Earth 2 and others

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Second Life is needed now! Someone needs to put it up a viable alternative to Earth 2 and other ****!  As Second Life is proven and I'm tired of hearing about these scams.  I want to hear how Linden Labs is using this momentum to bring people to Second Life!

Make it so SL is where everyone wants to come to when the bubble bursts.

Edited by BjRazzz Qinan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

14 hours ago, BjRazzz Qinan said:

Second Life is needed now! Someone needs to put it up a viable alternative to Earth 2 and other ****!  As Second Life is proven and I'm tired of hearing about these scams.  I want to hear how Linden Labs is using this momentum to bring people to Second Life!

Earth 2 is one of several NFT based virtual land based scam / ponzi schemes.

What are LL doing to promote SL, reach new users and attract people to the platform ... that's a good question.

• Like 4

Been watching Earth 2 from the safe distance. It's fascinating how easy these scams get momentum, often promising just a fracture of what is already achieved in Second Life. 

I got an impression though that the main lure of them is "get rich quick!" promise, and meta verse, virtual worlds and such is just a shiny shell to attract techy dreamers. 

• Like 1

Oh, that thing. It's like Upland, on a larger scale. You can buy areas on a map, with vague promises about a 3D world being built so you can do something with your piece of the map.

There's a good chance this is illegal in the US, as an unregistered security offering. There's something called the "Howey test" which is used to determine if something being offered for sale is a security. The basic concept is that if you sell a token that's for something that exists right now, that's probably OK. If you sell a token for something that doesn't fully exist yet, that's promoting a speculative investment. Which is reasonable enough. You buy land rights in Second Life, you can visit the virtual land, build on it, and have your friends over. That's fine. You buy land rights in Earth 2, and you are hoping that they "transform into the world's geographical virtual land platform, introduce our global economic simulator and continue building our E2 Terrain Engine to provide massive, realistic, real time rendered geolocated 3D environments." That's not OK.

That's almost the definition of a "blue sky" investment.

A few years back, the big thing was "ICOs", "initial coin offerings". In 2018, the Securities and Exchange Commission brought the hammer down on the ICO industry. They pursued criminal charges against the worst offenders (the first one was the crypto coin supposedly backed by diamonds and land, in reality backed by nothing), and sent the others a letter, asking why they hadn't registered with the SEC as an investment offering. Suddenly the entire Initial Coin Offering thing just disappeared. A legit business could have made the SEC filings and kept going. Very, very few did. Here's a list of SEC enforcement actions related to ICOs, etc.

The SEC hasn't yet cracked down on NFTs yet. They're known to be considering enforcement actions.

23 hours ago, BjRazzz Qinan said:

I joined when the bubble started in 2007, it burst a long time ago.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I joined when the bubble started in 2007, it burst a long time ago.

not the SL bubble; the Earth 2 or Planet IX bubble. which is what I'm talking about or others.  surely there are people who really do want a virtual world.  Then there are also there the people who want to make a quick buck then there are the people who just want to see the(ir) world burn. which they will see sooner then later hopefully.

I totally agree with Pancake's sentiment:

17 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

What are LL doing to promote SL, reach new users and attract people to the platform ... that's a good question.

its why I made this thread!

Edited by BjRazzz Qinan

20 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

...adds some junk to the bottom of the thread.

God, I soooo want to do that as I am feeling a bit silly atm after a long hard days work, but the OP does have a point I suppose. No need to hijack the thread with totally silly stuff all the time as @Coffee Pancake is correct; it was a good question. Sorry for the hijinks (sorta lol). Gotta resist temptation... Gotta be respectful... Gotta resist temptation... 😁

But what a opening @Madelaine McMasters! lol 😉

Peace...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.