Morality and Law

Ayeleeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In a recently closed thread, I asked an outrageous question that didn't get an answer. It was really quite simple "It is wrong because it damages and exploits innocents who are unable to defend themselves" would have been great. The best I got was that it was illegal. I hope this was because no one could see past the outrageous nature of the question. Law should be based on what is right, law does not determine what is right. In Nazi Germany it was illegal to harbor Jews, a few brave individuals defied the law to do what was right. They had to be concerned not only about the authorities, but thier law abiding neighbors reporting them. Today we face a number of issues with the potential to place the law and what is right on opposite sides, mask mandates, abortion, immigration, gun control, vaccine passports, and others. Whether the treats come from fascists on the right or communists on the left or someplace else, we need to know for sure what we stand for and not simply accept that what is wrong is what is illegal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

In a recently closed thread, I asked an outrageous question that didn't get an answer. It was really quite simple "It is wrong because it damages and exploits innocents who are unable to defend themselves" would have been great. The best I got was that it was illegal. I hope this was because no one could see past the outrageous nature of the question. Law should be based on what is right, law does not determine what is right. In Nazi Germany it was illegal to harbor Jews, a few brave individuals defied the law to do what was right. They had to be concerned not only about the authorities, but thier law abiding neighbors reporting them. Today we face a number of issues with the potential to place the law and what is right on opposite sides, mask mandates, abortion, immigration, gun control, vaccine passports, and others. Whether the treats come from fascists on the right or communists on the left or someplace else, we need to know for sure what we stand for and not simply accept that what is wrong is what is illegal.

What happens when your neighbor sincerely believes that something you think is right is wrong, or vice versa?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

What happens when your neighbor sincerely believes that something you think is right is wrong, or vice versa?

Indeed that is the problem, it is easy for those in power to brainwash the masses into thinking that good is evil and evil is good, we as individuals must be constantly on guard that we are not buying into a lie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

Indeed that is the problem, it is easy for those in power to brainwash the masses into thinking that good is evil and evil is good, we as individuals must be constantly on guard that we are not buying into a lie.

In other words, "My neighbor is wrong, and someone evil made them think that way."

Mmm hmm...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

In other words, "My neighbor is wrong, and someone evil made them think that way."

Mmm hmm...

Not always, it might be, it might also be that something evil has caused you to sincerely believe they are wrong when in fact they are not, or maybe they are just evil, or maybe you are. There are no simple answers to this question.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

In a recently closed thread, I asked an outrageous question that didn't get an answer. It was really quite simple "It is wrong because it damages and exploits innocents who are unable to defend themselves" would have been great. The best I got was that it was illegal.

There actually was one, maybe two, responses that mentioned that a child cannot consent.  I do remember reading it, though the thread has been thoroughly sanitized on that subject, so cannot go back and pull it up.

19 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

It is not just the ones in power that manager to brainwash the masses.  These days, sometimes all it takes is for one person, with enough followers, to post something in social media that somehow gets tons of views and takes off almost like it has a life of its own.

One person's truth is another person's lie - and sometimes which is which isn't known until long past the events themselves, when they are being looked at in retrospect.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There actually was one, maybe two, responses that mentioned that a child cannot consent.  I do remember reading it, though the thread has been thoroughly sanitized on that subject, so cannot go back and pull it up.

Yes, I gave one of those answers.  Why we needed another thread is beyond me.

I had a friend as a child who was sexually molested by her step father.  For years.  Her and her sister.  A person they should have been able to trust.  A person who should have been protecting them.  That is what adults are supposed to do.  They aren't supposed to use their position of power to physically and mentally abuse children.  It's morally reprehensible. They can't consent.  My friend had several mental issues because of the abuse.  If i knew then what i know now, i could have helped.   That we even had to enact a law to make it illegal is mind boggling.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

it is easy for those in power to brainwash the masses into thinking that good is evil and evil is good, we as individuals must be constantly on guard that we are not buying into a lie.

I agree we need to self-examine in order to determine our ethics, and that power can brainwash the masses so we must keep a watchful eye on that. I'm as concerned about those who only act decently because of the law, however.
Case in point -- I knew this guy who actually said he never r-a-p-e-d women because it was illegal. He wanted to, but he feared prison and so the law kept him in check. Thank God for the law!  Needless to say, I went to great efforts to avoid that person going forward.

• Like 2

Morality doesn't come into it.

We have laws not so that we can impose morality on people but  so that we can enjoy the advantages of living in anything other than very small communities, because once a community grows to any size you rapidly find you need a way of resolving disputes that the parties can't amicably resolve between themselves which doesn't involve the various people involved in the dispute (and their friends, supporters and hired security) settling it the hard way.

There may be all sorts of good reasons for breaking a law, but, unless they're a legal defence or the court can lawfully take them into account at the sentencing phase of the trial, that's not really relevant in court.    Relevant to you,  your friends, family and supporters, possibly, but not to the court.

• Like 1

Godwin in the opening post?

2 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

But how do I know you're the authority on what's right? What if I think you're the one who's been brainwashed?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Godwin in the opening post?

But how do I know you're the authority on what's right? What if I think you're the one who's been brainwashed?

Indeed none of us should be looking to someone else as an authority, we must all be well informed and decide what is true for ourselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayeleeon said:
12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Is there no absolute reality?????????    I.......I........I..........

Some people don't think so. 

Well sometimes it's clear, but often it's very difficult to determine as nobody can walk in somebody else's shoes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

Indeed none of us should be looking to someone else as an authority, we must all be well informed and decide what is true for ourselves.

So if someone thinks for themselves and comes to the opposite conclusion that you do, what then?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.