Completely ersased Firestorm from my computer - I thought ?

cunomar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is why I write down or print off anything important . Ink on paper is not guaranteed to update itself resulting in spontaneous combustion .

Fell out with a taxi service I've used for 20 years recently because they wanted me to install an app on my phone , no other way to book or pay .

I chose to walk and be late instead because i don't need a taxi service umbilical cord reminding me 24/7 how wonderful they are and recommending i visit places i have no interest in going .

Ain't no choice no more , I'm better with computers than my gf so she has an ipad and iphone which do all the choosing for you . Takes me all day to wipe and restore to factory settings and most of it is spent removing what i can , or turning off what i can't , anything windows promotes as helpful .

Strange how my gf gets different news from me don't you think .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

It is not Firestorm's computer, and they are not free to decide what's in it.

Exactly! Firestorm doesn't own the chat logs the user may want to keep. So it's in their own interest to delete the logs by themself. This is the common practice - or have you seen other applications silently deleting your data? Like: Uninstall Word: All your documents deleted. Uninstall Blender: All your models deleted. Uninstall some other game: All your savegames gone. Uninstall your mail client: All mails gone. Not sure why you advocate such a brain-dead behavior...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cunomar said:

It's not silent , they ask do you intend to reinstall yes/no

It doesn't matter.

The user may not read the text, or be able to read the language the text is written in, or click the button by mistake.

The fall ourt from deleting chat logs in the installer would incur a major and on going support nightmare.

It's not going to happen. Ever. End of discussion.

If you want them gone, delete them yourself.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cunomar said:

Lol i don't even care about chat history i just wanted default settings because my Firestorm is broken . Its always helpful to have a Dictators input though 😏

So, did you follow the 9 Steps on the Firestorm web page I sent you, to do a Clean Install of Firestorm yet? Did it fix your problem?  Are you happy you now have a Default Firestorm with all of your personal data deleted?

Edited by Jaylinbridges

Linden Lab once made the error of including the entire contents of the user's AppData\Roaming\Secondlife directory (Example: C:\Users\ardyl\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\*).  It was a bad move.  PERIOD.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but to my way of thinking, uninstall means uninstall everything. When I uninstall a programme, I don't expect things to be left behind. Chat logs, usernames, etc. are parts of the viewer's system. Obviously I'd accept questions like, "Do you want to remove the chat logs, user details, etc.?" during the removal process, but the programme must not leave them in the computer without asking.

The responses to my post are only about computer owners actually wanting to continue with Second Life - just like those who responded ;) It's a very narrow-minded view that may be true sometimes, but it should never be assumed.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm sorry, but to my way of thinking, uninstall means uninstall everything. When I uninstall a programme, I don't expect things to be left behind. Chat logs, usernames, etc. are parts of the viewer's system. Obviously I'd accept questions like, "Do you want to remove the chat logs, user details, etc.?" during the removal process, but the programme must not leave them in the computer without asking.

You better uninstall any viewer immediately then - all programs made by idiots not respecting the principle of deleting user data on uninstall! Quick! Before you might end up keeping personal data on your computer!

• Like 2

All fixed .

I deleted nothing , saved nothing , uninstalled nothing . Searched google for "Clean copy Firestorm" and downloaded it from here https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/downloads .

Only thing i did different this time having read it as an advisory is to click no when download finishes and offers to launch .Why not remove that offer ?

And we now know Metaverse will fail because the minority oops no i mean the elite smart people who actually enjoy programming are scared of yes/no buttons so the stupid people must learn to be programmers regardless of how much they hate it .

Many thanks to all for taking the time to reply , I will now spend an hour fixing the simplest stupid stuff i shouldn't have to , like why do i need to see my name above my head ? whats with the partical beam anyway ?, click on an avatar to face them ?

I know i can fix all this nonsense because somewhere along the line somebody told me i could , and i have no doubt at all EVERYONE does the same just as soon as they can so why isn't it set up that way by default ?

I keep camera , hover height and movement tabs on my screen always which won't suit everyone , but if default was the same we might not see so many newbies running everywhere . Many will minimize it back to the standard tab after they recognize what it is .

So much really simple stuff could be fixed if LL would just invite some older people who have never used a computer before just to study what they struggle with while offering no other advice other than "google it"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If I want to remove a programme, say Skype or FileZilla, from my computer, I want everything to do with it removed. I do not want it's creators to decide that they'll leave some stuff behind, occupying some of my computer, perhaps in case I might want to install the programme again. I find it very odd that some people are happy for programmes to occupy bits of their computers when they've told them to go. But each to his/her own, I suppose.

• Haha 1

I don't much care Phil i just like things to work , like cars with few electronics . Chat history doesn't matter to me because i don't lie while at the same time assuming everyone lies to me .

And TP history , if someplace was important to me i'm sure i could find it again .

Year on year laptops come with more memory , not because they improved anything but because they need it to keep working for the user despite all the millions of files of spyware marketing junk they crammed in .

The majority of people carry a tracker logging their movements 24/7 without ever giving it a second thought . I recently tried to update my NVidia and I can't because I don't have a google or facebook account - wtf is that about ?

• Haha 1

I turned off all logs well over 10 years ago as I have zero need for them. And all has been well. Although small in memory size, all that 'logging' would've just sat unread and unused in a folder while quietly eating away drive space, like beavers 'logging' in a lakeside forest.... (!)

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never gave a single f*k about crash logs or im logs so all logging is disabled since the first time i run SL 12 years ago, for me they are nonsense cause we are talking about a game and nothing more. Apart from that my operating system is a live one (loaded to RAM) nothing is stored to disks/flash/wherever.
(I keep important files / work related stuff on an external storage device+cloud drive and that's it.)

When it comes to the game installer , it is a generic installer so expect it to be generic and nothing more than that.

..many of us have made a custom one with our preferences of course.

59 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Did you create a settings backup/restore folder for your new viewer yet?  Otherwise redoing all your individual viewer settings manually again, should you need to clean-install ever again,  is a time-consuming pain as you will have gathered by now. 

No , I got nothing to backup , I save only pics so i can revisited them while mulling over in my own mind how its almost what i'd like to make . I'm not very good at drawing plans so when i start chopping and welding , joining metal , or wood , or anything else its all kinda freehand so if i lose the pic it doesn't matter anyway .

Important stuff gets printed off and its all stored in my one and only work email anyway .

My Firestorm remains pretty much standard other than to increase drawer distance a bit other than to turn off stupid stuff listed earlier and voice/music/sounds which i dont need because my laptop stays muted anyway .

I'm very different.

I've edited all Firestorm's settings to the point where my user interface looks (and behaves) 99.9% like the classic v1.23 Linden Lab viewer of the late 2000's, the same time when I joined SL.

I find the current LL viewer to be completely unusable due to its clunky and bizarre redistribution of familiar buttons, tabs, windows and features which I had become very used to in their classic viewer. I was mortified when a newer style viewer was forced on us all and was something vastly inferior and difficult to adapt to, causing many people to switch to Firestorm, which had the ability to look like the original LL viewer.

This editing to my retro-looking Firestorm viewer goes as far as having the exact same text colours, fonts and font sizes,  the arrangement of feature buttons on the bottom main toolbar, the positioning of horizontal IM tabs, friends lists, the avatars Pie Window, and disabling all Display Names (I prefer to see real account names, not their aliases) and even having the same old-school orangey floating text over my avatars head. And much much more...

Editing all these many settings manually again after a clean reinstall would take me an age, so I'm glad that Setting Backup exists and does it all with one Restore click.

I also use Singularity viewer, which is a continuation of the classic LL viewer, which is maintained by a team of non-LL individuals who have added most, if not all, of the modern viewer's  features that the classic LL viewer lacked, due to it's age.  Singularity viewer still looks like the classic LL viewer interface, because it is the same viewer!

If you've never seen or used the classic LL viewer before, I would recommend trying Singularity to see and prove how much better it is, particually with building and editing objects with its more detailed object resizing and positioning in it's Edit window.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

Your light years ahead of me Sarah . Firestorm is all I know and this SL is my first and very probably last of anything of its kind .

I still sit in my cave grumbling when i hit the off button only to be presented with options - what is the matter with these people do they not know what off means lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I confess to being utterly baffled by some of the comments on this thread.  For one thing I saw no-one seeming to understand the difference between uninstalling a programme (an app to some younger users) and updating one.  It is very useful  to have some elements of a programme's settings saved so that the set-up of the update is made easier and quicker. Also what is so difficult and onerous about responding to a process asking a simple yes/no question?

The whole point of such refinements is to give the user a choice!

To some, it seems to me, choice is something they neither want nor need and they don't want others to have it either!

The instructions given by the uninstall utility are simple and clear.  They are NOT hard to follow.

For those who dislike these issues my response is simple.  I strongly advise you never to use computers.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.