How to deal with dishonest buyers?

hollowman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Not quite sure what you mean here about silence being an argument by another means.

Oooooh, I get to quote Wilhelm Stekel twice in one day: The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.

Or War Games for the first time today: The only way to win the game is not to play.

Could the difference between Alyona's perspective and yours be that you want the argument to end with two winners?

;-).

Hmmm...well for me it's more that I don't like the experience to be labeled in winner-loser terms, but rather like to think of it as simply an experience that needs to be sorted out.   But yes, I'd also settle for "two winners".

9 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

When there is impasse, let them have the last word.

that would imply a contest had been occurring though....so we're back to the 'winner-loser' dynamic....but yes I have let people have the last word knowing they felt this was 'saving face' for themselves...knowing this is the way they were viewing the interaction..

* Maybe we should specify dynamics with a customer vs dynamics in a debate though.

Edited by Luna Bliss

On 8/22/2019 at 5:32 AM, Alyona Su said:

This is true; and even stronger to leave no response at all because silence is argument by another means.

And the best way to do this is to ignore content by that way you will always respond with blissful silence :)

This works in forums

but in a debate, silence can be felt as hostility.

Edited by Rya Nitely

The reviews page needs to be modified. Under each customer review there should be a section named "Merchant's Comment" as visible as the review itself. Currently merchant's comments are buried in the general comments on the review and many customers don't even notice it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I always try to contact the creator if there's something I really feel was misleading about an item. If I don't hear back after an IM and a notecard, I will leave the negative review with full details about what the issues was (and even then I try to find positive things as well). I've had a couple creators actually update their item to fix the issue in which case I delete the bad review and update it to a positive one. I've also had some just give me a refund with a snotty demand that I remove the review. I usually do so to avoid drama, but I'm always thinking it's a little dishonest if they have no plan to fix the problem.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only valid reason to refund is a double purchase.

If i really feel like i should refund them for any other reason:
I would offer them the chance to choose another item of the same value of my store, this seems to keep everyone happy and costs me nothing but time.

Edited by JUSTUS Palianta
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

I disagree.

5 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

I would offer them the chance to choose another item of the same value of my store, this seems to keep everyone happy and costs me nothing but time.

This. But, when this fails then you need to decide your customer-care priorities: Offering a refund costs you nothing (if purchase is from Market Place, then subtracting LL Commission is fair). Even if it appears to be "customer rip off" - so what? By putting customer satisfaction above all else (even the evil customers who can never be satisfied) pays off in the end. I've even seen bad reviews rebutted in comments by previous customers.

All I'm saying is there is always a "valid reason" for a refund, albeit it should never be the first option, but rather a last resort. Even if it only means you can leave a comment to a bad review that states "I've done all I can to satisfy you, including giving you a refund, what more do you want?"  Because when shopping on Market Place ,(and even in-world,) one of the primary questions most shoppers have is "What is customer support like?" This is one way to show them. :)

@OP - once a customer has been verified to be a dishonest one, block them. They will then no longer be a future customer of yours.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How do you get a refund from a dishonest seller???

I purchased something that is not what I thought it was, it's actually worthless unless you have already bought something else from the same sell. Nowhere on the display was that stated.

All I want is my money back. The item is worthless to me. I'd give it back, but it's no transfer, which is the excuse the dishonest seller gives for why she won't give a refund. But who made it "no transfer"? The seller, of course.

The seller has done nothing to satisfy me. She lost nothing with the sale, so she'd lose nothing by refunding my money.

6 minutes ago, Jenni Carr said:

How do you get a refund from a dishonest seller???

I purchased something that is not what I thought it was, it's actually worthless unless you have already bought something else from the same sell. Nowhere on the display was that stated.

All I want is my money back. The item is worthless to me. I'd give it back, but it's no transfer, which is the excuse the dishonest seller gives for why she won't give a refund. But who made it "no transfer"? The seller, of course.

The seller has done nothing to satisfy me. She lost nothing with the sale, so she'd lose nothing by refunding my money.

1. If the seller decides not to refund, there is nothing you can do. LL will not intervene.

2. Never ever ever buy anything without examining the demo. No demo, no purchase.

3. You can write a review if you bought on the marketplace, but sellers may see it as extortion. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 7:38 PM, hollowman said:

flagged review and after waiting a day I turned to support. I was advised to flag review. omg, of course I flagged it before contacting them! who do they take me for ?! I

Good question! This happens nearly every time I have to have a spurious review removed. 

Jenni, write a factual review that advises other buyers that this product only works with another product

Example: "I am unhappy that the seller doesn't state that this product  requires the purchase of another product for it to function"

don't write what the other product is, that's the seller's job.  Don't write that it is worthless or that the seller is being dishonest. These are subjective statements.  Stating that you are unhappy is non-subjective

what the seller loses in displaying incomplete information is goodwill and sales

if I saw such a review, I wouldn't buy the product

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

Jenni, write a factual review that advises other buyers that this product only works with another product

Example: "I am unhappy that the seller doesn't state that this product  requires the purchase of another product for it to function"

don't write what the other product is, that's the seller's job.  Don't write that it is worthless or that the seller is being dishonest. These are subjective statements.  Stating that you are unhappy is non-subjective

what the seller loses in displaying incomplete information is goodwill and sales

if I saw such a review, I wouldn't buy the product

A surprisingly large percentage of buyers don’t read marketplace or inworld descriptions and info. They look at pictures. One of the most common reasons a review can be removed is that the buyer failed to read the description. Another is the buyer doesn’t have basic understanding of how SL works. I have no idea whether that is the case with Jenni, but I would not be at all surprised if it was.

• Like 3

On 10/9/2019 at 6:48 PM, JUSTUS Palianta said:

If i really feel like i should refund them for any other reason:

Highlighted part.

I almost always refund and say goodbye because I don't have time....and also no stress, and that's important.

Edited by Rya Nitely

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.