DISAPPOINTMENT IN CHARGING TO USE THE EVENTS CALENDAR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

If Linden Lab is taking an action with the intent of raising revenue, you can be pretty sure the charge will be in US$s. If the action is intended to shape behavior, it will be denominated in L$s

this is pretty spot on I think

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

To make explicit what I think most have tacitly intuited: If Linden Lab is taking an action with the intent of raising revenue, you can be pretty sure the charge will be in US$s. If the action is intended to shape behavior, it will be denominated in L$s. That's why upload fees, for example, are in L$s and tier is in US$s. They can book the US$ income directly, but the L$ charges are only realized as income when additional new L$s are sold on the LindeX to meet demand indirectly created by the charge.

It's a little complicated in this "recurring event" situation where the L$ fee is different for "Premium" and "Basic" users: the Premium subscription fee is charged in US$s, so the behavior being shaped by the L$ charge is to encourage more US$ subscriptions. Premium revenue itself is complex because it includes that L$-denominated stipend -- competing directly with those new L$s sold on the LindeX as a source of money supply. Put another way, the Premium subscription is mostly a way to monetize the game currency. Everything else about it is essentially marketing; businesswise the stipend is what Premium is for.

There's certainly room to debate whether a particular L$ fee is effective in shaping the behavior it's intended to affect, including in some cases whether it really encourages Premium subscriptions. I'm just saying that this is the machinery they're tweaking; there's no conspiracy to make lives miserable for Basic members, even if that's the outcome.

I think perhaps you may have misinterpreted my post if this was directed at me. I'm not saying that Linden Lab did it as a profit making move. Whether they did is here or there and no one would be able to tell that, though marketplace fees are in $L and contribute a massive amount to their profits and are specifically a profit making endeavour.

My intention was to highlight they have made the move to attract people to premium instead of looking at it as an even playing field to reduce the amount of spam with regards to events. As I mentioned I think tiered premium models are a good way for LL to move forward with things, I don't believe however these kind of moves benefit anybody especially when they are added to a generic subscription plan and cause more annoyance to basic users as opposed to benefiting the system as a whole.

If, LL came out with figures saying that basic users are the number one spammers from specifically 3rd party rented mainland or regions then I will say ok fair enough for charging more for the events, however if (and I believe this may be the case) the majority of Adult clubs or those that advertise with clubs and spam are perhaps on the mainland or adult mainland where a subscription is needed to own land, then I would suspect that having a negligible L$10 fee for listing events a bit irrational. Not to mention against what they have initially stated as being their intent with these specific fees and a pure move to force club owners to premium (more LL profit) where those owners can use the stipend to pay for as much spam as they want without it generally effecting them profit wise at all.

As for my section on money spent between premium and basic my intent there was to highlight that a premium member cannot equate to basic members that own sims, rent sims or the like and that in the grand scheme of things, despite moves for LL to monetize SL through premium, given the expense basic users go through already even the average basic user would in theory probably end up spending just as much or even more than a premium member would over the year. In other words far more than $12 or $9/month especially when you take into consideration those that simply have premium for the great new Linden Homes and only spend their weekly stipend within SL instead of buying more lindens.

Edited by Drayke Newall

34 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

I think perhaps you may have misinterpreted my post if this was directed at me.

Oh, no it wasn't, sorry if I gave that impression. As I kinda hinted in a snarky earlier post, I don't see much significance at all to the differential event listing fees for basic and premium -- any basic member can just deputize a premium friend to do the dirty work, if it's really such a big deal. Also, I don't really think the fees can be that effective in reducing spam because it would take an absurd number of event listings to amount to enough real money to matter in the scope of what it takes to run a venue (or a band, or whatever pays the bills). I really think the whole thing is an exceedingly silly tempest in a teapot, but the Lab seems to have made all the right choices to brew up that tempest.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Oh, no it wasn't, sorry if I gave that impression. As I kinda hinted in a snarky earlier post, I don't see much significance at all to the differential event listing fees for basic and premium -- any basic member can just deputize a premium friend to do the dirty work, if it's really such a big deal. Also, I don't really think the fees can be that effective in reducing spam because it would take an absurd number of event listings to amount to enough real money to matter in the scope of what it takes to run a venue (or a band, or whatever pays the bills). I really think the whole thing is an exceedingly silly tempest in a teapot, but the Lab seems to have made all the right choices to brew up that tempest.

No worries at all Qie. As to your comments with the fees, I quite agree, however LL have no one else to blame but themselves (not that it seems to bother them anyway) considering they advertised the fee increase as a spam reduction method.

• Like 1

Regarding "Events"..   The Seanchai Library has been presenting Live Storytelling events 5 days a week since 2008.
These are not hosted DJ music, these are not adult grabby feels, these are not dancing...
These ARE free, live audio stories presented by professional storytellers in front of a live audience, with live video and chat links to opensim where the show is presented simultaneously, and both audiences can interact during the storytelling. Every event is professionally hosted to provide a pleasant and fun experience.

Kinda like audiobooks, only live, and free! And with a fun audience.

"Events" can be more than dancing and music and sex... If you've never experienced SL "Events" besides dancing and music, come check us out.

www.seanchailibrary.com
www.storylinkradio.com

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/H ... /213/43/27
http://www.kitely.com/search?q=seanchai

btw - we like to dance and stuff too, and we do have live DJs on staff for special events.

21 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

The reoccurring event should have more options like every 2 weeks. Only has once and weekly options atm. And that should be expanded to non-premies too.

Agreed. It needs a custom option, like Google Calendar has. I should be able to customize to every 2, 3, 4 weeks or more.

• 7 months later...

I have been in SL for over 11 and a half years and in the past 6 years, LLs keeps on finding ways to charge us more and they dont even fix the system, or regulate the over use of the events calendar, LLs has totally let SL go to ***** and yet they still keep charging us more and more and we are getting less and less for our money. This is just another way to milk us. I miss the old days when maintenance took place maybe once every 3 months or so and the teen grid was still the teen grid and not mixed with SL and people were creative and unique, not like today where everyone looks the same and so do most creations. SL has become a haven for sheep and drama butt hurt babies. SL has more mean and greedy players than I have ever seen and encountered in my over 11 and a half years. People are lazy now in sl, I was hanging out in one night club and in local chat the DJ stated that he pre-records all his sets so he can do something else in rl or in another screen, I was appalled by this statement and then he proceed to say that most djs now do this and they dont care, they are taking money for not doing a job, seems everyone in sl wants something for nothing, needless to say, I have now boycotted that club. We have bully creators who think they own mesh rights to everything, we have cliques EVERYWHERE who think they are better than everyone else and loiter at clubs and make others feel unwelcome, sl is just a mean place now and I try not to be on sl much anymore bc of this and bc LLs keeps charging more and more for nothing in return, its a cess pool of hate and greed more now than ever

Edited by Bleach Kimono
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bleach Kimono said:

finding ways to charge us more
keep charging us more and more

This is just another way to milk us.

LL is a company that wants to earn money, what in RL didn't get more expensive over the last 15 years? Thats really not a long list!
At some parts LL didn't raise user costs at all,  Premium for many years, they lowered landprices as Tier, and purchase and maintenance costs for private regions.

They charge not enough yet, the events listing is still full of nonsense.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Bleach Kimono said:

I have been in SL for over 11 and a half years and in the past 6 years, LLs keeps on finding ways to charge us more and they dont even fix the system, or regulate the over use of the events calendar, LLs has totally let SL go to ***** and yet they still keep charging us more and more and we are getting less and less for our money. This is just another way to milk us. I miss the old days when maintenance took place maybe once every 3 months or so and the teen grid was still the teen grid and not mixed with SL and people were creative and unique, not like today where everyone looks the same and so do most creations. SL has become a haven for sheep and drama butt hurt babies. SL has more mean and greedy players than I have ever seen and encountered in my over 11 and a half years. People are lazy now in sl, I was hanging out in one night club and in local chat the DJ stated that he pre-records all his sets so he can do something else in rl or in another screen, I was appalled by this statement and then he proceed to say that most djs now do this and they dont care, they are taking money for not doing a job, seems everyone in sl wants something for nothing, needless to say, I have now boycotted that club. We have bully creators who think they own mesh rights to everything, we have cliques EVERYWHERE who think they are better than everyone else and loiter at clubs and make others feel unwelcome, sl is just a mean place now and I try not to be on sl much anymore bc of this and bc LLs keeps charging more and more for nothing in return, its a cess pool of hate and greed more now than ever

90% of what you complain about in your wall of text has absolutly nothing to do with LL and often not even true or sounds like your personal drama. Honestly, if you are so upset, go and delete your account. Especially if you activily have to try to "not be on sl much", because that sounds like a problem, if hating a platform is not enough do make you stop using it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bleach Kimono said:

SL is not funded by a charity nor is it a charity.  According to Google, the purchasing of a $1 item in 2004 now requires $1.37 in USD to obtain the same exact item (I lays think about the cost of a candy bar or gallon of gas).   That’s inflation & how we’ve come to where we are in society of working longer, harder hours just to stay afloat.  That goes across the board, no one is exempt.  
The deal with SL, is its entertainment at its core.  You don’t have to partake.  If you don’t feel you receive appropriate entertainment for your money- you don’t have to spend money on it.  You can go elsewhere for entertainment.

So far as being “appalled” that a virtual “dj” was not going to be sat at his computer while he played songs- why be appalled?  Maybe something in the real world required his attention.  You might try & think of that as a good thing in two parts- he values his RL over SL & 2- he made sure that there was music.  He wasn’t a no-show.

Bully creators who own their intellectual property?  Well, again- there are other options for your dollar.  

And there are cliques everywhere.  Yep, there sure is.  That’s human nature.  Sticking with those you identify with, hang around folks you have common interests with.  & yes, there are plenty of chances to run into individuals you don’t like.  That’s why you can mute, tp out & even X out when you feel overwhelmed.

Take a break from SL for awhile.  It’s not unheard of.  

Go find something that can help you find your happy.

• Like 4

On 9/5/2020 at 7:52 PM, Bleach Kimono said:

You were one of the ones that spammed non events, weren't you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.