Let's Hate Windows 11

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I guess I do not have to do much... but.. should I?!?! I remember when I purchased my Alien laptop it said it would be win 11 up-gradable..

win 11.JPG

I don' t know if you should ( that' s up to you to decide ). I can safely say you can and it will work, but the upgrade is not mandatory and there are caveats : the taskbar for instance can no longer be moved and is ony availiable on the bottom of your screen. 

It' s a matter of preference really. You might as well wait until the first bugs are squashed or any alterations are made or reversed. You current Windows 10 will work just fine in the meantime and the upgrade offer lasts until mid 2022

Edited by TDD123

Just now, Lindal Kidd said:

That's a baseless rumor.

No, it's a fact. At least with the Windows Insider Preview I run right now. The taskbar can be automatically hidden, yet it cannot be moved to the sides or top of your screen  anymore. It' s kept on the bottom. 

I expect enough backlash on this towards Microsoft , so they might reverse it if enough people complain about it. 

Edited by TDD123

Just now, Lindal Kidd said:

See, the Linux Illuminati suck you in with stuff like this.  Then when you try to run Photoshop, or Word, or get your email or actually DO anything, you get...

image7.png&f=1&nofb=1

Whatever you are showing here is unrelated to trying to run the stuff you mention : these are results of compiling Comodo Antivirus.

Haters gonna hate ... :|

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

See, the Linux Illuminati suck you in with stuff like this.  Then when you try to run Photoshop, or Word, or get your email or actually DO anything, you get...

image7.png&f=1&nofb=1

I don't know about now but back in the days that i used to be an MCSE.. Comodo was a very good antivirus, probably not the best but for free it was great (for windows).

Of course it is unrelated. It''s a random Terminal snapshot I grabbed off the web. I'm just pointing out that it seems that most people who run Linux wind up tinkering under the hood more than they do actually using real, useful software.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Of course it is unrelated. It''s a random Terminal snapshot I grabbed off the web. I'm just pointing out that it seems that most people who run Linux wind up tinkering under the hood more than they do actually using real, useful software.

Ah .. so all pure Windows-only users are the most productive people in the world ? And software which is closed, proprietary and vulnerable to viruses like no other is the best choice for security ?  

If there was anything true about what Coffee Pancake is implying then why isn't Windows accepted by all governments and official institutions all around the globe ? Not even your own government or academics trust Windows to it's fullest. Figure that. 

Admitted .. I'm an end-user only in any environment. But I don' t disgrace one to favour the other. 

ETA : Final post in this thread. 

Edited by TDD123

5 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Ah .. so all pure Windows-only users are the most productive people in the world ? And software which is closed, proprietary and vulnerable to viruses like no other is the best choice for security ?  

If there was anything true about what Coffee Pancake is implying then why isn't Windows accepted by all governments and official institutions all around the globe ? Not even your own government or academics trust Windows to it's fullest. Figure that. 

Admitted .. I'm an end-user only in any environment. But I don' t disgrace one to favour the other. 

Is that Linux version pretty user friendly?

I've been dying to get away from windows, especially this last version.. They really seem to want to get more and more in my business or put me out there more..

I don't care for all the junk that came with the version I'm on now..

I want some peace and quiet and peace of mind for a change.. hehehe

17 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Would you prefer a genuine Microsoft Linux? Brand new made from the fellows @ MS Headquarters.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Is that Linux version pretty user friendly?

I've been dying to get away from windows, especially this last version.. They really seem to want to get more and more in my business or put me out there more..

I don't care for all the junk that came with the version I'm on now..

I want some peace and quiet and peace of mind for a change.. hehehe

No linux distros are significantly different from Windows in that

1) you are expected to use what you're given (ie what the devs hope will keep you using it)

2) Nothing seems to last more than four years now, even the Lubuntu Long-term distros I have settled on are stating they will be supported for more than a three-year period.

3) Every OS need a certain amount of tinkering under the hood to make it fit a specific user's needs

The main points where Linux does score over Windows 10 are that you don't have to put up with lots of bloat such as games feeds, news and weather apps, new features that you might not/don''t want to use. Linux is more of an opt-in/opt-out OS where windows 10 is a "This is our choice, not yours" situation.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

No linux distros are significantly different from Windows in that

1) you are expected to use what you're given (ie what the devs hope will keep you using it)

2) Nothing seems to last more than four years now, even the Lubuntu Long-term distros I have settled on are stating they will be supported for more than a three-year period.

3) Every OS need a certain amount of tinkering under the hood to make it fit a specific user's needs

The main points where Linux does score over Windows 10 are that you don't have to put up with lots of bloat such as games feeds, news and weather apps, new features that you might not/don''t want to use. Linux is more of an opt-in/opt-out OS where windows 10 is a "This is our choice, not yours" situation.

That's a big thing I hate about windows.. How much junk/bloat they keep adding with every update it seems..

I like the sound of opt in/opt out..

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

like the sound of opt in/opt out..

This is my point though, it's not a given, it's there because at the moment they can offer it. But as an OS increases in complexity, it might become harder to allow a user to say "I want A and B but not C and D".

I use Linux quite a bit, and have done for nearly 20 years, but I still find myself wishing for some of the things that Windows does just right. My feelings when using Linux sometimes are of being in a bad dream where although the world looks almost the same, you can't do things in quite the same way you expect to be able to. File sharing permissions and ownerships still has me banging the desk in a fury. I need a JFDI command for linux.

• Thanks 1

My windows 10 hard drive is in a box under my desk. I can attach it to my system and boot into win10 booting from the BIOS, just don’t need to. (bought extension cables, they stick out the back of my PC, for SATA and Power and the working end is both Power and SATA and just plugs into a HDD or SSD, and I use them just like a thumb drive).

When I had Windows 10 installed on my system the shop put software called Classic Shell on my system, it made Windows 10 look and act just like Windows 7 and I ran it like that for a number of years with no problems at all. From what I can tell that software has been updated to run on Windows 11, looking into it there is other software that can do the same thing. When I was using Windows 10, that I hated, the Classic Shell made it look and act like Windows 7 and that I could live with.

On 10/3/2021 at 4:45 AM, Frankie Antonioni said:

There was never a 9. That's  because Bill Gates can't count.

Its because 7 ate 9.

Actually the explanation I heard was because a lot of software was checking windows version by looking for "9x" to see if it was running 95 or 98, and they ran into problems with these programs and apps thinking the OS was several generations old when it wasn't, and it was causing heaps of errors. I guess they decided that the easiest solution was to skip 9 altogether. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's a big thing I hate about windows.. How much junk/bloat they keep adding with every update it seems..

I like the sound of opt in/opt out..

It is nice and clean but it isn't easy ...

(better stay with windows unless you are willing to learn many new things in regards to computers)

anim.gif

Edited by Nick0678

On 10/4/2021 at 6:17 PM, TDD123 said:

You do know Android is Google's version of Linux for smartphones and other handheld devices ?

So what?
Do I have to be impressed now?

I float with the mean stream of users that guaranties two things: Lot's of software development and updates and lot's of people I can turn to with questions outside the official channels.

Edited by Sid Nagy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.