[Free Land Forever] Concept

Fearless McDonnell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks for reviving this, I hadn't seen it back when it was active. 🤣

I get not wanting to share all the ins and outs of a new concept in case someone comes in and swipes up your idea, but this guy is literally offering free land to people with apparently no strings attached, saying "trust me" and that's pretty shady. No one in here was overly rude, and there was certainly no trolling -- everyone seemed genuinely curious about the details and how this would work, which is completely fair.

OP said they'd cover the initial cost of the land, because within a couple months it would begin to generate its own revenue. I think it's 100% fair for people (potential residents of this free land, keep in mind) to ask how this revenue will be generated, if not from rent. No one wants to go move into some new place, apparently have to sign some ToS contract or agreement, think they're getting free land -- then suddenly get booted in a month because the idea didn't pan out, or after a month they're notified that they must start paying some ridiculous amount, or their homes must be AFK sex hotspots, etc.

If OP honestly has a way to offer free land to people, no fine print, no strings attached, no scams, no ToS-breaking shady stuff, then I don't see why he can't just come out and say "hey, I've got this concept based on this business model, here's my relevant experience, I'd need a community of about this many people to get it off the ground and I believe within a couple months' time we can generate the land revenue with this kind of business model". If someone sees it and wants to take his plan and do the same thing, then... great? More free land for everyone, yeah?

4 minutes ago, heidi412 said:

So cute when an adult can only respond with a silly emote. Well, I am fresh out of time to waste on ignorance for the day. Check back tomorrow..

Sorry I couldn't type the above message fast enough for your standards. 😳 So cute when an adult thinks they're entitled to some random stranger's immediate attention and time.

• Like 12

OP probably never come back because having received feedback they went off and read up on Linden's No Investment Banking rule in SL

that rule makes the promotion of OP's business model unactionable on the platform. Without the ability to promote the business on the platform then OP has to do this off-platform which affects the viability of the model. Viability question: How to promote to SL users and generate enough investment to sustain the business ?

technically the idea is sound:  Invest in the enterprise, get a parcel rental in lieu of a cash dividend. Sound meaning as an idea, the implementation of the idea is the hard part, which I presume OP has gone away to investigate more fully

Edited by Mollymews
the
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, heidi412 said:

What the hell is wrong with all of you!!!!!!!

Someone in SL has an idea and all you can do is be rude and tell him how it won't work? There are all kinds of people in SL and each person usually has a skill, talent or idea they want to put to use. You all should be supportive and encouraging to any member who wants to do something. Great, voice what hesitations you may have about it and ask questions but don't be so rude!!!

3 hours ago, heidi412 said:

Sweetheart anytime, and if you paid attention, he hasn't logged in for over a month. I wouldn't either with the support he received. 

10 minutes ago, heidi412 said:

If you lack the ability to respond correctly to someone, I suggest keeping comments like "Simmer Down" to yourself then. 

Are you sure that isn't you who can't respond correctly to someone...sweetheart?

• Like 11

On 1/10/2022 at 8:17 PM, heidi412 said:

What the hell is wrong with all of you!!!!!!!

Someone in SL has an idea and all you can do is be rude and tell him how it won't work? There are all kinds of people in SL and each person usually has a skill, talent or idea they want to put to use. You all should be supportive and encouraging to any member who wants to do something. Great, voice what hesitations you may have about it and ask questions but don't be so rude!!!

People love to be rude. People love to laugh at others. People love to make people feel bad. People love to point fingers at others. Or be overly dramatic and sarcastic.  And especially on fora, the keyboard warriors have no issues feeling superior over others. Insecurity has a lot to do with it. People have a very hard time not making posts personal. The minute they start attacking people off topic .. you can tell... the point of a post usually get's lost.
And then there is only text as well... where only emoji's can add nuance to sentences on how the words written must be perceived. And not all of us use emojis. So again intention can get lost And then there are those that jump on the bandwagon of other keyboard warriors.
And ... we have people who are genuinely interested, even supportive and willing to find out more about this idea but then end up hitting a brick wall that keeps the needed information to make a decision locked away behind it.

You all should be supportive and encouraging to any member who wants to do something

Well in this case I see many who left a post are supportive in the sense that they want more information to see if it's worth to jump into.
They showed interest..

It's not the first time in second life, and unfortunately not the last time, that people will try to mislead and trick people in participating in concepts that later on turns out to be a scheme.
So the skepticism is not only real, it's valid.

That being said. I love your spirit and your desire for a warm, kind, loving, supportive forum community. Up my league!

My advice: use it to formulate your support on the topic and forget about trying to change the keyboard warriors, or even respond to them. It's lost energy.
In time you'll toughen up, as they won't go away and if you let it get to you, all you will gain is acid reflux and bad migraines.

Peace! 🤗

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bold Burner said:

People love to be rude. People love to laugh at others. People love to make people feel bad. People love to point fingers at others. Or be overly dramatic and sarcastic.  And especially on fora, the keyboard warriors have no issues feeling superior over others. Insecurity has a lot to do with it. People have a very hard time not making posts personal. The minute they start attacking people off topic .. you can tell... the point of a post usually get's lost.
And then there is only text as well... where only emoji's can add nuance to sentences on how the words written must be perceived. And not all of us use emojis. So again intention can get lost And then there are those that jump on the bandwagon of other keyboard warriors.
And ... we have people who are genuinely interested, even supportive and willing to find out more about this idea but then end up hitting a brick wall that keeps the needed information to make a decision locked away behind it.

Well in this case I see many who left a post are supportive in the sense that they want more information to see if it's worth to jump into.
They showed interest..

It's not the first time in second life, and unfortunately not the last time, that people will try to mislead and trick people in participating in concepts that later on turns out to be a scheme.
So the skepticism is not only real, it's valid.

That being said. I love your spirit and your desire for a warm, kind, loving, supportive forum community. Up my league!

My advice: use it to formulate your support on the topic and forget about trying to change the keyboard warriors, or even respond to them. It's lost energy.
In time you'll toughen up, as they won't go away and if you let it get to you, all you will gain is acid reflux and bad migraines.

Peace! 🤗

A sound mind, thank you. Clearly yes these are young minds who thrive on tearing people down to make themselves feel good. If there is one thing, I despise its people being so rude to someone with a great idea. This man didn't ask for people to tell him why it won't work, in fact he said numerous times he was not going to disclose details. Yet everyone continued to tell him why it won't work and criticized him for even thinking it could be possible. 

Sl is known mainly as being a sex game, and honestly as a newbie I totally understood why it had this reputation. I almost left myself until I met a few good people. Maybe it is simply my character, but I do not believe in tearing someone down when they are trying to do nothing more than improve something. The people above, reacting with silly emotes, and making rude comments are the reason people stop coming to SL. 

I am totally going to take your advice and I really appreciate your response!

Thanks Again

Heidi

5 hours ago, Bold Burner said:

Thank you, 

• Like 1

I think this idea is completely plausible given Data is worth substantially more than the price of entry for small parcel around 144SQM Linden could afford to give out these parcels to specified users (Probably Verified Accounts With Payment Info but do not have Premium) These users would be granted land to generate Data for SL to proccess/use as needed (Essentially we already do this in a way...)

As for the passive income, have the Data be Claimable by the users, this would allow the user to either use the generated "tokens" per say for either buying more land (Inwhich LL could then resell these 'tokens' to fund the servers...) OR even desentrallize the Servers alltogether and head down the crypto aproach...

Rambles but yeah this is 100% doable but it depends on if LL wants to run it and manage such a Play to Earn system or if they are willing to pawn of the load to ledger. (Thus allowing people to Pawn off a small load for the free land as well perhaps...)

Would be cool, not sure if SL staff or managment has what it takes to make for this push, only time will tell!

Edit: this could be done on an individual user bases but would require a heavy lifting outside of SL to manage the Data you are collecting and destributing to the users who created the data in the first place (IE Stats on the sim, obj placement, automation/moveable parcels instantly, features features features bleh.) This is a great idea and I myself am interesting in such a SL, lets hope someone/somepeople decide to move forward with such a goal. 

Edited by NardweBones
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, heidi412 said:

You and your people are the reason others with good ideas leave.

"Stop chasing the snake oil salesmen out of town! I want to buy his magic potion but he always runs away before I can!"

Jokes aside, if you honestly don't have the critical thinking skills to look at OP's idea, realize the glaring issues, and see that everyone was just seeking clarification to those glaring issues, then idk what to tell you... except maybe if a Nigerian prince emails you asking for money, please don't send it to him. If people call your phone claiming to be from Microsoft, please don't go buy $500 in iTunes gift cards.

• Like 7

On 12/1/2021 at 9:46 PM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I've seen this business model before.

image.png

That was the very first episode of South Park I ever saw...and that damn song is STILL an earworm in my head!  "Gotta go to work!  Work all day!  Stealing underpants, yay!  Gotta go to work!  Work all day!  Stealing underpants, yay! Work, work, work!  Work all day!  Stealing underpants, yay!  Gotta go to work!  Work all day!  Stealing underpants, yay!"

-- Rabid Cheetah

Second Life Member

August 10, 2006 - December 21, 2021

• Like 2

Free land forever - that implies that tenants pay nothing ever.

I fail to see how that can be made profitable.

Merchants will not likely want to set up satellite stores for people known not to want to pay anything. Parties and events will not bring in the level of income needed to maintain a sim.

Residential sims can and indeed do exist by being well designed and providing rental at levels that meet the costs.

Personally I'd rather never get into rental again as it has no security - I am quite happy with my own land.

Edited by Kyle Blackwood

Play to Earn model would need to be better implemented in the game for "Free Land" to be a thing. We need a way for users to generate useful data while interacting with the game servers, then reward them with tokens that represent this data. The user then could choose to sell their own data for Linden or keep it for internal game use only.

Edited by NardweBones
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, NardweBones said:

Pay to Earn model would need to be better implemented in the game for "Free Land" to be a thing. We need a way for users to generate useful data while interacting with the game servers, then reward them with tokens that represent this data. The user then could choose to sell their own data for Linden or keep it for internal game use only.

tenor-5785324.gif.f9639b08d3655a75ccc8cf3f90eeca41.gif

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

tenor-5785324.gif.f9639b08d3655a75ccc8cf3f90eeca41.gif

Do you say this because you have experience in this sort of field? The Play to Earn Model is a newer idea that very few Cypto communities have started to attempt to adopt/use

One may not think it is possible, but I assure it is and is already being done on other platforms!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NardweBones said:

Do you say this because you have experience in this sort of field? The Play to Earn Model is a newer idea that very few Cypto communities have started to attempt to adopt/use

One may not think it is possible, but I assure it is and is already being done on other platforms!

I do not have experience in it, nor do I want any. I don't want to "play to earn", nor do I want to sell my information. None of that sounds at all appealing to me. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NardweBones said:

The Play to Earn Model is a newer idea that very few Cypto communities have started to attempt to adopt/use

we"r no crypto community, and many older players remember the SL banking and stock market... that's a bit NO NO by TOS now.
Pay a non veryfiable business or person for something that might never bring any revenue is even worse than that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NardweBones said:

Play to Earn model would need to be better implemented in the game for "Free Land" to be a thing. We need a way for users to generate useful data while interacting with the game servers, then reward them with tokens that represent this data. The user then could choose to sell their own data for Linden or keep it for internal game use only.

Which may or may not have anything to do with the OP as they never did explain exactly how they were planning to generate the income.  THAT is what people were questioning and what was never addressed.  

No one sane would get involved in something without knowing the basic facts BEFORE becoming involved.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I actually understand why the OP doesn't want to share his idea publicly, and he did ask whoever wanna know more about it to just send him a message in world, he will tell you what you need to know, you don't lose anything;  ( if you sincerely interested ) to just ask privately, what's the problem with that? you can say no, if you didn't like it, simple as that.

I'm not interested in the idea, but if i was, i would just simply send the message.

what i see here; is just curiosity no real interest.

Therefore, for those who read all the posts in this topic, made it this far, and would like to be part of the project and committee. Please send me a private message that includes your email address. Priority goes to those who have old accounts, still active in SL, and willing to volunteer some of their time for this project until it kicks off. Only 4 members will be taken in. A meeting will be scheduled soon to go over the details.

I will be doing this in good faith, and I hope to have a mutual feeling in return.

but I cannot share the core idea publicly just yet. However, if you are interested to be part of the project and become a member of the committee, I will lay all my cards on the table for all of you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.