The first things I ever bought in SL..........

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

45 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

It was both fun and sad to look at the Marketplace. I found things I have lost or deleted, and got a redelivery. But also so many things I do not have and the store is gone. I can guess very accurate what a "titanium rapier" had to be, but other things I have no idea what it was, and I will never know.

I had something in my inventory called a "Mad Cat" and I once rezzed it, thinking it would be some kind of crazy kitten. It turned out to be a 40-metre tall battle robot. Which you could sit in and drive around. I think I got that from Yadni's.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Picture it! Sicily, 1922. An attractive peasant girl who has saved her lire embarks on a glorious vacation to a Crimean resort on the Black Sea.....  

Kidding- Probably October or November 2009- camping for lindens was still a thing.  So I spent a lot of time doing that.  My favorite spot was supposed to be a recreation of or at least dedicated  to Galveston, Texas.  Made a very good friend there.  But I spent a lot of time there saving up lindens for something but I didn’t what.  

And in the meantime I had discovered the freebie dungeons. Needless to say I was looking pretty fantastic with my spiky punk rocker hair going around barefooted With painted on clothes freebies. (I wasn’t aware at the time that you could buy lindens). 

Eventually one of the friends I had made through the friend I met while linden camping 🏕 took me to a hair shop.  I have a picture in my inventory but can’t get to it.  It was sculpted around the head, parted off into three rows from ear to ear starting at the forehead & then had long flexi hair in back.  I was super proud that I was able to buy it.  It wasn’t for a long time after that I learned you could actually buy lindens.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

I can't remember what the first thing I bought inworld was. Hair? I think? Yeah. It was that one kind of moppy, flexi brown hair that every guy in SL's probably had at one point.

On the MP, my first purchase was a 'Blood Crow' avatar that I no longer remember, is no longer sold, and that I no longer have in my inventory. I do have the second thing that I bought!

https://gyazo.com/614b5f9a3a5d2c73b3fd6020774f1730

This little robot fella. Alphas were still becoming 'a thing' back then. 😛 So much so that the notecard for this avatar started with the line 'THIS PRODUCT IS FULLY FUNCTIONAL ONLY WITH SL VIEWER 2.'

• Like 1

My first acquisitions were in-world through the Freebies4Newbies program, so it's all a blur.  However, I have particular memories of choosing a green dress from DragonLady's Closet (which alas I never had occasion to wear) and agonizing over which Dragon Eyez I wanted (which I still wear, so I made a good choice).

A very nice person took me around to the better freebie boxes, so I spent a few months wearing Tiffany skin, I think.  Having a nude skin made it easier to be confident about other purchases while I looked for *the* skin.

My first Marketplace purchases were five vehicles including a cardboard box flier and Aimee Weber's vintage car.  (Those were good confidence builders.)

Edited by LibGwen
  • Like 1

My first skin in 2007 was from Gala Phoenix, back before she re-branded as Curio, and my first hair was a torus nightmare from Gurl6.  I remember finding the Free Dove and being so excited for decent free stuff, compared with the truly dire rubbish at all the freebie 'warehouses'.  Shy Caramelle skin anyone?!  I also remember some kind soul advising me that my texture only shoes (yes, really!) were a tad dated and they took me to Butterfly Island where I bought a pair of colour change platforms with massive invisiprims.  I was so happy.  Those were genuinely fun days, but we look SOO much better now :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It was both fun and sad to look at the Marketplace. I found things I have lost or deleted, and got a redelivery. But also so many things I do not have and the store is gone. I can guess very accurate what a "titanium rapier" had to be, but other things I have no idea what it was, and I will never know.

Scrolling through my early MP history gets me gasping in disbelief sometimes. Even though its only two years ago I was often just buying prettypretty stuff without any thoughts of demos, or how it would look. So quite a few things were dumped immediately. Although I never spent huge amount back then, not like the FPs and Mega Packs now.

• Like 2

I remember I had very little money left. I think I was on the last 100 from the first purchase. I thought 2500 L was enough and that I did not need to buy more money when I had one good pair of heels and one pair of boots, a decent skin and a few things more.  Like I should never buy more full priced stuff. 🤣

So I was searching stores for freebies and dollarbies, and in one store they were on a wall with ordinary priced things. I was like "Nooooo!" when accidentally I bought a belt for 75 L or something like that. It took most of the money I had left. 😢

So I can relate to people asking for cheap and free items. It did not take long before I bought more Lindens, and I do not dare to think how much I have spent... But I do not spend much on other things in RL, so this is my entertainment money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

Shy Caramelle skin anyone?!  

Oh my God, I remember that one. It wasn't even the worst one out there, although I appreciate that newer people won't believe that. 

43213i022455AE83AC9D88.png

• Haha 1

I don't recall what the first item bought was. I started SL by getting freebies and making my own things. I had amassed a huge inventory of free stuff over several months. I recall getting a $100 linden donation from a kind resident and going on a shopping spree at Yadni's which had these boxes full of things for just a few lindens. 

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I remember I had very little money left. I think I was on the last 100 from the first purchase. I thought 2500 L was enough and that I did not need to buy more money when I had one good pair of heels and one pair of boots, a decent skin and a few things more.  Like I should never buy more full priced stuff. 🤣

So I was searching stores for freebies and dollarbies, and in one store they were on a wall with ordinary priced things. I was like "Nooooo!" when accidentally I bought a belt for 75 L or something like that. It took most of the money I had left. 😢

So I can relate to people asking for cheap and free items. It did not take long before I bought more Lindens, and I do not dare to think how much I have spent... But I do not spend much on other things in RL, so this is my entertainment money.

Obviously one good pair of heels and a pair of boots will cover everything...……….hahahaha….so not real...…...

I too have gone stupid money and y'know, when the Lindens run out.....it's way too easy to bang another wad in the account and spend...……...

I do try to resist but just now its more about poses and animations and body "accessories". Whereas two years ago I might have lashed out on something for say L$300, now...…..it's not often I go below that...………..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.