Bellisseria Choo-Choo Train Thread

Seba Serpente
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/15/2020 at 1:29 AM, Coby Foden said:

The free Quarry Train works surprisingly well on Bellisseria railroads. 😃

2020-04-15_Train-3.thumb.jpg.650f9da9930235341f0b7f83b7e952c6.jpg

I've been told that Infinity Freight uses different code than the freebie trains that are generally available.  It supposedly never exhibited the "flipping" behavior that so many trains do in Bellisseria.

And, gorgeous pic!  One thing I love about Belli's train routes is the lovely landscaping & region design around them.

• Like 7

Mountains or no, the Log Home continent will be getting trains!  SSP1460 is one of those border regions between Log Home and Victorian areas that will shortly be built out with a mix of the two.  At the southwest corner of it, there is this track leading in from the neighboring Vic region. So far as I know, this intersection at SSP1460 is the only place where track enters LogLand.  Anyone found another such place?

225629745_Loglandtrainroute2.JPG.4759c5535b45e5b1e089250411350bf7.JPG

Presumably this little 3-meter jump will be mitigated somehow, and then the train will be free to run all over LogLand! 

Except for this fact - the only track currently laid in LogLand is at Randelsham Forest.  LL never goes back to rework already settled regions to add track, so presumably all track will be laid in the unbuilt regions.  Will the two sections of track link up?

1278098644_Loglandtrainroutenames.thumb.JPG.81a6ff0d94702eaa1a396efb2546278c.JPG

The red line indicates the 'crow flies' path between SSP1460 and Randelsham: roughly 10.5 regions wide and 6 regions high.  The aqua line shows that a track can indeed be run between the two through unbuilt regions.  Most of those regions will probably host Log Homes in addition to track.  Of course, who knows what the route will actually be - perhaps it will cross Big Bird Lake!  (the long, central vertical lake).  Perhaps track will run along both sides of the lake!  Train aficionados, get your f5 fingers ready to grab Log Homes along the route, as it gets built out!

Because I'll bet the farm that there will be a route between these two points.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Mountains or no, the Log Home continent will be getting trains!  SSP1460 is one of those border regions between Log Home and Victorian areas that will shortly be built out with a mix of the two.  At the southwest corner of it, there is this track leading in from the neighboring Vic region. So far as I know, this intersection at SSP1460 is the only place where track enters LogLand.  Anyone found another such place?

225629745_Loglandtrainroute2.JPG.4759c5535b45e5b1e089250411350bf7.JPG

Presumably this little 3-meter jump will be mitigated somehow, and then the train will be free to run all over LogLand! 

Except for this fact - the only track currently laid in LogLand is at Randelsham Forest.  LL never goes back to rework already settled regions to add track, so presumably all track will be laid in the unbuilt regions.  Will the two sections of track link up?

1278098644_Loglandtrainroutenames.thumb.JPG.81a6ff0d94702eaa1a396efb2546278c.JPG

The red line indicates the 'crow flies' path between SSP1460 and Randelsham: roughly 10.5 regions wide and 6 regions high.  The aqua line shows that a track can indeed be run between the two through unbuilt regions.  Most of those regions will probably host Log Homes in addition to track.  Of course, who knows what the route will actually be - perhaps it will cross Big Bird Lake!  (the long, central vertical lake).  Perhaps track will run along both sides of the lake!  Train aficionados, get your f5 fingers ready to grab Log Homes along the route, as it gets built out!

Because I'll bet the farm that there will be a route between these two points.

I’m hanging on to my lakeside at Cougar Point hoping madly that the train line will go along the strip of land in front of me. I’d love to see it go all the way around the lake & there is certainly enough undeveloped land for that to happen. My fingers are crossed!

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 12:19 AM, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

I'm a noob with this whole train thing but I'm really in for it. So I wanted to try it out and got a pretty nice tram. I've rezzed it in Red Hook and everything went relatively well since it is kinda driving on it's own. But here's the thing I didn't quite understand. At one certain point - Almost at the end of the Victorian area, my train kept flipping around and drove back the way I just came from. It was impossible to drive it further up to "north belli". Is there anything I've missed? 😅

I don't know if any one makes them, but an attachable train would solve the problem.  You know, like a bike.  I ride the tracks with my bike all the time, go where I wanna go via the normal movement arrow keys.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tashi Lisle said:

I’m hanging on to my lakeside at Cougar Point hoping madly that the train line will go along the strip of land in front of me. I’d love to see it go all the way around the lake & there is certainly enough undeveloped land for that to happen. My fingers are crossed!

Oh, I lurked those two southernmost coastal parcels in Cougar Point for weeks!  Right across the water from Randelsham too!  But I was busy RL when it released, oh well :)

Enjoy! 

• Like 2

My partner and I have been out on the rails these last couple of nights, and after diving into the chasm (such a blast!) we strolled on down the rails to the nearby point where they seem to lead into LogLand (SSPE1460).  Which led to another wild speculation as to possible train routes there, all through currently undeveloped regions.  Of course this is just blue-skying, not much attention paid to terrain. The X to the right of Mouse Pond marks a very striking circle of hills, quite high, with obvious access to the east. Possible train station?  Entertainment venue?

402813291_Trainroute2.thumb.JPG.1eb6a445b080b1d72544b7b29b4281e1.JPG

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 6

The Moles have laid out the railroad route from Randelsham to the railway ending in Hawkesblood. The track goes along the east side of the lake and mountains (as shown on the map above). There's also a switch before the connection where a line runs to the south. Nothing laid out to the north of Randelsham yet. BTW, Abnor Mole is putting in temporary roadbed right now.

I wouldn't mind if they put in a line to the west of the lake and river. My house would be very close (around 25 meters) to the track.

Edited by Parhelion Palou
Added bit about Abnor Mole
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I flew the railbeds tonight & it’s going to be fun when it’s finished. I’m hoping for a west line too. There are going to be a few disappointed people though, when they log in & see new homes are about to block their lake views. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that a) I get the train line at my backyard & b) I don’t suddenly find a house there instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tamara Adored said:

There are going to be a few disappointed people though, when they log in & see new homes are about to block their lake views.

True! Abnor's laid out a LOT of new parcels in those SSPE regions.  Goes to show you, in choosing already released parcels next to SSPE-region lakes, it's best to be sure that there isn't a full 32 Meters between the region border and the lake! 

We flew the new green railbed also, and noticed some areas where they could put parcels nestled into hills WITH wonderful water access to Big Bird Lake.  :) There will be potential for GOH to rev up again when those are ready for release!

• Like 6

From SSPE1199 region the green temporary railroad markers continue towards north up to SSPE1212 (at the time of writing this). The markers can be seen in the snapshot below, starting from the left side. I have a house in Axton region facing the still empty SSPE1214 and SSPE1216 regions. Crossing my fingers that the railroad will pass through those regions too.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SSPE1199/196/116/50 

2020-05-16_SSPE1199-Island.thumb.jpg.8dad2aa81841e2d676dc1a05831f3361.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

From SSPE1199 region the green temporary railroad markers continue towards north up to SSPE1212 (at the time of writing this). The markers can be seen in the snapshot below, starting from the left side. I have a house in Axton region facing the still empty SSPE1214 and SSPE1216 regions. Crossing my fingers that the railroad will pass through those regions too.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SSPE1199/196/116/50 

Interesting! Those markers are on the west side of the lake and the ones south of Randelsham Forest are on the east side. I wonder where they'll cross the lake? Still hoping there will be a west side line at SSPE1173. 

I went out to see what's going on. The temporary railbed gets all the way to Randelsham Forest from the south. To the north you can see where they've flattened a mountain on each side of the water to make a very high bridge over an inlet heading north (SSPE1194). On SSPE1188 the markers show the railroad crossing the river connecting two of the lakes to meet up with the railway on the west side. There's an east/west road beside my house that ends at SSPE1173. Across the river there's terraforming for the other end of a bridge over the river leading up to what looks like future parcels there. Some are already marked out to the south. 

At least two of those bridges may be too low for sailboats. 😞

Edited by Parhelion Palou
Added more information
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Interesting! Those markers are on the west side of the lake and the ones south of Randelsham Forest are on the east side. I wonder where they'll cross the lake? Still hoping there will be a west side line at SSPE1173. 

I’m at SSPE1174 & am hoping like crazy the line will be in that area as well. Been sitting on my house for ages (ok, a couple of weeks) waiting to see what happens. Exciting Times!

• Like 1

Pictures from the western bottom end of the lakes up to Randelsham Forest:

114511469_SSPE1167lookingeastintoSSPE1168.thumb.jpg.f800b07461ef8a167629d595eccdeffe.jpg

SSPE1167 looking into SSPE1168, which has the westernmost point at the bottom of the lake(s).

1167743602_SSPE1170lookingeastintoSSPE1171.thumb.jpg.d4727ec6b1a3eec6953ac690efac5287.jpg

SSPE1170 looking into SSPE1171, where the lake goes north.

894273616_SSPE1171lookingnorthintoSSPE1172.thumb.jpg.d3c4780d7c4a1d44e9e6a1436888ad09.jpg

SSPE1171 looking north into SSPE1172

719361593_NorthernSSPE1172andSSPE1173lookingnorth.thumb.jpg.3b53a65b3c75b29272be47a8b4f96139.jpg

The northern end of SSPE172 and SSPE1173. It doesn't seem likely that the railway can go down the west side. With roads for the new parcels there's really not room for a railway.

325548980_LookingdownonSSPE1173.thumb.jpg.548368f1abb57b65107c3ee7cc833a65.jpg

Looking down at SSPE1173 and part of SSPE1174. The center part of the mountains have been flattened. There's room for a couple houses (so far). The road by my house now has a connecting point on the east side so the road can go up to the houses. The bridge there can't be very high.

505041198_SSPE1174and1175takeRRintoRandelsham.thumb.jpg.6cebf7fa44e65ace176451edca9b61bf.jpg

Finally, SSPE1174 to the left and SSPE1175 to the right get the railway into Randelsham Forest.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I went looking for a place north of Randelsham where train tracks cross from the west side of the lake to the east.  I didn't find it, but I did find these contributions from @Naughty Mole and @Moonstruck Mole in and around SSPE1194!  The spaceport and your motha are on the west side of the lake, and elvis is on the peak of the island.  If he has to be anywhere, I'm sure he would choose to be on top of SOMETHING.

1232536507_SSPE1194spaceport.JPG.cf7c5196f0dca52851e7263a056c1a94.JPG

601232178_SSPE1194Yourmotha.JPG.8f792ff89dc4c0ac97ed49d323bdbec8.JPG

609336281_SSPE1194Elvis.JPG.67c1756f7272599a4bd3e9262db704a2.JPG

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

At least two of those bridges may be too low for sailboats. 😞

I lived in Millers Pond for quite a while, with lovely low brick bridges along the short canal between the pond and the open sea.  There was a rez zone right opposite our home, and I had a phantom copy of my tall-masted Bandit all ready to go in my inventory.  Works great unless one of your guests feels compelled to stand up and walk around the boat!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

I lived in Millers Pond for quite a while, with lovely low brick bridges along the short canal between the pond and the open sea.  There was a rez zone right opposite our home, and I had a phantom copy of my tall-masted Bandit all ready to go in my inventory.  Works great unless one of your guests feels compelled to stand up and walk around the boat!

That's a great idea. It turns out I don't need to use it this time. My alt's Bandit 25R has a phantom mast. My Dixie Belle steamboat is solid when inactive but goes phantom when running. Though it's a little over 17 meters above the waterline, it will go through the bridges just fine.

• Like 4

On 2/13/2020 at 2:38 PM, Alyona Su said:

Train-crash at region crossings is very rare (even on the crusty-rusty-rickety-old SL RR track in Heterocera). You may want to try a different train with more up-to-date scripts and lower LI as that can be the only plausible reason you'd experience this in Belliserria. Just a suggestion, nothing more. :)

On what I have seen, most of the available train scripting is pretty old, maybe 2015, and there are features of the the new continent's system which make some SLRR features unusable.

As far as I can tell, it is only possible to operate single vehicles on the line. Because of the permissions used on the SLRR, it is possible for a train to be multiple vehicles, most following the locomotive. That works on the SLRR but it's the big weakness at region crossings. Because the Belliseria railroad doesn't have the track as a distinct parcel with the normal SLRR permissions, these vehicle cannot work.

The Quarry Freight train that people are showing off uses a different technology, a single vehicle which bends in the middle. It works well, SLRR or otherwise, but it's rather limited. The same tech applied to something in the style of the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway, passenger and freight traffic, would look rather good. Waxen Works did some SLRR-standard models for this.

This web page has some photos of the real-world rolling stock. https://www.lner.info/co/GER/wisbech/stock.php

I am slowly struggling through the train-scripting, trying to understand how it works, to produce some decent mesh models which run as a single articulated vehicle. Something such as a GWR 48xx locomotive with an autocoach would look pretty good. It wouldn't even need to flip, they could be driven from the far end of the coach.

6859903428_d361e97ddf_b.thumb.jpg.0e29287e08b39fc9176243fcd5d9535e.jpg

We really need a mole with a top hat...

• Like 7

Earlier in this thread, I made a "wild speculation" post about the possibility of an extended rail line wrapping around the LogHome coastline, and through the horizontal swath of open SSPE lands.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/440334-bellisseria-choo-choo-train-thread/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-2117453

Update: I don't believe that will be happening.  Home parcels placed yesterday west of Mouse Pond appear to leave no room for rail.

781097395_MouseLakehouses.thumb.JPG.175ccaaabb413641f7dd6cb543eaa3fc.JPG

And down south in SSPE1457, where the rail line has been extended to the coastal mountains, it looks like it will end there.   The green block at the end of Abnor's "dummy" railbed pretty much says "end of line", and the roads and parcels leave no room for a turn.  

It's still quite a long railroad!  Perhaps the makers of the Quarry train can be persuaded to make a log transport :)  In true GTFO fashion, it would be cool to be able to unload a bunch of logs into a big raft on the lake somewhere, and bring them down to a terminus.  Ah well, I suppose that can be built on mainland, if it hasn't been already!

1261675104_EndofrailSSPE1457.JPG.83d62f4eac0a2d66aab50331ed75da33.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 3:31 AM, arabellajones said:

On what I have seen, most of the available train scripting is pretty old, maybe 2015, and there are features of the the new continent's system which make some SLRR features unusable.

The same tech applied to something in the style of the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway, passenger and freight traffic, would look rather good. Waxen Works did some SLRR-standard models for this.

I am slowly struggling through the train-scripting, trying to understand how it works, to produce some decent mesh models which run as a single articulated vehicle. Something such as a GWR 48xx locomotive with an autocoach would look pretty good. It wouldn't even need to flip, they could be driven from the far end of the coach.

We really need a mole with a top hat...

Thank you for your post!  If you run across any other trains with newer, more robust scripts, I'd love to know who makes them!

That photo looks great.  Re: the flipping, do you mean it could simply be driven backwards, without flipping?  There's one juncture in Quercus Alba where I routinely flip the train.  If you come up to Quercus going north through Phelps Place, it joins with the east/west line there, and you end up going west.  I often continue that into the next region, then flip the train & come back, hit the switch and continue straight east, eventually going over the bridge into Thunderhead.  I hope that's OK to do.  With a train like that you describe, you wouldn't necessarily flip the train, you'd just drive it backwards?

Oh, and Maximus may be the mole you need:

349753962_Mole3-MaximusMole.jpg.cc50fdd6

Edited by Nika Talaj
east, west, whatever
  • Like 1

Yes, that particular example was built by the Great Western Railway, in England, other companies did the same thing. There was a driving compartment at the far end of the coach, from where the driver (US: Engineer) could control the train, while the fireman stayed in the locomotive. There's a good description of it all here https://www.svrwiki.com/GWR_238_Autotrailer_Third

As for stovepipe hats... There is a song...

Brunel

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Here is a useful list of Bellisseria railway stations from one end of the line to the other. 

It would be cool to see a Bellisseria railway map of all the stations/ rez zones

Last updated: 7th July 2020

---------------------------------------------------------

Red Hook (end of line)
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Red Hook/95/141/32

Shallow Springs
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Shallow Springs/169/232/55

Chippewa Junction (big station)
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Chippewa Junction/105/145/64

Somerville
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Somerville/250/54/32

The Beaten Path
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/The Beaten Path/97/82/30

Campwich Forest
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Campwich Forest/78/56/40

Deermoor
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Deermoor/81/52/29

Hawkesblood
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hawkesblood/81/3/47

Randelsham Forest (end of line for now)
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Randelsham Forest/149/96/69

---------------------------------------------------------

New railway stations will be added soon to this list. There is a green line going through the expansion area (towards the east) which is where the estimated railway track will be completed.  

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.