How many chalets is enough?

Fleur Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1097 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So as not to disrupt the other threads I made a new one for this question. 

Basically, I have been trying to claim a nice chalet, nothing too fancy just a nice view and perhaps if I am lucky it will have a windmill quite near or a nice waterway.

What I have noticed is that the same people time after time claim the best spots on each and every desirable region.  They set up their add-ons, some do the garden and don't furnish the interior, some do the garden and interior, and one even advertises her decorating business on a billboard which is positioned in the garden of each of her homes. 

Initially I had thought that perhaps as they got better properties they'd give up existing ones so there would be the chance of a decent abandon, but no, they keep them all, which is fine and dandy and of course their spending more money and obviously more time stalking regions than I am, but how many chalet homes is enough for one typist - 5, 10, 50?

Also these decorated houses which aren't inhabited look very nice (well some do) but as there's no one there they add nothing to the community feel.

Of course I could get more alts, or just keep trying for better spots with what I have and hope I'm lucky, but weighing up the options I'd probably be better off renting some land.

• Like 3

I love lively discussion, but I predict this post will be closed by the time the mods wake up.

Advertising a business in your yard is tacky, not sure if that's against the covenant though.

Why does it matter if someone is there? How does that even add to the "community feel"? I kind of dislike being in a region where my neighbor is ALWAYS home, I feel like I should talk to them, but I never do because I don't like feeling obligated. To each their own!

• Like 9

• Moles
31 minutes ago, Fleur Aurelia said:

What I have noticed is that the same people time after time claim the best spots on each and every desirable region.  They set up their add-ons, some do the garden and don't furnish the interior, some do the garden and interior, and one even advertises her decorating business on a billboard which is positioned in the garden of each of her homes. 

Since people are limited to one Linden Home for each premium account they possess, how do you know it's "the same people time after time" who claim these locations unless those people told you who their alts are?

Also, as you'll be aware, the Linden Homes Covenant forbids advertising 

*Activities and items that could be construed by Linden Lab as commercial and for profit are not permitted in the residential 
  homes and houseboats in Bellisseria.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:New_Linden_Homes_2019#Linden_Home_Restrictions

I'd suggest dropping a polite note to whoever owns the billboard, reminding them of that item in the Covenant, and suggesting they remove their board.

Or, if you'd prefer, drop me an IM in world (or a private forum message, but not by public reply in this thread, please) with details of where you saw this billboard and I'll attend to it myself.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Since people are limited to one Linden Home for each premium account they possess, how do you know it's "the same people time after time" who claim these locations unless those people told you who their alts are?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:New_Linden_Homes_2019#Linden_Home_Restrictions

I'd suggest dropping a polite note to whoever owns the billboard, reminding them of that item in the Covenant, and suggesting they remove their board.

Or, if you'd prefer, drop me an IM in world (or a private forum message, but not by public reply in this thread, please) with details of where you saw this billboard and I'll attend to it myself.

Hi Quartz, I know it's the same people as they have a very distinctive style, their main alt decorates all the gardens or in another case the decorative add-on is owned by the main alt.  Also the land group is the same.  Yes, it could be a group of friends but having seen the alts they are all basic Linden avatars who never get updated and are never used apart from securing a home. 

I'd prefer to drop you an IM in world when I'm next in SL for you to attend to the billboard/s.  Many kind thanks for your reply. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

I love lively discussion, but I predict this post will be closed by the time the mods wake up.

Advertising a business in your yard is tacky, not sure if that's against the covenant though.

Why does it matter if someone is there? How does that even add to the "community feel"? I kind of dislike being in a region where my neighbor is ALWAYS home, I feel like I should talk to them, but I never do because I don't like feeling obligated. To each their own!

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah each to their own.  The world would be boring if everyone felt the same.  I lead a lonely RL and would like some neighbors in SL, no biggie. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Quartz, just to clarify, these people are not running business, they collect multiple houses in the same region during the release.

• Like 1

I find the insides of the house more closed in the I enjoy. I would prefer and open space layout, with the option to rez walls. That being said, I rare spend time inside houses, I love gardens, what should it matter to anyone else if I spend all my prims in the garden, where I enjoy my time. As to owning multiple houses, I assume each person has to pay for each account, to own a Linden home, if people want a dozen and can pay for it then good for them, and good for Linden Lab. Linden Lab is in the business to make money, the more accounts people have the better for them.

I find it unlikely that people never abandon , as I see people offering up houses on the forum all the time.

• Like 5

• Moles
17 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

Quartz, just to clarify, these people are not running business, they collect multiple houses in the same region during the release.

Two separate issues.

I question how anyone can know that "these people," whoever they are, "collect multiple houses in the same region" unless they know who these people's alts are (which can only be because these people have told them their alts' identities).

Separately from that, we are told 

one even advertises her decorating business on a billboard which is positioned in the garden of each of her homes. 

That, on the face of it, is contrary to the Bellisseria covenant, and if someone can tell me where to find one of these billboards, I'll investigate further.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Fleur Aurelia said:

I've no issue with anyone having a lovely garden BUT how many gardens is enough 5, 10, 50? 

That is up to each person to decide.  If someone wants to pay for 50  gardens, so be it.  Be thankful they are making lovely gardens and not filling the parcel with things you might not find so enjoyable.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fleur Aurelia said:

So as not to disrupt the other threads I made a new one for this question. 

Basically, I have been trying to claim a nice chalet, nothing too fancy just a nice view and perhaps if I am lucky it will have a windmill quite near or a nice waterway.

Initially I had thought that perhaps as they got better properties they'd give up existing ones so there would be the chance of a decent abandon, but no, they keep them all, which is fine and dandy and of course their spending more money and obviously more time stalking regions than I am, but how many chalet homes is enough for one typist - 5, 10, 50?

Also these decorated houses which aren't inhabited look very nice (well some do) but as there's no one there they add nothing to the community feel.

Of course I could get more alts, or just keep trying for better spots with what I have and hope I'm lucky, but weighing up the options I'd probably be better off renting some land.

I have 4 Chalets - 3 are the same layout, same add-ons, same landscaping and look the same inside and are in what I think are amazing locations with great neighbors including 1 where I have me as my own neighbor.  The first house I got by pure luck - my neighboring house  next door- I was messaged by my neighbor/friend that she was releasing the house next door to my other house.  I went for it and I got it. It took me the rest of my available alts  and I got it on the very last premium account I had available and very last roll.   It was the other house  next to it that I got by pure luck - new alt because I didn't have anymore and 1st roll.  All my houses are decorated and I try to spend time in each one when I can.  I also have 3 Victorians and 1 Stilt.  I would have more if I can afford more spots. It would be amazing if I can have 50 homes! There is  my answer to your question :) 

Edited by Missbehavin Neva
Replaced - 2nd house pure luck when it was the 1st house that was pure luck.
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Matthieu Quander said:

That is up to each person to decide.  If someone wants to pay for 50  gardens, so be it.  Be thankful they are making lovely gardens and not filling the parcel with things you might not find so enjoyable.  

IF I had a friend in SL and they had 50 gardens I'd be very worried about their behaviour and maybe have a gentle talk with them. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Missbehavin Neva said:

I have 4 Chalets - 3 are the same layout, same add-ons, same landscaping and look the same inside and are in what I think are amazing locations with great neighbors including 1 where I have me as my own neighbor.  That house I got by pure luck.  All my houses are decorated and I try to spend time in each one when I can.  I also have 3 Victorians and 1 Stilt.  I would have more if I can afford more spots. It would be amazing if I can have 50 homes! There is  my answer to your question :)

Thanks.  I'm glad you are enjoying all of your properties.

• Like 2

i found that i just can't enjoy more then two homes at a time  ,i have two active accounts and they both use their lindenhome frequently , i really try to maintain a third one  ,but i always end up letting go one home ,i just dont have time for more  ,and i dont want to collect homes i never use anyway .

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Fleur Aurelia said:

IF I had a friend in SL and they had 50 gardens I'd be very worried about their behaviour and maybe have a gentle talk with them. 

If I know the person, and recognize that they have a problem, then sure, I would try to help.  But people have different RL priorities and levels of discretional income.  If someone wants to spend their time and money building beautiful gardens in a virtual world, who am I to judge?  There are certainly worse things they could be doing.

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Fleur Aurelia said:

You realize that is nearly the equivalent of 2 islands? Many people have multiple islands, at least with linden houses, they also get the lindens to offset their houses, or to spend.

• Like 4

Just my personal view, but as you long as you have an ethical approach and respect others, you're entitled to have as many homes as you want. 

When people invest on SL, the system keeps on running, which is a good thing for everybody. It is just a question of understanding that we all are part of a community, and human beings after all: respect us.

Edited by Elena Core
want, not have
  • Like 9

28 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

According to the Law of Diminishing Returns (also known as Diminishing Returns Phenomenon), the value or enjoyment we get from something starts to decrease after a certain point.

That is what I keep getting told with my plants in RL, year after year, but they have currently taken over my house :S:S :S:S 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

To answer your question, for some, the answer is 2 and for others it is 50.

According to the Law of Diminishing Returns (also known as Diminishing Returns Phenomenon), the value or enjoyment we get from something starts to decrease after a certain point.

That's my situation. When I can't remember which alt has which house, it's time to release them. I'm not someone who tries to get into the newest regions. I live for beautiful abandons.

• Like 8

Chalets are the first theme where I like the regions, but am not very interested in having a home.  Perhaps I've just had enough decorating for the nonce, but altho both I and my partner are enthused about our chalet parcel, I haven't gotten into it.  So, for me, 1 or perhaps zero is enough.

I want to thank you, @Quartz Mole , for acting on advertising in Belli.  Having Belli all non-commercial is a delight.

I also want to agree with those who say they can identify a typist with many alts when they move into a region.  When one is stalking new releases (this is a fun sport if you have the time), you DO get so familiar with fellow new-region addicts that you know the major alts and groups.  And, as someone above said, they usually have just one or two alts who own their full set of add-ons, trees, and major pieces of outdoor deco, so it is easy to notice if several parcels are furnished by a single typist.

I've only once encountered behavior that I would call belligerent on the part of a land owning group/person. That one instance really startled me and put me right off the west Logland/Vic coastline they were colonizing, so I understand folks' negative reactions. When larger land groups get involved, getting a nice parcel becomes a bit of a battle, and takes more time.  Not everyone can afford the time to scan the map looking for regions that you like which are in the early stages of a release, and when 6 or more alts are in play. they can zip through a new release pretty fast.   The last release where I stalked regions was the Vic coastline.  I planned to stalk new releases for the chalets, and had researched regions that interested me, but when push came to shove just didn't have the time or energy for it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Fleur Aurelia said:

At the end of the day it is up to you to find the community feel, not your neighbors to give it to you.  Not everyone is looking for community here.  Unless you are monitoring someone's houses (can't imagine the time put into doing that) 24/7 you have no idea how much time they spend there.

As for alts and how many houses people have?  I could care less.  You do you boo. 

Personally I think people waste too much time on new region releases and trying to get them "first".  Have never understood that to be honest.  Yes it is sometimes fun to try.  I will still stand by my statement that for me, the best parcels I get are the ones that are abandoned.  All the stuff being released now is just the tip of the iceberg.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1097 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.