Okay lets get all this out of the way..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

9. Is anyone else ever afraid that their avatar is going to turn around and grin at them like something out of a horror movie? 

Just me?

OK. Good to know. 

OMG.

I wasn't afraid of that happening.

Until now.

Thanks.

• Haha 3

1) depends how you play, some people treat it as a second life, some play it as a social game

2) soon, hopefully, though not a massive deal

3) all social platforms took a hit with the rise of social media, SL stagnated but it’s still pretty popular

4) LL has done what they think was the best move, to mostly leave things to the users, and has done well with what input they do have

5) SL is expensive, but things like premium and advertisement fees don’t affect the majority of the users, the users who do use those features seem to be against the prices though 

6) premium is pricy but nothing too crazy for any kind of virtual “membership”

7) it happens, just report and ignore, keep your irl and sl separated and it doesn’t matter much

8 ) SL as mentioned has stagnated, it doesn’t seem to grow much but it’s far from dying

9) clothes for furry avatars is a pain in the butt and every day I come closer to fully accepting ye olde furry cultural standard and just going bare fur, dear god are digitigrade pants impossible 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Okay its a whole new year. Let's get this all out of the way now so we can have a quiet, peaceful, enjoyable 2020.

1. SL is/not a game..discuss

2. Where are name changes?

3. SL is dying because *insert reasons here*...discuss

4. Reasons why LL are the best/worst...discuss

5. These fees are not fair...discuss

6. Premium costs too much and I'm going to rage because I feel that as I once paid $9 dollars, 5 years ago, that I am entitled to ownership of the grid...discuss

7. Help im being stalked, somehow *insert person* knows where I am at all times

8. SL is dying / will die / will SL die?

9. Whatever else you feel you want to get off your chest before we begin 2020 properly

This is not a serious thread

You forgot help I bought such and such and can't find it oh wait there it is.

• Haha 3

Did we miss:

I bought an item from Nameshamed Resident and it doesn't work (because I didnt bother to read the helpful notecard included and its better to run to the forums and complain that Nameshamed Resident sells broken stuff).  No I didn't bother to contact Nameshamed Resident or her CSR.  No I didn't join their group to ask the question.  You must all boycot their products and leave a bad review like I did because I didn't bother to read.  (I will probably never return to this thread to remove Nameshamed Residents name because.... reading is hard.)  

Thanks,  Snowflake Resident.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

But don't blame a victim for the harassment caused by someone they thought they could trust. It takes very little to IRL stalk an online friend. Friend them on your main/real FB or social media. Share phone numbers. Share e-mails. Little things that are normal social interactions can be used against you, and it's the stalker's fault. Not the victim's. 

Also: Turning on VOICE or listening to Music Streams. The RL stalker from SL is a real, very scary thing. I'll just leave it at that.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Okay its a whole new year. Let's get this all out of the way now so we can have a quiet, peaceful, enjoyable 2020.

You also left out: “I’m returning to SL from 2008, explain mesh to me/what’s new or changed since 2008?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

My all-time favorite: "This isn't my original account, I'm actually much older"

The funny thing is thats true for me too, but there ain't a lot of difference any more. Even my current account will be 12 years old this year. 😳

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

The funny thing is thats true for me too, but there ain't a lot of difference any more. Even my current account will be 12 years old this year. 😳

My point being: Who cares? Why does SL age matter at all? LOL

8 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I have always found this off-putting for some reason I cannot quite place, which is odd for me; whether my response is right or wrong, I usually know very well what emotion I am feeling and why.

This interests me, though, as I created a new account a month ago as my main, and debated for quite a while about adding something like "This is a new account, but I have been in SL for over 12. years." The reason I considered it wasn't some ego thing, it was just so people would not assume I had very little experience when they interacted with me. I essentially wanted full disclosure that they were dealing with someone who knew some stuff about how SL works and the culture because...I am not sure why, and that is why in the end I didn't do it. I do feel a bit like I am deceiving people, though.

I don't know for sure, but I have the impression that appearing to be a newby has worked in my favor. I can go explore places and ignore people and have them just think I am clueless rather than thinking I am an anti-social jerk, lol. Plus, I can go some places and observe and read profiles and not ever have anyone IM me. I feel pretty sure it is because I am so new because I look exactly the same and my profile is exactly the same other than not having some groups I used to have, and a couple picks I used to have. Does that make me a bad person? Honestly, it doesn't really matter, as I am already a bad person for so many other reasons that one or two more don't really make me any worse. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

My original account is over 12 years old, but I feel quite sure I will not be in SL long enough for this one to reach 12 years, for a lot of reasons. :)

Well...

This isn't my original account, I'm actually much older... but one day my avatar turned around at grinned at me through the screen, so I made a new account. 👽

Once we have name changes, I can go back to the old account and rename it, which is what makes LL the best - letting me do that. So once that's done the people stalking me won't be able to play this game with it anymore.

I mean I would take it premium, but SL is dying because these premium fees are too high...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

Still better than "I'm really new and looking to explore this world!" on 1 day old avi without payment info, fully "equipped" with most trending mesh body, head, hair, eyes, AO and outfits from most recent/ongoing events, while visiting some place with group only (paid) access. And then they just stand there while casually switching between 30 to 50 different hairstyles to see what fits their outfit better.

38 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

This interests me, though, as I created a new account a month ago as my main, and debated for quite a while about adding something like "This is a new account, but I have been in SL for over 12. years." The reason I considered it wasn't some ego thing, it was just so people would not assume I had very little experience when they interacted with me. I essentially wanted full disclosure that they were dealing with someone who knew some stuff about how SL works and the culture because...I am not sure why, and that is why in the end I didn't do it. I do feel a bit like I am deceiving people, though.

It's actually pretty valid reason why some people put that into their profiles until those new avis "age enough". By doing so you let a few helpful (or "helpful" ) people to know (assuming they read profiles that is) that you are not in need of a freebie mesh body and a LM to "freebies galaxy", nor do you need a crash course about viewer settings or basic functions.

---

But yeah, both of those cases can raise a red flag, one is obviously lying, other is "yet another alt that cheats on their partner/friends or a drama maker that needs a refresh" in most people eyes. Oh and if you won't put any of that, then those people just going to assume something anyway. I guess it's pretty rough to actually be new in SL these days.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Oh and if you won't put any of that, then those people just going to assume something anyway. I guess it's pretty rough to actually be new in SL these days.

Oh, I really don't care in the least about that. The three (yes ,three) people I had in my contacts in my main (other than alts) know about my new account (only two have chosen to add my new account), and the very small (as in, one small club) group of people I interact with know about my move. My main concern is just about being honest with strangers at places I might go. But I have gotten over that, too.

9 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

This is really amusing because I know a couple of people who have just very quietly started over. Shhh...

my contribution: “This is 2020, how can ANYONE still be wearing/using/doing  *_____*???111? That’s sooooo yesterday!

anything ‘ok boomer’-ish or ‘ok noob’-ish...both are lame. Oldbies lamenting ye good olde daze, noobs being clueless and not googling or reading up. Come together, accept that we are *all* the weirdos at the somewhat geeky table! 🤓

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I won't go as far as calling out pomposity here, but all the replies to justify oneself in doing this very thing is fascinating. Though no one seemed to see this second-half of mt comment:

18 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

My point being: Who cares? Why does SL age matter at all? LOL

So I suppose it is what it is: amour-propre toward strangers.

28 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Now where can I find a tardigrade avatar?

Join a "Tinies " group!

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

So I suppose it is what it is: amour-propre toward strangers.

Or maybe amour de soi?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.