Continues grieving and the lax mentality around it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

37 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Interesting, no body has ever jumped on you and moved when you moved or forced you to move without your permission? 

If you have ever experienced this, it's usually because somebody wearing a large transparent sphere or cylinder simply walked into you and you were displaced by virtue of a simple collision. Use Ctrl-Alt-T to inspect somebody who seems to be approaching you if you aren't seated, and if you do get knocked around, use help- bumps pushes and hits to check what just happened to you and who the culprit was.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:

Those concern me too. Anything that pops up saying this will control your avatar and camera and list of other things is a: don't click yes or no cause no can mean yes. Basically delete the pop up it without touching it.

For a long time I didn't trust linden and mole created experiences. I have built up trust for those that are vetted. When I first started I didn't understand who the moles were, I thought they were spys so I was always very afraid of anything mole related. lol. 

As far as 3rd party experiences no way, nope unless there's a linden stamp of approval that will require reverification if the experience is modified. 

Maybe a built in user experience menu introduced during onboarding. Would you like to be bumped or pushed? Yes or No. Would you like to bump or push others? Yes or No and so on. The following script permissions are allowed to interact with your avatar: list of mesh bodies, and so on. 

Experience pop up: so and so is attempting to interact with your avatar via scripting allow? Then that would be placed in the permissions list as well as information regarding the scripting such as object/script creator (no of that multipe creator bs) list all creators as well as owner of that object seeking permission. 

As well as an experience Toolbar button located on the toolbar not hidden in the list of buttons you can add to the tool bar. 

May I suggest you take a look at the Knowledge Base article about Experiences?    It explains them very well, including what to do if anyone abuses them to grief you.

Experiences are very powerful tools, but LL have made it very easy to see which experience has done what, and to leave that experience if you want to, at least if it's a resident-owned experience rather than an LL-owned one, and to report any abuse of the experience to LL.

It's all explained in the KB article a lot better than I could explain it.   But, in short, if someone uses an experience to grief you (which they couldn't in a Linden-owned sandbox because the landowner has to allow the experience to run there in the first place, so the only experiences that can run in an official sandbox would be owned and maintained by LL) it's very easy to find out which experience it was and to cancel the permissions.

On a general note, the best way not to be pushed or orbited in a sandbox is to rez a cube and sit on it while you work.   That and derendering particles will frustrate most griefer tricks.  

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

On a general note, the best way not to be pushed or orbited in a sandbox is to rez a cube and sit on it while you work. 

It is sometimes more fun to use a very small cylinder, cancel the sit and apparently stand. Then when you get the feeling and confirmation that somebody near has just tried and failed to push you, tell them that a recent Linden upgrade stopped those scripts from working, but if they give you their script you know how to get around it. Get their script, make a trivial change, give it them back, and stand up for a brief visit to the sky.

That said, the few scripts I obtained in that manner didn't really show me anything I wasn't already aware of.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

It is sometimes more fun to use a very small cylinder, cancel the sit and apparently stand. Then when you get the feeling and confirmation that somebody near has just tried and failed to push you, tell them that a recent Linden upgrade stopped those scripts from working, but if they give you their script you know how to get around it. Get their script, make a trivial change, give it them back, and stand up for a brief visit to the sky.

That said, the few scripts I obtained in that manner didn't really show me anything I wasn't already aware of.

This may work with genuine newb griefer accounts new to SL, but not with seasoned griefers using "combat" HUDs and NPVs.

Indeed not. I've given up most of my anti-social-engineering operations anyway, it just stopped being interesting. The first few times something unexplained happens to you its a fascinating challenge to try and reproduce it, but then, having done that, what comes next? i'm not tempted to go out and use it on people, so the effort is very largely wasted. I spent the best part of a month once replicating something that was done to me in the Discordian Sandbox at the POEE Cabal (or was it the other way around), and having fnally worked out a possible explanation, I have no practical use for it.

2 hours ago, Paulsian said:

Residents can attach scripted objects to other residents to make them move all over like crazy without being in a sandbox, or shoots your avatar up in in they sky and you lose all control 3000 meters a very slow climb and when you land on the ground they do it again and again, or they attach themselves to you and then go to town moving you around in the sky, or they mess with your chat box where words are missing altered delayed

Someone who's a scripter should know better.  Please allow me to correct the above.

Residents cannot attach scripted objects to other residents. The pushing objects and the "avatar attached to another avatar" you describe are not attached, they are objects that FOLLOW you. (Granted, they follow so closely that they may SEEM to be attached.) Getting orbited requires getting hit by a very fast moving, invisible object, or, alternatively, being pushed into the sky by an invisible, physical flat plate or a sphere that surrounds you. Followers of all types will only work within the region where they are rezzed. They can be thwarted by teleporting to another region. (Note, if they stay rezzed, when you return to the original region, they will start to follow you again, dispensing whatever annoying behaviors they're programmed for.)

Most orbiters and pushers can also be defended against by simply sitting on an object, or on the ground, prior to the attack. Sitting turns your avatar Phantom, and it can no longer be shoved about.  It's a wise precaution to rez a comfy seat, or even just a plywood cube, and sit on it while working in a public sandbox.

The second situation you describe, "messing with your chat box" is called "ventriloquism". A scripted object, usually a HUD worn by the griefer, pretends to be you. The griefer can type all sorts of things like "Paulsian: I think Lindal Kidd is a complete doofus" and it will seem to the uninformed that you are saying it, not the griefer. Most third party viewers like Firestorm can block this practical joke, and all viewers, I believe, have the ability to put the chat from objects in a different color, to make it easier to see that an object is issuing the text, not the person it is pretending to be. (I find the situation where an idiot puts his music stream on his voice chat channel to be much more annoying. Whenever I run across this rude behavior, I mute the offender.)

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Nope.  Never, other than with a simple collision.  You cannot attach yourself to another avatar.  Period.

My alt (she's a pretty bad girl) has a shoulder sitter. Doesn't that serve to attach to another avatar?
Which, however, is more a defense technique than an attack. Very useful if someone sticks to you. You glue yourself too and for a physical dynamic that I don't understand both avatars glued to each other start flying. So you practically imprison the stalker and carry him high into the sky until he realizes he has lost the battle and decides to unstuck.

Edited by Tama Suki

15 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Nope.  You re both seated on the same vehicle.  Neither one of you is seated on the other one, despite what it looks like.

Sorry, shoulder sitter is not a veicle. You can use it to sit on an avatar, not on an object. May be i'm wrong but for sure i know you can sit on an avatar. Plenty of merchants sell this feature in the marketplace, have a look and you'll understand better what i am speaking about.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Sorry, shoulder sitter is not a veicle. You can use it to sit on an avatar, not on an object. May be i'm wrong but for sure i know you can sit on an avatar. Plenty of merchants sell this feature in the marketplace, have a look and you'll understand better what i am speaking about.

Sorry, it is. You cannot sit on an avatar. I have scripted small, invisible objects of this type (non-physical vehicles) many times over the last 15 years.  You use a very simple script that has basically little more than a control event to manage your keyboard's arrow keys (or WASD). When you sit, the script triggers a stand animation, so it looks like nothing changed.  When you use the arrow keys (or WASD) to move, it triggers a walk animation, so it's essentially acting as an AO. If a second person sits, the sit position may appear to be on your back or shoulder, but it's just a second seat on the scripted object, and that person is along for the ride, just as if both of you were riding in a visible car or on a visible elephant.

In fact, take a look at this thread that I created in the LSL Script Library almost ten years ago >>> 

The basic script in the first post is the "vehicle" script. If you put it in a transparent object that has a child prim with its own sit target, it's exactly what I have just described above.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Sorry, it is. You cannot sit on an avatar. I have scripted small, invisible objects of this type (non-physical vehicles) many times over the last 15 years.  You use a very simple script that has basically little more than a control event to manage your keyboard's arrow keys (or WASD). When you sit, the script triggers a stand animation, so it looks like nothing changed.  When you use the arrow keys (or WASD) to move, it triggers a walk animation, so it's essentially acting as an AO. If a second person sits, the sit position may appear to be on your back or shoulder, but it's just a second seat on the scripted object, and that person is along for the ride, just as if both of you were riding in a visible car or on a visible elephant.

In fact, take a look at this thread that I created in the LSL Script Library almost ten years ago >>> 

The basic script in the first post is the "vehicle" script. If you put it in a transparent object that has a child prim with its own sit target, it's exactly what I have just described above.

Because of my ignorance on the subject, I expressed myself badly.
You definitely don't sit on an avatar. It is however a script that allows you to glue yourself to an avatar. Then the hud author will have added the sit down animation. However that does, it allows you to glue yourself to an avatar.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tama Suki said:

Because of my ignorance on the subject, I expressed myself badly.
You definitely don't sit on an avatar. It is however a script that allows you to glue yourself to an avatar. Then the hud author will have added the sit down animation. However that does, it allows you to glue yourself to an avatar.

You may choose to call it "glued" if you wish, but the fact is that both of you are riding on the same non-physical vehicle.  Of course you move together, just as you would if you were riding in a car that was visible. You are the driver, using arrow keys or WASD to move just as if you were walking normally. The person who appears to be sitting on your shoulder is your passenger, sitting on the other seat of the vehicle.  It's a lovely, but very simple bit of visual magic. Trust me, scripters like me, Innula, and Lucia have been making these things for ages.

• Like 5

The other day in London City, there was some avatar going around trying to troll with gesture spam and... they started doing this thing where they'd jump up onto someone else's shoulder and start dry humping them. 😂 It was kinda funny before it got old, but when they did that, they were effectively attached to whoever they jumped on until they detached themselves. They did it to both me and my bf, and neither of us got any permission pop-ups or anything. They just kinda popped onto us lol and remained on us if we moved around.

I'm still way too new to know what all can & cannot be done with scripts, but maybe-- however they were able to do that-- is something similar to what happened with OP? I would definitely describe that situation as someone attaching their avatar to someone else's without any permissions, but if that's not possible then I'm not sure how they did it. 😅 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LilNosferatu said:

The other day in London City, there was some avatar going around trying to troll with gesture spam and... they started doing this thing where they'd jump up onto someone else's shoulder and start dry humping them. 😂 It was kinda funny before it got old, but when they did that, they were effectively attached to whoever they jumped on until they detached themselves. They did it to both me and my bf, and neither of us got any permission pop-ups or anything. They just kinda popped onto us lol and remained on us if we moved around.

I'm still way too new to know what all can & cannot be done with scripts, but maybe-- however they were able to do that-- is something similar to what happened with OP? I would definitely describe that situation as someone attaching their avatar to someone else's without any permissions, but if that's not possible then I'm not sure how they did it. 😅 

That's what Tama Suki and I have been discussing this evening, so read up to see how it's done.  And refer to http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Attachment for a basic discussion of what "attachment" means in SL. When something "attaches" to you, it becomes a part of your av.  With a shoulder sitter, you become a link in the scripted object's link set. It may look the same, but it's a very different process.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Uhu now I get it. I rez a vehicle/object, sit on it, and then that vehicle/object can attach itself to another avatar, right?

No.   The other avatar has to sit on the vehicle too, and the sit animation for the passenger places them at an offset so that they appear to be sitting on the shoulder of the first avatar, who normally will.be the driver. 

• Like 1

No - Experience type permissions are required for any sort of auto-attach and those are treated as temporarily attached items that often can simply be removed from the avatar they have attached to.

For a Sitter type vehicle to "attach to" an avatar .... it has to be worn by that avatar. Anything else is a "follower".

So no, you cannot rez out one of those things, sit on it and then have it "attach to" anyone else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

No.   The other avatar has to sit on the vehicle too, and the sit animation for the passenger places them at an offset so that they appear to be sitting on the shoulder of the first avatar, who normally will.be the driver. 

No I'm sorry but it's not like that.
I just press the hud that opens a menu and asks me which avatar I want to sit on. The other avatar doesn't have to accept anything, I guarantee you.

Edit.

My english is so rough and i'm so lazy that i built a sentence on google translator that doesn't make any sense.
LOL!

Edited by Tama Suki
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

No I'm sorry but it's not like that.
I just press the hud that opens a menu and asks me which avatar I want to sit on. The other avatar doesn't have to accept anything, I guarantee you.

In which case it's most likely the object that you're sitting on contains a follower script.  When you select an avatar from the menu it passes that target to the follower function and the script moves the object (and you) to the targets current position.  It probably uses a sensor and llDetectedRot to adjust the rotation of the object to match the direction the target is facing and a translation offset for the pose to place you in the general area of their avatars shoulder.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.