DISAPPOINTMENT IN CHARGING TO USE THE EVENTS CALENDAR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Second Life service has a lot of customer loyalty because competitors' products aren't very substitutable for the original.

I’m really looking forward to the calendar being cleared out, I think it will be a big improvement and I’ll be glad to maybe be able to more easily discover a greater number of quality live events of all kinds. I also don’t really follow any dj’s who don’t live-mix and I really prefer those who compose some music too so a huge chunk of the current calendar listings for 24/7 dj stuff aren’t appealing at all. 

regarding what @Qie Niangao said, I think this is a very important point for some of us. As much as people like to complain about LL, I haven’t found anything else that offers near enough of what I like SL for. Do we also have a Kitely subscription? Yep, and I enjoy it a lot too, but for different reasons. In 2020 I’m going to check out more VR places too but for me, SL still offers many unique features that I really like. I’m not saying I love everything about SL, there are some really annoying and frustrating things for sure...but to me, the benefits of participating still far outweigh the downsides. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I’m really looking forward to the calendar being cleared out, I think it will be a big improvement and I’ll be glad to maybe be able to more easily discover a greater number of quality live events of all kinds.

SL is not clearing out the calendar.  Where did you ever get that idea?  SL Events is as cluttered with sex clubs as ever.  Nearly everyone posting here seems to know nothing about SL Events.  It's still 80% sex spam, and not legit events because the extra charges mean nothing to the owners of the sex joints.  Turn Off the adult category and you will see the real events, as always.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

SL is not clearing out the calendar.  Where did you ever get that idea?  SL Events is as cluttered with sex clubs as ever.  Nearly everyone posting here seems to know nothing about SL Events.  It's still 80% sex spam, and not legit events because the extra charges mean nothing to the owners of the sex joints.  Turn Off the adult category and you will see the real events, as always.

I'm surprised people even think an increase such as this would stop the spam. Just goes to show how out of the loop LL are as far as these things are when they advertise the fee increase reason as a resolution to the spam. Like usual they hurt the genuine people that use it correctly and have no impact on those that don't.

Where LL should be updating the whole Event UI they go the simplest non effective route instead. The other issue is SL users seem to be all too lazy to use filters, then think it is acceptable to complain about spam.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Absolutely untrue, but don't let that stop you... 

Well I and @Jaylinbridges must have one really bugged viewer then as when I search for events using filters (just tried then) I don't get any sex spam and find the events I am looking for quite easily and quickly.

Do I get duplicates of the same event for each hour? Yes, but those events all use the same title generally so are easy to distinguish/ignore and an increase in fees will not reduce those duplicates if the venue operators can afford the increase. To reduce duplicates, a better way of handling it than increasing fees would be to alter the UI and just limit the amount of events a club can advertise in a day or make it so they can only advertise their club once and have to show in their one listing the timings they are live. Then have the system search that one entry for those multiple times and show it at those times relevant. But hey, LL need to get money from somewhere so this is a perfect excuse and also their new way of getting people to use premium nothing more.

It simply comes down to the UI not being implemented properly.

Edited by Drayke Newall

On 12/22/2019 at 7:53 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

SL is not clearing out the calendar. 

I should have been more clear. I don’t mind that LL will be charging for event listings because I think it will result in a clearing of the calendar of a lot of the spam posting because if even half of the spammers and people who double and triple repeat posts can’t just spam the calendar like this for free anymore, it will ‘clear out’ a lot of those listings. Then using filters, I think the calendar will become useable again. 

• Like 1

It just doesn't seem possible that a responsible use of the Events calendar could cost enough to matter. I mean, if it's worth fussing with, I'd wonder if I was doing it right. Maybe fewer listings would work as well or better? Have I ever tried it?

(Again, I personally never even search the Events listings -- spam or not, makes no difference to me -- it just seems the charges are so low it would take an awful lot of them to be worth noticing.)

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

It just doesn't seem possible that a responsible use of the Events calendar could cost enough to matter. I mean, if it's worth fussing with, I'd wonder if I was doing it right. Maybe fewer listings would work as well or better? Have I ever tried it?

(Again, I personally never even search the Events listings -- spam or not, makes no difference to me -- it just seems the charges are so low it would take an awful lot of them to be worth noticing.)

Kinda makes you wonder -- no?

A pattern perhaps ?

Big picture gal here :D.  Happy holidays.  

• 2 weeks later...

So events have been updated again. We now have recurring events.

For 50L, premium users can post their event to appear in the events calendar on a recurring basis to a total of 12 (weeks, months, or however regular the event occurs). The fee is one time per unique event.

So you can now post approximately 4 months of events for a one time 50L x the number of unique events in your calendar. So for example - If you have 10 regular events a week, you can post 4 months worth of them for a cost of 500L

Events can be changed free of charge, and a link to "my events" is up on the calendar for easy access.

10 minutes ago, Adam Spark said:

So events have been updated again. We now have recurring events.

For 50L, premium users can post their event to appear in the events calendar on a recurring basis to a total of 12 (weeks, months, or however regular the event occurs). The fee is one time per unique event.

So you can now post approximately 4 months of events for a one time 50L x the number of unique events in your calendar. So for example - If you have 10 regular events a week, you can post 4 months worth of them for a cost of 500L

Events can be changed free of charge, and a link to "my events" is up on the calendar for easy access.

That's a good thing but where did you get the info and why isn't there any regarding the recurring event fees for basic accounts? They hold recurring events, too.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That's a good thing but where did you get the info and why isn't there any regarding the recurring event fees for basic accounts? They hold recurring events, too.

From the events calendar, its quietly been added like the fees were a week or so ago (or at least the wording has been. I don't think they are actually removing L's yet, come to think of it). Strike that. They are indeed charging now.

https://gyazo.com/f0ada416281eaf9a6de939259dd9f6a9

Edited by Adam Spark

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Perhaps its a premium only thing? and considering the cost of L$50 for premium one can only imagine what it would be for basic users...

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:

Perhaps its a premium only thing? and considering the cost of L$50 for premium one can only imagine what it would be for basic users...

It better not be since LL is charging basic accounts 50Ls to post a single event. That is 50Ls per event.

10 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It better not be since LL is charging basic accounts 50Ls to post a single event. That is 50Ls per event.

If they did, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

But that said and not related to you at all but some others, so long as it clears up the events calendar…. 🙄

As the saying goes, give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Edited by Drayke Newall

27 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

If they did, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

But that said and not related to you at all but some others, so long as it clears up the events calendar…. 🙄

As the saying goes, give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Ditto. But I will not pay 50Ls per event on recurring events.

LL has only themselves to blame for not doing the right things at the right times.  So many things should have been "cleaned up" 10 years ago.

There's another old saying, don't put off today what you can do tomorrow because tomorrow may never come.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It seems to be a premium perk only, the ability to schedule recurring events. L$50 for up to 12 in a sequence. You can see the options when you create your event while signed in as premium. 

“Basic members will be charged L$50 to create an event listing while Premium members will pay L$10. On the heels of this change, we will introduce the ability for Premium members to schedule recurring events.“

34 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

the ability for Premium members to schedule recurring events.“

I hope LL is ready for the fallout from that. 

Frankly, I'm about at the end of my rope being treated like a second class citizen by LL simply because I don't have the kind of money everyone else seems to have. Really pisses me off too after all the thousands of USD I've thrown at SL over 16 years. They have no appreciation for those who have been here a long time and contributed to their bank accounts, directly of indirectly.

Honestly Linden Lab, you're 20 years old. Grow up!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Frankly, I'm about at the end of my rope being treated like a second class citizen by LL simply because I don't have the kind of money everyone else seems to have. Really pisses me off too after all the thousands of USD I've thrown at SL over 16 years. They have no appreciation for those who have been here a long time and contributed to their bank accounts, directly of indirectly.

I feel this way too.

I feel like a certain amount of $L purchase should equate to some level of premium membership, at least for a set amount of time. Say, buying $100 USD worth of Linden Dollars gets you one year of premium.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I feel the same. After some BS and LL starting to nickle and dime more I gave up my club to someone else and letting my premie expire when the time runs out on it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Adam Spark said:

I feel this way too.

I feel like a certain amount of $L purchase should equate to some level of premium membership, at least for a set amount of time. Say, buying $100 USD worth of Linden Dollars gets you one year of premium.

I didn't just buy Ls though. I "owned" a homestead for years at $125 US per month. Which adds up to $1500 US annually. That may not seem like much to most but for us, it's a lot of money to shell out every month when your income is below national poverty level. That is why I can never afford to live alone again. 

My landlords were not making any profit off my homestead. Every bit of it went to LL because grandfathered when they jacked up the land prices way back when. 

Hmmm... that's not a bad idea really but LL would never go for it. For one of two reasons. Either their finances are not in order or they're just flat out greedy. Not sure which I'd prefer. Both are equally scary because they both mean an end to SL sooner rather than later.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.