Banned words?

Kerri Anderton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Kerri Anderton said:

These words are 'Belle", "Snow White" and "Cinderella".

Why are these characters banned? I am confused.

Hm, probably what Sid said - although, Disney doesn't actually own Cinderella or Snow White; both are Grimm tales from the 19thC and are thus public domain. 

The specific likeness of Snow White and Cinderella as they appear in their respective Disney films, however, are owned by Disney.

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Disney copyrights?

Maybe 'Disney copyright', but there are tons of listings with 'Cinderella' in them.

I'd probably open a Support ticket asking why those words are banned.  Unlikely that LL will give a satisfactory response, but I'd do it anyway.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

The owners of the Peter Pan brand are not Disney either, as Peter Pan belongs (in perpetuity) to a London children's hospital, the Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH).

The hospital was featured in the opening ceremony of London's 2012 olympic games.

And it saved the life of a friend of mine when we were children. Twice. She was in the Parrot ward. She's now married with a child, and we truly thought we were going to lose her. 

Sorry. As you were.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kerri Anderton said:

OK thanks to LittleMe Jewell 

In my Marketplace I described the characters of Snow White, Cinderella and Belle as Disney characters, unknowingly I fell foul of the 

"copyright" rules. The banned word was "Disney". There was a rule change years ago which banned claiming "copyright".

Oh well!

It's for the best.  Better to get a listing banned by LL than let it go up and then find yourself hit by a Disney lawsuit that bankrupts you and all your descendants for the next seven generations. Disney are really vicious in defense of their copyright.

• Like 2

Definitely what Ceka said.  Those images will get your listings pulled down also.  And ditto for the snoopy, woody woodpecker, spongebob, darthvader, elsa from frozen, - and any other products using original images from other companies.

Side question:  What exactly are you selling in those listings that say things like 'snoopy character' or 'cinderella character'?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

7 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Make sure you also remove the words 'Hell's Angels'. Using these words for a 5-L$ sculptie motorcycle on Marketplace will result in getting your SL account suspended for two weeks.

Is that because they come and beat you up? :o

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Is that because they come and beat you up?

“part of the strategy is to bring shock-and-awe [copyright- and trademark-related] cases and to shine a bright light on them in federal court and the media”

The Hells Angels' lawyers sued Disney for their intent to make a movie (Wild Hogs) that had an alleged part with Hells Angels in it. (It didn't, but it was good publicity for them.)

There's a large role for the Hells Angels in Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's book 'Good Omens'. The 2019 TV adaptation, very wisely, does not have the Hells Angels in it. Which is a shame, because it was one of the best parts. The original hell's angels, of course, were War, Famine, Pollution (Pestilence retired after the discovery of penicillin) and Death. When gathering in a bar to prepare for *spoiler alert* the apocalypse, they encountered a few English members of the Hells Angels motobike gang. The bikers were in such awe of their namesakes that they decided to join them and adopt nicknames of their own, like 'Grievous Bodily Harm', 'and 'Cruelty To Animals'. One biker could never make up his mind. As a running gag throughout the second half of the book, he'd constantly have a new name. I wonder if Gaiman quietly settled with the Hells Angels and pays them royalties. Or maybe they're just satisfied with the way they're depicted in the story and leave him alone. Or maybe Gaiman's lawyer is just better than theirs. Maybe he'll appear in Drax' Second Life Book Club one day and I'll ask him. (There's an actual chance that that may happen. After all, Ringworld's Larry Niven had been a guest there too.)

From the book:

Biker: "You're Hells Angels, then? What chapter are you from?"
Death: "REVELATIONS, CHAPTER SIX."

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.