Future of the metaverse, and all that

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

57 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

So, no advertising of pants, shoes, socks, underpants, skateboards, skis, bicycles, motorcycles, footballs . . .

given the massive success of the Legless Metaverse then nah! Oh! wait

given the amount of money and people resources they are going to throw at it then anything is possible but I think they pretty much will start over again with legs. Mr Zuckerberg is quite serious about The Metaverse being the next big thing

the only other big company that could crush Facebook Metaverse in its infancy would be Google, if they ever got serious about Google Earth. Real world shopping, concerts, travel, stay in a hotel, go to sports events on your screen in 3D. Can't travel to the World Cup then click here for $20, and will put you in in any seat you want in the stadium to watch the final. And able to switch to any live feed camera that you want, open a replay window, hear the live commentary, hear the crowd in attendance

other thing is could even live in your own real world home virtually with Google Earth. Go to the park down the road from your house, have a picnic, turn the sun on

is kinda intriguing what a Virtual Earth could be, in the most ordinary of ways

• Like 1

i just add another thought about ordinary

Second Life has proofed ordinary again. Bellissaria. Home making

It doesn't get more ordinary than this. We look at the World Map and Bellissaria is huge and its occupied. People are paying for this most ordinary of things

i met a lady a couple of weeks ago inworld. She has 11 Premium accounts now. I was like: What for!! And she says I can't help myself. I only ever one account before. Is all Patch Linden's fault. He gets me. This lady is an outlier for sure. But is a heaps of people now with more than one Premium account because they just like making comfortable little homes and gardens, with nice clothes on

1 hour ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

This begs the question, how man people can one attempt to be at the same time before one goes doolally?

Well, there are those with DID (dissociative identity disorder, formerly known as multiple personality disorder) who have upwards of 300 personalities.  So I'd say we have quite the potential in our complex minds.

3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

the only other big company that could crush Facebook Metaverse in its infancy would be Google, if they ever got serious about Google Earth. Real world shopping, concerts, travel, stay in a hotel, go to sports events on your screen in 3D. Can't travel to the World Cup then click here for $20, and will put you in in any seat you want in the stadium to watch the final. And able to switch to any live feed camera that you want, open a replay window, hear the live commentary, hear the crowd in attendance

I love walking along the roads of the world in VR using a Google Earth application. How much more fun if one could do all the rest you've cited!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

For shopping, I think Amazon is more likely to run the metaverse than Google. While Google Earth could maybe be expanded to present you with a virtual version of a RL shopping mall, the inventory management would be an insuperable challenge. But Amazon knows where all of its millions of products are, which are in stock, and so on.

Having an avatar with your RL sizes would be great, too. You could try on things and see how they fit, instead of guessing as you have to do with current online shopping.

Or take it another step, into on-demand manufacturing. Your clothes are made to order in an automated factory, to your exact measurements, and shipped to your door. You never have to leave your home.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I don't think the Metaverse will still be the buzz word of the year next year.
It will be on the pile "Yesterdays news" soon IMHO.
The vast majority of the people isn't waiting for this stuff.

I think it will likely start with augmented reality, when technology is sufficient enough to display an image on eye glasses comfortably, which is imposed onto reality we will start to see new universal standards start to develop, those standards will probably later be considered the metaverse in its infancy.  

It is sure to be kind of annoying though, imagine walking down your grocery store with a ton of images super imposed over shopping aisles, all advertisements based upon your purchase history.  Some aspects of it will be nice though, such as GPS when driving, a highlighted lane you should remain in, an arrow pointing to the road you need to turn at which gets larger as you get closer.  For repairs it would be nice, such as fixing a refrigerator it would show you where each piece goes.

The buzzword itself will likely lose momentum though, this is not something that is going to just fall out of the sky overnight.  It will likely start small, as with the Internet.  Standards will be developed and overtime a universal layer over the Internet which represents augmented reality will essentially form into what we consider a metaverse, from there full VR worlds will mesh into it all.

Such glasses will eventually make smart phones obsolete I imagine, so on the plus side we will not be seeing people staring at their phones while driving, or pedestrians crossing traffic oblivious to the cars around them.  Going further into the future, perhaps contact lenses that display the images, and eventually outright implants.

My guess is that it will be around sometime in most of our lifetimes.  Ultimately, the metaverse is going to be a set of standards that we use, it will be like the web, not really owned by anyone but used to create augmented and virtual worlds and traverse them with.

Edited by Istelathis

49 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I don't think the Metaverse will still be the buzz word of the year next year.
It will be on the pile "Yesterdays news" soon IMHO.
The vast majority of the people isn't waiting for this stuff.

Poor public perception and reactions to the "Metaverse" is a marketing problem that doesn't need any effort to address. The intent is to make living without the Metaverse (whatever that is) akin to living without internet access.

Big tech is going all in because it (whatever it is) will be mandatory and baked into everything by default, it will be a bare minimum requirement .. just like getting "online".

Do not make the mistake that the Metaverse is some virtual world platform, it's a reframing of the entire internet and brand integration.

The Metaverse is The Internet V2, this time imagined by marketers and capitalism rather than computer scientists and programmers.

By the time they are done, you will already be using it, spending money on it, putting your life though it and consuming content from it. You don't have to like the branding.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

don't think the Metaverse will still be the buzz word of the year next year.

Nods. Kinda like "information super highway".

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

I think it will likely start with augmented reality,

Me too. That would have general appeal and would drive hardware sales.

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

Such glasses will eventually make smart phones obsolete I imagine

Probably not. I imagine the display thingy to be paired with a phone, which you still might need as an input/output device.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Nods. Kinda like "information super highway".

I thought the interweb was a series of pipes, or tubes.  Like Mario's games!

A highway sounds much more awesome!  So long as the infrastructure is someone else's problem, and everyone has access to the same speeds.

This picture sums up the metaverse perfectly.

eeBf9AL.jpg

It's not that this is a video game with seemingly random unconnected brands.

It's that brands no longer need to stay in their lane. Put everything in everything else. Everywhere. Make money from the brands, anywhere, everywhere. Expose people to new brands by mixing them in with brands they already like or associate/identify with.

The metaverse is a marketers ideological wet dream.

If you don't find the "Metaverse" brand itself appealing, don't worry, because it isn't for you. It's for investors, and has nothing at all to do with virtual reality .. but if people think that, then that's fine too .. even if they hate it, also fine.

Breaking down the walled gardens between brands is the first step, maybe it all ends in Ready Player One, maybe it all ends in Daffy Duck Auto Insurance from GIECO included with your new Capt Crunch air conditioner.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Wow, Coffee, I'm beginning to wish for that meteor strike.

You know we're on the garbage timeline.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

If the consumers don't like it, it will be dead in the water, no matter what the money wants.
The list of marketing failures is endless.
Don't underestimate the audience.

You're missing the point. You don't have to like it. This is the world that's being built.

You do like some brands already. Everything you consume is a brand. You are online. You are tracked and analyzed. Job done, welcome to the Metaverse.

Expect to see more "brand you like" attached to "thing you need" perhaps with a bit of "brand you didn't know about" making a cameo. Why is my favorite tea in with this Lord Vader WD40 .. because you're a good consumer.

The movie industry has shown us how this goes .. or hadn't you noticed there are fewer new franchises and stories and characters, it's all recycled nostalgia and super heroes .. some of which have been around long enough they're up for a reboot.

Consumers not liking the state of cinema isn't affecting cinema, if anything it reinforces studio desire to mitigate and reduce risk .. by doing even more of the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"You'll eat it, and you'll like it! So just eat!"

How come you're always such a fussy young man?
Don't want no Captain Crunch, don't want no Raisin Bran
Well, don't you know that other kids are starving in Japan?
So eat it, just eat it
Don't wanna argue, I don't wanna debate
Don't wanna hear about what kind of food you hate
You won't get no dessert 'till you clean off your plate
So eat it
Don't you tell me you're full

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

In some parts of the world data protection and consumer protection is a thingy.
Guess why?
Their citizens (who cast their votes every now and then) demand such protection.

Goes to YouTube to play the Patti Smith song, People Have The Power   :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

In some parts of the world data protection and consumer protection is a thingy.
Guess why?
Their citizens (who cast their votes every now and then) demand such protection.

We ain't got no

Real protection 

But I try

And I try

And I try try-tr-try try try

We ain't got no!

Real protection!

28 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

How come you're always such a fussy young man?
Don't want no Captain Crunch, don't want no Raisin Bran
Well, don't you know that other kids are starving in Japan?
So eat it, just eat it
Don't wanna argue, I don't wanna debate
Don't wanna hear about what kind of food you hate
You won't get no dessert 'till you clean off your plate
So eat it
Don't you tell me you're full

That's..Weird!

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

If the consumers don't like it, it will be dead in the water, no matter what the money wants.
The list of marketing failures is endless.
Don't underestimate the audience.

That seems to be happening. The buzz is way down in the US.

metaversetrend.thumb.png.83968cf0204693aeba67f24dd57c25c8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.