land under your property.

As for claiming this is pearl clutching, it's really not. No one wants random strangers appearing in their personal spaces, whatever their justification at the time.

"Explorers" are just presuming they have an entitlement to go everywhere they please.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I want a big ole guy to kick my front screen door open,  then step out onto my porch, c.o.c.king a big ole shotgun and yell," Get off my LaaWwwwwww Crap looky over there! A big ole Nuuuuke is a headin our way!"

Then this big ole mushroom cloud  that can be seen for miles away..

Anybody know where I can get somthin like dat?

I don't want it to do anything to anyone.. I just want that to happen when someone comes over or even when I come home.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ah yes, two of the usual sorts just could not help but pop up to comment here ...

Let's get one thing clear, hmm? You do not have any right whatsoever to your explorations - none. if you are not paying for the parcel, your access to it is at the behest/whim of the one that is paying for it (or to the good graces of Linden Lab in the event of it not being set to 'ownership' by a user).

Linden Lab ended up capitulating and setting up a Vehicular User centric continent that pretends to be part of the Linden Homes program - they did not have to do so (and frankly should not have done so).

Are there users who use rather aggressive settings for their security? Yep - these same types are rather aggressive with their RL spaces. They will always exist in one form or another as well - note the offending parcels as best you can and move on (seeing as there is often not a singular thing you can do about it).

We don't need two different sets of mainland. We don't need specialized corridors "built in" for flight. Enforcing a minimum timer on security systems isn't much help as the above types will do just that and then toss it in your face ("I gave you the minimum amount of time to leave").

The idea that those who want a bit more visitor control should go to a private estate or other such nonsense? Yep - it is nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Weston Graves said:

58 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

So basically what you are saying, is people should be able to freely explore your land on Mainland or anywhere, without the express consent of the owner who owns it? Especially if its your private land. 

No, that has never been the proposition. The proposition for 10 or 15 years or as long as this has been going on, is

- TO LIMIT AUTO EJECT BOTS TO 30 SECONDS,  that gives reasonable time for the MAJORITY OF NON MALICIOUS EXPLORERS to exit the parcel

- TO EJECT TO A NEARBY PARCEL (or central park in each region) INSTEAD OF SENDING THEM HOME

- TO RESPECT EVERYONE'S AVATAR ESPECIALLY IF PEOPLE ARE GIVEN POWER OVER IT.

It's always been ABOUT REASONABLE SOLUTIONS. Maybe LL just loves watching us divide ourselves and argue about all of this

WHEN A SIMPLE SOLUTION WOULD BE TO LIMIT EJECT TIMERS. NOT EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY BUT IT IS FAIR.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Maybe have it when you go near it acts like it electrifies you. Lol. So jiggles your screen around and everything if you step onto someones property. After a while it would get annoying and deter them. 

That would be funny to watch. Not sure if I'd find it funny to be on the receiving end if it jiggled my screen. I have to turn that off in all the games I play including the MMOs. Can't use mouselook in SL either. lol 

fuck.gif

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That would be funny to watch. Not sure if I'd find it funny to be on the receiving end if it jiggled my screen. I have to turn that off in all the games I play including the MMOs. Can't use mouselook in SL either. lol 

fuck.gif

lol It's so funny when someone tests an electric fence to see if it's on.. Most don't know it's just a pulse and not a constant current..

Oh yea, We're good, it's offfuuuuuuuuuuuuddddge!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weston Graves said:

About the best summary I've seen of the utter futility of trying now to correct a series of really stupid mistakes they made ages ago. It's held back SL for going on twenty years and it's not going to get fixed, ever.

The perverse irony is that Bellisseria has the right covenant but all the wrong content, and the Mainland exactly the opposite.

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It's amusing the OP appears to be complaining about a warning while "exploring" INSIDE someone else's house.

Ah, I see you don't get out much. 😛 Even the twitchiest gamer can't respond fast enough to take a screen shot within a one-second warning interval (let alone escape the unbridled wrath of The Orb). On the contrary, here we surely see an intimate moment, the OP at home, whither she's been dispatched to repent and atone for her sins.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

No, that has never been the proposition. The proposition for 10 or 15 years or as long as this has been going on, is

- TO LIMIT AUTO EJECT BOTS TO 30 SECONDS,  that gives reasonable time for the MAJORITY OF NON MALICIOUS EXPLORERS to exit the parcel

- TO EJECT TO A NEARBY PARCEL (or central park in each region) INSTEAD OF SENDING THEM HOME

- TO RESPECT EVERYONE'S AVATAR ESPECIALLY IF PEOPLE ARE GIVEN POWER OVER IT.

It's always been ABOUT REASONABLE SOLUTIONS. Maybe LL just loves watching us divide ourselves and argue about all of this

WHEN A SIMPLE SOLUTION WOULD BE TO LIMIT EJECT TIMERS. NOT EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY BUT IT IS FAIR.

So basically LL would be able to control how we use our orbs? I honestly don't get that. I mean that would be like letting the government have full control of our security systems. And I mean again it is really up to the user of the Orb how they feel the person should be dealt with. But your solution isn't reasonable, give LL total control over what we can and can't do with our orbs. I mean yeah there could be some sort of common courtesy. But I for one don't want LL having control over my Orb and how I choose to set it. 

7 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

lol It's so funny when someone tests an electric fence to see if it's on.. Most don't know it's just a pulse and not a constant current..

Oh yea, We're good, it's offfuuuuuuuuuuuuddddge!!!

Even though I know it is a pulse I still sometimes get the urge. 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

Even though I know it is a pulse I still sometimes get the urge. 🤭

Still I say to make the naysayers happy, that there should be an electrical fence thingy at parcel lines, if people choose to turn it on. But only up to a certain height, then you hit ban lines or people can use an orb 

6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

With practice, cattle develop the ability to "smell" when the electric fencer is on. I imagine it must be tiny hairs around their noses that they can brush against the wire and wait to see if it tingles.

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oooooh, a MAYunnnn!

1857b782-b4ce-4678-8e13-230fb3a6968e.jpg

Throw him down onna bench and use him till he screams for mercy.

Oh, it was actually a female avatar.

The gender didn't matter, though. The fact that someone either cammed or flew 2000+ meters into the air to gain entry into my skybox, on a private island out in the middle of nowhere, was enough to annoy me.

Weirdly, I've seen numerous avatars show up on my visitor's list since I've started using security, so I guess that's just a thing some people do (my plot is residential only, otherwise I'd just assume they were trying to visit a dead store landmark or something).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

With practice, cattle develop the ability to "smell" when the electric fencer is on. I imagine it must be tiny hairs around their noses that they can brush against the wire and wait to see if it tingles.

How did you ever guess?

pexels-photo-4459309.jpeg?auto=compress&

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.