Does Second Life plan to get into NFTs ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well so I guess NFT's are A okey with LL then. Even though they never answered countless questions from SL users with anything else than read TOS. Must have already been involved in this NFT project and would know exactly what to answers all questions asked from other users. Idk...it would have cost them very little to give a better answer than "read TOS" when they are already involved in these type of projects. But anyway, lots of good luck to the new NFT's

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This is an unmitigated PR disaster.

Yeah. But I'm confused what real role Linden Lab / Second Life has in any of this, other than a little branding and a blog post. I mean, is the Lab vouching for the unique authenticity of Epik's Zenescope-linked NFTs? If not, then what value does LL add—and what liability does it incur? Seems much ado about multi-layer nothing.

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah. But I'm confused what real role Linden Lab / Second Life has in any of this, other than a little branding and a blog post.

Right. It's just Zenescope promoting something. The NFT system Zenescope is using has zero connection to the SL world.

What we can learn from this is that, while hooking up NFTs to Second Life is possible, the customer reaction is DO NOT WANT.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, animats said:

What we can learn from this is that, while hooking up NFTs to Second Life is possible, the customer reaction is DO NOT WANT.

The lessons I am learning from Microsoft, Google, etc, is that we are not customers but service-targets, and we don't know what we want until the service providers give it to us.

3 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

The lessons I am learning from Microsoft, Google, etc, is that we are not customers but service-targets, and we don't know what we want until the service providers give it to us.

... and we do not know what we do not want until the "service providers" try to shove their crap "give it to us."

ARE WE FISH?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 2:31 PM, richelieu Glom said:

Hello,

After learning about NFTs, and visiting virtual Games such as Decentraland, I thought that Second Life could implement this new "technology." I spent a few hours in Decentraland and honestly, I don't know what motivates people to buy virtual land in such game, with poor graphics, when Second Life does a better job graphically speaking. I looked around and I didn't see anything related to NFTs in Second Life. I don't know if this is related to Linden's strict rules when it comes to the economy of the game (maybe?). Second Life has been around for quite some time, I left the game a few years ago for several reasons (one of them being that I thought the game was getting old and failed to renew itself). Nevertheless, I feel like this game has the potential to be something bigger with the blockchain technology, NFTs and more. I don't know if there is a way to directly ask this question to Linden Lab.... Do they have something plan related to this? Peace.

I totally agree with you "I feel like this game has the potential to be something bigger with the  blockchain technology, NFTs and more." Thank you for starting this thread, I am enjoying reading all the different views. I hope that there is discussion going on at LL about this. I've spent some times in Decentraland myself and came away with a similar opinion. Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Wisdom Davi said:

I've spent some times in Decentraland myself and came away with a similar opinion. Thanks again!

But the point remains ... you came here.

Would you buy NFT land if you had to pay a monthly fee to keep it alive? ... what would happen if you didn't?

Decentraland's 3D assets are low detail and quick to churn out, SL's aren't .. what would you pay to own a single 'no copy no mod transfer only' copy of an item here knowing it would be culturally irrelevant here in a few months (and locked here forever)?

How do NFT's integrate with SL in a way that improves the experience for users of SL

• Like 2

From my perspective, NFTs are trying to do in the real world what Second Life has already been doing for a long time: taking the idea of selling something virtual and non-reproducible or a one-time event, and selling it to an investor or one-time owner. Yes, I saw the play, Oedipus, in SL 10 years ago. My NFT to prove it is on my profile feed. I can't transfer this experience. I could send you the program. I "rent" land in 4 virtual places as investment into virtual art and an immersive one-time user experience. I spend real money on things my avatar "wears," and may be deleted by Linden Labs or simply cease to exist next week. How is this not already an NFT?

There are loads of ways to capitalize SL, by creating things only people with money can have. But that is not why SL was started, or what Philip Rosedale had in mind, when he set it up so that every item was supposed to have at least ONE open permission, and so that people around you can see when you are building and help you, and you can create wonderful things in-world as shared experiences.

It is this aspect of SL that in my mind is in danger of being lost.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 12:49 PM, Wisdom Davi said:

I totally agree with you "I feel like this game has the potential to be something bigger with the  blockchain technology, NFTs and more." Thank you for starting this thread, I am enjoying reading all the different views. I hope that there is discussion going on at LL about this. I've spent some times in Decentraland myself and came away with a similar opinion. Thanks again!

Thank you. Sorry, but some people here are just savages who are expressing their frustration, so I don't even bother answering their comments. Wherever there is a topic that mentions NFTs they go an spread their savagery. I think it's just a matter of time before LL comes up with something regarding NFTs. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, richelieu Glom said:

Thank you. Sorry, but some people here are just savages who are expressing their frustration, so I don't even bother answering their comments. Wherever there is a topic that mentions NFTs they go an spread their savagery. I think it's just a matter of time before LL comes up with something regarding NFTs. 

Unless you can answer the fundamental question ...

NOX3dT1.png

Don't expect anyone to get excited about this.

So far NFT's are a scam at best, straight up fraud and money laundering the rest of the time.

WHY would adding NFT anything to SL improve the user experience?

Give us a SINGLE viable use case that would make sense inside SL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

People always chasing the next big thing.

I was recently offered a job as a software engineer with some people who were going on about how their thing is going to be the next big thing, and it's going to have NFT's amongst many other fancy words and I'm going to have shares and we were going to have arabian investors and be rich blablabla.

Perhaps working as a software engineer has made me jaded, but such claims and delusions of grandeur always make me suspicious. All technological things like these are high risk investments.

Sure I'd like to see SecondLife try it's hand in new technologies from time to time, but I don't want to see SecondLife chasing every trendy technology that comes into existence and putting all it's resources into it like it did with VR. Complete waste of time and energy that could be better spent on making its core products better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.