New SecondLife.com homepage

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Is it this?...
2006978907_ScreenShot2021-04-22at5_01_59PM.thumb.png.bb8e3d84eb7f53ccc8756f7379725503.png

That teleport-like progress bar appears every time I return to the splash page, and takes 3.5 seconds. People who have never experienced SL will not understand that this is a reference to teleporting. They'll just see it as a senseless and frustrating 3.5 second delay between pages. Those of us who do understand teleporting might see that as an ironic (though still frustrating) nod to the sometimes senseless teleport delays and failures that mar the SL experience.

I have never and will never view a LOADING PAGE (progress bar) as a form of teleportation no matter how long I’ve been in SL. A lot of websites use this method while their site loads and I don’t know anyone that’s ever been bothered by it 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I am ready for the fantasy section of Bellisseria, residence for the new home page blue elf.

I think this could be a hint of a future Bellisseria Linden Home theme/region.  Check out all the other characters in the preview video - they didn't just come in off the street in those costumes, well unless it was the Castro district.  Patch hinted a future theme would be out of this world, so perhaps this is the start of that campaign.  Getting more Premium members $99 USD to join is still LL's new income stream.

BTW, that progress bar goes much faster after it has cached in your browser, about 1/2 second for me.

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Is it this?...
2006978907_ScreenShot2021-04-22at5_01_59PM.thumb.png.bb8e3d84eb7f53ccc8756f7379725503.png

That teleport-like progress bar appears every time I return to the splash page, and takes 3.5 seconds. People who have never experienced SL will not understand that this is a reference to teleporting. They'll just see it as a senseless and frustrating 3.5 second page load delay. Those of us who do understand teleporting might see that as an ironic (though still frustrating) truth-in-advertising nod to the sometimes senseless teleport delays and failures that mar the SL experience.

Only revelant if loading freezes and you're kicked off the website.  😆

i don't get the blue image really

is either a abstract message to RL cosplayers. Something like: if you cosplay in RL then you can in SL too (just not as well as in the image)

or is a precursor hint at a Avatar 2.0 like body, which nobody has made yet

altho the image could be realised without a Avatar 2.0, if full materials BoM is coming. Full materials BoM would be pretty good

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i don't get the blue image really

You think it should be humans only?  I'm not so sure, though it can be difficult to find what clubs to go to when not a human and it's not Halloween.   SL used to have a lot of contests with dress-up in theme to win a pretty darn good linden prize. 

I like the fantasy and the blue, I found it a bit intriguing but I like offbeat stuff and imagination here in SL far more than just plain human.  I think a slide show would have been better showing a variety of avatars.  And, I know it's not a real avatar in the picture but I am puzzled why they spent so much when Maitimo showed it could have been done with an avatar in a colored skin and then one could add PS effects to what Maitimo showed.  If this below link doesn't work, Maitimo's picture is on page 3 or 4 of this thread.  

23 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

altho the image could be realised without a Avatar 2.0, if full materials BoM is coming. Full materials BoM would be pretty good

What is an avatar 2.0?  But, I'm not sure why one would have even needed an avatar 2.0, just layer and Photoshop stuff in for a materials look.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

or is a precursor hint at a Avatar 2.0 like body

I think if the lindens came out with a new body it would kill the whole economy. as much as everyone hates the mix n match it's really the secret sauce that keeps it all going.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

That teleport-like progress bar appears every time I return to the splash page, and takes 3.5 seconds. People who have never experienced SL will not understand that this is a reference to teleporting. They'll just see it as a senseless and frustrating 3.5 second page load delay. Those of us who do understand teleporting might see that as an ironic (though still frustrating) truth-in-advertising nod to the sometimes senseless teleport delays and failures that mar the SL experience.

Next they should model lag. Or the slow texture loading. My fave things about SL.~

On 4/20/2021 at 7:43 PM, Milk Pixelmaid said:

The new homepage features the shiny new blue logo! What's up with the picture of a real person, and not an avatar?

With mesh made using high quality materials and not just mesh coated in solids that people pay ridiculous amounts for for some reason and which some creators claim to be their "art" (even though they apparently can shape mesh but for some reason cannot texture it anything more than a solid with no materials). This can be produced rather easily with  the proper settings and lighting. There's barely any photoshop in the image. Maybe the hands or the clouds in the background? I'm not sure what the issue is here.

Edited by Finite
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Finite said:

With mesh made using high quality materials and not just mesh coated in solids that people pay ridiculous amounts for for some reason and which some creators claim to be their "art" (even though they apparently can shape mesh but for some reason cannot texture it anything more than a solid with no materials). This can be produced rather easily with  the proper settings and lighting. There's barely any photoshop in the image. Maybe the hands or the clouds in the background? I'm not sure what the issue is here.

Did you watch the video?  It's not an avatar.  It's a RL person which IS misleading.  They should have used an actual avatar created in SL if they're trying to sell SL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Did you not read the op? The one I clearly replied to.

On 4/20/2021 at 7:43 PM, Milk Pixelmaid said:

The new homepage features the shiny new blue logo! What's up with the picture of a real person, and not an avatar?

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Did you watch the video?  It's not an avatar.  It's a RL person which IS misleading.  They should have used an actual avatar created in SL if they're trying to sell SL.

Maybe you can help me with my English since you've previously "corrected" me on my grammar and all. But I thought the op used the word "picture".

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Finite said:

There's barely any photoshop in the image. Maybe the hands or the clouds in the background? I'm not sure what the issue is here.

LMAO, no use of photoshop in that image? Despite the lighting being photoshopped, the green screen removed and a background added in photoshop, the glow effect and steam effect added in Photoshop, even the hair has been edited in photoshop, not to mention it being an actual person filmed in a movie studio.

None of what is in that photo is possible in Second Life as far as graphics go, nor any game. It would take my Architectural Rendering computer to render such a scene in any modern game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Finite said:

Did you not read the op? The one I clearly replied to.

Maybe you can help me with my English since you've previously "corrected" me on my grammar and all. But I thought the op used the word "picture".

Yes and the video shows how they made the picture using RL people.  Around 1.40 in the video.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yes and the video shows how they made the picture using RL people.  Around 1.40 in the video.

Oof i am a dummy. They could have produced that in Black Dragon imo. The model and the lighting at least. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Finite said:

Oof i am a dummy. They could have produced that in Black Dragon imo. The model and the lighting at least. 

They could have used any of the wonderful pictures done by our own residents.  They certainly wouldn't have used a TPV to take one themselves.  Why not showcase what the real people in SL do with their avatars.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/secondlifeofficial/pool/

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

LMAO, no use of photoshop in that image? Despite the lighting being photoshopped, the green screen removed and a background added in photoshop, the glow effect and steam effect added in Photoshop, even the hair has been edited in photoshop, not to mention it being an actual person filmed in a movie studio.

None of what is in that photo is possible in Second Life as far as graphics go, nor any game. It would take my Architectural Rendering computer to render such a scene in any modern game.

Strange my non-architectural rendering but gaming computer can produce graphics close to what was in the pictures. To the point that I genuinely thought that the model and lighting were in fact taken in game. Maybe you need an upgrade?

Edited by Finite
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

You think it should be humans only?

i don't get it because Linden have spent an enormous amount of time and energy to build Bellissaria as a good thing to sell/promote. And there is nothing cos about Belli

i would have thought that if a new front page banner was warranted then it would have been about a homemaker

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

They could have used any of the wonderful pictures done by our own residents.  They certainly wouldn't have used a TPV to take one themselves.  Why not showcase what the real people in SL do with their avatars.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/secondlifeofficial/pool/

Have you ever seen the photos Archivefaction produces for their ads? They make their models look pretty damn close to real lol. I think it demonstrates pretty well the capabilities to produce high quality images using the proper settings and products in SL.

ARCHIVEFACTION

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Except that isn't what LL did. 

Thanks ya that was already pointed out.

25 minutes ago, Finite said:

Strange my non-architectural rendering but gaming computer can produce graphics close to what was in the pictures. To the point that I genuinely thought that the model and lighting were in fact taken in game. Maybe you need an upgrade?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Finite said:

Have you ever seen the photos Archivefaction produces for their ads? They make their models look pretty damn close to real lol. I think it demonstrates pretty well the capabilities to produce high quality images using the proper settings and products in SL.

ARCHIVEFACTION

I'm not disagreeing.  They should have done so yet they didn't.  Why?  That's what people are upset about.  Why they couldn't have used actual pictures taken IN SL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Finite said:

3090TI and 16 core cpu and 128RAM.... I dont think it needs an upgrade.

Also you failed to understand what I wrote. There is no way that image can be rendered whilst you are playing a game. In other words walking around with those graphics playing the game. It is literally impossible. If it was possible, why did LL HAVE to use real actors and a movie studio to create that image instead of just using Second Life?

The fact that you thought it was a game image and not a real person doesn't say anything about your computer but instead that you need your eyes checked.

17 minutes ago, Finite said:

Umm... they are photoshopped images. Just look at the ones with robotic arms on them. Second Life cant even produce reflections of the world around them as seen in those pictures.

Also take note of the lighting in those pics from the Flikr you pasted of the unedited images. All flat with no lighting such as in that image posted on SL's homepage.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm not disagreeing.  They should have done so yet they didn't.  Why?  That's what people are upset about.  Why they couldn't have used actual pictures taken IN SL.

Oh i wasn't countering what you said or anything. Was just making  a statement and posted a sample and asked have you seen their work before. I totally agree  they could have used ingame work from users but they are a private business with a budget for advertising. Whatever they want to do to entice more people here I'm good with.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

Umm... they are photoshopped images. Just look at the ones with robotic arms on them. Second Life cant even produce reflections of the world around them as seen in those pictures.

Hmm did I say they weren't photoshopped? The models and photos were taken within SL. SL can produce reflections. You just need to reverse and flip the object which gives it the appearance of a reflection. This can be done in game or in photoshop. Whatever your flavor is. Grats on your 3090ti but apparently my 2080super can produce better than what yours can. So sorry if I have doubts you actually have a 3090ti. And if you do, crank up the settings or something because clearly you aren't playing at its full potential.

Edited by Finite
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.