disconnection

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've always thought that my entire online existence can disappear at any moment.
Stop and think about it for a moment, please.
Are you aware that everything you put online from day one no longer belongs to you?
And that could disappear anyway from one day to the next?
That you actually have no control?

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

You brought up this thread.
I don't see what there is to discuss.
What you told in the OP is a given fact. Nothing more.

So you think this great inspiration of mine needs to be closed in such an abrupt way?
Don't you think there may be elements that need to be discussed?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I've always thought that my entire online existence can disappear at any moment.
Are you aware that everything you put online from day one no longer belongs to you?

Well.... in practice, yes, we are all aware that that is how it works.

technically, you could always host your own content, if you are so worried about permanence.  Generally, the issue with online content and permanence goes in the other direction, things stay on for far longer than we want and with no way to control that either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

So you reassured me that you don't give a damn about what you say on social media.
ok

Well probably a lot care what they themselves say but not so much what others do unless there is an opportunity to have a thread closed down....which seems to be a bit of a pastime for some.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Well.... in practice, yes, we are all aware that that is how it works.

technically, you could always host your own content, if you are so worried about permanence.  Generally, the issue with online content and permanence goes in the other direction, things stay on for far longer than we want and with no way to control that either.

Of course I know how Twitter works.
If you want to talk about technical specifications I am very pleased because I am really intrigued.
This is the first real Forum in which I participate and the more I know its mechanics the more I am fascinated.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well probably a lot care what they themselves say but not so much what others do unless there is an opportunity to have a thread closed down....which seems to be a bit of a pastime for some.

stand by translating.

Edited by Tama Suki

10 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Of course I know how Twitter works.
If you want to talk about technical specifications I am very pleased because I am really intrigued.
This is the first real Forum in which I participate and the more I know its mechanics the more I am fascinated.

Well, lets say you have virtual sculptures that you want to display, but someday SL could disappear and you sculptures with it.  So you can setup a server in your garage/basement, to host a simple webpage, you load some free engine like Babylon that can read .OBJ and I think .DAE files too, and make your own exhibit with your work there, and no one will take it down for as long as you keep the server running.

No one is going to find, its a hassle and it requires that you dedicate a bunch of hardware specifically to support that site, that´s why no one does it and everyone ends up using amazon, but it is technically possible.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Well, lets say you have virtual sculptures that you want to display, but someday SL could disappear and you sculptures with it.  So you can setup a server in your garage/basement, to host a simple webpage, you load some free engine like Babylon that can read .OBJ and I think .DAE files too, and make your own exhibit with your work there, and no one will take it down for as long as you keep the server running.

No one is going to find, its a hassle and it requires that you dedicate a bunch of hardware specifically to support that site, that´s why no one does it and everyone ends up using amazon, but it is technically possible.

A powerful solar storm would be enough to make everything disappear and make our cell phones useful only as hammers.
We must always be aware that all this can disappear at any moment.
However, I was much more interested in the talk you started on Twitter and on reputation.

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

We've tried to tell you that about threads since you got here.

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I don't understand what this statement of yours has to do with the thread.

Can't say as I'm at all surprised.

No worries - I don't understand how what you post relates to anything either.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.