Catwa HD Pro Queen

Janet Voxel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1131 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They are interfering with businesses of all merchants this way.
I don't care about that bloody head. I want to work my products, see my listings, buy whatever.

Catwa turns out to be a @#$#$%$^-firm by pulling this advertisement stunt.
Everybody with a bit experience with SL could see this mess coming. But not Catwa??

Edited by Sid Nagy
Added a few lines to get it of my chest.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

i don't think that anyone is going to feel overly ill-will toward Catwa over the Marketplace giving a lot of us 504s

there might be a little bit directed toward Linden tho. Is their website and they do charge fees for this service. The Marketplace team meeting tomorrow is going to be an interesting conversation I think

Edited by Mollymews
overly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'd like to do some shopping but I can't.

MP has enough server capacity for the general needs based upon a lot of stats that I am sure LL has. For a merchant to release an almost free premium item onto the MP without expecting it to crash is silly. Thats like a major concert event in Ticktmaster (when we had concerts) - they beef up capacity to cope with the expected demand.

This is NOT the way merchants should be going with releases - they have regions that's what they are for so that their business not not impact upon everyone else on the grid.

Edited by Jax Leeder
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i don't think that anyone is going to feel overly ill-will toward Catwa over the Marketplace giving a lot of us 504s

there might be a little bit directed toward Linden tho. Is their website and they do charge fees for this service. The Marketplace team meeting tomorrow is going to be an interesting conversation I think

They/he/she give(s) away something, so  can't do wrong?
The popular girl in the class has to be supported no matter what?

LL made the website so that normal peak capacities can be handled. They are not to be blamed.
If Mercedes-Benz would sell one of their brand new cars for 2000 USD for one day only on Amazon, then Amazon would be on its knees world wide too.

It is Catwa's fault. Everyone could see this coming.
This is costing every merchant and LL money.  Only to cater Catwa's vanity.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't think anyone should hold this against her tbh. Any merchant giving away a quality product like this can do the same as she did. I don't know how else she can win over this overload. Having it on a sim didn't work out well, group drops assumes everyone in SL is in her group. LOL Yes, mktplace is a mess atm but we will all survive. She's generously offered this gift lets just start there.

• Like 1

And all the other Marketplace merchants and LL loose a days worth of income from the marketplace.
How kind of her. She presents sigars out our boxes.

When the sim crashed it was her problem.
Now it is a problem for thousands of merchants.
Real great business stupidity.

But nothing bad about the most popular girl in the class..... 👿

Edited by Sid Nagy
Added a line and zpellinks
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, colleen Criss said:

I don't think anyone should hold this against her tbh. Any merchant giving away a quality product like this can do the same as she did. I don't know how else she can win over this overload. Having it on a sim didn't work out well, group drops assumes everyone in SL is in her group. LOL Yes, mktplace is a mess atm but we will all survive. She's generously offered this gift lets just start there.

I can not see any problems in joining an open, free group, get the gift from the notices and leave the group.

Can you?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Wanted to note that I did have a sale at 2 AM so at least some "regular shoppers" are getting through to the Marketplace.   Think I will just wait and see how this plays out rather than joining in the rush and making things worse. 

A perhaps "better" plan would have been to make the head 50 lindens for a week -- similar to the last Apple Fall sale which was also for the first time on the Marketplace. That didn't seem to cause any problems. I bought my one item on the Marketplace (had a ton of things already).  

It would have been extremely difficult NOT to see the problem this would be. I mean most of us here on the forums saw it in a blink of an eye -- or less.   It seems like if LL deemed it necessary they could just take the offer down.  It likely says something somewhere in the TOS or Marketplace rules to that effect.  Pluses and Minuses all over the board. Market Share versus "good will".  

Will be interesting to watch how this plays out.  

image.png.e545be3e6d905e2a3e5d72979b0fd4b2.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

I can not see any problems in joining an open, free group, get the gift from the notices and leave the group.

Can you?

No I don't see an issue in joining a free group. Is her group free? I have no idea BUT with notices from groups iffy wouldn't that be a mess as well?

• Haha 1

If Catwa had offered this head from today until after the Easter weekend, there wouldn't have been any issue at all.
And it would have saved other merchant a bad temper and Catwa a lot of bad publicity in the end.

It is only good for Catwa's vanity points.

8 minutes ago, colleen Criss said:

No I don't see an issue in joining a free group. Is her group free? I have no idea BUT with notices from groups iffy wouldn't that be a mess as well?

Yes, last time she had a free head (Freya), it was a group gift. You had to join the group, make sure the group was active, then teleport to the store and click on a vendor.

The group was free to join then, I have not heard that it cost money now.

The way of distributing a group gift by forcing people to come to her store, filled it up and lagged so bad that nobody saw the posters. People used teleport hammers to get in, it caused a lot of strain on the region. And those who made it in were waiting to see something at all, and delivery was slow, the region had to be reset several times..

Finally the gift was moved out to other locations and also to the Marketplace. So it is not new for Catwa, to have people join the group to get a gift. That's why I am puzzled... why not pack it in the group notices?

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, colleen Criss said:

... Any merchant giving away a quality product like this can do the same as she did...

That is true, but it doesn't changes the fact she is locking down any other store on MP with that including her own, rendering them unable to make new listings or change any. There are stores that don't have a inworld location and fully depend on MP running as smooth as possible. While this move protects her own inworld business it rips down everyone else MP business for the duration of the promo, and that is kind of playing dirty, maybe not even on purpose, but Catwa actually should know the effect such a sale has.

I like competition as creator, and i also like fair play... so i wouldn't do anything that comes with such a careless collateral damage

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

That's why I am puzzled... why not pack it in the group notices?

To generate as much publicity as possible but using  ill thought trough plans to do so and from what I read here not for the first time.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

They/he/she give(s) away something, so  can't do wrong?
The popular girl in the class has to be supported no matter what?

LL made the website so that normal peak capacities can be handled. They are not to be blamed.
If Mercedes-Benz would sell one of their brand new cars for 2000 USD for one day only on Amazon, then Amazon would be on its knees world wide too.

It is Catwa's fault. Everyone could see this coming.
This is costing every merchant and LL money.  Only to cater Catwa's vanity.

i rephrase, some people will not overly feel ill-will. Some others will

i am in the some others will not group. And you are in the some will group

just as a person who buys stuff on the marketplace. I have never died yet when I get a 504 error. When I do then I just have another go later on. And I am pretty sure that this is what other people who buy stuff do also

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Generating as much publicity as possible, without 'loosing' to much money, perhaps.

To generate as much publicity as possible but using  ill thought trough plans to do so and from what I read here not for the first time.

In my opinion, gifts should be given out as smooth as possible. They are not worth more because it takes time, is difficult and stressful?

Plus this is not only because Catwa is kind. It is also to take back the market. Catwa's HDPRO heads was not a success. It did not sell so well, and it was not much interest in creating skins for it. When people get a free head, they go to creators and say: "I want skins, I want lipstick, why don't you make stuff for Catwa HDPRO?" The more products that's made, the more it is blogged and talked about.

It gives back money to Catwa, because new customers see product images of lovely avatars all over new events, and want to look like that. Then they have to buy the head, that's now set to full price.

• Like 2

I agree that Catwa is ruining the mp for everyone that doesn't want that head. Other merchants are losing money because of Catwa. I cant even get stuff I ordered because of her. I wouldn't even pay a dollar for that head. 

Edited by Nyssa Romanas

I know how those things works, and I can even understand that you make a poor judgement on how to organize a big sales event, once.
But this mess happened to her before, at least she should have learned that the time offering should not be to limited if you are a major player in this game.

If I set something on sale for one they, I might attract a handful of extra visitors to the MP.
A major avatar part merchant should know what her actions will trigger as well.
It could easily de done deliberately just to show off IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

Wanted to report that it "seems" like they have turned off gifting (maybe on the whole Marketplace - don't know) OR that is broken while other things are working.  I went to see what was at Uber and found that the Marketplace had somehow finally loaded (a mystery).  So several refreshed pages along the way and Moonlight (new alt) bought the head. It hasn't been delivered yet but since she purchased it, I am guessing it can be redelivered later if necessary.

So my suggestion would be to log in as the account you want most to have the head :D.  

Good luck!

The head is still up on the marketplace.
I guess most Americans are in bed now, so the hunt for the head slows down a bit now with only the Asians and Europeans awake.
In a few hours when the east coast awakes, the heat could be on again.
Marketplace is still quite slow for this time of the day.

• Like 1

Ah, I was wondering why I kept getting a 504 Error with MP. This explains everything xD;

You can't blame Catwa for doing a promo like this, but they could've at least been like "Here's several in-world places you can claim this!" instead of crashing the MP...

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1131 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.