Does Second Life plan to get into NFTs ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

No one in SL is going to buy a US $2000 yacht, even if they get to buy it as an NFT.

No one outside SL is going to by a SL yacht for $2000 .. because .. ewwww Second Life, that's from 2004.

And yes, we do spend thousands of US$ on microtransactions. The salient point being that they are microtransactions, with the majority being under $5US. Wouldn't even cover the gas fees if this was all blurkchain.

That’s were your limited understanding of the potential of NFTS drives your dismissal. In addition to purchasing those yachts the owners also get VIP access to the Miami Yacht show. Any one can go to a yacht show but to get onboard the yachts there you have to be pre qualified. Until you’ve been in that world you wouldn’t understand the value proposition NFTs offer. 

• Haha 2

I make just one small comment here, @MichaelCorleone Losangeles:  You posit a set of circumstances where you see a personal financial gain.  You then would insist on Linden Lab changing its ToS to allow it, heedless of the general unfavourable reaction of most  users.

I have to assume you are one of nature's incorrigeable optimists.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MichaelCorleone Losangeles said:

That’s were your limited understanding of the potential of NFTS drives your dismissal. In addition to purchasing those yachts the owners also get VIP access to the Miami Yacht show. Any one can go to a yacht show but to get onboard the yachts there you have to be pre qualified. Until you’ve been in that world you wouldn’t understand the value proposition NFTs offer. 

This is the problem with NFTs as a whole, you can't actually articulate the value proposition, so everyone else must just be stupid for not immediately getting it.

The business model for NFT's is well established at this point. You need a discord group, socials and big hype drum. But here you are on the SL forums arguing with people who understand the involved technologies better than you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This is the problem with NFTs as a whole, you can't actually articulate the value proposition, so everyone else must just be stupid for not immediately getting it.

The business model for NFT's is well established at this point. You need a discord group, socials and big hype drum. But here you are on the SL forums arguing with people who understand the involved technologies better than you.

All I can say for those that don't understand the potential of blockchain and NFT's, you need to get outside of Second Life more and become a practitioner of these new technology's and understand their potential. Web 3.0 is being developed right now. I'm old enough to remember that recipes where one of the first supposed killer apps for personal computers. Second Life is becoming more and more irrelevant, this conversation has been enlightening to me. I will continue on my journey to determine the true value of my work. Based on current and past market activity the value is between $175 and $650K. We will see. Enjoy your Second Life experience. 

• Haha 4

I think if you really want to get $4,000 for your product, you are probably going to need to hype it and second life to the point that people think they can unload it for more.  NFTs rely heavily on speculation, for most people SL is not where the hype is at, you would be better to jump in on something new and shiny, with an audience that is easily manipulated.  That ship has sailed though (mah puns, they are killing it!) 

What you want to sell, is hope.  Hope that an item will appreciate in value.  Your audience will need to have a severe case of FOMO.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aishagain said:

I have to assume you are one of nature's incorrigeable optimists.

another phrase for this is doomed optimism

the path we are on ends in doom, but all the way down we are optimistic that this will not be the case

this is different from doomed pessimism. Where all the way down we know we are doomed, but we do it anyways

😺

4 hours ago, MichaelCorleone Losangeles said:

In addition to purchasing those yachts the owners also get VIP access to the Miami Yacht show.

Wow.  I live in the UK and have absolutely no intention of travelling the Atlantic  (certainly not in a yacht) just to go to a yacht show.  I cannot think of a much greater waste of resources that that (except possibly spending any longer on a computer refuting your delusions).

Edited by Aishagain

Ok this will be my last comment. I came to this board to get advice on how to convert my Second Life yachts to mesh. I still haven't gotten any helpful direction.

I started on my journey here in Second Life building yachts based on the deck plans of a real-life yacht company. I had a chance to meet the president of that company in real life and became good friends. He gave me permission to use their brand name in Second Life. I eventually built a successful business here in Second Life selling and chartering my yachts. Built a marina where we leased out retail space and apartments. I eventually took what I learned here in Second Life and applied it to real life and began a business career in the yachting industry.

I've had the opportunity to spend time on some of the largest yachts in the world. I attend regularly the big 3 yacht shows, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, and Monaco. There is one yacht show experience open to the general public, and then there is the VIP experience that I assure you cost more than $150 dollars.

I haven't been on Second Life for the past 5 years. I started checking in off and on during the Pandemic. My interest really peaked with the exploding interest in the metaverse. Which brought me back full circle to Second Life. I don't know what my yachts will sell for, I don't really care because its just a hobby. If it turns into something bigger then fine.

I am quite aware of blockchain, crypto currency, NFT's, Tokens and DOA's. They are all intertwined. The reason why NFT's are selling for insane prices is because they are the equivalence of buying stock in a company. Like Second Life's tokens, Lindens, all of the metaverse projects create their own Tokens out of thin air. They create NFT's like art, yachts, wearables, clothes etc. When you purchase these, with their tokens, pegged to other digital currencies or tokens like Ethereum, your purchases entitle your to other rights associated with the project. What drove the value of the $650K lego yacht was that it was tied to the Sandbox metaverse project which is one of the leading metaverse projects out there with fortune 500 companies aligned with it................like Second Life USED to have........

Everything I've seen so far related to blockchain metaverses are just reap offs of what Second Life has created. Second Life will die in time unless it changes its business models. Creators and owners of their digital creations, must have complete control and custody of their digital assets. Assets they have interoperability with other digital platforms. All I'm trying to do here is have fun while trying to figure out how creators in Second Life (which I think are the greatest collection out there) can extract the greatest value from their work. If you want to continue the conversation with me hit me up on Discord, Username: godfathaog

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, MichaelCorleone Losangeles said:

I came to this board to get advice on how to convert my Second Life yachts to mesh.

In firestorm you can right click on your prims and save them to your computer as mesh, there is also a tool on the marketplace that will convert prims to mesh.  It is called Mesh Generator.

Best of luck in your ventures :)

Edited by Istelathis

32 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

In firestorm you can right click on your prims and save them to your computer as mesh, there is also a tool on the marketplace that will convert prims to mesh.  

This is to mesh, like a box of mac n cheese that's missing the powder sachet, is to pasta.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This is to mesh, like a box of mac n cheese that's missing the powder sachet, is to pasta.

Hey now, I can get very creative with my mac n cheese!  Don't even get me started on oodly noodlies, I can work magic on that stuff.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.