Jump to content

Legacy bodies. Yay or Nay?


Mousy Littlepaws
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Yayayay lol

So i already own legacy and so for the half price of 2500 i decided to get perky as well ...why not right. .. though the last month or so ive been playing and wearing my freya body. .. so the sudden switch from something big and curvy to itty bitty was.. new..lol.. i have to say the body is just lovely. Easy to use, shapes ready to wear and its Bom..with one click in the hud. .. i cant find any faults..and its all my legacy clothes.. i havent had a single top not fit me just because of small chest.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I caved and bought the original Legacy when there was a mild discount (should have waited for Black Friday).  

The shape of the original Legacy bodies (normal and pregnancy) are lovely.  Legacy has a much fuller bust with a more natural shape than Maitreya, the nipples don't point up to your teeth like some other bodies and with good physics, they drape really beautifully.  It looks better, to my taste, but especially so at the high and low ends of the spectrum.  

The Perky is, I think, actually more comparable to Maitreya's shape, but much prettier at the larger numbers than Maitreya.  And they did a great job with getting creators on board to make content for the Perky, so it's a much easier time dressing it, though you may want to wear less.  

So, PROS:

  1. Looks
  2. Alpha Cuts.  Although not apparent on the HUD, they really are superior to many bodies and you can have more precise fits if your clothing does not come with an alpha.
  3. Deformers.  You can still wear a lot of your old clothing with it, made for other bodies, using the included deformers.  HOWEVER you will not be able to salvage everything.  The middle of the chest may stick out from some clothing designed for Maitreya.  Shoe compatibility is not an issue.  
  4. Included skins.  It comes with a wide array of included skins and they are pretty lovely, in a decent, inclusive skin tone range.  
  5. The Advanced Materials Editor.  You can drop your own textures onto the Material Editor hud and tint, full bright, glow and adjust transparency.  It's not bad but could use some more functionality since bump and shine really only apply to the non-BOM skin layer. 

CONS:

  1. Price.  Is it worth double the existing bodies?  Maybe, maybe not, but it's definitely something that gives most people pause.
  2. Slow HUD.  Sometimes the responsiveness between the HUD and the Body is slow. 
  3. No Omega compatibility.  Unfortunately, unless that clothing/tat/makeup came with system layers, your Omega appliers are useless at this time, and for the foreseeable future.  They like to lie to people and say Omega is dead and give technical mumbojumbo as to why they can't (although for the actual base layer, they can't), but Omega still has uses and they COULD make Omega available for the clothing layers the same way Niramyth does for the Aesthetic since their clothing layers are SL UV compliant.  They just choose not to.  Or, rather, I'm told that it's not high on their priority list.  I think they're just waiting for Omega to die but that is not happening any time soon.  If you need Omega compatibility, pass.
  4. Wonkiness.  Sometimes you get weird errors like stack heap errors or the body just stops responding to the HUD.  You will find yourself refreshing attachments or relogging more than you ever imagined that you would with any other body.

CAVEATS:

The HUD is still networked so your old purchases under the TMP system, if you had any, are still available in your HUD.  But if you don't need those items or once they are applied to your body, you will not need to wear the HUD any longer for them to show up.  Newer appliers do not save (or do not save exclusively) to their servers, they will apply directly to your body like any other body. 

 

Overall: It's a nice body.  Very beautiful, and the alpha cuts are really good.  HUD could use some improvement but it's not a showstopper.  For the price, however, I wish it didn't glitch as often as it does.  It's best bought at a deep discount.  And that's my impression.  Good luck.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Cristalle Karami said:

Deformers.  You can still wear a lot of your old clothing with it, made for other bodies, using the included deformers.  HOWEVER you will not be able to salvage everything.  The middle of the chest may stick out from some clothing designed for Maitreya.  Shoe compatibility is not an issue.  

This is one thing that gets me.  They have the slogan: upgrade your body, not your wardrobe."  So I pay double the price and use the deformers to look like my old body?  Why?  Why not spend 5% of that cost to get a deformer that makes Maitreya look like Legacy?

Too me it comes down to a major expense for what is at best a side-grade.  I want the best and I will pay for the best but there are better choices out there.  That's just my opinion tho. 

 

I do have Legacy for my male, tho.  Love it.  Too me,  Legacy(m) is the best looking and easiest to use of the male bodies. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

This is one thing that gets me.  They have the slogan: upgrade your body, not your wardrobe."  So I pay double the price and use the deformers to look like my old body?  Why?  Why not spend 5% of that cost to get a deformer that makes Maitreya look like Legacy?

Too me it comes down to a major expense for what is at best a side-grade.  I want the best and I will pay for the best but there are better choices out there.  That's just my opinion tho. 

I pointed this out in the other older thread. I’m thinking the only reason you’d want to use the deformers is to wear old clothing for Maitreya that are pre legacy, since very few creators are going to go back and rig for it on their older clothing. At that point, it’s probably better just to have a Maitreya body saved just for those occasions and to just wear that. But if you’re doing that...why wear a legacy? 
 

whispers New and shiny....

You could argue it’s an upgrade for hourglass and Freya, for reasons, but you’d go back to not being able to wear your older clothes, this time with no deformers so you have to switch back and forth.

I do have the body, if anyone is wondering. The only thing I can really say is an upgrade are the breasts. They are very natural looking, maybe the best out of all of the bodies. Everything else...sidegrade.
 

The hud is pretty slick, similar to Belleza’s. So not really an upgrade there. Then you have to knock off points when the server for the hud doesn’t work (which does happen), then you’re stuck. 
 

There are fine cracks in the body too. If you’re the type of person that can’t unsee a neck seam, you’ll definitely notice this.

Its a nice body, just errr, it’s not the end all like people are trying to make it seem. Sidegrade is the most succinct way of describing it.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

This is one thing that gets me.  They have the slogan: upgrade your body, not your wardrobe."  So I pay double the price and use the deformers to look like my old body?  Why?  Why not spend 5% of that cost to get a deformer that makes Maitreya look like Legacy?

Too me it comes down to a major expense for what is at best a side-grade.  I want the best and I will pay for the best but there are better choices out there.  That's just my opinion tho. 

 

I do have Legacy for my male, tho.  Love it.  Too me,  Legacy(m) is the best looking and easiest to use of the male bodies. 

 

 

Side-grade is fair, mostly.  Breasts really are an upgrade, like Janet said.  The alpha cuts are also an upgrade versus Maitreya.  I wouldn't call it an end-all be-all like some people have said.  

I make liberal use of the deformers because I won't be able to get upgrades to most of my old clothes.  It helps me in the transition as I build my wardrobe going forward for Legacy compatible clothing.  I like this body, I want to wear this body.  But I can't upgrade everything at once.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, janetosilio said:

There are fine cracks in the body too. If you’re the type of person that can’t unsee a neck seam, you’ll definitely notice this.

Its a nice body, just errr, it’s not the end all like people are trying to make it seem. Sidegrade is the most succinct way of describing it.

This started showing up with Maitreya, too.  It only occurs at high altitudes, when the rounding numbers are jacked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do have both the legacy and perky.  I do like them both, mostly because I can change the size of the feet (I run around SL with no shoes or boots)  and I just like the shape of it.  I do have Maitreya and also Belleza and I like both of these bodies as well.

As for the neck seam, I think it might a bit more obvious on the Legacy, but I still get seams from any body, just depends too on what windlights I use.  I wear chokers already so for me it is not really an issue.

I don't use the deformers because I like wearing clothes that are made for Legacy.  Using the deformer changes my shape and I don't want that.  However, this is just my preference and I am just speaking for me here and not expecting anyone else to think the same way.

I think all the mesh bodies have their pros and cons.  It really boils down to what body has the most pros for you and how much you want to spend.  Best thing is to demo, demo, demo and research some of these threads about Legacy.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But whats really wrong with having new and shiney simply because you can..? I mean.. i had/have matreya when i first came to SL for the first time last year.. i didnt "need" the freya body, or the legacy body.. i just like them.. and i think the legacy posters, adverts ect.. does exactly what it wanted.. to pull people in .. much like media does in RT.. they "want you to want it" .. and some people fall victim to that, including myself.. i didnt "need" legacy.. and I didnt "need" perky.. but am I happy i got them? Hell yeah.. i love my perky body. 

 

And also, lol.. those that are saying they havent seen many people with the legacy body.. go to Scandalize on a sale day or new lucky boards.. lootttts of legacy users.. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/2/2020 at 11:48 AM, janetosilio said:

I do have the body, if anyone is wondering. The only thing I can really say is an upgrade are the breasts. They are very natural looking, maybe the best out of all of the bodies. Everything else...sidegrade.

Belleza's look better IMO, but it's close. And if you feel that close goes the other way... then is it really worth the added hassles and costs to go with TMP's other nightmares...?

For 1500-L you can get Regalia which comes as a pack of bodies - one of them is shaped like Legacy, one like Freya, one like Maitreya, one like Slink-HG, and more I have yet to suss out because they don't name them for what they're matches to, but for how they felt each looked - but you will have furry feet and the UV-map is different... I'm just obsessed with it because it's copy/mod, low lag, and lets me wear any brand of clothes when in furry form... 😛

The HUD system of Legacy seems purposefully designed to be hostile to end-users... and their store is basically designed to feel like you're being slapped in the eyeballs 30x-second...

 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd never recommend anything from TMP, not when their servers could shut down at any minute, and not after seeing how they handle the rest of their business. Go with Belleza or Slink if you want curves, Maitreya if you want popular. 

At least with them, their products will continue to work as is, long after they're gone for a fraction of the price. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2020 at 3:07 AM, Gadget Portal said:

I'd never recommend anything from TMP, not when their servers could shut down at any minute, and not after seeing how they handle the rest of their business. Go with Belleza or Slink if you want curves, Maitreya if you want popular. 

At least with them, their products will continue to work as is, long after they're gone for a fraction of the price. 

Yea I've heard some questionable things about TMP. Thank you! I have a Maitreya but due to all the hype, I was curious about Legacy haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...
On 3/10/2020 at 12:55 AM, xBaeBeex said:

Yayayay lol

So i already own legacy and so for the half price of 2500 i decided to get perky as well ...why not right. .. though the last month or so ive been playing and wearing my freya body. .. so the sudden switch from something big and curvy to itty bitty was.. new..lol.. i have to say the body is just lovely. Easy to use, shapes ready to wear and its Bom..with one click in the hud. .. i cant find any faults..and its all my legacy clothes.. i havent had a single top not fit me just because of small chest.

Hi there,

I am just in the demo stage of the Legacy body as I've always used Maitreya. I want to switch because I want a full figured avi without going Kupra. Do you know if there is information on Deformers? I've no idea what they are or how to use them. Also which stores do you shop for clothing that are Legacy friendly?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MsAfrodite said:

Hi there,

I am just in the demo stage of the Legacy body as I've always used Maitreya. I want to switch because I want a full figured avi without going Kupra. Do you know if there is information on Deformers? I've no idea what they are or how to use them. Also which stores do you shop for clothing that are Legacy friendly?

Deformers are a supersekrit. I'm not joking either, very few people know how to make them. I'm guessing its an object rigged with the bones moved slightly, but that's a guess. In any event, you just simply wear them and boom it does what it says on the tin. Some of them have options that range from subtle to 'why did you do that to yourself'. There are a lot of them at this point, they're also called "enhancers". You can do a search on MP for them, they're usually for the butt, breasts and some make your avatar 'flatter' which, if you have your dials cranked up to 100, helps you not look like they're at 100.

Be aware! They can break some mesh clothing. Some people wear so many of them, a lot of clothing won't fit properly because they've drastically altered their skeleton, its like they're wearing a different body.

As far as clothing, most brands support Legacy. So you shouldn't have too much trouble finding clothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Deformers are a supersekrit. I'm not joking either, very few people know how to make them. I'm guessing its an object rigged with the bones moved slightly, but that's a guess. In any event, you just simply wear them and boom it does what it says on the tin. Some of them have options that range from subtle to 'why did you do that to yourself'. There are a lot of them at this point, they're also called "enhancers". You can do a search on MP for them, they're usually for the butt, breasts and some make your avatar 'flatter' which, if you have your dials cranked up to 100, helps you not look like they're at 100.

Be aware! They can break some mesh clothing. Some people wear so many of them, a lot of clothing won't fit properly because they've drastically altered their skeleton, its like they're wearing a different body.

As far as clothing, most brands support Legacy. So you shouldn't have too much trouble finding clothing.

Basically, deformers are exaggerated animations! There's a decent summary on the old forums. http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/52/7e/333435/1.html

I'm mainly sharing that tidbit because I dislike the idea of secret knowledge (especially since it's common on the furry side of SL), so do feel free to play around with it yourself.

The Legacy "deformers" however are not deformers in that sense. They're just different mesh attachments made to look like the Maitreya body.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

Basically, deformers are exaggerated animations! There's a decent summary on the old forums. http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/52/7e/333435/1.html

I'm mainly sharing that tidbit because I dislike the idea of secret knowledge (especially since it's common on the furry side of SL), so do feel free to play around with it yourself.

The Legacy "deformers" however are not deformers in that sense. They're just different mesh attachments made to look like the Maitreya body.

Ouuuuuu! Good to know! Thank you!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MsAfrodite said:

Hi there,

I am just in the demo stage of the Legacy body as I've always used Maitreya. I want to switch because I want a full figured avi without going Kupra. Do you know if there is information on Deformers? I've no idea what they are or how to use them. Also which stores do you shop for clothing that are Legacy friendly?

After a lot of tries and finger crossing, I actually won a Legacy body lol. I won the Perky version. In my experience, you can make the body curvy without looking "odd". It's been a few months and I'm loving it. Occasionally I do go back to Maitreya depending on the clothes I want to wear. So far so good!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My biggest gripe over Legacy(other than the price; but I got it 50% off), is the scripts weight. It's something around double the scripts of Maitreya, so I find myself veeeery easily reaching 5MB with it. Maitreya I find it pretty easy to stay under 3. If I see people at events walking by me, and they start rubberbanding a bit, I get horrible anxiety lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RitaCallisto said:

My biggest gripe over Legacy(other than the price; but I got it 50% off), is the scripts weight. It's something around double the scripts of Maitreya, so I find myself veeeery easily reaching 5MB with it. Maitreya I find it pretty easy to stay under 3. If I see people at events walking by me, and they start rubberbanding a bit, I get horrible anxiety lol

It's also higher polygon count. By an amount that basically shocked me.

 

This is the demo, so subtract some small amount, a few hundred or so, for some signs it rezzes around you.

The Legacy body is 246,172 "triangles" (polygons more or less).

The feet are 406,536 triangles - Holy freak that's lag.

The hands are 193,264 triangles.

TOTAL: 845972

- At that range we are in uncharted "Holy Expletives Batman!" territories of lag.

 

The ENTIRE Belleza body is 521287 triangles. Belleza was the queen of lag before Legacy said "hold my polygons, I got this, let me kill your SL for you.").

The ENTIRE Maitreya body (includes hands and feet) is 176,297 triangles.

There is a furry body that can wear all clothes made for all 3 of thoese bodies (it's a pack of bodies, and one of them works for each of the above). The Belleza fit for that is 33,736 triangles. On a fraction of the lag, they manage the exact same animation and shape responsiveness.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have Legacy and very much like the overall look of the body. I like a curvy shape so I am generally in Freya, Legacy or Kupra. The Kupra Kups mesh is very nice as well. Have you taken a look at Kahlene? Lots of bang for your linden dollar and lots of choices for breasts from huge to flat and also designer to accommodate the Transgender population.

https://digitalregeneration.com/inithium-kupra-kups-the-mesh-directory/

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/229325

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Kalhene-ANYA-BENTO-fitted-mesh-bodyHead-v40/19973384?lang=en-US

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

It's also higher polygon count. By an amount that basically shocked me.

 

This is the demo, so subtract some small amount, a few hundred or so, for some signs it rezzes around you.

The Legacy body is 246,172 "triangles" (polygons more or less).

The feet are 406,536 triangles - Holy freak that's lag.

The hands are 193,264 triangles.

TOTAL: 845972

- At that range we are in uncharted "Holy Expletives Batman!" territories of lag.

 

The ENTIRE Belleza body is 521287 triangles. Belleza was the queen of lag before Legacy said "hold my polygons, I got this, let me kill your SL for you.").

The ENTIRE Maitreya body (includes hands and feet) is 176,297 triangles.

There is a furry body that can wear all clothes made for all 3 of thoese bodies (it's a pack of bodies, and one of them works for each of the above). The Belleza fit for that is 33,736 triangles. On a fraction of the lag, they manage the exact same animation and shape responsiveness.

 

Ain't that the truth. I've love to actually wear the Legacy (the shape *is* pretty fantastic) but I know for sure if too many people wear it around me I'll just have to start derendering to retain any acceptable FPS. Which means others will just derender me in turn, and thus all those extra smooth curves go wasted. :(

Desperately needs some kind of optimization. I bet it'd still look perfect with the polycount halved, or maybe quartered.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know WTF is going on with those feet...

But much of the lag of bodies like this can be handled by doing what Maitreya did. Remove all the onion layers - put some of them as optional wearables, and then make the base body BOM.

Ideally... don't do that. Instead hire the maker of Regalia to make a new version of your body that is only 30,000 triangles but still has all the features. As in, hire a 3D modeler that isn't stupid. Not the modelers that are making all these messed up high lag human bodies...

 

I suspect that if Belleza ever did an update... well if they ever did an... WTF am I thinking, they won't ever do an update... but in some pipe dream fantasy where they did... if they removed all the layers and did things the same way Maitreya did, and also removed the three copies of the chest just like Maitreya did and made them worn addons... then such a 'will never actually happen' Belleza would be the lowest lag of the bodies made for human avatars. Sadly it's a dead product line...

 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...