DISAPPOINTMENT IN CHARGING TO USE THE EVENTS CALENDAR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i so hate to see  the sense of  entitlement in a game like SL. I do stand by LL's charges and they should charge even more. I actually believe LL should start to charge for our alts. As a resident in California i do understand LL pays high rent to provide this awesome game to all of us.. LL i would suggest you to charge all of us $100.00 or more per alt that would be helpful and fair. Nothing comes for free. It's a reasonable price to stop the annoying spams and also a way to make those who make money here to contribute. Ya you go LL I have your back. Taxes in California are the highest, so yes charge and make the game awesome.. changes for better are always welcome. I stand behind your charges.

Edited by chel Boxen
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I love the changes and as a SF resident I understand the living cost here. LL as far as I know is located in a very expensive commercial location in the city. I don't think they are asking for too much. I hope they will at some point charge very high for having alts, the population will shrink. Everybody complains but no one seems to be interested to leave SL to play Sansar so make up your mind and don't worry,  just enjoy the game. Those who leave they always come back. Lol

Edited by chel Boxen
  • Haha 1

I don't think the events calendar fee has anything to do with LL's income, it's way too small for that, but since it's brought up here:

8 hours ago, chel Boxen said:

I love the changes and as a SF resident I understand the living cost here. LL as far as I know is located in a very expensive commercial location in the city. I don't think they are asking for too much.

Yes but why are they located in a very expensive commercial location? What benefit do the customers who pay for this extragavanca get from it?

LL can charge whatever they like of course but it puts them at disadvantage when they have to face competitors that don't have to handle such a bloated overhead. This is not a virtual reality specific problem btw, it's one the entire internet industry has to face. As much as I respect you patriotism, the fact is that most SL users and the vast majority of internet users are not Californian or even American so it means nothing to them us.

The big internet corporations' response to the situation is to decentralize. Their HQs may still be in Silicon Valley but most of their workforce and office space is spread out across locations that not only are cheaper but also closer to their customer base. LL has also decentralized their activities to some degree but their not really able to do it very efficiently partly because they're not big enough but mostly because they're not expanding.

Everybody complains but no one seems to be interested to leave SL to play Sansar so make up your mind and don't worry,  just enjoy the game.

Sansar is not a good example. There are several other new actors in virtual reality that look far more promising.

---

Even good old opensim is beginning to look like a serious threat to SL. Some people are still a bit scared of opensim because of the demise of Avination and Inworldz. But Avination failed because it had a poor business model. Inworldz may have had a good plan to start with but something happened right at the start that made it impossible for them to follow it.

The quality of the opensim software is about the same as SL's. It's all about how well organized a company is and the more serious grids are very well organized. The most successful so far has been slowly and carefully growing their business over 11 years (whilst LL has been slowly and carelessly shrinking theirs). It now has more sims paid for by customers than SL and if you ask which of the two is likely two survive for longest, the answer isn't SL.

Those who leave they always come back. Lol

According to data LL has slipped every now and then, the number of active users have dropped by more than 25% over the last four or five years. Some come back, yes, but most don't.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, chel Boxen said:

As a resident in California i do understand LL pays high rent to provide this awesome game to all of us.. LL i would suggest you to charge all of us $100.00 or more per alt that would be helpful and fair.

Are you one of Ebbe's Alts?  I am sure he can afford $100/yr for an alt on his salary.  Apparently you think SL should be an Elite world for only the wealthy.  Or are you trolling us, and work for the competition?

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, chel Boxen said:

i so hate to see  the sense of  entitlement in a game like SL. I do stand by LL's charges and they should charge even more. I actually believe LL should start to charge for our alts. As a resident in California i do understand LL pays high rent to provide this awesome game to all of us.. LL i would suggest you to charge all of us $100.00 or more per alt that would be helpful and fair. Nothing comes for free. It's a reasonable price to stop the annoying spams and also a way to make those who make money here to contribute. Ya you go LL I have your back. Taxes in California are the highest, so yes charge and make the game awesome.. changes for better are always welcome. I stand behind your charges.

LL has offices all over... just sayin.. And you must be high to even think anyone would pay 100 for an alt. that is just crazy talk.

Edited by Tarina Sewell

that's why there's two options to play SL the primary and the basic accounts, does that make anything elite? i agree there's offices everywhere... the game was created  here... The company's head office is in San Francisco, with additional offices in Boston, Seattle, Virginia and Davis, California. ... type on google Linden Lab and see for yourself what comes up :)  alts are optional so why not to charge for them? I would be okay  with the charges. Most people do come back with a new avatar, I see that over and over...

Edited by chel Boxen

I do pay 99 dollars a year for each of my alts since they're all premium but that's my choice. (The reason is that I'm only a few thousand m2 over one of the steps in the tier ladder. If it wasn't for the premium tiers of my alts I would have had to pay for almost a quarter sim of tier I don't need.)

3 hours ago, chel Boxen said:

alts are optional so why not to charge for them?

If I'm to see it from LL's point of view, it's because they would loose more than they gained and because enforcing it would be an administrative nightmare.

12 hours ago, chel Boxen said:

ChinRey, yes they are located in one of the most expensive commercial area of the city..  SF became the most expensive city in the US

We used to live down the peninsula and had a RL night club in South San Francisco. We sold that when the property became to valuable to keep as a night club and left the state.

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I wish there was an easy report option when we see that 

If LL would be really serious about cleaning the Events calendar they had wiped it totally at a date just before the payment got in place ...but... well... it's visible... just a small but often used thing to get a dime now.
Same with many adult posts .. the ladies are waiting ... they are ALWAYS waiting.. thats no event, thats a business model! doesn't belong in that list.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 4:59 PM, chel Boxen said:

Try again https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-most-expensive-cities-2019/index.html

SF sits comfortably at number 25 whereas NY is 7.

But thing with expensive city reports is one says one thing another says different. I find it hard to believe that a city jumped from 25 to 1 in 1 year. Maybe in land price it could be but certainly not cost of living.

Edited by Drayke Newall

8 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

seriously thought this was a thread about the events calendar in SL

Still is, they were saying that they didn't mind the charge as SF is so expensive therefore any increase in fees LL propose is justifiable. I provided evidence to the contrary.

EDIT: ie I debated in a forum. You mean to say this isn't what a forums is for? Tell the romans quick they made a mistake in their language.

Edited by Drayke Newall

5 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

EDIT: ie I debated in a forum. You mean to say this isn't what a forums is for? Tell the romans quick they made a mistake in their language.

yes : if you make a newtopic
no: if you derail ... and that is happening.

many topics got closed for less than this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes : if you make a newtopic
no: if you derail ... and that is happening.

many topics got closed for less than this.

LOL I didn't derail the thread. If you want to blame someone blame Chel Boxon, then ChinRey for replying, then Jaylinbridges, etc, etc. 

Also you are wrong I don't need to start a new thread to say (or debate) this person is wrong in their statement of justification for increased fees to the events calendar because of x,y,z please read that thread first then come to my new thread to say whether you believe it to be as well. It is part of the evolution of a forum debate a person argues they think something is justified due to x and another person says it isn't because your evidence is wrong.

I can just picture it now Ancient rome: Senator Maximus proposes an event tax increase to cover romes ever increasing cost of living using evidence provided by Senator Aurelius that "this here parchment shows we pay more rent than Pompeii". Senator Lucius, rightfully so stands up and shows his parchment that clearly says Pompeii is actually #1. Senator Maximus is furious at this "this is no place for proving me wrong about our reasons for increasing our events tax, go argue in the marketplace as you are derailing my speech".

But hey, if it helps I will bow out of the thread even though I did nothing wrong.

Edited by Drayke Newall

It's bad business to set prices based on cost-of-living at one location, except when that location brings unique advantages that make the product or service that much better than could be supplied by a competitor in a less expensive location. Of course San Francisco attracts a particular talent pool and is in close proximity to "supply chains" such as they are. And the Second Life service has a lot of customer loyalty because competitors' products aren't very substitutable for the original.

If it in fact mattered, I think SF could make a pretty good claim for highest average cost of commercial space in the US (not the world, as in that Economist report cited in the CNN article), but only because the city proper is geographically tiny. If it's trying to compare whole metropolitan areas, then... I realize I have no idea how that's done. There's a whole lotta nothin' between SF and Livermore, and between midtown Manhattan and Scarsdale, so what's comparable? And why would anybody care?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I wish there was an easy report option when we see that 

I want to track down the person who posted all that garbage and ask them why the eff they did that. And call them bad names. 

And punch them in the throat, though violence is never justified.

Except in this case, maybe.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Beth Macbain said:

I want to track down the person who posted all that garbage and ask them why the eff they did that. And call them bad names. 

And punch them in the throat, though violence is never justified.

Except in this case, maybe.

kInd of hoping that only the DJ and host turned up for the whole duration of the event and it cost them more in listing fees, electricity and stream fees than they made in tips

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

kInd of hoping that only the DJ and host turned up for the whole duration of the event and it cost them more in listing fees, electricity and stream fees than they made in tips

I'm going to operate under the assumption that if they were any good, they wouldn't have to resort to spam.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

Still is, they were saying that they didn't mind the charge as SF is so expensive therefore any increase in fees LL propose is justifiable. I provided evidence to the contrary.

Might be why they were called bulletin boards before they were called forums. They're for communication, not just debate.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:41 AM, Jaylinbridges said:

This is just another LL business decision to encourage more basic members to upgrade to Premium.  It will be listed as another Premium perk, no charge for recurring events and only 10 $L per unique listing, vs 50 $L and pay for each one.  As far as solving the sex spam problem, it won't do a thing - just wait and see.

QFT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.