Is Premium Worth It???

MrBalloone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:03 AM, MrBalloone said:
  1. If you're content with an ugly, tiny starter home then I guess so. If you plan to get a proper looking home then this is completely useless as you have zero modify rights to the linden home
  2. The stipend offsets a bit of the premium cost I guess. You get ~$1USD of $L per week, do the math
  3. This is a joke and pretty much 100% useless
  4. This is also a joke and pretty much 100% useless as there are 500 other non-premium sandboxes you can go to that are 100% identical
  5. If you plan to get your account hacked every other week, or is completely illiterate in technology and need remote access to install SL on your computer, then I guess this is useful. Otherwise why in the world would people expect tech support for a second life account? Firestorm viewer support group is literally 10x more useful than this as LL employees are pretty much clueless
  6. Again useless unless you plain to actually own land in "popular areas", i.e. commercial sims not residential ones
  7. What? You have immediate access to adult only areas as a non-premium as long as you have payment info on file, which you'd have as a premium cause you already paid money. I don't know wtf this one is talking about
  8. One of the few actual useful benefits. As a non-premium, if you like dressing up, 42 slots will run out insanely quickly as every damn shop wants you to join their group
  9. Absolutely useless. The only sims that will EVER have capped traffic are the monthly shopping events, which usually clear up within 1-2 days. SL is not at its prime anymore. This isn't WoW at launch where 50k players queue up to log in, don't kid yourself. There are also ways to get into these full sims as non-premium, just search around
  10. Absolutely useless. I've been in SL for over 10 years and I have never heard of any "premium only events", or at least any that are worth attending. They're not exactly doing themselves a favour in terms of revenue if they limit their sim to premium only now are they?
  11. I guess it's useful if you want to troll around
  12. Unless you're the designer of an insanely popular shop, again absolutely useless. Even if you're a social butterfly you will not be getting that many IM's while you're offline, unless your friends are all idiots
  13. Useless cause you can just export the list every month

Imo #8 is the only benefit I'd find useful, therefore premium is not worth it (for me). There are other benefits if you plan to own a shop or own land.

Edited by MelodicRain
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

For me, the stipend combined with the Linden Home is worth it.  I wanted a home in Second Life, as well as the extra spending linden that I get weekly - comparing the costs of most rentals that I was interested in along with my typical budget in second life, I am saving money.  Having a house on my property that does not count against my LI is nice, so is the ability to have a skybox above it.  

When it was cheaper, I had 3 premium accounts which I used to maintain a 4096 plot, at the current rate though, it just is not worth it to me to fork out nearly $400 USD a year for such a small parcel of land, especially when I can get 4 regions which cost almost half of that on a moderately priced opensim region.  For people that really want a spot in SL at a cheaper rate than buying it outright, then it probably would be worth it when you consider the stipend though.

All of the other benefits are of no real interest to me,  I never use them.  

It really depends on what you want out of SL.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1

I have to agree with Istelathis.

"For me, the stipend combined with the Linden Home is worth it.  I wanted a home in Second Life, as well as the extra spending linden that I get weekly - comparing the costs of most rentals that I was interested in along with my typical budget in second life, I am saving money.  Having a house on my property that does not count against my LI is nice, so is the ability to have a skybox above it. "

I I started with a loft LL home back in the day. Then progressed to owning 1/3 and then full sim for several years, each has its pros and cons.  In an effort to save RL money in uncertain economic times I chose to sell all and move back into an LL home.  (pictured below is my first LL home.)  it was a great place for two people.  Everywhere i have lived I noticed 90% of homes are empty prim palaces used for changing or sexual activities. but no one typically uses them for entertaining guests or enjoying some down time. So they are paying for what?

I looked at that and realized wow I'm paying a lot of $ USD  either renting from others or owning the land so I can have a prim palace.  When as a premium member,2053822994_Snapshot_WrothsPlaceOldGomez(19942)-Moderate.png.9620be116f16c43964e6f1128c630334.png I can get a free home and pocket the stipend.. It was a no brainer for me.. 

~Peace~

Did you ever think that being popular in SL, Is like sitting at the cool table in the mental ward?

Edited by vladimir Wroth
  • Like 4

• 2 years later...

With a Premium account, you get "Immediate access to adult-only areas". Don't you already get that with Basic free account?
You get "L$10 uploads of sounds, textures, and animations". Don't you already get that with Basic free account? 
You get "Animesh attachments for your avatar". Don't you already get that with Basic free account? Isn't that what mesh avatars are?

You get "Exclusive access to Premium areas" and "Access to premium-only events and experiences". Where are they?

8 minutes ago, Kermit Penucca said:

With a Premium account, you get "Immediate access to adult-only areas". Don't you already get that with Basic free account?
You get "L$10 uploads of sounds, textures, and animations". Don't you already get that with Basic free account? 
You get "Animesh attachments for your avatar". Don't you already get that with Basic free account? Isn't that what mesh avatars are?

You get "Exclusive access to Premium areas" and "Access to premium-only events and experiences". Where are they?

Free accounts don't have access to Adult rated areas until they add/use payment info. If Premium is the first purchase you make, then I guess it's accurate.

I think what the "L$10 uploads" is referring to is that you get them for free, unlike free accounts who have to pay per upload. It seems poorly worded.

Animesh attachments are different from mesh attachments (such as the mesh body/head you'd normally wear).
They have their own, separate skeleton that can be animated separately from your avatar, despite it being attached to you.
Free accounts can have one animesh attachment, premium account can have two.

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I think what the "L$10 uploads" is referring to is that you get them for free, unlike free accounts who have to pay per upload. It seems poorly worded.

premium still pays for upload, I think it's there to contrast vs premium plus which doesn't pay for uploads.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Free accounts don't have access to Adult rated areas until they add/use payment info. If Premium is the first purchase you make, then I guess it's accurate.

Animesh attachments are different from mesh attachments (such as the mesh body/head you'd normally wear).
They have their own, separate skeleton that can be animated separately from your avatar, despite it being attached to you.
Free accounts can have one animesh attachment, premium account can have two.

Wrong.  Just enter a date of birth at sign-up stating an adult and you have full access to adult areas and land the moment you enter second life.

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Free accounts don't have access to Adult rated areas until they add/use payment info

Basic accounts have access to adult content regardless of payment info. It's what lots of free accounts are here for.  😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Basic accounts have access to adult content regardless of payment info. It's what lots of free accounts are here for.  😁

Huh, when did the age verification thing change? I remember being unable to set allowed ratings to include adult rated sims on new accounts, and I still can't gift Adult-rated products from MP to one of my 15 year old accounts, which can enter Adult rated sims.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Huh, when did the age verification thing change? I remember being unable to set allowed ratings to include adult rated sims on new accounts, and I still can't gift Adult-rated products from MP to one of my 15 year old accounts, which can enter Adult rated sims.

I think they tried using PIOF when they created Zindra or around that time.  I don't know how long it lasted but it's no longer a thing.

If you look at this Knowledge base article, especially the comments, you'll notice they removed any mention of PIOF to access adult content...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Kermit Penucca said:

Maybe they should throw in a free calendar...

Sounds like you're reading something that compares Premium to the other subscriptions, "Plus" and "Premium Plus," which didn't exist when this thread was starten.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Maybe they should throw in a free calendar...

Sounds like you're reading something that compares Premium to the other subscriptions, "Plus" and "Premium Plus," which didn't exist when this thread was starten.

Those quotes are from the official "change membership" page.

https://accounts.secondlife.com/change_membership/

There seems to be confusion between account levels and what they offer:

• Basic account - you cannot own mainland or have a Linden home. You cannot host an experience and you do not get any stipend. You have a smaller allowance on resource requiring things such as group membership, stored offline messages, etc. However, you can still do most SL things (buy/sell Linden, create groups at the $L 100 fee, upload textures/animations/sounds for $L 10 each, etc). Cost is 0.00 or free.
  • "plus" accounts - allows you to buy mainland, gives you 512 land allowance (first 512 sqM is tier-free), and $L 150 a week stipend, and 8 more groups than basic) Cost is 5.99 a month or 65.99 annual.
  • "premium" accounts - allows you to buy mainland, allows you to have a free linden home OR a 1024 sqM tier-free mainland parcel allowance, $L 300 a week stipend, 22 more groups than basic, more stored instant messages, and ability to host one land experience, online chat support during business hours and a few other things. Cost is 9.99 a month or 99.00 annual.
  • "Premium Plus" accounts - allows you to buy mainland, allows you to have a free Linden home, 2048 sqM tier-free mainland parcel allowance (can be split between mainland and Bellisseria homes or used all on mainland),  $L 650 a week stipend, 92 more groups than basic, even more stored instant messages than premium, ability to host 2 land experiences, free texture/sound/animation uploads, cheaper group creation fees, phone and/or online chat support during business hours, and a few other things. Cost is 29.99 a month or 249.00 annual.

Each person has to decide what is "worth it" to him/her. For example, if you want to own land, you need one of the non-basic premium accounts. If you want to have a free Linden Home, you need Premium or Premium Plus. If you want to have your own experience, you need premium or premium plus, etc.

For me personally, I need a lot of groups because I am in leadership in multiple areas that each require several groups, plus I own an SL store, etc. Last December I got to the point where 70 groups were not enough for my needs; so Premium Plus became "worth it" to me because I want/need more than 70 groups.

If you dont want or need any of the services that the paid accounts provide, then they are probably not worth it to you and why pay for something you dont need or want. But when you want/need something, then you tend to be more willing to pay for it.

Edited by Teresa Firelight
fix typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Each person has to decide what is "worth it" to him/her.

Teresa is absolutely spot-on. For me (not you, me), my plan decision is dominated by lowering the cost of owning less than half a region of mainland. I have posted about this extensively (8x10 glossies with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining each one) and find annual Premium (actually Premium stacking via multiple alts) is the right choice for me.

You do what is right for you.

Edited by diamond Marchant
I always have typos
  • Like 1

of course it is! ;)
When someone goes premium, they actually had prepaid for land at a good rate.
Also, they receive a stipend which makes things even better/cheaper!
But, there is also something else making going premium worthy!
When someone goes premium, they get the right to buy tittles of land and then resell them!
Thats business! And if the merchant knows what they doing, business always bring profits!

Welcome to SL!
Enjoy!

With kind regards,
beethros Karas

• Like 1

Boa tarde.

Tenho um Plano Premium que irá terminar em Julho deste ano, com uma área de 1024 m2 e que adquiri por o terreno onde anteriormente morava ter mudado de proprietário. Escolhi este Plano um pouco à pressa, ja que tinha que largar o terreno anterior em poucos dias. Ora, com o decorrer do tempo, verifiquei que os prims à minha disposição são insuficientes para aquilo que pretendo para minha habitação, já que tenho animais que gostariam que coabitassem comigo. Alguém me disse que poderia comprar mais m2 para o local onde vivo. E deu-me este link 

Ora gostaria de saber desta faculdade e se me é realmente concedida. 

Obrigada.

Edited by Aradhana Luminos

1 hour ago, Aradhana Luminos said:

translated to English from Portugese via Google Translate...

Good afternoon.

I have a Premium Plan that will end in July this year, with an area of 1024 m2 and which I acquired because the land where I previously lived had changed hands. I chose this Plan a bit in a hurry, since I had to leave the previous terrain in a few days. Now, over time, I found that the prims at my disposal are insufficient for what I want for my home, since I have animals that I would like to live with me. Someone told me that I could buy more m2 for where I live. And gave me this link

Now I would like to know about this faculty and if it is really granted to me.

Thanks.

Assuming you own a 1024 m2 parcel on mainland, you may increase the LI available to you by purchasing another parcel in the same region, as the prim allowances for parcels in a region of the SAME owner are combined. For example if you purchased another 1024 parcel in the same region, your LI would double. However, if you do this, your will have to pay tier for the additional parcel, as your Premium membership has only a 1024 included tier. Tier for an addtional 1024 is $US 7 per month. Tier pricing for other size is here https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000161795-mainland-tier-pricing.

If your parcel is a Linden Home, you cannot increase the LI limit at the present time.

9 hours ago, Aradhana Luminos said:

Boa tarde.

Tenho um Plano Premium que irá terminar em Julho deste ano, com uma área de 1024 m2 e que adquiri por o terreno onde anteriormente morava ter mudado de proprietário. Escolhi este Plano um pouco à pressa, ja que tinha que largar o terreno anterior em poucos dias. Ora, com o decorrer do tempo, verifiquei que os prims à minha disposição são insuficientes para aquilo que pretendo para minha habitação, já que tenho animais que gostariam que coabitassem comigo. Alguém me disse que poderia comprar mais m2 para o local onde vivo. E deu-me este link 

Ora gostaria de saber desta faculdade e se me é realmente concedida. 

Obrigada.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/231-português/

• Confused 1

I've cut down the number of premium accounts I have because they are mouths to feed -- they don't pay for themselves any more and they need to be dressed reasonably so as not to scare the tenants, you know? Fortunately the library avatars are better now but you need more than that so you don't look like a noob.

I find them useful as follows:

o the stipend, while reduced, still offsets the cost and I use them to absorb the cost of $30/wk search/place ads which are less effective than they were, so I have less of them, but still, some

o the 1024 m2 which is not trivial as beethros says, you can start a little land sale or rental business which in a world where it seems only coders and graphic artists have jobs, is important to diversify the economy. If nothing else, you can sell gatchas, which, while modified are still a thing.

o you'll have to put payment info on file, and this ensures you aren't blocked from NPIOF sites

o with all the sales and stores that give you group gifts, yes, you need lots of groups especially if you don't want to spend money. I never thought I'd run out of Premium Plus slots for groups, but I'm just about to

o the names of these accounts are confusing with two "pluses" so they should change them

o the $5.99 account is good which we use to have a backup for tier in case anyone suddenly withdraws it. Better to have an account that costs $5.99 a month to tier up, than one that costs $11.99.

o the premium gifts are fairly useless and high prim

o I have never heard of any premium events - I think it gives you the option to get on a sim when it's crowded? Not sure. Not so important to me.

o Linden homes are alright. Hunt around and find a nice one. They are a nice respite and often the sims are empty. Yes, you get bored without prims and with sameness of the surroundings but given how the Mainland can get blight, and given how you'd only have the same amount of prims on your own land, it's a good deal because you get a house you can change up to a point plus the 351 prims.

It's best to annualize these accounts, then they feel less painful. I certainly can't afford to do that on all mine but it's a goal.

• Like 3

On 4/17/2023 at 12:12 AM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I still can't gift Adult-rated products from MP to one of my 15 year old accounts, which can enter Adult rated sims.

with legacy accounts that have marketplace rating issues then we have to file a ticket

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 12:19 AM, diamond Marchant said:

Assuming you own a 1024 m2 parcel on mainland, you may increase the LI available to you by purchasing another parcel in the same region, as the prim allowances for parcels in a region of the SAME owner are combined. For example if you purchased another 1024 parcel in the same region, your LI would double. However, if you do this, your will have to pay tier for the additional parcel, as your Premium membership has only a 1024 included tier. Tier for an addtional 1024 is $US 7 per month. Tier pricing for other size is here https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000161795-mainland-tier-pricing.

If your parcel is a Linden Home, you cannot increase the LI limit at the present time.

Agradeço a todos a disponibilidade de me responderem. A verdade é que o SL, neste contexto é bastante confuso...e ando de link em link sem perceber nada...Entretanto como meu Plano Premium esta a terminar, resolvi dar uma volta pelos terreno e muitos estão designados com "Protected Llnden" onde existe um grande numero de casas completamente vazias de objectos. Casas muito maiores que a minha e com bastante terreno e ainda mais, muitas delas com vista para o mar ou para alguma cascata. Sou apaixonada por mar e agora não consigo deixar de visitar aquelas zonas. Mas como adquirir, (comprar ou alugar) uma daquelas casas? Ja li tantos links à procura de resposta ou solução e nunca a encontro. O mais certo é chegando ao final do Plano, desistir... 

Obrigada a todos pela amabilidade das vossas respostas.

"Worth it" is totally a matter of "your focus determines your reality", isn't it? I became a premium member mainly because I like this crazy world and want it to continue, even throughout phases when I don't really have the time to visit and support it in other ways. To be less like the people who pop up in group chats of long-gone sims and are all "OMG! I haven't been here in a year and now the sim is closed?!? Oh noes!!! WHY?!!!?" :D

The "premium perks" other than the bit of covered mainland tier and stipend don't really interest me, and I could do without, too, but it's nice to own a little piece of Left of Heaven 😍

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.