Okay lets get all this out of the way..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1555 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay its a whole new year. Let's get this all out of the way now so we can have a quiet, peaceful, enjoyable 2020.

1. SL is/not a game..discuss

2. Where are name changes?

3. SL is dying because *insert reasons here*...discuss

4. Reasons why LL are the best/worst...discuss

5. These fees are not fair...discuss

6. Premium costs too much and I'm going to rage because I feel that as I once paid $9 dollars, 5 years ago, that I am entitled to ownership of the grid...discuss

7. Help im being stalked, somehow *insert person* knows where I am at all times

8. SL is dying / will die / will SL die?

9. Whatever else you feel you want to get off your chest before we begin 2020 properly

This is not a serious thread

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Discuss what? SL is a glorified 3D chatroom, slash, dress up game!

36 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Did you check the glove compartment?

37 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

...Because people are gullible enough to believe that SL is dying.

37 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

LL is the best because SL. They are the worst because some people are never happy.

38 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

These fees are not fair because I detest taxes.

38 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

6. Premium costs too much and I'm going to rage because I feel that as I once paid $9 dollars, 5 years ago, that I am entitled to ownership of the grid...discuss

Yup.

Oh, you needed more? Um.... Er.... I will think of something.

39 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

7. Help i'm being stalked, somehow *insert person* knows where I am at all times

Take off that item they gave you, it has a tracker in it.

40 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

SL will die.... one day. Just not in 2020. First they need to make Sansar more successful than SL is/has ever been before they can shut down SL. 

41 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

9. Whatever else you feel you want to get off your chest before we begin 2020 properly

My hovercraft is full of eels!!!!

41 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Seriously? :D

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Exactly!  Where's my estate ownership of all mainland?  May I rage now, pretty please with sugar on top?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Okay its a whole new year. Let's get this all out of the way now so we can have a quiet, peaceful, enjoyable 2020.

1. SL is/not a game..discuss  It's not a game, although you can turn it into one or play games within it.

3. SL is dying because *insert reasons here*...discuss  It's not

4. Reasons why LL are the best/worst...discuss  Service is low, very poor at following through on what they say they will do in a timely manner, and minimal real improvement in product over the years.

5. These fees are not fair...discuss  Life's not fair.  Don't like the fee, don't pay it.

6. Premium costs too much and I'm going to rage because I feel that as I once paid $9 dollars, 5 years ago, that I am entitled to ownership of the grid...discuss  Premium is for patsies.  Buy a friggin' private region and quit whining

7. Help im being stalked, somehow *insert person* knows where I am at all times  You know you like it so quit complaining

9. Whatever else you feel you want to get off your chest before we begin 2020 properly  If someone really has nothing more pressing than wasting time their time whining about this stuff, they lead a privileged life and should STFU.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Gosh. Never heard that one before.

/me glares at someone who should know better (and does. But it's still not funny.)

There's no attempt to be funny.  My experience with people on my sims (as well as others) who complained that ____(insert name here)___ is "stalking" them is that they are generally (95% of the time) drama llamas who love to complain about it, enjoy the attention crying about it brings to them, and are generally unwilling to expend the very minimal effort dealing with "stalkers" on SL requires.  So, I guess I do know better.

Note, I am differentiating between "stalking" on SL, which is a faux-problem (I'd say "first world problem" but it doesn't seem to fit) and RL stalking, which is indeed not funny and a serious problem.  The fact that some people try to equate the two is probably why the OP included it in this self-admittedly unserious post.

• Like 2

First life can be perceived as a game, it's a matter of perspective really. I don't consider SL a game.

Open your profile; you can change your display name there. Your legacy name doesn't really matter.

The crowded venue I'm currently at seems to suggest otherwise. How quickly all the new Linden Homes have been picked up suggests otherwise. I often have a cynical inclination, but that SL is 'dying' is an ignorant statement.

I like LL, generally speaking. When it comes to the electronic entertainment industry, Activision-Blizzard are by far the worst, closely followed by EA and Bethesda. As for the best .. *shrugs*

Define 'fair'. Second Life has a global userbase, with different economies and people from all walks of life. If you consider it worth the cost, it's fair. If you don't, you don't buy it, and that's fair.

See 5.

4 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Block, derender, don't go to your usual places for a little while, take the time to explore other places - or, if they're breaking any rules, notify the sim owners.

Everything and everyone is dying, we're all subject to entropy. Such is the nature of life. If you mean right here, right now, no. Refer to point 3.

Nothing's coming off my chest, I don't do manscaping. Let's roll!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These have all been covered in previous threads.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
word

30 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Note, I am differentiating between "stalking" on SL, which is a faux-problem (I'd say "first world problem" but it doesn't seem to fit) and RL stalking, which is indeed not funny and a serious problem.  The fact that some people try to equate the two is probably why the OP included it in this self-admittedly unserious post.

I'm glad you can make that distinction! Your last sentence, however, is a strawman argument: no one has suggested an equation between RL and SL stalking.

However, the fact that stalking in SL is not as dangerous or serious as it is in RL doesn't actually mean that SL stalking cannot be disturbing, upsetting, and even threatening. It is, in fact, a form of harassment, and it should be treated as such -- bearing in mind, of course, the differences in severity between it and forms of RL harassment.

34 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

My experience with people on my sims (as well as others) who complained that ____(insert name here)___ is "stalking" them is that they are generally (95% of the time) drama llamas who love to complain about it, enjoy the attention crying about it brings to them, and are generally unwilling to expend the very minimal effort dealing with "stalkers" on SL requires.  So, I guess I do know better.

This is purely anecdotal. I could, I suppose, query your apparent certainty that the cases you know of weren't "serious," but I'll take your word for it -- and add that I'd be delighted to think that this was case. I'd far rather someone get off on unnecessary drama than that they find themselves the target of actual harassment.

I'm not going to deny for a minute that there are people who are "drama llamas." My anecdotal experience, however, has been somewhat different than yours. As the administrator in two fairly largish in-world feminist groups, I used to get appeals for help from women in trouble -- both RL and SL -- probably a couple of times a month. Some of them may not have been entirely legitimate, but I authenticated a number of them. In at least one case, that I can verify (because I knew something about the woman's RL identity), SL stalking led to it in RL. They are one of the reasons why I authored a "safety guide" for women in SL in 2009, and built a resource centre for women suffering from abuse, sexual assault, and harassment (although that was about 90% concerned with RL issues).

Don't generalize from your own experience, perhaps? And maybe concede that others have different, and perhaps better vantages from which to judge?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Wait, wait!  Frittigern's hovercraft is full of eels!

We really should do something about that.   Choose one:

• Save Frittigern
  • Save the Eels
  • Hose out the hovercraft
  • Steal the hovercraft, sell the eels

Steal the hovercraft, eat the eels (if you are into that, me, Ima vegetarian...)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

and are generally unwilling to expend the very minimal effort dealing with "stalkers" on SL requires. 

Even when it does cross over to RL, it's like: "I gave out all my personal particulars, RL address, phone number, password and credit card number and now someone is stalking me! How can this be??"

Here's to a wiser 2020 on the internet. 😛

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Akane Nacht said:

No, common sense. Be careful what you divulge to strangers on the internet. 

But don't blame a victim for the harassment caused by someone they thought they could trust. It takes very little to IRL stalk an online friend. Friend them on your main/real FB or social media. Share phone numbers. Share e-mails. Little things that are normal social interactions can be used against you, and it's the stalker's fault. Not the victim's. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

But don't blame a victim for the harassment caused by someone they thought they could trust. It takes very little to IRL stalk an online friend. Friend them on your main/real FB or social media. Share phone numbers. Share e-mails. Little things that are normal social interactions can be used against you, and it's the stalker's fault. Not the victim's. 

I fully agree with you, but its always best to take precaution. For instance, I have a whole separate email for my social media accounts. I have never and will never put my full name up. Its my first name with a made up surname or just a online alias,  try to have everything set to as private as possible, no actual contact details on anything bar the absolute essentials and in the case of facebook you can't add me, I have to add you. Some may call me paranoid but in the age we live in I think as many precautions as possible are necessary. I even have various web browser extensions such as Ghostery installed.

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Like 2

Just now, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I fully agree with you, its always best to take precaution. For instance, I have a whole separate email for my social media accounts. I have never and will never put my full name up. Its my first name with a made up surname or just a online alias,  try to have everything set to as private as possible, no actual contact details on anything bar the absolute essentials and in the case of facebook you can't add me, I have to add you. Some may call me paranoid but in the age we live in I think as many precautions as possible are necessary

And for a motivated stalker, all those firewalls between them and you still might not be enough. Trust, but verify is great. But nobody's security is perfect, and even people who are cavalier about their lives don't deserve to be intruded upon.

. . .and I'm still hanging out here as the only person worried that their avatar might get possessed and go Annabelle on them, huh?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

This is life on the internet. So use the privacy tools available and be mindful of your online presence. Google yourself and see if there are any links to personal details you would not want widely known, then plug the security gaps. Seed some false info out there to confuse people. Be cunning and full of tricks... no wait that's Watership Down...

25 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

and even people who are cavalier about their lives don't deserve to be intruded upon.

No they don't, but they have been very silly and suffered the consequences.

9. Which one of you is the alt of my alt that is cheating on me with another one of my alts !?!?!?

Since @ItHadToComeToThis didn't mention that, clearly it is him/her/it...

I demand the moles ban the lindens over this, clearly they are in cahoots with the Illuminati !!!

<-- O.o ...

... o.O -->

Maybe you're ALL my alts...

(basically the only topic you missed: alt paranoia. :D )

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Wait, wait!  Frittigern's hovercraft is full of eels!

We really should do something about that.   Choose one:

• Save Frittigern
  • Save the Eels
  • Hose out the hovercraft
  • Steal the hovercraft, sell the eels

Send the robot down the zap them all. Or flush the fuel out and use what's still in the lines to get out of the iceberg. Since I guess I'm not the only one watching Lost in Space. :P

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1555 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.