flickr updates TOS...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

During the process of which I've found out that one more of my pictures had been flagged as unsafe.

how did you find that out? i know of no way to check and see if a particular photo has been reported. or maybe it was just that your rating was changed to moderate or restricted: was it the work of the flickr modbot?

14 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Ask yourself why you feel you need a Flickr or Flickr type account. Do you need somewhere to store the pictures, or is it the validation you need?

I already have place to store my photos as backup, it has nearly 5 times more photos in it than on my Flickr profile. As others already mentioned we use the platform not as place to store our screenshots. Most of us use it as place to share our artwork as content creators and even connect with others. 

The place I'm using to store my photos is sort of similar to Flickr in fact as it has the social aspect of user profiles, adding friends and following people, but without the posts feeds, groups, faves and etc feature that turn file storage site into social platform.

6 minutes ago, Brooke51 said:

how did you find that out? i know of no way to check and see if a particular photo has been reported. or maybe it was just that your rating was changed to moderate or restricted: was it the work of the flickr modbot?

One way is to get notification from the flickr bot. Another more mean way in my opinion is to get your whole profile flagged by support as unsafe. There is no indication whatsoever because of which photo your account was flagged and when you contact support they don't give any info about it. You are simply required to then adjust the privacy of each one of your photos and appeal afterwards.

Edited by Aiyumei
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Aiyumei said:

One way is to get notification from the flickr bot. Another more mean way in my opinion is to get your whole profile flagged by support as unsafe. There no indication whatsoever because of which photo your account was flagged and when you contact support they don't give any info about it. You are simply required to then adjust the privacy of each one of your photos and appeal afterwards.

OK, that's how i understood it, too. if there was some new way to see what was happening, i was going to be happy. but no. these smugmug corporate suits have done NOTHING to improve flickr's feature set.

maybe losing half their users will help them focus on fixing their often crappy software. unbelievable. 

feeling grumpy. thanks for reading :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brooke51 said:

Likely yeah. Sorry, probably a language issue going on. In essence I've only uploaded around twenty images or so. Going through I noticed that one had its content setting changed. Whether by automated bot or by report, I don't know.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

Whether by automated bot or by report, I don't know.

the flickrbot is clumsy in its ratings, at best, although it has improved noticeably in the last few months. i was told by flickr staff that "virtual photos are harder for the bot to rate properly" as they do not look the same as RL photos.

i stopped minding the flickrbot rating mistakes when i started seeing improvement in its accuracy. it's just a piece of software that needs more tuning/feedback to understand what is actual nudity vs what is just some skin. you don't have to accept the flickrbot's mis-rating of your safe photos. just change it back if it is wrong. :)

i don't think reporting a photo can change its rating, so i think your photo's rating must have been changed (inaccurately) by the flickrbot.

thanks for reading :) 

• Like 2

I logged into Flickr today and saw a ton of what I thought was spacers like people do until I clicked on one and another and a few others and they were not spacers they were *goodbye Flickrs. I spent last night deleting all moderate and restricted pics, about 200 of them. SL flickrites may only be a small drop in the flickr puddle but these exodus worry me.  It is not worth 70 dollars plus a year for me to pay to use the service for SL. I only use it because creators want flickr exposure. 

What will become of the free SL users who do use it to blog instead of a blog service?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, colleen Criss said:

I logged into Flickr today and saw a ton of what I thought was spacers like people do until I clicked on one and another and a few others and they were not spacers they were *goodbye Flickrs. I spent last night deleting all moderate and restricted pics, about 200 of them. SL flickrites may only be a small drop in the flickr puddle but these exodus worry me.  It is not worth 70 dollars plus a year for me to pay to use the service for SL. I only use it because creators want flickr exposure. 

What will become of the free SL users who do use it to blog instead of a blog service?

I think what you are seeing Colleen are the five stages of grief of various users. The blog post about the new terms of service isn’t the most eloquent of documents and until changes are implemented or something new occurs, regular users wait with baited breath to see what will happen.

I’d assume the second life community also makes up a larger portion of the flicker community than one might think. Some engage in real life photography. While they might be unaffected you still have large adult communities within flicker who don’t use second life that share moderate/restricted content.

To date (it’s only be a day) I’ve not seen any groups trying to engage with Flicker’s staff outside protest pictures so I’m wondering how they will respond to the backlash or if they will ignore it. Still, good luck in your endeavors Colleen. Once we have a clearer date of the when and how I guess I’ll be deleting my moderate/restricted content as well.

• Like 2

NewTumbl is another place former flickr users could migrate to. If you're familiar with how tumblr works that could be an alternative for you. I'm looking into that... not too keen on opening another DeviantArt account at this point, or paying for another flickr account.

This is what can be viewed without an active NewTumbl account, using Second Life as a search term. I'm presuming NSFW material requires having an account, but it's free to come on board as far as I can see.

https://newtumbl.com/search#q=second life

Edited by JeromFranzic
changed a word or two... i need moar k0feh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

NewTumbl is another place former flickr users could migrate to. If you're familiar with how tumblr works that could be an alternative for you. I'm looking into that... not too keen on opening another DeviantArt account at this point, or paying for another flickr account.

This is what can be viewed without an active NewTumbl account, using Second Life as a search term. I'm presuming NSFW material requires having an account, but it's free to come on board as far as I can see.

https://newtumbl.com/search#q=second life

Hmm, my antivirus keeps flagging up those pages as malicious - and every time, it's one of their ads.

2 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Hmm, my antivirus keeps flagging up those pages as malicious - and every time, it's one of their ads.

Try whitelisting the site via your antivirus app if you want to see more of NewTumbl. I use Windows Defender and the Malwarebytes plugin in Chrome.

3 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

Try whitelisting the site via your antivirus app if you want to see more of NewTumbl. I use Windows Defender and the Malwarebytes plugin in Chrome.

I don't want to whitelist malicious ads though...  I mean, I can see the user content itself just fine, it's just the ads that have been blocked. But the big red warning banner flashing at the top of my screen is a tad irritating.

• Like 2

Perhaps I looked past the answer to this question in that weirdly worded post Flickr put out (if so, my apologies!) but will this change only affect moderate/adult photos going forward or will they be going back through older photos and taking action on those as well? Also, I'm guessing they were being intentionally vague on when this roll-out actually gets implemented, yeah?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, alixxilhice said:

Perhaps I looked past the answer to this question in that weirdly worded post Flickr put out (if so, my apologies!) but will this change only affect moderate/adult photos going forward or will they be going back through older photos and taking action on those as well? Also, I'm guessing they were being intentionally vague on when this roll-out actually gets implemented, yeah?

Yes, it'll primarily affect free (ad-supported, really) users that have Moderate/Restricted photos. Not sure if it will affect past photos... it might, given how unpredictable the flickr-bot is at times. It hit me once already a month or so ago in one Moderate shot I posted from Open Sim. And ya, no set date so the statement is vague.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, alixxilhice said:

Nope, their announcement says to expect moderate and restricted posts to be deleted, so yes they'll be going back through old content.

And yes, they haven't said when, yet. That is surely deliberate.

Annyway - I signed up for that newtumblr thing (and once signed in it stopped trying to show me malicious ads so my antivirus has stopped complaining). There appears to be one active SL user here (a name I recognise form the forum)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Nope, their announcement says to expect moderate and restricted posts to be deleted, so yes they'll be going back through old content.

And yes, they haven't said when, yet. That is surely deliberate.

Yes, they said "we haven't actually deleted a single photo in the past" in spite of their 1000 photo limit for free accounts. they want credit for that (as if they're really good guys), but the threat is there. this new thing might be LIKE that, but it sounds to me like they will be deleting, either immediately when they start really rolling this out, or at some point after.

its hard to decipher the doubletalk. i find it creepy.

Edited by Brooke51
fix a grammar/clarity typo
  • Like 7

Well, I don't have any moderate or restricted content, though the "Hey Flickr" image I posted flipping off the camera might be flagged XD

I've actually seen quite a few Pro accounts linking to other places over the last day, I think they're not only going to be losing free accounts, and with how horrible their pricing model is (It works for SmugMug, but that's a different type of service, most people are fully in free tier levels of quality on Flickr) I very much doubt many people will be upgrading because of this.

• Like 4

I found on Flickr a Member who offered this as a Try, but its unfortunately on Discord. The Name of the User is Cevere, more i couldn´t find

I dont know how it will work there, but she said, she will open their some kinda Platform for Photos--->

https://discord.com/invite/AsWReEApET

Btw, so many on Flickr say already, that will be Flickr´s Downfall, they will loose thousands of Members SL or Real Free Members! Yea yea Flickr digs his own Grave!

Edited by Nikita Neuman

6 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I don't want to whitelist malicious ads though...  I mean, I can see the user content itself just fine, it's just the ads that have been blocked. But the big red warning banner flashing at the top of my screen is a tad irritating.

If you want to block the Ads other and see anyway Adult Photos as Example use AdGuard AdBlocker, it has some green Icon and is free getable on Web, use it all the Time and on Flickr it blocks all Ads Flickr trys to stick between my Photos! :)

Link to AdGuard and no worrys i got Adguard and all is fine. And with AdGuard you can block everything, Videos, unwished Photos, Ads from other Websites shown on Flickr etc.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adguard-adblocker/bgnkhhnnamicmpeenaelnjfhikgbkllg?hl=en

And i bet my both Arms, next in Line will be Linden Lab wo set Free Accounts to we may not Load up Mesh or Textures etc anymore, will exclude Free Acc from Events, MP, from Adult Sim´s and so on, hooorrrayyy welcome in a World without Human Rights. Disgusting!!!

Edited by Nikita Neuman
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.