how to run a lottery

Vinetor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi every body!i'm planning to run a  lottery and i want to know anything i should know!all about rules and how to hire a scripter to set up the system and how to advertise!and i need to mention that i should advertise so big so many people could sign up! please help me out !thanks and waiting for your responds!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Vinetor said:

Hi every body!i'm planning to run a  lottery and i want to know anything i should know!all about rules and how to hire a scripter to set up the system and how to advertise!and i need to mention that i should advertise so big so many people could sign up! please help me out !thanks and waiting for your responds!

and this

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Second_Life_Skill_Game_Guidelines

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Vinetor said:

A lottery is a form of gambling that involves the drawing of numbers at random for a prize.

“Skill Games” are not intended to include and shall not include “gambling” as defined by applicable United States and international law.

So basically, you can't run a lottery as it's considered gambling and not a skill game.

Edited by RowanMinx

I think this is why so many radio or TV phone/text in competitions ask entrants to answer an incredibly easy question...so that it can fall outside the restrictions for gambling, since it does actually require a "skill" of sorts and isn't literally just a draw from anyone who puts their name in.

• Like 1

A man bragged to his friend:
- "I sold a dead horse for $1,378."
- "How on earth did you pull that off?"
- "I made a lottery for and advertised in the local newspaper that the prize was horse, and sold tickets for $1 each."
- "Didn't the winner get upset the horse was dead though?"
- "Sure did, so I paid him his $1 back."

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

On 8/24/2020 at 10:50 PM, RowanMinx said:

A lottery is a form of gambling that involves the drawing of numbers at random for a prize.

“Skill Games” are not intended to include and shall not include “gambling” as defined by applicable United States and international law.

So basically, you can't run a lottery as it's considered gambling and not a skill game.

On 8/24/2020 at 11:17 PM, Amina Sopwith said:

I think this is why so many radio or TV phone/text in competitions ask entrants to answer an incredibly easy question...so that it can fall outside the restrictions for gambling, since it does actually require a "skill" of sorts and isn't literally just a draw from anyone who puts their name in.

Actually gambling is far different from lottos

So do a favor and don't try to give economical opinion or anything else you call it if you don't even know what is a lotto

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Vinetor said:

So do a favor and don't try to give economical opinion or anything else you call it if you don't even know what is a lotto

The point was that a lottery is drawing numbers at random from anyone who pays to enter. If you have to answer a question, there's a test of sorts to pass, a "skill" if you will, before you get entered into the draw. The question is made insanely easy so that lots of people will enter, but it stops it from actually being a lottery or true gambling. At least, that's how it works in the UK and that's why so many online/phone in prize draws bung a question on top of it.

Good luck with getting lots of people to throw money at you. You sound delightful.

Edited by Amina Sopwith

2 hours ago, Vinetor said:

LMAO um no, gambling is the same as lotto, you GAMBLE your money for a CHANCE to win a prize.

Despite what you said, you can not create a lotto in Second Life.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_Regarding_Wagering_in_Second_Life

It is a violation of this policy to wager in games in the Second Life® environment operated on Linden Lab servers if such games:

Rely on chance or random number generation to determine a winner
OR
Rely on the outcome of real-life organized sporting events,

AND provide a payout in

Linden Dollars (L$)
OR
Any real-world currency or thing of value.

As far as I know the only way you could possibly get around it is if you don't expect anyone to pay (this is defined in LL policy as a wager) anything towards it and they just enter. This is how legal sploders work in sl as well as things like prize chairs.

So for example, you alone provide the prize (I also assume this has to be a non cash prize as you cannot payout in Linden Dollars or RL cash) and then people freely can get a ticket for it without paying for that ticket.

EDIT:

And just to add to the above and taken from the same policy link quoted above:

Does this policy apply to "skill contests?"

This policy only applies to wagering games that involve an element of chance. This includes, for instance, any game involving random number generation, simulated dice, cards, poker, lotteries, bingo, or any other "chance" game

That all said @Linden Lab can confirm if what i said is correct as it is a minefield when it comes to this kind of thing.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2020 at 6:47 AM, Amina Sopwith said:

i think that if we did this in SL then Linden would probably consider it a game of skill and we would have to put it on a Skill Gaming Region. If it was pay-to-play and we never got at least our money back from playing

A: Hey I sold my old car for 4990$!

B: That old junker? How did you do that?

A: I ran a lottery, 10$/ticket, and if you win you get the car.

B: I don't get it.

A: 500 people participated. The winner came to collect the car, but when they saw it, they asked for a refund instead.

B: So what did you do?

A: I gave them back their 10$ and kept the car.

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, julieare said:

umm, could a lotto be done , but not for prize money i mean would it still be considered if people pay to join a group and then a name is drawn at random to win a voucher or a item of value? 

if people join the group for a fee and then after the draw all the people are removed from the group and have to pay again to join for the next draw then that would be a lottery

but if you have a group and give away prizes/gifts to your group members then is not a lottery. Is the removal ftom group and rejoining for a fee that would make it a lottery

On 8/28/2020 at 2:51 PM, Vinetor said:

Well, since you are having hard time in believing that lotteries are GAMBLING, maybe this screenshot taken from google might help you. And even after this, you think it's wrong, then my friend, you just have issues, and need a thorough check up of your head. :)

lottery a gamble..jpg

9 hours ago, julieare said:

umm, could a lotto be done , but not for prize money i mean would it still be considered if people pay to join a group and then a name is drawn at random to win a voucher or a item of value? 

That's called a giveaway and not a lotto. Almost everyone does a giveaway nowadays. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.