Continues grieving and the lax mentality around it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 864 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, LilNosferatu said:

The other day in London City, there was some avatar going around trying to troll with gesture spam and... they started doing this thing where they'd jump up onto someone else's shoulder and start dry humping them. 😂 It was kinda funny before it got old, but when they did that, they were effectively attached to whoever they jumped on until they detached themselves. They did it to both me and my bf, and neither of us got any permission pop-ups or anything. They just kinda popped onto us lol and remained on us if we moved around.

I'm still way too new to know what all can & cannot be done with scripts, but maybe-- however they were able to do that-- is something similar to what happened with OP? I would definitely describe that situation as someone attaching their avatar to someone else's without any permissions, but if that's not possible then I'm not sure how they did it. 😅 

What you most likely encountered was someone using a follow HUD that uses llMoveToTarget() using an optional offset animation.

These can range from offset huggers (HUD makes owner follow a target overhead with a negative z offset groping/hugging/etc. animation, placing their avatar's visual location at the target's location) to standing on a target's head or shoulders.

• Like 3

Just now, Lucia Nightfire said:

What you most likely encountered was someone using a follow HUD that uses llMoveToTarget() using an optional offset animation.

These can range from offset huggers (HUD makes owner follow a target overhead with a negative z offset groping/hugging/etc. animation, placing their avatar's visual location at the target's location) to standing on a target's head or shoulders.

Ah, I mean that makes sense. My point though was that whoever first mentioned something about griefers/trolls attaching themselves to other people's avatars, this could be similar to what they also experienced. :P Even if it's not technically correct that they "attached" in SL tech terms to their avatar. Just kinda seemed like the conversation dissolved into technicalities, when I think it's reasonable that someone with limited scripting knowledge would describe that situation as someone being able to attach themselves to you with no permissions asked/given.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

No I'm sorry but it's not like that.
I just press the hud that opens a menu and asks me which avatar I want to sit on. The other avatar doesn't have to accept anything, I guarantee you.

How exactly does this work?   

In particular, does it work if, having once sat on someone's shoulder, you then detach the HUD?   And do you need to sit on anything and, if you don't, do you need to be using RLV to make it work properly?   

The reason I ask about RLV is that, while llSetRot doesn't work when called from an attachment (the HUD), the RLV call @SetRot does, more or less.   That's why, if someone's leading their submissive or slave on a leash, the avatar being led needs to have RLV turned on if they're to track their dominant's direction as well as their position.

2 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

How exactly does this work?   

In particular, does it work if, having once sat on someone's shoulder, you then detach the HUD?   And do you need to sit on anything and, if you don't, do you need to be using RLV to make it work properly?   

The reason I ask about RLV is that, while llSetRot doesn't work when called from an attachment (the HUD), the RLV call @SetRot does, more or less.   That's why, if someone's leading their submissive or slave on a leash, the avatar being led needs to have RLV turned on if they're to track their dominant's direction as well as their position.

I don't know how it works but it works. You can buy one and test it on a combat sandbox with your friends, it's relative cheap. There is some bad reviews on it but the old version I bought a few years ago works perfectly fine.

Please read the sandbox rules before using it. 

Edited by Tama Suki
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A follower (fake attachment) script to play with in a sandbox. Just paste in a script in any object, preferably phantom.

vector gPos;

default{
    on_rez(integer Param){
        llResetScript();
    }
    state_entry(){
        llSetTimerEvent(.023); // SL 'Planck time'
    }
    timer(){
        list Details=llGetObjectDetails(llGetOwner(),[OBJECT_POS]);
        vector Pos=llList2Vector(Details,0);
        if(Pos!=gPos){
            llSetRegionPos(Pos);
            gPos=Pos;
        }
    }
}

2 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Technically, others can not attach anything to you in SL without your permission.

Also technically, objects can be scripted in a way that they appear to be attached to you without your permission. In reality, they follow you and stay very close to you.

Hope this resolves any confusion.

Technically and also literally! 

My experience happened on social island and as far as I know vehicles are not allowed to rez there? 

Edit: That was while ago, if someone did that in a non playful way now I would peace out and leave the island. But yah never received permission pop up for anyone trying to put their private part in my avatars face and prolly take a selfie. At the time I considered that playful and I did not report, but i have reported the ones who grab my avatar with them attached to me and fly me around all crazy, one time I dunked them in the sharks on social island cause I didn't know what else to do lol but they kept reattaching after the shark place reteleported us? Another time it was like someone casted a spell on me and sent me off flying saying something your hacked now. That one I reported. Governance would just have to look at the abuse reports filter key words and figure out what are the problems and come up with solutions.

Edit Edit: I would not cut scripting off to social island parts because it can happen in non scripted areas as well. 

Edit Edit Edit... I consider my tolerence threshold maxed out so what I consider playful happening to me could put off new residents and probably get me reported?. 

Edited by Paulsian
after thought
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2021 at 8:44 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

If your business relies on free LL resources like public sandboxes, then LL really doesn't owe you anything at all, because they have very little to gain from you.

This isn't true because the OP stated they are attempting to create content for this world and can not focus on creativity and learning which may turn them off at the idea of going premium.

That might be the stragity for those who see the new creator as a threat. Alienate them as much as possible so they go away.

I'm premium and I enjoy the non premium sandboxes, I don't like being isloated all the time and feeling like I have to go into a witness protection sandbox to get anything done and have had the same experiences there as well. People rezzing glow things on my work. Roblox is like that and I think that is where the behavior comes from. Building in roblox it's 100 times worse because if you don't lock your work they can destroy it.

That's another thing LL will hopefully consider coming up with solutions that protect new creators in official public sandboxes. Sure they can go somewhere else but what's the point of having a public sandbox if they are only being used by people waiting to jump on new residents and cause as much chaos as virtually possible?

The answer should be not brushing a serious concern off with the same suggestions used for 18 years that are not working but taking action to correct it as quickly as possible to prevent these things from happening in the future. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

The answer should be not brushing a serious concern off with the same suggestions used for 18 years that are not working but taking action to correct it as quickly as possible to prevent these things from happening in the future. 

Perhaps a nanny bot avatar posted at all public sandboxes that can monitor them? :)

the-nanny-fran-drescher-charles-shaughnessy-1014x570.jpg

Edited by Paulsian
:)
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2021 at 4:06 PM, Bree Giffen said:

That's a follower. It's not attached. 

That's another scary thing. I'm pretty sure these things can follow residents to places they teleport to as well like a tracker. I've noticed one person on social island follow me to bellisseria. On the mini map they show up on the edge of the region. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Paulsian said:

Next time this happens because it will: go to help at top of screen, click abuse at that moment the location information will be captured, and the person to report  (because we don't know) would be: Governor Linden. Include a brief summary of the situation.They will investigate.

also when you report Governor Linden from the report person drop down and search there are other Governor Lindens in several spelling variations whom are not Governor Linden. Official Lindens should be top of the list and there cute little verified logo should also be displayed.

I'm unsure who or why those were created something else to look into. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

also when you report Governor Linden from the report person drop down and search there are other Governor Lindens in several spelling variations whom are not Governor Linden. Official Lindens should be top of the list and there cute little verified logo should also be displayed.

No one can use the Linden last name except someone who works for Linden Lab.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:

This isn't true because the OP stated they are attempting to create content for this world and can not focus on creativity and learning which may turn them off at the idea of going premium.

That might be the stragity for those who see the new creator as a threat. Alienate them as much as possible so they go away.

I'm premium and I enjoy the non premium sandboxes, I don't like being isloated all the time and feeling like I have to go into a witness protection sandbox to get anything done and have had the same experiences there as well. People rezzing glow things on my work. Roblox is like that and I think that is where the behavior comes from. Building in roblox it's 100 times worse because if you don't lock your work they can destroy it.

That's another thing LL will hopefully consider coming up with solutions that protect new creators in official public sandboxes. Sure they can go somewhere else but what's the point of having a public sandbox if they are only being used by people waiting to jump on new residents and cause as much chaos as virtually possible?

What part of "Linden Lab will never get involved in resident-to-resident disputes" do you not understand?

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Paulsian said:

Oh my mistake, wonder who this is? 

Annotation 2021-12-21 141314.jpg

Someone who can be reported for using a.Linden display name.  Their user name is the actual.name.  

How to identify Lindens inworld

All Lindens have a username like firstname.linden, for example, philip.linden. You will see a person's user name below their display name, shown in their "name tag" that floats over them (unless you have set your preferences otherwise; see Me > Preferences > General).

Be careful to distinguish between username and display name. For this purpose, display name is irrelevant; only the username indicates whether someone is actually a Linden.

You can also see a person's username by right-clicking on their avatar and choosing View Profile

Impersonating a Linden

Any Resident who tries to intimidate you by claiming to be a Linden is violating Second Life's Terms of Service, and you should file an abuse report immediately.

An unscrupulous person may try to intimidate you by claiming that they are friends with a particular Linden, or that they are a Linden themselves. They may imply that they can ban your account or take your land from you if you don't submit to their demands. Real Lindens adhere to a strict code of conduct inworld, and will only ban Resident accounts and reclaim land under specific circumstances such as violations of the Terms of Service

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Governor Lindens

56 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

I guess my point is when support advises a resident to report Governor Linden if they do not know whom to report after already reporting Governor.Linden was in practice initially before the advisement, they should prolly advise to report Governor.Linden and not Governor Linden? Maybe something else that needs to be looked into.

or at the very least make it clear to report the correct account. For a new person if support says to report Governor.Linden they may see Governor Linden or search Governor and select the first one on the list? 

What's extra strange is when I search Gov is listed in one search but when I search governor is not included on the other list? hmm wonder why that is? Sure the spelling is not correct as I mention in the first instance of this problem. Not everyone is a great speller and in a panic they could be easily deceived. I guess that's okay.. 

gov.jpg

Annotation 2021-12-21 141314.jpg

Edited by Paulsian
after thought
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

I guess my point is when support advises a resident to report Governor Linden if they do not know whom to report after already reporting Governor.Linden was in practice initially before the advisement, they should prolly advise to report Governor.Linden and not Governor Linden? Maybe something else that needs to be looked into.

or at the very least make it clear to report the correct account. For a new person if support says to report Governor.Linden they may see Governor Linden or search Governor and select the first one on the list? 

If you type in Governer Linden you get ONE name.

https://gyazo.com/8d5c11021b838a5eea8e7990cf0681d0

https://gyazo.com/00efc2864e6e0a24a442e41837b5e0e2

The . is irrelevant

https://gyazo.com/7c187db17b4dfac06bcb121b6e7b96fd

ETA:  Older account user names are a combination of the First and last name in lower case separated by a period(.)(eg; lilmix.pixelmaid)

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:

Noticed I said several spelling veriations in my original comment regarding this issue. Lets see how many times I get attacked for that concern. Seriously if you do not intend on coming up with solutions as the OPer stated why are you here? 

Suggestion: as you can probably tell im a horrible speller and my grammar would give any english professional hives. Maybe a spell check underline (like the chat box has) in forums would help reduce future conflicts :) im just trying to help and maybe as well in the report search field?. That could help spot non official accounts like someone could create a GOVERN0R.LINDEN and the o is a number if someone searched just gov they would not know any better or people can use characters that look like english but are not.  

Edited by Paulsian
suggestion
  • Haha 2

On 12/19/2021 at 6:02 AM, Dorientje Woller said:

Don't know how well I can phrase it, but since a couple of weeks I am getting harassed, stalked, griefed or in a better legal term by the EU "Cyberbullied" and it seems targetted to my avatar by several objects, like the pushers/viewer crashers/deformers/chat channel objects and so on, that my creative output and mood for my store is reducing quiet a bit.

Thank you for posting this topic you are not alone in your concerns.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you type in Governer Linden you get ONE name.

https://gyazo.com/8d5c11021b838a5eea8e7990cf0681d0

https://gyazo.com/00efc2864e6e0a24a442e41837b5e0e2

The . is irrelevant

https://gyazo.com/7c187db17b4dfac06bcb121b6e7b96fd

ETA:  Older account user names are a combination of the First and last name in lower case separated by a period(.)(eg; lilmix.pixelmaid)

I don't trust links with site tracking listing ip addresses not to mention storing cookies on external browser for tracking. I'm not intrested in clicking your links. 

suggestion most operating systems have a screen snip tool that saves images without having to send people out of the forum to "see" what you posted. 

Edited by Paulsian
suggestion
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 864 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.