Have you ever had to fake where you lived?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I get asked occasionally.

SLT+8

UK.

If they then ask where.....Yorkshire. it's a big county. You can drive all day without leaving it.

That's me done.

If they ask when I'm in world, it's easier to list when I'm not.

Never after 12noon SLT.

Never on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

The rest of the time is unpredictable. I'm a moving target.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 1

My profile does not have my real hometown or the state I currently live in.

I don't think people realize how easily people can get your real life information just by revealing a couple of innocent things.  I was having a conversation with someone once and they had casually mentioned what town they lived in.  They also mentioned in a subsequent conversation that they had won 3rd prize in their towns house Christmas decorating contest.  For fun, I looked up the town just to see some pictures of the area because I have never been to the East coast.  Right there, a link came up to the town's website that hosted the decorating contest.  Within seconds I had this guy's real life name AND his address because it was right there for all to see.  Put that info in the hands of a crazy person (none in SL right?) and it's a recipe for disaster. 

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MalibuBratz said:

I've never lied about where I live and I never will. I never really understood why would anyone lie about that (or not tell you) because its such  a basic ass information lol. And people always say "why do you want to know?" idk because we are having a conversation and i'm trying to get to know you? like what am i supposed to ask lol? what did you have for breakfast? lol. I mean tbh i dont even care like that but I just find it cool knowing if i'm talking to someone from a whole different continent. Maybe it's because i've been on the internet since I was like 8-9 and used to tell everyone and their mom where i'm from so now i'm just not scared anymore lol.

Knowing the general area someone lives in helps to connect with them because then you have some idea what their culture and society is like and can relate to it and them.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 6:24 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Let's say you are approached by a random stranger in SL and they ask about where you live in real life. Have you ever faked where you lived? Like, saying you live in Bermuda and it's very hot and humid as you sit at your desk. How well did it work out?

Depends on the person asking. If I semi trust them I might say what state or country. If I'm getting creepy vides I will say nunya bizness 😒

‘Had’ to, no. Once with a particularly insistent guy I ended up saying the first country that came to mind, waited for him to be very satisfied that he knew now and declare he did see those national / cultural traits in me, then I told him I had picked it at random.

He wasn’t pleased.

• Haha 1

About as far as I will give out is my state..

If they keep asking for closer, I just say, Why are you wanting to come over or something?

My whole family that lives down here lives on our land.. We own the road that leads to us..

I think if someone were to ever try to come over unannounced, They'd get a little leery once they started to hit the thinner roads and thicker woods and bush..

Let alone just about everyone hearing someone on the road, gives a look.. Then gives a call asking who's expecting company..

It's pretty secure where I'm at..

I'm reminded of a little tune that might go through their head in the thick brush.. hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Haha 1

1] It's no-one's business what my RL details are.

2] People who ask those type of questions have just shown that they do not respect boundaries.

3] Do not share RL information in order to protect yourself from identity thieves, stalkers and scammers.

4] Never fall for the trap where the other party 'shares' information about themself. It's most likely a fabrication / lie to lull their target / mark into sharing personal information.

5] The golden rule in this situation: Just say no, walk away and block / mute the interrogator.

6] If some rando rocks up throwing RL info about yourself at you and/or other people, go straight to Linden Lab and the Police.

Generally speaking I'm very open about where I live, down to the city. I feel comfortable enough sharing that information. I don't see how they could use that against me. With close friends, I'm sure that I've shared enough information with some of them that it would not be difficult for them to identify me, if they wanted. Now, if a total stranger approaches me and start asking a bunch of information about me, that is a different story.

• Like 1

"I live in slav-land, we drink liquid death, eat tons of potatoes and praise babushka's kompot" - Is usually what I say to those who sniff around and asking questions. While all of the above is completely true, it sends them completely in another direction from where I'm from.

The benefits of being slavic, our cultures are similar and we sometimes tolerate each other.

*casually eats peach kompot from her grandmother while writing this*

Edited by Aiyumei

2 hours ago, Echelon Alcott said:

Generally speaking I'm very open about where I live, down to the city. I feel comfortable enough sharing that information. I don't see how they could use that against me. With close friends, I'm sure that I've shared enough information with some of them that it would not be difficult for them to identify me, if they wanted. Now, if a total stranger approaches me and start asking a bunch of information about me, that is a different story.

This is pretty much my attitude, as well. I was on dating sites years ago where photos are sitting right next to age and town with hobbies and whatever personal info a person thought we should all know plastered all over the page, so I'm not really fazed by the question. My region's in my first life, as I mentioned, but if someone wanted the state, I wouldn't hesitate to answer.

I will say it was a bit jarring to meet someone on one of those dating sites who I later found out after a chat lived literally down the street. We didn't meet up in the end, but it would've taken 5 minutes to do so had we picked a nearby restaurant or something. So far, nothing even remotely close has happened in SL. I don't think I know anyone from my state at all, come to think of it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.