Jump to content

[Free Land Forever] Concept


Fearless McDonnell
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Fearless McDonnell said:

Thank you for the feedback! I am actually not a fan of MLM at all, and won't apply it on my project for sure. Forever is a strong word indeed but it's meant. You raised a good argument about what happens if they leave SL, and I can say that if they choose to leave SL, then they will lose the land with it. At the end of the day, we don't want beautiful private island filled with ghosts! Taking a break is a different case. There will be terms and conditions that would allow the evolution of a healthy and fun environment for all. This is going to be a huge project that anyone who fits the requirements can be implicated with, other than being only a resident. Talking about staff and managements levels.

I will be financing the project in the early stages, but then it should start generating its own money and support the ongoing expenses and paying for the private islands. In the fine print, there is a component that I am not ready to disclose publicly just yet, let's call it the engine of this project. So this engine will offer a unique opportunity that would allow the residents to own a land without buying it.

I think you misunderstand on purpose. It was quite clear: What happens when the people who pay Linden Lab several hundred dollars in real cash every month leaves SL? And those who thought they had [Free Land Forever] are left with no land.

I doubt you can finance as much as the first month.

11 hours ago, Fearless McDonnell said:

I am a friend of Elanor Roosevelt, and she once said that "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people". We all have the free will to choose which category we assign ourselves to. I am well aware of the financial obligations that are implicated with this project, and I can cover it. However, if the community (That will be the backbone of this project) has this kind of attitude, maybe I should steer my investment and ideas away.

Bye.

Edited by Marianne Little
added 2 words
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_Roosevelt

Died - November 7, 1962 (aged 78)

59 years ago.

The OP's quote is misattributed to both Eleanor Roosevelt and Admiral Hyman Rickover who died July 8, 1986 (aged 86) which has citations going back almost 200 years.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/11/18/great-minds/

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2021 at 4:37 PM, Fearless McDonnell said:

I am a friend of Elanor Roosevelt, and she once said that "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people". We all have the free will to choose which category we assign ourselves to. I am well aware of the financial obligations that are implicated with this project, and I can cover it. However, if the community (That will be the backbone of this project) has this kind of attitude, maybe I should steer my investment and ideas away.

Well, Eleanor Roosevelt said lots of things; for example, she once wrote on the margins of a draft document at the UN Committee on Human Rights that the Soviet ambassador was "as rude as a stable boy."

You've been very light on the subject of this "passive income" that these residents of your fiefdom would earn. How? Having their data scraped? Doing "fishing" or some other silly game where they also have to buy expensive equipment? On time, even? 

When land is free it is not valued, and things get stolen.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried this concept... 

I offer housing and apartments in my main city for free... (I still do).. max 30 to 60 prims.

But it's impossible to give all away for free. As been stated before we pay hundreds of dollars to LL for our land. This has to return from somewhere unless you're as rich as can be and 1000 Dollars (or more) is peanuts to you.

There are parcels around the middle part of my city that can be rented and it's this rent that pays for those prims lost in the city itself.

I got this concept from my town Ghent, Belgium (possible elsewhere too).
Where a cafeteria added a few cents to the regular coffee and this was so she could give free coffee to homeless people or those with little money. 
This worked in RL....  and of course a free coffee is not a free house! 

Conclusion in SL....

yes a lot took the offer to stay in the city for free.. but beside the limited prims they have not much rights.

I found out along the way when I started to offer paid parcels outside the city that 99% moved to the paid parcels!!!!!!
And the city was empty! (LOL)

I think it's a beautiful plan and if you have the funds then go for it.
I understand why most think it's fishy and I completely get that they ask for/want/need more info. Rightfully! 

I also understand that you don't want to share more info because you may be afraid the concept will be stolen. 
In that regard.. you better set it up.. fully, make sure you got all corners of the concept covered.. so that when you launch the idea "competitors" will need more time catching up.


Good luck! 
 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2021 at 4:02 PM, Bold Burner said:

I tried this concept... 

I offer housing and apartments in my main city for free... (I still do).. max 30 to 60 prims.

But it's impossible to give all away for free. As been stated before we pay hundreds of dollars to LL for our land. This has to return from somewhere unless you're as rich as can be and 1000 Dollars (or more) is peanuts to you.

There are parcels around the middle part of my city that can be rented and it's this rent that pays for those prims lost in the city itself.

I got this concept from my town Ghent, Belgium (possible elsewhere too).
Where a cafeteria added a few cents to the regular coffee and this was so she could give free coffee to homeless people or those with little money. 
This worked in RL....  and of course a free coffee is not a free house! 

Conclusion in SL....

yes a lot took the offer to stay in the city for free.. but beside the limited prims they have not much rights.

I found out along the way when I started to offer paid parcels outside the city that 99% moved to the paid parcels!!!!!!
And the city was empty! (LOL)

I think it's a beautiful plan and if you have the funds then go for it.
I understand why most think it's fishy and I completely get that they ask for/want/need more info. Rightfully! 

I also understand that you don't want to share more info because you may be afraid the concept will be stolen. 
In that regard.. you better set it up.. fully, make sure you got all corners of the concept covered.. so that when you launch the idea "competitors" will need more time catching up.


Good luck! 
 

Well...

First of all, thank you for taking the time to actually write this, regardless of the trolling posts. It might sound impossible to give it all away for free, but I have designed an effective way to achieve that, and it will be a WIN-WIN for everybody. It will sure require some investment in the beginning, around 1000 USD per month, but I can cover it, then it should start generating its own money to cover the running expenses.

Imagine this, you place your money in the bank, and you get the following:
1) It's your money, and you can do whatever you want with it with a full freedom. Nobody has access to it but you.
2) If you put the money in a saving account, you will get a regular interest out of it.
3) The bank uses your money to make money without owning your money.

My concept is not a bank, but it's somehow similar to the above.

What surprises me, is that most people are debating the legitimacy of the idea, meanwhile they are getting a land for free! It's like: Do you guys want the fruit, or to argue with the farmer? It seems to me that almost everyone wants to argue with the farmer, which is narrow-minded.

The only reason I am doing it here, is because I love SL, and I want to contribute to the community. I also could chose 10 other places to establish my idea at, but I chose SL.

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fearless McDonnell said:

My concept is not a bank, but it's somehow similar to the above

Linden will not allow any investment scheme in SL when that scheme does not have a real world counterpart

any number of people can invest in a real world scheme to own and rent land in SL, form a LLC for example.

however Linden does require that  a principal of the LLC be personally liable for the tiers, and Linden does not allow the promotion of the LLC on its platform, under the no selling of real world products and services rule. The investment in the LLC is a real world product

 

Edited by Mollymews
rule
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think you understand what the term "trolling" means.  There has been no trolling here.

It's also clear that you're deliberately avoiding giving details of your Big Master Plan.  That's just plain bad business, even if the BMP is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

So I'll pass.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

Linden will not allow any investment scheme in SL when that scheme does not have a real world counterpart

any number of people can invest in a real world scheme to own and rent land in SL, form a LLC for example.

however Linden does require that  a principal of the LLC be personally liable for the tiers, and Linden does not allow the promotion of the LLC on its platform, under the no selling of real world products and services rule. The investment in the LLC is a real world product

 

THIS

The rules surround "banks" in general exist explicitly because such things happened and the fallout was catastrophic.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2008/01/10/270541/second-life-closes-banks/

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Fearless McDonnell said:

What surprises me, is that most people are debating the legitimacy of the idea

Because you are promising the moon, but when asked about your rocket, you dodge every question thrown at you and accuse people of trolling. "Trust me, bro" isn't going to cut it. If your idea is legit, there should be no reason not to tell people about it. The only ideas better not disclosed are those that involve illegal or against the ToS things.

8 hours ago, Fearless McDonnell said:

meanwhile they are getting a land for free! It's like: Do you guys want the fruit, or to argue with the farmer? It seems to me that almost everyone wants to argue with the farmer, which is narrow-minded.

But there is no fruit. You are claiming to be a farmer and offering us free fruits, but you can't show us the fields and gardens, where your free fruit grows.

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Fearless McDonnell said:

Well...

First of all, thank you for taking the time to actually write this, regardless of the trolling posts. It might sound impossible to give it all away for free, but I have designed an effective way to achieve that, and it will be a WIN-WIN for everybody. It will sure require some investment in the beginning, around 1000 USD per month, but I can cover it, then it should start generating its own money to cover the running expenses.

Imagine this, you place your money in the bank, and you get the following:
1) It's your money, and you can do whatever you want with it with a full freedom. Nobody has access to it but you.
2) If you put the money in a saving account, you will get a regular interest out of it.
3) The bank uses your money to make money without owning your money.

My concept is not a bank, but it's somehow similar to the above.

What surprises me, is that most people are debating the legitimacy of the idea, meanwhile they are getting a land for free! It's like: Do you guys want the fruit, or to argue with the farmer? It seems to me that almost everyone wants to argue with the farmer, which is narrow-minded.

The only reason I am doing it here, is because I love SL, and I want to contribute to the community. I also could chose 10 other places to establish my idea at, but I chose SL.

Let me see if I understand, YOU will put YOUR money in an RL bank, and will use the interest that your RL bank account generates ($1000 dollars a month) to pay for SL land that you will be giving away?

Or are you saying that residents have to make an investment, and you would manage those investments to generate the $1000 to pay for land, wich, wouldnt be free and it would be completely illegal to do in SL?

So wich one is it? If its the first one, count me in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Let me see if I understand, YOU will put YOUR money in an RL bank, and will use the interest that your RL bank account generates ($1000 dollars a month) to pay for SL land that you will be giving away?

Or are you saying that residents have to make an investment, and you would manage those investments to generate the $1000 to pay for land, wich, wouldnt be free and it would be completely illegal to do in SL?

So wich one is it? If its the first one, count me in.

Hey everyone !! I have this great big pile of money and I can invest it so we all can (virtually) live off the interest! Totally legit!

Said no capitalist ever.

If you can't see the mark, you're the mark.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Hey everyone !! I have this great big pile of money and I can invest it so we all can (virtually) live off the interest! Totally legit!

Said no capitalist ever.

If you can't see the mark, you're the mark.

What are the odds that the master plan includes crypto in some way ?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2021 at 6:06 AM, Fearless McDonnell said:

then it should start generating its own money to cover the running expenses.

And if it doesn't?  How is it generating this money?  What happens if one month it doesn't generate enough?  These basic questions have not even been addressed.  There shouldn't be anything super secret and special about answering simple, basic questions.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

What the hell is wrong with all of you!!!!!!!

Someone in SL has an idea and all you can do is be rude and tell him how it won't work? There are all kinds of people in SL and each person usually has a skill, talent or idea they want to put to use. You all should be supportive and encouraging to any member who wants to do something. Great, voice what hesitations you may have about it and ask questions but don't be so rude!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, heidi412 said:

What the hell is wrong with all of you!!!!!!!

Someone in SL has an idea and all you can do is be rude and tell him how it won't work? There are all kinds of people in SL and each person usually has a skill, talent or idea they want to put to use. You all should be supportive and encouraging to any member who wants to do something. Great, voice what hesitations you may have about it and ask questions but don't be so rude!!!

Simmer down.

He was asked multiple times to explain how it WOULD work. He declined. 

I'm not sure why you want to stir it up again a month later, but I'm game! 🍿

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...