Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Drayke Newall said:

Just because you are run that way doesn't mean liberal policies don't get passed.

Oh, please enlighten me as to how I am racist?

If I have to tell you then you already lost lmao. Smh Seren is so right.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mollymews said:

article about 3 police unions (San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles) wanting reforms that they believe will make things better for themselves and the public they serve

https://abc7.com/california-police-unions-unveil-plan-for-national-reform/6247207/

The last sentence of the article gets at the reason the unions are responding with reforms.

"Robert Harris of the Los Angeles Police Protective League says the changes will requires community involvement and defunding police departments will make it harder to accomplish their goals."

They're trying to hang on to their funding, which I think really must be cut to fund alternative methods for handling some of the things police forces currently do. Though "defunding" may satisfy an angry public, it's probably a bridge too far. "Reallocating" is a more palatable solution, where some funding goes to medical/social services that can ameliorate conditions that lead to a true need for police intervention.

A better response might be "Robert Harris of the Los Angeles Police Protective League says the LAPD will seek community involvement as they shift their goals and reallocate funds to better ways of serving and protecting the public."

Nevertheless, progress is progress.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, RavynHunter said:

Instead, recruits need to be judged on Character, which refers to a set of moral and mental qualities and beliefs, that makes a person different from others. This includes traits that reveal themselves only in specific—and often uncommon—circumstances, traits like honesty, virtue, and kindliness.

One must possess this one trait, above all others, before being considered as a viable recruit. That trait is empathy. No other trait can compensate for empathy. Not one person who lacked empathy, in whose application process I was, and am actively involved in, got past the initial application.

This.

I mentioned earlier my participation on the jury in a trial that involved a cop who's flawed behavior in the courtroom lost the prosecution a felony conviction. I could not understand why that cop was a cop. His behavior, every second I witnessed of it, was worrisome. How do people like that get in the front door of the police academy in the first place?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RavynHunter said:

Now that I am done defending myself, lol, I will agree wholeheartedly with you on testing to "identify..." Through my background and experience, existing personality tests are wonderful to test someones personality. That is used by many agencies, and it is the wrong approach. Personality refers to the combination of qualities, attitude and behavior, that makes a person distinct from others. Some examples being are they funny, shy, confident, lazy etc.  Instead, recruits need to be judged on Character, which refers to a set of moral and mental qualities and beliefs, that makes a person different from others. This includes traits that reveal themselves only in specific—and often uncommon—circumstances, traits like honesty, virtue, and kindliness.

Empathy is one of the characteristics rated during the in-depth personality tests. Personality tests also rate a person's character, or can.

I have the final solution....all cops should be women!!   Alternatively we can make cops pop hormone pills -- I think I'd rather like seeing violent, authoritarian men sprout little boobs.

Testosterone impairs cognitive empathy on the Reading the Mind in Eyes-test.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0306453016300671

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

If I have to tell you then you already lost lmao. Smh Seren is so right.

Good heavens, I have to wonder to what they are teaching children in America and also am concerned about the future world after watching that video. So her entire stance is because I am born white in a multicultural country like Australia I am already racist from day one. Great logic that is. A country which provides more benefits and opportunities to its indigenous people than it does its white citizens and a country where laws are already in place to stop anti racial and discrimination. That is to say far better society than America.

You have also 100% proven my point that all Americans live in a secluded little bubble away from the rest of the world whereby they think EVERY place is exactly like America, suffers the same issues etc.

The mere fact she actually generalises the whole white race at the start of the video and justifies her stance of that solely based on skewed statistics in one country known for its racial issues is absolutely laughable.

So sorry I ask again how am I racist as a white Australian when I don't live in America or for wanting racism as a whole to be removed from society and not just focusing on one form of racism at a time? 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

Good heavens, I have to wonder to what they are teaching children in America and also am concerned about the future world after watching that video. So her entire stance is because I am born white in a multicultural country like Australia I am already racist from day one. Great logic that is. A country which provides more benefits and opportunities to its indigenous people than it does its white citizens and a country where laws are already in place to stop anti racial and discrimination. That is to say far better society than America.

You have also 100% proven my point that all Americans live in a secluded little bubble away from the rest of the world whereby they think EVERY place is exactly like America, suffers the same issues etc.

The mere fact she actually generalises the whole white race at the start of the video and justifies her stance of that solely based on skewed statistics in one country known for its racial issues is absolutely laughable.

So sorry I ask again how am I racist as a white Australian when I don't live in America or for wanting racism as a whole to be removed from society and not just focusing on one form of racism at a time? 

Aww, is it hard to accept you’re a racist bigot? It’s okay, take deep breaths.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

I wouldn't say you are necessarily racist, but we would need to define the term in detail.

But I am sick of those in other countries landing in this forum and trashing BLM, when you really have no idea how Blacks have been the latrine of America for hundreds of years, and so don't really get why there's so much of an upset over what continues to happen with Black oppression to this very day.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I have the final solution....all cops should be women!!   Alternatively we can make cops pop hormone pills -- I think I'd rather like seeing violent, authoritarian men sprout little boobs.

Oh my gaaaaaaah, Luna.  My ex used to tell me when I asked why are there all these problems in the world,  he would say "testosterone".

As far as separating by color, it's got me wondering is that really the wisest way to fight fascism in toto?  I'm not so sure we have a good plan here for all people nor are we acknowledging the suffering of people of other colors.   I felt that way about Trudeau in that he'd take a knee for George Floyd but not for the native Canadian woman who was murdered by the police only one week prior when Trudeau took the knee.   

Hmmmmmmmmmm?  

20 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Oh my gaaaaaaah, Luna.  My ex used to tell me when I asked why are there all these problems in the world,  he would say "testosterone".

As far as separating by color, it's got me wondering is that really the wisest way to fight fascism in toto?  I'm not so sure we have a good plan here for all people nor are we acknowledging the suffering of people of other colors.   I felt that way about Trudeau in that he'd take a knee for George Floyd but not for the native Canadian woman who was murdered by the police only one week prior when Trudeau took the knee.   

Hmmmmmmmmmm?  

lol yes...let's blame testosterone for awhile!

The problem with mentioning all the other racism and woes of the world, most especially at this juncture in time, is that deflecting on to other problems in the world has been a primary way to shut Blacks up when they try to talk about their oppression.   " Well what about X, or what about Z"   is, or can be, a way not to take their concerns seriously.   It's called 'whataboutism', and is a common psychological defense used to not accept responsibility.

* not saying you are not concerned about Blacks, but why support racists who try to eliminate the concern of Blacks via using a method they use to facilitate oppression?

Edited by Luna Bliss

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The problem with mentioning all the other racism and woes of the world, most especially at this juncture in time, is that deflecting on to other problems in the world has been a primary way to shut Blacks up when they try to talk about their oppression.   " Well what about X, or what about Z"   is, or can be, a way not to take their concerns seriously.   It's called 'whataboutism', and is a common psychological defense used not to accept responsibility.

Yeah.  But, no matter if we address this unclouded, the deaths of the others are going to be dealt with how though?  

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The problem with mentioning all the other racism and woes of the world, most especially at this juncture in time, is that deflecting on to other problems in the world has been a primary way to shut Blacks up when they try to talk about their oppression.   " Well what about X, or what about Z"   is, or can be, a way not to take their concerns seriously.   It's called 'whataboutism', and is a common psychological defense used not to accept responsibility.

Yeah.  But, no matter if we address this unclouded, the deaths of the others are going to be dealt with how though? 

I think increased freedom for one group often ends up increasing freedom for other groups. 

Also, there has been lots of activity regarding fighting for Native rights via the oil pipeline struggles up North. I'd be happy to see more disadvantaged groups fight for their rights too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

They should certainly be half the police force, just as they're half the population being "served and protected". I have never bought the argument that women are more emotional than men. It seems to me that they're equally so, but that the emotions that men show are both more dangerous and more acceptable to society.

I think the gender composition of police departments is a much bigger issue than racial composition.

358089040_LAPDDemographics.png.a4b9b0ec6776f30274712c15f09a1392.png

You can see from that chart that the LAPD approximately represents the racial profile of the community it serves.

But...

The LAPD is 80% male while the County is 51% female.

Across the globe, physical violence is a particularly male preoccupation. As in business, law enforcement would work better if more women were involved.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

They should certainly be half the police force, just as they're half the population being "served and protected". I have never bought the argument that women are more emotional than men. It seems to me that they're equally so, but that the emotions that men show are both more dangerous and more acceptable to society.

I agree, I don't think women are more emotional than men -- like you say here, it depends on which emotion you're referring to.

Empathy, though, is not always tied to emotion.  There is cognitive empathy.  Tests have shown that women have more empathy overall, at least the last tests I reviewed.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think increased freedom for one group often ends up increasing freedom for other groups. 

Also, there has been lots of activity regarding fighting for Native rights via the oil pipeline struggles up North. I'd be happy to see more disadvantaged groups fight for their rights too.

Fascism is a scary thing though...a very scary thing.  

What if the out of uniform police officer who beat up my nephew and sister thought he was doing "society a favor"?  Some of fascism is very crazy and very dangerous and it involves and can be directed at all of us at any given time.  My sister did not own a gun and she smoked pot and grew a marijuana plant occasionally.  So, what if in this out of uniform police officer's mind, she was a criminal and so was her son and he thinks he is justified in nearly taking their lives as they are "a criminal" in his mind for smoking pot and he is doing society a favor by taking them "out".   This is something that needs to change.  If it involves change for all, let's surely hope it involves change for all because the police did not have the right to grant themselves qualified immunity as they are not the people, they are the government.  Only, we the people, can enact laws.  This is why fascism is very, very scary.  Fascism could also involve organized crime.  

Listen to the song "Hurricane" by Bob Dylan and Jacques Levy about an innocent black man who served 20 years for crimes he never committed.  The song "Hurricane" is a true story about Rubin "Hurricane" Carter.  He was set up, and the more I listen to the song the more I think the police at that time were almost like organized crime and wonder how much they may be organized crime today?  

It can, at times, be difficult to find some of Bob Dylan's tunes due to so many cover versions of Dylan's songs on Youtube, that's why I am including a link...it's Bob Dylan's Youtube Channel though it's run by other people.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Listen to the song "Hurricane" by Bob Dylan and Jacques Levy about an innocent black man who served 20 years for crimes he never committed.  The song "Hurricane" is a true story about Rubin "Hurricane" Carter.  He was set up, and the more I listen to the song the more I think the police at that time were almost like organized crime and wonder how much they may be organized crime today?  

Nice song. I saw the movie about Rubin Hurricane Carter...it was very moving, sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

Aww, is it hard to accept you’re a racist bigot? It’s okay, take deep breaths.

Well I have to say if this is what the so called BLM movement is suggesting then I will not be supporting it any longer.

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I wouldn't say you are necessarily racist, but we would need to define the term in detail.

No you don't need to define the term. I know what it is and can say with 100% certainty that I am not racist. To be honest, I also don't care whether you or others believe it or not.

But I am sick of those in other countries landing in this forum and trashing BLM, when you really have no idea how Blacks have been the latrine of America for hundreds of years, and so don't really get why there's so much of an upset over what continues to happen to Blacks to this very day.

You see, this is the problem with Americans, you love them but they make it hard some times. They really are in a bubble all on their own and don't understand that we (the rest of the world) learn all about American history in depth in primary school and up as a form of learning WHY racism is wrong. We all know in other countries about your issues with slavery, the cotton farms, their mistreatment, the civil war and Lincoln. We are taught about all the racial issues suffered by Blacks during the early 1900's, the manner in which they were abused and hated upon wanting to attend the same schools as white. We know all about the lady that dared to sit in the front of the bus during segregation trying to force change and MLK, the LA riots etc., or the fact that racism has continued throughout the late 1900's and into today. So yes we do have an idea, understand and know the issues they have faced for hundreds of years.

We are also however taught about other countries such as the issues suffered by the Poles, Ukrainians, Muslim, Hindu, Jews, gypsies, and other ethnic minorities etc. We are taught from early childhood over here and in the rest of the world already about all the issues regarding racism and have been taught that for decades so as to change the way of thought and try to move forward in resolving those issues. WE ARE NOT AMERICA.

That said, I bet you 1L that you never learnt about Australian history in American schools. How the Europeans decimated the native tribes or the cases of slavery. I also bet you weren't taught of the stolen generation or those people that were kind and positive to them. How they were given jobs early on and helped the police force as trackers or how they proudly served in both world wars fighting alongside their fellow WHITE Australian mates.  How they were given back vast swathes of protected land (the biggest in the world) so as they can continue with their culture without interference from anyone else. How they were excluded from the constitution but added in after PEACEFUL protests and the populace acknowledged how wrongly they were treated. Given greater opportunities that the rest of the population along with better healthcare or were apologised to for the wrong doings from the government and the populace. Just like I am sure you aren't aware that Australia was the first to give women the right to vote or one of the first to allow women to work after child birth or one of the first to offer equal opportunities to everyone. America has always and still does focus inwards and not outwards. Hence why you get people like in that video posted above that generalise everyone in one race based on one country without knowing facts about other places in the world. 

The reason why there is so much angst with the BLM movement from other countries is, as mentioned, not only does it segregate one race instead of inclusion of all other races having the same racial issues but it also infects other countries that don't suffer the same issues that America suffers and instigates violence and riots where there are diplomatic and lawful avenues (far greater than offered in America) in place to solve such things. I would be able to find numerous cases in Britain, Australia, France, Germany, anywhere where police treat all races with the same disregard or regard to life not just one select group. But the BLM movement still continues to carry on in those countries as if it was America facing an issue with only one race. With the so called BLM movement in those other countries tagging along for the ride but falling to understand those very countries have also tried to help those issues like police brutality by things like removing guns from police officers in favour of tasers, offering better training ore listening to the populace and making changes they suggest etc.

The first thing an officer in almost any other country goes for in a threatening (non gun related) situation is the non life threatening taser, America however the first thing they go to is the gun. As much as you don't want to hear or believe it your (American) society is broken. While the rest of the world has moved on trying to tackle positively and succeeding in attempting to fix such brutalities or racial issues America stagnates living in yesteryear hoping for change, protesting for change but doing nothing to change it. They also then selectively choose which ally or enemy they are going to support and when and as the "keepers of the free world" ignore issues such as posted by January or leave a trail of decimation in their wake such as in Iraq based on false information just to invade a country.

America has issues, always has and from what the rest of the world has seen is never going to change. But don't you or others dare imply like some above that the rest of the world is against removing racism or are racist because they are simply white. If you want to know why other countries of the world land in this forum trashing BLM movement look no further to the insulting posts by people like Ashlyn Voir and you should get an understanding as to why they feel that way.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

How about the fact that you don't seem to understand that slavery in the United States was an inherently racist system?

Odd, I'm sure I said something to that effect let me see... Oh yes, here it is:

7 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

Was the act of slavery racist? Yes, as only POC were slaves (most white people at the time -and yes some still do - had a superiority complex) and were mistreated etc,

You were saying, its written in black and white in my post you clearly glazed over. I fully acknowledge that the act of slavery was racist. Its hard not to believe or acknowledge that when a select race is removed from their homeland for the SPECIFIC reason to be a slave. What I did also say however was refuting your claim that the south went to war because they were racist. They may have been racist however they went to war to protect the only livelihood they knew, irrespective of how racist that was.

Also find it highly amusing that you suggest with your tone and sentence that slavery was only inherently a racist system in the USA, it was a racist system EVERYWHERE.

EDIT:

Where the romans racists? They had slaves of all races including their own race and treated many of them like their own child. Hence why I said later that the slavery system or servitude isn't necessarily racist, it is entirely based on how it is run.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Nice song. I saw the movie about Rubin Hurricane Carter...it was very moving, sad.

It's an amazing song by Bob Dylan and Jacques Levy and that is The Rolling Thunder Revue playing the instruments in that song.  Never underestimate the power of The Rolling Thunder Revue...lol    Bob talks about his days with The Rolling Thunder Revue in some of his later songs but this particular band and this tour with the song "Hurricane" meant a lot of him.  

I also should say that the song may be dealing with the issue of white organized crime and how truly dangerous it is, though this is what I am reading into it.  I am sure white organized crime still exists in the south and other areas today in it's form of fascism but how to overcome such a power if we don't all deal with it honestly together, I'm not sure, as it's a lot of money and corrupted networks of power to deal with and powers that have granted themselves immunities.  Emotions are high from the pandemic so I need a break for awhile.   I need some time to do something else for awhile.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

Odd, I'm sure I said something to that effect let me see... Oh yes, here it is:

7 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

Please, there is a little more to it than that and whilst I'm not suggesting they weren't racist or condone their treatment of them, they certainly didn't go to war due to racism or racist reasons.

The south went to war over slavery, which is about as racist a reason as one can get. 

10 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

Also find it highly amusing that you suggest with your tone and sentence that slavery was only inherently a racist system in the USA, it was a racist system EVERYWHERE.

I wanted to make sure it was clear I was specifically addressing slavery in the United States so that some confederate apologist wouldn't start throwing a bunch of irrelevant examples up against the wall.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.