What Holidays and Holy Days Are You Celebrating?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 982 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/2/2020 at 7:52 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

(although I love the meaning of Christmas -- "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.")

So with this scripture here are you saying Christmas came from a tradition of what could be called "Christ Mass" then?

Christmas has many meanings but I've never heard of that actual one before although I think I have told you of the marvels my Mom and my oldest sister are and I do believe now they both mentioned something about Christmas coming from "the Christ Mass".  

I will get a tree for my new little inworld home I just put in but I won't have a tree in my rl apartment this year.  SL is enough for me.

For 20 years my ex, my step-daughter and I always got real trees for Christmas and I collected unique ornaments over the years but with six cats it was kind of scary to have a tree.  The cats would see tree in the house and want to pounce on it.  Gave me near a heart attack a few times.  All my ornaments were plastic though but just the string for the presents could hurt our kitties.  All the cats would lay under the tree though every day.  We made it through somehow.

I will celebrate although it's going to be very low-key - a tree for SL, and maybe some cherry pie for real life.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

So with this scripture here are you saying Christmas came from a tradition of what could be called "Christ Mass" then?

Christmas has many meanings but I've never heard of that actual one before although I think I have told you of the marvels my Mom and my oldest sister are and I do believe now they both mentioned something about Christmas coming from "the Christ Mass".

Yes! Christ is an Anglicization of the Greek word for "messiah," and "mass" is, of course, the liturgy of the Eurcharist -- a religious celebration or ritual involving the veneration of the blood and body of Christ.

Really, though, all I'm getting at is that I am attracted by the central idea of Christianity -- that the Son of God willingly, and out of a great love of humanity, undertook to take human form and allow Himself to be sacrificed in expiation for our sins. For me, the details (original sin, blah blah blah) are less important than this expression of love.

I will get a tree for my new little inworld home I just put in but I won't have a tree in my rl apartment this year.  SL is enough for me.

I will definitely have an RL tree. Even though I am not Christian, I love Christmas, and I love most of the secular rituals associated with it. And I think I will get a small and tasteful tree for my SL boathouse. Nothing fancy -- just something to look pretty and cheerful.

For 20 years my ex, my step-daughter and I always got real trees for Christmas and I collected unique ornaments over the years but with six cats it was kind of scary to have a tree.  The cats would see tree in the house and want to pounce on it.  Gave me near a heart attack a few times.  All my ornaments were plastic though but just the string for the presents could hurt our kitties.  All the cats would lay under the tree though every day.  We made it through somehow.

I will celebrate although it's going to be very low-key - a tree for SL, and maybe some cherry pie for real life.

Yes, cats are indeed the great and inveterate enemies of Christmas trees and their ornaments. I just take is as a given that one of my early morning tasks is to return ornaments that have been knocked off. I've never had to deal with SIX of them though!

And yes, also, this is certainly going to be a more low-key Christmas for me. But, as I do love the holiday, I'm going to be try to do what I can to maintain the spirit of it .

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2020 at 6:43 AM, Maitimo said:

I do belong to a pagan group in SL and we loosely celebrate the 8 main festivals there; the Spring & Autumn Equinoxes, Winter & Summer Solstices, plus Imbolc (February 1), Beltane (May 1), Lughnasadh (August 1) and Samhain (November 1), generally on the nearest Saturday and in the form of a themed party. It's more a celebration than a religious observance.

That's fascinating, Matty! So, these are parties with music and themed decoration, in the same mode (with obvious differences) as the generic "Christmas party"? Very cool!

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's fascinating, Matty! So, these are parties with music and themed decoration, in the same mode (with obvious differences) as the generic "Christmas party"? Very cool!

Yes they are. So for instance the Yule party will have a very wintery theme. It's also our annual fundraiser event for next year's Fantasy Gay Pride so it's a little different from the usual ones; we have a "kisses" auction with some of us up for bid. Highest bid gets a kiss!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Yes they are. So for instance the Yule party will have a very wintery theme. It's also our annual fundraiser event for next year's Fantasy Gay Pride so it's a little different from the usual ones; we have a "kisses" auction with some of us up for bid. Highest bid gets a kiss!

Hah. That sounds a little too much like "being picked last for a floor hockey team in gym" -- I can imagine all too well having to finally offer to pay someone to kiss me, just to avoid humiliation!

I love that the Yule party is connected to Fantasy Gay Pride. I don't know of a lot of Christmas events in-world that are outward-looking, and involve raising funds (or awareness) for things like social justice issues. But more than anything, I like that it's not just a stand-alone holiday event, but is connected in meaningful ways to other worthwhile events and celebrations.

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hah. That sounds a little too much like "being picked last for a floor hockey team in gym" -- I can imagine all too well having to finally offer to pay someone to kiss me, just to avoid humiliation!

I love that the Yule party is connected to Fantasy Gay Pride. I don't know of a lot of Christmas events in-world that are outward-looking, and involve raising funds (or awareness) for things like social justice issues. But more than anything, I like that it's not just a stand-alone holiday event, but is connected in meaningful ways to other worthwhile events and celebrations.

Well, our Pagan group is the group that RUNS Fantasy Gay Pride. So we kinda have to or else it won't happen at all... 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I will definitely have an RL tree. Even though I am not Christian, I love Christmas, and I love most of the secular rituals associated with it. And I think I will get a small and tasteful tree for my SL boathouse. Nothing fancy -- just something to look pretty and cheerful.

The tree is yet another pagan thing, though. It's not entirely clear what the purpose was, or if there was any purpose aside from it being decorative, but Germanic and Norse pagans put evergreen branches in their homes - probably to bring some colour into them. There's theories about the tree being a symbol of the cosmic world tree (Irminsul and Yggdrasil respectively), although it's been contested as A) there's no 'proof' of this and B) Irminsul was an oak, and Yggdrasil an ash tree - so neither were pine trees. 

It was, as many other things, turned into a more Christian thing with Martin Luther (being German himself) supposedly being responsible for the tradition of putting lights into them.

Either way it's hard to say when, why, or who, when it comes to the Christmas trees. In the Scandinavian languages we, again, call it 'julgran' ('Yule pine') rather than in any way referencing Christ or Christianity. The earliest mention of them is from the 16th Century in Germany, at which point Germany had already been Christian for roughly a millennia, but being that they're also used in Scandinavia, it's believed to have pagan Germanic roots, and that the failure to stop people from observing those traditions turned into an attempt to turn them into Christian traditions (much like the Norse's dancing around a giant phallus symbol in hopes for virility in both themselves and their crops, was turned into dancing around a, if somewhat inconspicuous-looking, cross). 

Majsta%CC%8Ang-1024x678.jpg

The same goes for the character of Krampus and the Yule Goat (in the Norse tradition having been representative of Thor, as his wagon was pulled by two goats), that over time has turned from being the one to bring gifts - or earlier still, the one you'd give gifts (rather than Santa Claus, who is obviously Christian - Saint Nicholas), into a toy that was used for certain yule games, and these days is little more than a decoration - usually made out of straw with red silk bands.

15609370_10154295732017734_765851873_o_5

Again, our adaptation of Santa Claus went a bit wild as rather than introducing a wholly new character, it was more convenient to just add a spice of Christianity onto the existing traditions - the house elves. Every home was watched over by at least one elf, small in stature and wearing a pointy hat. They were present throughout the year, and were especially important in childbirth, whether human or among the animals. Once per year, during Yule, you were to show your gratitude by leaving a bowl of porridge with a lump of butter out for the house elf. There are also stories about how arrogant people think that their elf needs to be more appropriately dressed to represent their wealth, but how giving them new clothes would make them go away - as they no longer considered themselves servants (I wonder where Rowling got her inspiration for Dobby and the house elf rules in Harry Potter!).

They are frequently depicted as this to this day, in Yule cards or, as in this case, on the label of a company selling Julmust (a yule beverage).

qe4bU1GDaMY5cg_nlvrMQsyU-5afsQ4XRCAU-ICm 

TL:DR: Christmas trees can totally be used by people who aren't religious!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Orwar said:

TL:DR: Christmas trees can totally be used by people who aren't religious!

The story, which is I think accurate, is that Christmas trees were introduced into Britain (and hence Canada and the US too, I suppose) by Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's Consort. Albert was, of course, German.

I just think they're pretty, and smell nice. And they'll always be associated in my mind with gifts, of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The story, which is I think accurate, is that Christmas trees were introduced into Britain (and hence Canada and the US too, I suppose) by Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's Consort. Albert was, of course, German.

Yep! It's a really nice story.

Victoria and Albert were depicted on this newfangled thing - a colourised Christmas card, posing in front of their Christmas tree. Immediately, the Brits all wanted one. A bit like her white wedding dress is why people now wear white wedding dresses. She was quite the trendsetter! 

_50424114_3292335.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:
On 12/2/2020 at 11:25 AM, Luna Bliss said:

Not sure how Christ came to be involved in it....need to read more History.

There may possibly be more to it than this, but Christianity, especially once it began to focus on the converting the Gentiles, proved very adept at accommodating and/or absorbing the rituals, holidays, and even deities, of other religions. It was something the Romans did too. So, Christianity decided that "X" pagan festival, or icon, or what-have-you, was really Christian. It made it much easier to convert people. And I think that this is what happened to Saturnalia.

There was a time I knew this. Where did that info go? lol

Anyway, those sneaky Xtians.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:52 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'd really love to hear about what those of other cultures and religions are celebrating in Second Life

I haven't figured out where to put it in my home yet, but this is a working version in SL and I plan on using it as such. It begins at nightfall on Thursday, December 10, despite Google (infallible Google) showing it on Friday. My first candle will be lit in both lives early Thursday evening. /me looks at you google calendars...

This will be my first SL Hanukkah/Chanukah so I don't know what, if anything else, I will be doing. Contrary to what many believe, because the holiday is so close to Christmas, Hanukkah isn't one of the big holidays. It just gets all of the attention because: December and presents.

image.png.4f88e67e37c9cf3d321837657820ffe9.png

image.png.d6ca05124fccf1aa8830c98265f882e1.png

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I haven't figured out where to put it in my home yet, but this is a working version in SL and I plan on using it as such. It begins at nightfall on Thursday, December 10, despite Google (infallible Google) showing it on Friday. My first candle will be lit in both lives early Thursday evening. /me looks at you google calendars...

This will be my first SL Hanukkah/Chanukah so I don't know what, if anything else, I will be doing. Contrary to what many believe, because the holiday is so close to Christmas, Hanukkah isn't one of the big holidays. It just gets all of the attention because: December and presents.

image.png.4f88e67e37c9cf3d321837657820ffe9.png

image.png.d6ca05124fccf1aa8830c98265f882e1.png

I was wondering why no one had yet posted about Hanukkah (or Diwali, or Kwanzaa, or Mawlid).

This is very cool: I love the idea of digital, virtual versions of this kind of ancient ceremonial, and the idea of accommodating our spirituality to new technologies. (Or, adapting our new technologies to our spirituality!)

There must surely be Jewish communities in-world that celebrate, or even simply worship, as communities?

The basic winter solstice. The fact that the sun starts to noticeably come back up in the sky a few days after the 21st, the days become lighter and longer. In ancient times I might get a massive fir tree into the centre of the village and light it on fire in celebration, or hand out gifts to my family and friends in celebration that the dark winter has been stopped. Perhaps even a feast. Almost like we should make a celebration of this celestial and long-noticed event, in fact ;) 

Additionally, I celebrate my RL birthday on the 25th. That's what that specific winter celebration day is really about for my family.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I was wondering why no one had yet posted about Hanukkah (or Diwali, or Kwanzaa, or Mawlid).

This is very cool: I love the idea of digital, virtual versions of this kind of ancient ceremonial, and the idea of accommodating our spirituality to new technologies. (Or, adapting our new technologies to our spirituality!)

There must surely be Jewish communities in-world that celebrate, or even simply worship, as communities?

We iz a minority, sweetums. :)

There are several Jewish SL groups, and yes they do have actual regions and members. I haven't been to any services. My RL rabbi has Jew Zoom services because the synagogue is closed due to covid. We have Zoom Shabbat, Zoom Kippur, Zoom Hanukkah... and they are well attended. And it is hilarious watching the old folks try to figger out the Zoom thingie and there are usually several oldies who leave their mics open. They like to sing along...

I will be lighting candles etc IRL and my menorah in SL.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Contrary to what many believe, because the holiday is so close to Christmas, Hanukkah isn't one of the big holidays. It just gets all of the attention because: December and presents.

A Jewish person I once knew laughed about how when he was little his family had a 'Hanukkah Bush.' ;)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

My RL rabbi has Jew Zoom services

Is this different from regular Zoom? Perhaps run by the secret Jewish cabal that rules the world behind the scenes? (🙄)

29 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

And it is hilarious watching the old folks try to figger out the Zoom thingie and there are usually several oldies who leave their mics open.

Reminds me of this. I was reading it on my phone at work yesterday while IT was spending hours remoted into my computer to fix a bunch of stuff that happened in a BSOD the night before (I just gave up and went home, left if to solve yesterday, lol). I about fell in the floor laughing, I could barely take it. Other people I shared it with found it funny but not to the degree I did, so YMM. :)

https://www.boredpanda.com/old-people-using-technology/?utm_source=duckduckgo&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=organic

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Is this different from regular Zoom? Perhaps run by the secret Jewish cabal that rules the world behind the scenes? (🙄)

Reminds me of this. I was reading it on my phone at work yesterday while IT was spending hours remoted into my computer to fix a bunch of stuff that happened in a BSOD the night before (I just gave up and went home, left if to solve yesterday, lol). I about fell in the floor laughing, I could barely take it. Other people I shared it with found it funny but not to the degree I did, so YMM. :)

https://www.boredpanda.com/old-people-using-technology/?utm_source=duckduckgo&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=organic

I'm converting just so I can join the cabal as there are group discounts. I couldn't get past this on your link: image.thumb.png.26475cd404e0e18dc70dfac1876c0f5b.png

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'm converting just so I can join the cabal, there are group discounts. I

We *****s used to get a toaster for converting a str8, but now all the young girls are bi anyhow. Doesn't matter, I have a garage fulla toasters already, and never make toast or Eggos or whatever the hell people use toasters for anyhow. ;)

Not sure whether you meant you liked the link or thought is was stupid, lol. Sorry if it turned out to be a waste of time. :)

ETA: Hmmm, turns out even if you are a lesbian, you can't use the word I wanted. So insert 'lesbian' where the asterisks are. Wow, this forum is just too precious.

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

We *****s used to get a toaster for converting a str8, but now all the young girls are bi anyhow. Doesn't matter, I have a garage fulla toasters already, and never make toast or Eggos or whatever the hell people use toasters for anyhow. ;)

Not sure whether you meant you liked the link or thought is was stupid, lol. Sorry if it turned out to be a waste of time. :)

ETA: Hmmm, turns out even if you are a lesbian, you can't use the word I wanted. So insert 'lesbian' where the asterisks are. Wow, this forum is just too precious.

Ain't it just?

I meant that I laughed too hard at the oops, Facebook message to continue. :)

• Like 2

On topic: How am I supposed to celebrate SL Hannukah when there are NO sludty (figger the real spelling would get **** out) outfits?!?!  You can't throw a cat (I tried, with GiGi) without hitting a kinky Christmas elf, but sheeze. Nothing even in blue and white...  :::pouts:::

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

One holiday I think would REALLY suit SL would be Chinese New Year. Would be perfect for particle fireworks, banners and lanterns, big mesh dragons, etc.

I went to one for the year of the Snake - it was OK but didn't really have any decorations, more of a theme for a club night.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 982 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.