Small parcel levy

iamyourneighbour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I noticed there are some ancient signs on parcels no larger than 16-64 sqm on mainland particularly next to the roads. 

So my suggestion to LL is that entities holding less than 512 sqm total in a sim will count as 512 sqm towards tiers, that way you can boost revenue from groups would otherwise be insignificant in total moneys collected.  Say if someone is on premium with 1024 sqm allowance that would mean a wooping 64 microparcels they place ads on. I think it's time for them to pay up for using the valuable space on mainland.

@Linden Lab

• Like 1

the no-cutting of parcels to smaller than 512m parcels and setting them for sale has worked quite well over the years since the land wars. Most people are aware not to do this and don't

Linden have been quite good about managing this overall. Whenever less than 512m parcels are abandoned then Land Linden has usually gone in and joined them to other abandoned parcels, or when roadside then joined them to the LPDW public right-of-ways.  Which has eliminated a lot of the small parcel blight that used to be there

there are still a number of 16/32 advertising parcels, some dating back years. but overall is a lot cleaner than it was

i don't think people should be charged more, for a less than 512m parcel

just on obtaining a small parcel.  Linden sold me a 96m roadside a few weeks ago for L$96.  In my request to buy it, I explained that my 1024m parcel on the same region was deeded to my personal group and I would like to top this up to 1120m and still stay under my 1024m tier allowance.  Linden set the 96m for sale to me the next day. Which I was pretty happy about and put a shed on it for my tractor

Linden did this as they want people using the land rather than having it lie fallow and abandoned

now and again a newish person to the mainland today, will start chopping up roadside to try to make a advertising network, but as they find out, a few months of not getting any customers to advertise on their network, they give on the idea

there was person on these forums who had a go at this, last seen a few weeks ago trying to sell off their previous acquired 16m parcels for 300L each, without anyone much interested in buying them for this price. Nobody is interested because a) no sustainable customer base for an ad network and b) anyone who does need to top up to their tier allowance can get a small parcel top up land from Linden for L$1 per sqm. and c) with de-render in most TPVs now, blight in the view can be banished

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes I still see 16 sq ms, in fact I own one as a sort of drop box location (which is decorated with grass and trees and the drop box itself is hidden), although looking to abandon that or get someone to absorb that at some point since it's sort at a very out of the way location for me.

I have a 16 sq m I bought years ago that bordered a land I owned simply to prevent anyone else from getting it and putting some god-awful sign on it.  I could have derendered a sign like I did another one next to it but derendering does have the disadvantage in that you can still bump into it.  There was also the satisfaction of denying someone advertising space.

24 minutes ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

I have a 16 sq m I bought years ago that bordered a land I owned simply to prevent anyone else from getting it and putting some god-awful sign on it

i can't remember now which Linden said it back in the day, but apparently the most o.b.v.i.o.u.s use of 16m parcels, if the adfarmers were to be believed, but not ever, was for the gatherings of the Knitting Circle Society

so you could do that, make it true. Put a knitting stool and a hugging tree on the parcel. And name the parcel Knitting Circle Society and in the description put the weekly meeting date and time. Oh! man I should stop now while I am way behind 😸

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2019 at 11:52 PM, iamyourneighbour said:

I noticed there are some ancient signs on parcels no larger than 16-64 sqm on mainland particularly next to the roads. 

So my suggestion to LL is that entities holding less than 512 sqm total in a sim will count as 512 sqm towards tiers, that way you can boost revenue from groups would otherwise be insignificant in total moneys collected.  Say if someone is on premium with 1024 sqm allowance that would mean a wooping 64 microparcels they place ads on. I think it's time for them to pay up for using the valuable space on mainland.

@Linden Lab

I have 4 premium membership's land donated to my group, and I pay for an additional 4096 sq m per month, also donated to my group. I have two well developed parcels on a sim on Zindra, and I'm currently collecting 50  16 sq m parcels (max number of ad parcels allowed for one person) all along mainland roads to place ads on. What's the problem with that? There is no rule that says all your land holdings must be on one sim.

I often buy 64 or even 128 sq m parcels, cut off my 16 sq m along the road, and abandon the rest, again, nothing at all wrong with that. 

In fact, if someone is selling a larger parcel, I will contact them, and offer the full price for just the 2x protected 16 sq m part I want. They can still sell the rest, or abandon it, since they got their full asking price for the 16 sq m part.

The buying and selling of micro parcels is alive and well, despite some persons claim that the practice has been banned.

• Sad 3

46 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'm currently collecting 50  16 sq m parcels (max number of ad parcels allowed for one person) all along mainland roads to place ads on. What's the problem with that?

It destroys the mainland with ugliness. No one wants to see your ads in their front yards. It's a disgusting and despicable practice. 

• Like 3

I've seen tiny parcels used for parking spaces. Each parcel has its own parking meter, which works like a land rental box. It's not that useful, since the parking spaces have to line up on 4m boundaries.

I've seen a place which had many small horse corrals, each a separate parcel. This confused the pathfinding system.

The non-ad use cases for tiny parcels seem pretty limited.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

It destroys the mainland with ugliness. No one wants to see your ads in their front yards. It's a disgusting and despicable practice. 

this linden policy is pretty clear about ads .. the article  gives enough reasons to AR any ugly/abusive way of advertising.
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

this linden policy is pretty clear about ads .. the article  gives enough reasons to AR any ugly/abusive way of advertising.
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

When I put up my first ad parcel, I apparently broke almost every possible rule there was. Fortunately, someone posted about it in the forums. I saw it, and was able to fix it and make it conform in every way.

Of course it's not possible to make something physically appealing to everyone, but objectively, they all conform to all the rules regarding networked advertising: one per sim, grounded on the land, no higher than 8 m tall, no spammers or talkers, land access public and object set to phantom, among other things. 

To the person who posted about not wanting my ugly ad in their front yard, if by any chance it IS mine, contact me and I'll sell it to you for what I paid for it.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
punctuation

On 11/11/2019 at 11:52 PM, iamyourneighbour said:

@Linden Lab

That's quite punitive and LL doesn't like punitive. But it's an interesting idea.

I could note it's not just signs, but various surveillance devices that track avatars passing, vehicles passing, land going for sale, or whatever they track. Some trackers are still there even tho their owners don't maintain the site that used to have the tracking info on it any more. If they used their Charter Account for their microparcel empire, we are SOL as far as getting rid of their signs and trackers.

Again, the solution to the ugliness and intrusiveness and idiocy of signs and trackers and billboards is to have the Lindens run a networked ad board service roadside. It will drive most others out of business. The objection to billboards is that they are ugly and therefore people think the Lindens shouldn't run an ad agency. I would submit that we have ugly billboards ANYWAY and Linden designs are usually tolerable if not great. 

On 11/14/2019 at 6:29 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

When I put up my first ad parcel, I apparently broke almost every possible rule there was. Fortunately, someone posted about it in the forums. I saw it, and was able to fix it and make it conform in every way.

Of course it's not possible to make something physically appealing to everyone, but objectively, they all conform to all the rules regarding networked advertising: one per sim, grounded on the land, no higher than 8 m tall, no spammers or talkers, land access public and object set to phantom, among other things. 

To the person who posted about not wanting my ugly ad in their front yard, if by any chance it IS mine, contact me and I'll sell it to you for what I paid for it.

I think likely it's the fact that your sign says VOTE TRUMP that people object to it. You could make it as pretty as you like, but it can't fix that basic ugliness. Just sayin'

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 11/11/2019 at 8:52 PM, iamyourneighbour said:

So my suggestion to LL is that entities holding less than 512 sqm total in a sim will count as 512 sqm towards tiers, [...]

@Linden Lab

This is already the case - the minimum tier of land-use fees is 512. These people who have less that that for any particular virtual parcel have multiple locations of likewise tiny parcels that add up to the minimum 512 already, and more often a lot more than that.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

This is already the case - the minimum tier of land-use fees is 512. These people who have less that that for any particular virtual parcel have multiple locations of likewise tiny parcels that add up to the minimum 512 already, and more often a lot more than that.

I think the suggestion is that the minimum of 512 apply to each sim. That way, to spread fifty microparcels around the Mainland, each in a different sim, would require 25,600 sq.m. tier -- a bit shy of a half-region. Sounds about right, when I think about it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I think the suggestion is that the minimum of 512 apply to each sim. That way, to spread fifty microparcels around the Mainland, each in a different sim, would require 25,600 sq.m. tier -- a bit shy of a half-region. Sounds about right, when I think about it.

Ahah, okay. I wonder if they could do that on a technical basis. Because if they could, then they (theoretically) could set an "auto-abandon" for owned land when downgrading from Premium and letting it go until expiration date, rather than forcing the abandonment as a requirement to downgrading, regardless of remaining time.

12 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

But isn't what he is saying that *per sim* it will count as 512, i.e. they can't spread their microparcels all around with the one 512.

12 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But isn't what he is saying that *per sim* it will count as 512, i.e. they can't spread their microparcels all around with the one 512.

Yes, this was clarified to me yesterday. Though the more important question to ask is "what could possibly go wrong" with that idea? As they say: be very, very careful what you wish for, you may just get it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.