A New Look For Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Depending on how dark the theme is... won't do me a bit of good. Unfortunately trying to use the dark theme, for me, just makes me strain my eyes. So this forum's dark theme is unusable for me.

The bright blue causes pain in my eyes, not just "bothers" them.  There are millions of us that have Astigmatism, not just a very small percentage.

Dark theme is bad for me as well.

I don't know what browser you are on, but I have an extension for Chrome called "Click to Remove Element". Firefox has one too, not sure the name.

You can click to remove objects on any site that you don't like and it even remembers after a refresh (if you tell it to).

Unfortunately this one displays the logo for a split second before removing it which gives it the effect of flashing at you (once) which might aggravate things further. 

Anyways, I hope you find a solution.

4 minutes ago, Evah Baxton said:

Dark theme is bad for me as well.

I don't know what browser you are on, but I have an extension for Chrome called "Click to Remove Element". Firefox has one too, not sure the name.

You can click to remove objects on any site that you don't like and it even remembers after a refresh (if you tell it to).

Unfortunately this one displays the logo for a split second before removing it which gives it the effect of flashing at you (once) which might aggravate things further. 

Anyways, I hope you find a solution.

Thanks. I don't use plugins. Sorry.

The only solution would be a cure for Astigmatism.

On 5/22/2020 at 8:11 PM, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I love the new font... the old one was dated and it was def time for a revamp!

I would have liked a black circle and white hand symbol  - but then again I am always very monochrome biased in branding...😁 

the only difference is the color. .. . ..

46 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Apologies you have lost me.
The font, hand drawing, layout are all now different.

As much as I prefer monochrome logos, I think the new one could have worked lovely with the old colours too.   Would have saved them the huge job now of having to do things like change colours all through the website.  E.g. Forum logo in now bright blue, little icons are the old colour.   

If they had kept the old colour:

image.png.a3f0aeb6cddb027555ecc22dc05715ef.png

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Like 3

For what it's worth, nostalgia aside, I think the new logo is a pretty solid upgrade. It stands out more, is more invigorating, and the eye is more clearly visible. Feels more modern, will absolutely appeal to newcomers more.

But quite a few of the backgrounds and banners will have to be changed out to look nicer behind the blue.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

For what it's worth, nostalgia aside, I think the new logo is a pretty solid upgrade. It stands out more, is more invigorating, and the eye is more clearly visible. Feels more modern, will absolutely appeal to newcomers more.

But quite a few of the backgrounds and banners will have to be changed out to look nicer behind the blue.

Quite a few. The mobile views are not good. These are iPad Pro 12.9 views on standard settings.

A8374A12-E83E-44DF-8457-DF6ECCFED9E0.jpeg

7A36684D-4403-4CA7-816D-2F289B771146.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2020 at 3:32 PM, Tari Landar said:

To me, the new logo looks like they asked a kid who is just getting into graphic design to make "your own version of our logo" and went with the first submission made by a child that has only opened paint shop once before, for an art class assignment. 

On 5/24/2020 at 3:32 PM, Tari Landar said:

it LOOKS lazy to me, as if literally no effort was put into it

That's exactly the point i was making. I agree 100%

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

It really isn't. They did change several design features of the hand, ever so subtly, as I and others have shown and commented about. The lettering is also changed, of course.

• Thanks 1

Could someone at a conference table have mentioned redoing the Logo as a way to brighten up things round these parts during a pandemic?  Could the response from leaders have been sure take a stab at it, so long as it doesn't take you more than ten minutes because the support tickets are backed up and we're all booked triple?  Would a ten minute max investment only allow for changing of font and hand logo color?  All possible.  If the update redesign happened in ten minutes away from the other stuff needing attention, this seems a good thing.  Factoring in with the ten minute investment the benefit that a change in logo, even if it is updated slowly, implies visually SL is growing, changing, has a future, and it is *bright*.  

Exact same design but Modern Flat and in generic Modern UI ""dark"" Blue #1 instead of trademarked Linden Green. Ok then.

I do appreciate, that other than the color, its pretty much the same general logo as the original classic logo (not whatever that weird 2010's App Store stylized encircled thing was).

Given the trend of corporate logo redesigns when moving to the offensively-inaccessibility of modern UI designs, I was fully expecting the new SL logo to be completely different by being a generic, meaningless, and "inoffensive", arrangement of basic shapes in two colors, where one of those colors is transparent the other is so neutral that it  compatible (ie. barely works) on either dark theme light dark-gray or light theme dark light-gray backgrounds. Nothing like ruining your brand recognition by making your long standing logo something existing customers can't identify and new or non-customers still can't care about. lol

I'm mostly relieved they settled on "fine, lets just make it blue then."  

• Like 1

It feels so weeeeeird being the subtle changes to the logo. The newer blue definitely does stand out a lot more for sure, it really catches my eye on the webpages when I open them up. Not sure if I love it or hate it, usually I'm a neutral palette kinda gal. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.