This "fatpack" madness should be stopped...

Faly Breen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 65 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Faly Breen said:

again, only to stay with the sample here, if i want THIS "one dress" in "this one color i want" than there is no other opinion to buy the fatpack because its (the color you want) not sold alone. This is the problem.

I think what @Rowan Amorepoint is that you don't have to buy it. If more people passed up buying the fatpacks just to get one color then creators would have to rethink their marketing strategy. The problem is as much with the buyers as the sellers. As long as people keep buying, then sellers will continue to sell that way. Can you blame them?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Faly Breen said:

again, only to stay with the sample here, if i want THIS "one dress" in "this one color i want" than there is no other opinion to buy the fatpack because its (the color you want) not sold alone. This is the problem.

Not sure how many other ways to say it.   DON'T BUY FROM THESE MERCHANTS.   There IS NO PROBLEM.  it's called boycotting.  It's what people do.  It's what encourages merchants to change their selling practices.  It's the ONLY thing you can do.  

Lordy

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I think what @Rowan Amorepoint is that you don't have to buy it. If more people passed up buying the fatpacks just to get one color then creators would have to rethink their marketing strategy. The problem is as much with the buyers as the sellers. As long as people keep buying, then sellers will continue to sell that way. Can you blame them?

3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

indeed, that's the problem.
You seem not to be able to accept you'r not the ruling one, but the seller is.
Walking away and let it slide off is such good thing in this world.

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Not sure how many other ways to say it.   DON'T BUY FROM THESE MERCHANTS.   There IS NO PROBLEM.  it's called boycotting.  It's what people do.  It's what encourages merchants to change their selling practices.  It's the ONLY thing you can do.  

Lordy

I quote you all 3 here because there might be missunderstanding here:

- first, i did understand the thing with "you dont have to buy it". sure, right, again, noone "is" forcing me to buy anything at all but thats not the point here. The point IS that creators DO create fatpacks AND sell some solo colors but put only "some colors" out to buy solo but not all.

- No, as for Alwin there, the sellers doesnt write the rules, the costumers does. if im not buying wilingly the fatpack "only" because it has the color in it i might want, its not my lose. SUre, i dont have the dress but than again, i can look for alternatives and MOSTLY they are some other good ones. the one who loses is the creator, not me.

- Boycotting is a harsh word and sounds like creating a "angry mob" against one/some creators...Isnt that basicly what i want? that i want LL to put up an actual "rule" against this "sheat"? Srsly, think about it, boycotting sounds like creating a flash mob and tell a/the creator/s to literally "f off" and change their thing. And as i said: Im just ONE person, with just ONE voice and im sure that will not change something in the slightest. Yes, i made a topic and thread here in this forum but how many creators will look up here and take my vent/rent even "for real"? Noone will. It sounds hard but lets be at least somewhat realistic here.

Edited by Faly Breen
typos

18 minutes ago, Faly Breen said:

Isnt that basicly what i want? that i want LL to put up an actual "rule" against this "sheat"?

Two totally different things.  Very few creators OR consumers want LL to make any more unnecessary rules.  We, as consumers, have the ability to make change.  Not to the rules, but to the way merchants sell.  I hate that merchants put basic colors in a fatpack.  Guess what?  I don't buy it.  I have actually sent notecards telling them this.  I tell my friends.  If I had a blog, I'd post it there.  Let the dumb a**** keep trying to sell those fatpacks.  Who cares?  There are 374656473 other places to buy things from merchants who treat their customers fairly.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

And yes there is a reason for no mod for most clothing items,  after putting hours of work into something  a creator does not want to see it totally borked and messed up by someone else...  just saying.

9 hours ago, Aiyumei said:

No one enjoys other tampering with their creations after they put in hours of work to make them. 

This line of reasoning makes no sense to me. Help me understand. If a creator doesn't want other people touching their stuff, why sell it to other people?

I get the greedy ones that want you to buy the colors and/or fatpacks. I even get the ones that don't understand how SL works and think they're preventing theft. Disagree, but understand. But I just don't understand "I want people to use this but I don't want people to use this."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Two totally different things.  Very few creators OR consumers want LL to make any more unnecessary rules.  We, as consumers, have the ability to make change.  Not to the rules, but to the way merchants sell.  I hate that merchants put basic colors in a fatpack.  Guess what?  I don't buy it.  I have actually sent notecards telling them this.  I tell my friends.  If I had a blog, I'd post it there.  Let the dumb a**** keep trying to sell those fatpacks.  Who cares?  There are 374656473 other places to buy things from merchants who threat their customers fairly.  

yea i got that but than there have to be literally more people which have "the voice" for it and not just "you and me" if you know what i mean...

12 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

This line of reasoning makes no sense to me. Help me understand. If a creator doesn't want other people touching their stuff, why sell it to other people?

I am inclined to think you just do not WANT to understand!  And for those who think like you, I am inclined to NOT want to help you understand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Faly Breen said:

yea i got that but than there have to be literally more people which have "the voice" for it and not just "you and me" if you know what i mean...

And if not, who cares?  They will probably not do much business and wonder why.  Businesses come and go for many reasons.  I've noticed that a lot of the places that sell in this manner are using template meshes.  Buy a piece, color it 12 different ways, slap it in a fatpack and try selling it for 1000L or more.  Why would anyone pay for that when I can buy from a place using templates, with colors AND patterns and pay 250L or less.  Like these stores...Which have been in business for years...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/20016

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/80431

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/141517

And many many more...

• Thanks 1

I have had about enough of this thread and after I finish this comment I am going to Unfollow it...  The bottom line here is simple:  Some creators are out to make extra money on fat packs by offering certain colours they do not offer in a single, hoping folks will give in and pay for the fat pack.  It is a business practice to make more Lindens for themselves.  I pisses people off.. OK then just do NOT buy those fat packs or from those creators.  Eventually if they don't sell any they will get the message.  And no LL is surely not interested in making rules about something like this.. they have their hands full just keeping SL working!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

I am inclined to think you just do not WANT to understand!  And for those who think like you, I am inclined to NOT want to help you understand.

That only justifies my position. If you can't or won't explain it, that means the explanation isn't very good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

And if not, who cares?  They will probably not do much business and wonder why.  Businesses come and go for many reasons.  I've noticed that a lot of the places that sell in this manner are using template meshes.  Buy a piece, color it 12 different ways, slap it in a fatpack and try selling it for 1000L or more.  Why would anyone pay for that when I can buy from a place using templates, with colors AND patterns and pay 250L or less.  Like these stores...Which have been in business for years...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/20016

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/80431

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/141517

And many many more...

thanks there and yes, this basicly "sadly" the only thing we can do so it seems till they finally learn. also thanks for those links there, actually they sell some good stuff there.

24 minutes ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

The bottom line here is simple:  Some creators are out to make extra money on fat packs by offering certain colours they do not offer in a single, hoping folks will give in and pay for the fat pack.  It is a business practice to make more Lindens for themselves.  I pisses people off.. OK then just do NOT buy those fat packs or from those creators.  Eventually if they don't sell any they will get the message. 

53 minutes ago, Faly Breen said:

- first, i did understand the thing with "you dont have to buy it". sure, right, again, noone "is" forcing me to buy anything at all but thats not the point here. The point IS that creators DO create fatpacks AND sell some solo colors but put only "some colors" out to buy solo but not all.

literally said that comments ago.

Edited by Faly Breen

47 minutes ago, Faly Breen said:

- No, as for Alwin there, the sellers doesnt write the rules, the costumers does. if im not buying wilingly the fatpack "only" because it has the color in it i might want, its not my lose. SUre, i dont have the dress but than again, i can look for alternatives and MOSTLY they are some other good ones. the one who loses is the creator, not me.

- Boycotting is a harsh word and sounds like creating a "angry mob" against one/some creators...Isnt that basicly what i want? that i want LL to put up an actual "rule" against this "sheat"? Srsly, think about it, boycotting sounds like creating a flash mob and tell a/the creator/s to literally "f off" and change their thing. And as i said: Im just ONE person, with just ONE voice and im sure that will not change something in the slightest. Yes, i made a topic and thread here in this forum but how many creators will look up here and take my vent/rent even "for real"? Noone will. It sounds hard but lets be at least somewhat realistic here.

Actually the seller doesn't lose out because if they did they would change how they do things. It's working for them. The only way to get the sellers to stop is to boycott, yes boycott. Seriously how many clothes have you bought that you can't stand to go 3, 6, 9 months without buying another thing in SL and still have outfits you haven't worn. I would bet money 9 out of 10.  

It's you that has to be realistic. LL is not going to monitor how sellers package and sell their things unless they change the whole system due to a RL law or ruling (i.e. Gatcha's)  If a seller wants to charge 10,000L for a black mini dress then they can. YOU as a buyer can either choose to buy it or walk away. 

What are you not understanding? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Seriously how many clothes have you bought that you can't stand to go 3, 6, 9 months without buying another thing in SL and still have outfits you haven't worn. I would bet money 9 out of 10.  

aaaaaaaactually i would say 4 out of 10. i like to use a lot clothes but also love to reuse them. a lot. ^^

42 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

It's you that has to be realistic. LL is not going to monitor how sellers package and sell their things unless they change the whole system due to a RL law or ruling (i.e. Gatcha's)  If a seller wants to charge 10,000L for a black mini dress then they can. YOU as a buyer can either choose to buy it or walk away. 

What are you not understanding? 

the problem is i do understand why the creators do this thing even if i and sure others (as i saw) dont like it. as i said in my real life sample if i just want ONE pair of jeans in a special color, i dont wanna only have the opinion to buy "either all or nothing" because, again, its bs to do so from the creators side. it sounds like (again~) trying to force the costumer to buy something he/she does not want in the slightest and doesnt even give the costumer a "2nd opinion" at all. So yes, i understood that the only way we have is basiclly to boycott them but it still is a fishy way to actually DO from the creators side with all this fatpack stuff and that has to be said and noticed and said.

You realize that it's not just creators in SL that do this. In RL merchants practice this same thing.  I don't know how many times have I seen white, black, tan underwear selling for one price and the colored or striped versions selling for up to 20% less.  They know that people want the neutrals colors so they charge more for them.  Maybe a toaster that is red might cost $39.99 but the black one costs $19.99. Typical marketing strategy.  

2 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

They know that people want the neutrals colors so they charge more for them.  Maybe a toaster that is red might cost $39.99 but the black one costs $19.99. Typical marketing strategy.  

Although in RL you can paint the toaster whatever colour you want (and by 'paint' I of course mean 'airbrush'). Of course, home appliances should always be black or bare metal, so there's usually no reason to do so. 

Then there's the whole thing about toasters being some of the most pointless items in the world. You have to dry toast in most of them as they suspend the bread in a little rack that lets any applied butter drip off and risk short circuiting the whole thing (or mayonnaise if you're a weirdo) - and who on earth wants bone dry toast?! If you don't know how to operate a skillet, you do not deserve toast! ^_^ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

You realize that it's not just creators in SL that do this. In RL merchants practice this same thing.

i know and its bs to do. i mean my rl sample i brought often was a sample bbuuuuuuttt i saw already "similar" things where i just had to shake my head about.

• 1 month later...

So I didn't see this referenced in the thread, and maybe it misses the point. 

But this is the strategy I use is this:

I look at the fatpack, I count what is in it, I divide that number by the cost to get cost per item in the pack.   I then identify how many of the variations I would wear, and compare the cost per item of the ones I want against cost buying separately, if it costs more I get fatpack, if its less I buy individually.  Well there's the added question if item is worth what its being sold for individually in my estimation.  but this strategy has helped me, and I hope it helps others too.

• Like 7

On 3/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, Faly Breen said:

I dont "have to" buy the pack if i go with an alternative but if i want "just this one color", i basicly get forced to take the fatpack or nothing (and this is the problem). as said in my main post i can show a lot samples here but it wuld be nameshaming.

Well that is something LL absolutely do not allow, so I'd advise  you against it!

I'd say it's up to the consumer to make a conscious decision about which stores they reward with their hard earned money.

With that said I do agree that there has been a rise in creators who seem to be only motivated by profit (or perhaps a dip in creators with a genuine passion?) - Which I think is unfortunate, because creators who are only profit motivated tend to make less and charge more - Ironically often causing them to make less profit than if they had a genuine passion for what they do.

The irritation is specific.

The product imagery shows the item in a couple of shades with variations in trim.

If you buy the single main shade you desire, then that is often all you get, no trim, and no ability even know if you can change the trim to match the marketing material till after you buy it.

If I want to buy the blue dress with the white straps, I can't just buy blue and white. I have to buy the entire set in ever shade under the sun, just so I can get the hud to allow me to do it.

False advertising is still false advertising.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rilee Dallas said:

I bought an awesome hair for 300 lindens and it came with 4 color huds....pretty amazing! Like 104 color choices. Didn't need a fatpack!

This is like the epitome of what fatpack means.

• Like 2

a fat pack would have made you pay 1200 lindens to get all  color huds. i paid 300 and it came with all color huds. there was no option for less colors. You buy the hair you get all colors. 

Edited by Rilee Dallas

2 hours ago, Rilee Dallas said:

a fat pack would have made you pay 1200 lindens to get all  color huds. i paid 300 and it came with all color huds. there was no option for less colors. You buy the hair you get all colors. 

Then that IS a fatpack. It includes all the colors, that's the point. The pricing of it doesn't matter.

Edited by So Whimsy
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 65 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.