Future of the metaverse, and all that

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

35 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i agree with Roblox. Zero romance on a underage platform is a good thing

Roblox is trying to attract an older crowd, according to their SEC S-1 filing. So they need to decide what to do. SL has G, M, and A, of course, and used to have the teen grid. Facebook went for legless avatars, and that was a flop. The NFT worlds aren't getting enough users to need governance,. It's not clear how this plays out.

12 minutes ago, animats said:

Roblox is trying to attract an older crowd, according to their SEC S-1 filing. So they need to decide what to do. SL has G, M, and A, of course, and used to have the teen grid. Facebook went for legless avatars, and that was a flop. The NFT worlds aren't getting enough users to need governance,. It's not clear how this plays out.

i think the Roblox idea is that because they have a huge teenage user base already, the idea is to encourage adults to come into a teen/child friendly space, and not for adults to come in and try to turn it into a adult space even if partially

if this works for Roblox then I think they will most likely go to a family-friendly all ages space. If so then schools (junior, middle and senior) will most likely be targeted. Education-oriented discount packaging, etc

Facebook to hire 10,000 in EU to work on metaverse.

Why the EU? Maybe to appease European regulators into not having a "This metaverse uses cookies" popup every time you launch the game.

And Steam have banned games from using NFTs on their platform. Given the timing, it may be to keep the Steamdecks from becoming crypto farming machines in this trend claiming the MMO space.

17 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Not with the present headsets but as the technology advances and they become lighter and better I can certainly see the advantages. When headset/VR Glasses can be powered by a smart phone with speech commands to manipulate inworld, I certainly would be preferring such a setup rather than constant tethering to a desktop and the real estate required for a decent sized monitor. Lumiya viewer on VR is quite nice to show the mobility inherent in such a setup.

Ps, S/L is really not the prime example of a Metaverse. It is after all a closed garden whose economy is based mostly around land sales. They need that to make their money so I really do not see S/L ever developing into what would be defined as a Metaverse.

Do you remember Google Cardboard? Eventually it will become viable when 120Hz screens can comfortably display environments at 120fps, that's a couple of GPU generations away.

The definition of a metaverse is fairly loose right now with even games like Fortnite occupying the category, so could FFXIV and Star Citizen. To me a metaverse begins with its socials features, something I feel Facebook and Epic are overlooking in their definitions, they're focused on delivering experiences and branded content. Second Life is built on a strong set of social features which understands you want to make, and take friends to those experiences. And where SL is profiting from extortionate land pricing, other metaverses will optimize every space for advertising.

For all it delivers (particularly in the adult space), SL has no competition right now.

Edited by Mr Amore
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mr Amore said:

Why the EU? Maybe to appease European regulators into not having a "This metaverse uses cookies" popup every time you launch the game.

That may be a factor but probably not a big one. A metaverse will have to comply to EU's citizen's rights rules no matter where in the real world it is located.

There are several other reasons why EU (I presume it means Ireland btw) is a good location though.

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

How many of them are tax reasons I wonder :P

That may be one reason and it's why I suspect it's Ireland they're looking at. But there are some other reasons too.

Most of Western Europe has access very well developed and stable high speed internet. That's true even for many rural areas and fairly small towns. From what I've been told (I'm not sure about this of course) this is not the case across much of USA. I even heard somebody who moved to Europe from a fairly big U.S. city (Miami) being surprised that there never were any connection dropouts here. This means that operations can be located to areas where the cost of living, and thus the need for higher wages, are lower than in the big cities.

Pretty much everybody in western Europe speak passable English. (Even the French can do it if they really have to. ;)) This means that the language barrier is less of a problem than it would be in equally well developed Asian countries.

There are more people in Europe than in North America and fewer people who are so poor they can't afford to spend time and money on a virtual world. So the potential market is much bigger. Europe is also closer to Asia where most people on earth live.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChinRey said:

There are more people in Europe than in North America and fewer people who are so poor they can't afford to spend time and money on a virtual world. So the potential market is much bigger. Europe is also closer to Asia where most people on earth live.

I don't see that as being part of the reason because the, like the internet, the aim is a completely worldwide system that is used worldwide.

8 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I don't see that as being part of the reason because the, like the internet, the aim is a completely worldwide system that is used worldwide.

Yes but physical distance and proximity to the market are still significant factors.

On 10/19/2021 at 8:59 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Ireland is in the EU, yes.

Just a small, but very important technoicality, the Republic of Ireland is in the EU. Northern Island is a separate country and a member of the United Kindom.

It's happening.

"Donald Trump has announced plans to launch a social media platform called TRUTH Social that will rolled be out early next year."

Are we drifting into an alternate reality where the TruthVerse makes virtual worlds great again.

I've mentioned Star Citizen a couple of times for its immersion factor, this video gives an overview of the game's systems.

FOIP(Face Over IP) is spoken of, where a webcam conveys the player's expression onto their avatar (random clips and camera tests.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mr Amore said:

It's happening.

"Donald Trump has announced plans to launch a social media platform called TRUTH Social that will rolled be out early next year."

Are we drifting into an alternate reality where the TruthVerse makes virtual worlds great again.

Not with this random guy having managed to preregister the donaldtrump handle, lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/18/2021 at 12:41 PM, Mr Amore said:

Honestly, who's supposed to take Facebook Metaverse serious? What's their aim with that? I looked into it and it seems to be all like Wii-style/Rec-Room avatars without legs in a super-family-friendly safe-space where nothing can hurt you... lol

What's the target-audience for this? Virtual meetings? (https://about.fb.com/news/2021/08/introducing-horizon-workrooms-remote-collaboration-reimagined/) Who's going to meet in a serious business environment with leg-less avatars looking like they're straight from a Toys-R-Us shelf, who will hide in a pink fluffy bubble of safety when someone says something controversal to them? And on top of that you'll be observed by big brother facebook who will make sure that you don't violate their "community standards" of appropriate behaviour:

"anyone you interact with can invite an invisible observer from Facebook to come surveil you and your conversations in real-time to make sure you don’t break any rules. The company says this can happen when one user reports another or when other “signals” are detected, such as several players blocking or muting each other in quick succession. Users will not be notified when they’re being watched."

https://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-horizon-privacy-monitoring-moderation/

Mom and dad meeting their kids online? The kids going to enjoy that (not - remember how facebook itself went downwards within the youth community when mom and dad started to be online there every day and comment on their posts).

People meeting their friends online and having a party? I gonna use my phone to call someone and meet in RL. At least there I don't have minions of Zuck observing me when I talk about Sex, Drugs and Rock-n-Roll.

I don't know what world Zuckerberg is living in, but his metaverse is nothing what people want. Kids want edgy VRChat, Minecraft or Fornite, not a family friendly safe space, and adults want - well adult stuff...

Edited by Mongrove Goldblatt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mongrove Goldblatt said:

Honestly, who's supposed to take Facebook Metaverse serious? What's their aim with that?

What's the target-audience for this?

i think the target is the current Facebook users of which there are billions.  To further put targeted adverts into the Facebook users feeds

like a person goes to a rendering of Tahiti, Las Vegas, London, Paris, etc.  get feed adverts from travel agencies, airlines, british pie and beer makers if the person goes into a pub in Metaverse London, Las Vegas hotels,  Tahitian beach holiday resorts, French wine companies, etc etc

person goes to a new housing showcase in Metaverse Homes. Get feed adverts from garden and home suppliers, home insurance companies and so on

person goes to the Metaverse wilderness. Get feed adverts from camping gear suppliers, save the realworld wilderness campaigns, etc

i don't think there will be adverts in Facebook Metaverse itself.  They will rely on the "Network Effect". Facebook Metaverse is free to play. We Facebook want you to stay on our platforms

if there is advertising within the game it will I think come indirectly as giftees/freebies

like get a virtual copy of the latest 2022 Toyota to drive. Get some free virtual clothes for your avatar from the Gap.  Stay on Facebook and get lots more free stuff, not like them other platforms who want you to pay for virtual stuff when e.v.e.r.y.b.o.d.y knows that all the virtual stuffs wants to be free (as it will be promoted by Facebook)

10 hours ago, Mongrove Goldblatt said:

I looked into it and it seems to be all like Wii-style/Rec-Room avatars without legs in a super-family-friendly safe-space where nothing can hurt you... lol

I think 'Horizons' is just a conversation starter, Facebook have said the metaverse is 10 to 15 years away. Their recruitment drive suggests they're building something new which won't be seen until 2030+

3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i think the target is the current Facebook users of which there are billions.  To further put targeted adverts into the Facebook users feeds

like a person goes to a rendering of Tahiti, Las Vegas, London, Paris, etc.  get feed adverts from travel agencies, airlines, british pie and beer makers if the person goes into a pub in Metaverse London, Las Vegas hotels,  Tahitian beach holiday resorts, French wine companies, etc etc

person goes to a new housing showcase in Metaverse Homes. Get feed adverts from garden and home suppliers, home insurance companies and so on

person goes to the Metaverse wilderness. Get feed adverts from camping gear suppliers, save the realworld wilderness campaigns, etc

i don't think there will be adverts in Facebook Metaverse itself.  They will rely on the "Network Effect". Facebook Metaverse is free to play. We Facebook want you to stay on our platforms

if there is advertising within the game it will I think come indirectly as giftees/freebies

like get a virtual copy of the latest 2022 Toyota to drive. Get some free virtual clothes for your avatar from the Gap.  Stay on Facebook and get lots more free stuff, not like them other platforms who want you to pay for virtual stuff when e.v.e.r.y.b.o.d.y knows that all the virtual stuffs wants to be free (as it will be promoted by Facebook)

So, no advertising of pants, shoes, socks, underpants, skateboards, skis, bicycles, motorcycles, footballs . . .

• Haha 1

For the past two years, the Unreal Engine marketplace has been giving away free assets every month.

It's usually a collection of five assets, go to Free > Free For The Month and 'buy' them.

Payment information is not required to create an account. It's good for anyone with even a passing interest in game dev or modelling, some of the assets can be used outside of Unreal Engine too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.