Future of the metaverse, and all that

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I'm hoping that not having places for sex wasn't coming through on my post.  I absolutely think there should be all parts of life represented in the metaverse but I'm not convinced the protections that we have in SL will be acceptable by today's society en masse.

If I am being honest ... In my own opinion? society needs to grow the heck up already. Second Life's protections are well more than enough - especially if people actually do their jobs when parenting.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Well, I didn't expect that to turn to insults so quickly.  Getting kinda sick of people who seem to think their "world views" are "better than mine" but they have to resort to insults to bolster them up.

It's regrettable that you feel insulted when none was offered. I wish you the best with your life in all its forms.

Just now, Solar Legion said:

If I am being honest ... In my own opinion? society needs to grow the heck up already. Second Life's protections are well more than enough - especially if people actually do their jobs when parenting.

I could certainly live in that world quite happily but if that's what's required to make the metaverse work then I think we are a long way off.

3 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

So what I'm reading from the room is the belief that the an ideal metaverse just isn't viable until a social revolution happens.  That's a valid point of view.  So are we sticking a fork in it for now?  It seems done to me or is there more to it?

The social revolution happened sixty years ago (or alternately, one-hundred and forty years ago, or xxxx ad nauseum) and the counter-revolution has been razing a trail through this world ever since. 

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:

So what I'm reading from the room is the belief that the an ideal metaverse just isn't viable until a social revolution happens.  That's a valid point of view.  So are we sticking a fork in it for now?  It seems done to me or is there more to it?

Personally..I think a "viable metaverse" will look kind of like the Internet does today.  Everything, all the time, even things you don't want. Some of the new players are trying to make a "safer" metaverse. Hah! Good luck with that.

If I can't find [fill in the blank] in my metaverse, I won't go.  I'll just find my [fill in the blank] jollies on the Internet.  Or, oh wait! I heard Second Life has [fill in the blank]! I'll go get my jollies there!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brightstar7777 said:

The social revolution happened sixty years ago (or alternately, one-hundred and forty years ago, or xxxx ad nauseum) and the counter-revolution has been razing a trail through this world ever since. 

The pendulum will always swing, pendulously, like giant thingies (pick your poison). Just don't be under the giant thingies when the pendulous pendulum passes over your head! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The pendulum will always swing, pendulously, like giant thingies (pick your poison). Just don't be under the giant thingies when the pendulous pendulum passes over your head! 

This bizarre unending time-bending war is why we need a contingency backup reality to flee to. Thank goodness options exist.

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is like Matrix! Always hoping it is time for us "biological batteries" to win, "mechs" can win next time.

Though keep in mind that most life in the omniverse is non-biological, and all forms of life are valid; we're all sparks of life so similar that we're portable between worlds and forms of reality...

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Brightstar7777 said:

Though keep in mind that most life in the omniverse is non-biological, and all forms of life are valid; we're all sparks of life so similar that we're portable between worlds and forms of reality...

Omniverse? First the metaverse now this..

Carl Sagan should be spinning in his grave. The Cosmos gets no respect.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Omniverse? First the metaverse now this..

Carl Sagan should be spinning in his grave. The Cosmos gets no respect.

No, he's probably delighted, wherever he may be these days. Same for Hawking, no doubt.

In the past decade an extraordinary claim has captivated cosmologists: that the expanding universe we see around us is not the only one; that billions of other universes are out there, too. There is not one universe—there is a multiverse.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-the-multiverse-may-be-the-most-dangerous-idea-in-physics/

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Yeah ... no, it wasn't. The "metaverse" doesn't exist yet, thus no "future" to be discussed for it. Nothing more than a bag of ideologies being tossed around.

Is that similar to the expression, "all that and a bag of chips"? (Ok ok, "crisps" for you heathens.)

Or, using ST:TOS references, "UGLY BAGS OF MOSTLY WATER"!

ETA: Or more like "The Man Who Would Be King" with Michael Caine, where the bags were used as soccer balls containing..their heads!!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

33 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How do you do this, when everyone works from home, and all the digital assets are in the cloud on Amazon servers?

Wasn't it once unthinkable that the great libraries and institutions of the world could burn? I suppose to many it's unthinkable that the lights might go out and not come back on, or that the economics of cloud storage might change, but you don't have to be a dystopian futurist to see the dangers of digital storage and of centralization even without weapons proliferation and global destabilization. Everything is so precarious and taken for granted, yet if people got up and simply walked away from maintaining technological networks for any reason, how much of it would even survive a generation much less into deep posterity? 

If something disrupted the supply chain upon which all this depends, the brave new economics alone could push a lot of data out of the cloud where it might become fragmentary and obscure, lost to culture. Does this sound like wild science fiction? Not if you know history.

Fortunately the true meta itself doesn't run on electricity or require material infrastructure. Still, it seems to require people to be mindfully connected with their own nature, and I can tell you it's possible to stumble around in the darkness all your life and not know, even if seemingly everyone around you does, if the culture isn't there and open. Life in this culture is like living in a household where the parents starve and abuse the children in the name of ideology, but what parent can profit long term from raising their children in austerity and selling them into slavery?

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brightstar7777 said:

This seems like a narrow view that excludes a lot of possibilities, as in the vast majority of them. There is more to life than limited virtual recreation of physical intimacy. What about energy and connection, or being in sync with larger things, or appreciating wonderful worlds and the new life and possibilities that they contain? Reducing it all to a nightclub, brothel, or suburb is so specific and strange because it's as if it seeks to exclude the magick that makes everything worthwhile. To us, it strands out as obviously incomplete even if you aren't ace, non-human, or determined to realize the potential of a limitless realm of imagination rather than digitally recreate a facsimile of older tropes. Why clip your own wings and tail and ignore the implications of our formlessness? Higher dimensional life is about so much more than virtualizing the same old tropes in degraded form. That's not visionary or compelling to the psyche. Beyond all this, wasn't Second Life always an allegory for something higher involving agents and avatars and worlds? Wasn't it in fact modelled after something? This is a big story, and this is one of the seeds or triggers and gateways to higher realization accessible to anyone, intrinsic to life in all forms.

I'm not denying that worlds will spring up without a version of simulated intimacy, I'm suggesting that that sort of world and interaction will also be needed, and remarkably popular. Having been in the business of knowing human psychology to sell you things you don't need, and triggering ways to addict you to things like an app, for three decades, the old adage "sex sells" has never ever gone out of fashion. And sex does not mean human bodies ... people in my profession use shapes, colours, textures, and even sounds to manipulate your physical responses.

I'm not reducing this metaverse (which I don't see happening anyway in the way the evangelists do) to a nightclub or brothel, I'm saying they'll have to be there for any one world to dominate, hence a series of connected an unique experiences that you can seamlessly move between. Sexually-focussed metaverses being one of them. And I'd bet a lot of money those ones will be very very popular.

And re: tropes? We're human beings with remarkable brief lives who are biological organisms driven by our genetic code to reproduce, partly (largely?) influenced by said tropes. When we evolve to not do the whole war and ignoring people who don't look like us dying of hunger thing, then we can talk about tropes not being influencers. We love tropes because they are familiar and safe.

Magic is in your head. It's a chemical, electrical, and neurophysical process. Formless is hard for the majority of the world to "get" because, well, eeking out a living on $2/day is hard. This true meta you're talking about ceases to exist the moment your brain stops functioning. We're merely a brief flash of light between two eternities of darkness and non-existance, that's what makes existing "magic".

I'm not even sure we're not saying the same thing, so I'll withdraw at this point, except to reiterate that the general, over-the-top thinking about this grand "metaverse" thing is pure snake oil.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.