Bellisseria Choo-Choo Train Thread

Seba Serpente
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

28 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Ah, OK, so there's no real reason for LL and the moles to have to consult any of them, then. 

if mole train is going to run autonomous - nope - if users should be able to run their own engines on the tracks however...

@moles if it runs autonomous though an animesh engineer would make the ghost trains look much more friendly ;)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

if mole train is going to run autonomous - nope - if users should be able to run their own engines on the tracks however...

@moles if it runs autonomous though an animesh engineer would make the ghost trains look much more friendly ;)

That sounds like a lot to ask but atleast a contour shadow of someone would do.. have the cab dark enough.

Anyway, i don't think a non-open to public train is a good idea. I will strongly suggest an open source system that can be used by others as well, but have an automatic train running  as well, giving enough time interval in between for other kind of traffic, or perhaps a slightly more complex system that would actually stop or signal trains if a section of track is occupied.

VRC and RTCSL help look after the SLRR and help residents have fun on the tracks. My group which is RTCSL helps new residents discover the main SLRR network of 100 sims, teach others how to operate trains, help with train builders on how the SLRR works so that their trains will work on the network, check all 140 sims if they are online or not so railroaders know what sims to avoid when riding the tracks. Put in tickets when a switch is broken. Basically i do alot on the SLRR under the RTCSL name.
I really dont know what the VRC has been doing lately, they been very quiet for the past year.

btw the extra 40 is other railroads like bay city, Zeny zen railroad, ONSR, the 4 premium railroad sims, GSLR abd the old WARR line since Mike Linden laid down some tracks up to Grote

Edited by VenKellie
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. I have never heard of RTCSL, though of course I have heard of VRC (and am a member of that group). I suspect that LL and the moles will  prefer to do their work on any tracks unhindered by resident opinions and demands, as we have seen with their work in other areas of Bellisseria.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this is relevant, but on SSPE185 there is a railroad station, tracks, a water tower, and a Tactical Nuke - all placed there by the Moles. Also some other random things (camels, a goat and a rail handcar).

I have no idea if they are the beginning of something, or just the moles having fun.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Thanks for the info. I have never heard of RTCSL, though of course I have heard of VRC (and am a member of that group). I suspect that LL and the moles will  prefer to do their work on any tracks unhindered by resident opinions and demands, as we have seen with their work in other areas of Bellisseria.

I don't beleive that resident opinion is an obstruction. Would be quite ignorant if they take decissions without taking resident opinion in consideration, after all, residents are the clients and users, they are at the client service.

It is no new practice to consult SL userbase when it comes new projects and changes, specially things that at the end, will be for people to directly work with. One example that comes to mind is Bento, where Linden Lab consulted a number of creators to have a better understanding of what kind of bones would be the ideal to introduce. An open source train like the SLRR is a product that people will directly work with, and is quite expected to see some cooperation with the community there.

Edited by Seba Serpente

34 minutes ago, Seba Serpente said:

I don't beleive that resident opinion is an obstruction. Would be quite ignorant if they take decissions without taking resident opinion in consideration, after all, residents are the clients and users, they are at the client service.

It is no new practice to consult SL userbase when it comes new projects and changes, specially things that at the end, will be for people to directly work with. One example that comes to mind is Bento, where Linden Lab consulted a number of creators to have a better understanding of what kind of bones would be the ideal to introduce. An open source train like the SLRR is a product that people will directly work with, and is quite expected to see some cooperation with the community there.

It certainly can be an obstruction if it becomes harassment. :)

At any rate, I'm sure if they need help, they will let people know. Apparently they don't feel help is needed at this time. (Or perhaps they have been speaking with VRC folks?)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

It certainly can be an obstruction if it becomes harassment. :)

At any rate, I'm sure if they need help, they will let people know. Apparently they don't feel help is needed at this time. (Or perhaps they have been speaking with VRC folks?)

My best bet: They just want to move forward and get something together, regardless if it fills expectations or not.

Edited by Seba Serpente

15 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Well, spank me with a wet noodle and call me Sally.  Who knew?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Premium_Railway

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Premium_Sea

I wonder if these regions are in any way precursors to a 'railroad' theme.

These have been here for a very long time (at least a year or two or three...) - Premium Access-Only regions. Bibian (high-volume train set creator) goes there all the time to beta-test her newest stuff. And I like to go there for photography because it has a wonderful "Winter Wonderland" look to it. Here is a snap of me playing there and I *DID* say I have the Orient Express, right?:

SLRR 04

And my Diesel monster:

SLRR 02

Though I will use this opportunity to add another of my constant nagging to PROMISE @Patch Linden that I will not pollute all of Bellisseria with diesel oil and smoke if we ever get SLRR train tracks, HONEST AND FOR TRUE!
~palms together "pretty please" hand-gesture with hush-puppy eyes~

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

These have been here for a very long time (at least a year or two or three...) - Premium Access-Only regions. Bibian (high-volume train set creator) goes there all the time to beta-test her newest stuff. And I like to go there for photography because it has a wonderful "Winter Wonderland" look to it. Here is a snap of me playing there and I *DID* say I have the Orient Express, right?:

SLRR 04

And my Diesel monster:

SLRR 02

Though I will use this opportunity to add another of my constant nagging to PROMISE @Patch Linden that I will not pollute all of Bellisseria with diesel oil and smoke if we ever get SLRR train tracks, HONEST AND FOR TRUE!
~palms together "pretty please" hand-gesture with hush-puppy eyes~

LOL if they do put tracks in bellesaria i hope they restrict train traffic to electric engine trains only like the new light rail trams we been seeing roll out throughout the real life world. Example: Blackpool UK, Toronto Ontario Canada.

10 minutes ago, VenKellie said:

LOL if they do put tracks in bellesaria i hope they restrict train traffic to electric engine trains only like the new light rail trams we been seeing roll out throughout the real life world. Example: Blackpool UK, Toronto Ontario Canada.

I have those also. Though they would require caternary over the tracks for any kind of realism (I've removed my catenary linkages from my trams so they don't look silly on Heterocera) - those would add a lot of LI to each track section, I would think. 

When I first heard about the possibility of a train in Bellisseria, I thought it sounded cool.

If nothing else, this thread has shown me that I don't want one and it would be a huge headache for the Lindens and Moles because every decision they make about it is going to be picked to shreds by the "experts". 

I'd rather see some peace than see Bellisseria overrun by disgruntled transportation "advisers" trying to shoulder their way into the decision making processes for the continent. 

@Patch Linden, abort mission. 

tumblr_inline_p7r4r1bbLx1rfdif4_540.gif.afc4d0123537f9764f12e447a418dfdf.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

When I first heard about the possibility of a train in Bellisseria, I thought it sounded cool.

If nothing else, this thread has shown me that I don't want one and it would be a huge headache for the Lindens and Moles because every decision they make about it is going to be picked to shreds by the "experts". 

I'd rather see some peace than see Bellisseria overrun by disgruntled transportation "advisers" trying to shoulder their way into the decision making processes for the continent. 

@Patch Linden, abort mission.

Let's let LL decide, yes?  LL & train enthusiasts have collaborated for a long, long time.  And, together, created some pretty cool things. Heterocera seems none the worse for its trains.

There are a LOT of pretty houses and pools and gardens and pickles in Belli.  I could live with a little variety.  Trains, space stations, water buffalo burlesque.  Bring it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

Not like that at all. The "specs" are already in place and have been for years. Everyone I know who do the trains thing are pretty laid-back about it. Basically, it's a lot like lying roads down (in terms of any "rules" or anything) - though it's a little more complicated than that. But generally, from the resident perspective: you just Rez a train (the same as a car or airplane, etc) and start driving along. Nothing else about it. Parcels next to tracks on Heterocera are considered "premium" locations just as those next to roads or water. :)

7 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Let's let LL decide, yes?  LL & train enthusiasts have collaborated for a long, long time.  And, together, created some pretty cool things. Heterocera seems none the worse for its trains.

There are a LOT of pretty houses and pools and gardens and pickles in Belli.  I could live with a little variety.  Trains, space stations, water buffalo burlesque.  Bring it!

Agreed - nagging Patch and all that stuff is just for fun. If they do decide to lay-out any kind of RR tracks then great, if not then it's no big deal. If they do, then surely we are hopeful it will be SLRR-compatible and even one, single train Rez-zone for the entire continent would be okay (though I would hope at least one at one end and a second at the pother end).

Either way, as with *everything* LL-Created and desired, we are all basically exercising Sears Wishbook "imagination" here. LOL (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Wish_Book.) :D

• Like 1

Here is the problem. Roads are not scripted. You put them there and people can use it hoever they can. yhey dont really need maintenance or updating.

However, trains workings are extremely linked to the way the tracks are made and designed, and sadly, people have no control on what these tracks allows you to do, the technical limits, and the features that are available for creators to use. That is all on Linden Lab, and the best way to enable creators and enthusiasts to make use of these tracks, is to listen and develop the system and the tools, to enable others to create and use it.

Problem with the SLRR is that is old, is extremely limited, and makes impossible to have many great features and a better user experience. There could be extremely realistic and pleasing to use trains, but is just not plausible with the rails limitations, which are not technical, they are just missing by design, and the only way to ensure a new generation for an SLRR to live to the expectations, and have the features and tools needed for the community, is to ask the community. They are the ones that use it constantly, they are the ones that knows the flaws, whats missing, and what is needed to make it better.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.