Jump to content

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Scylla posted about it already too; so, now it's my turn to be curious, and I'm really going to have to see what this 'AM Radio' thingy is all about. 😃

Sadly, you're about ten years late. I think all that's left is The Far Away, which someone else has kept running.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The thing with the Far Away, is that this is how the world looks in my RL situation on the plains! There is a beauty here that many can't see -- they say there's nothing there -- call it "fly over country". But A.M. did a great job of showing the beauty  :)

* Sadly though, the old time farm machinery dotting the fields here and there, rusting into oblivion, is disappearing.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Scylla posted about it already too; so, now it's my turn to be curious, and I'm really going to have to see what this 'AM Radio' thingy is all about. 😃

There are several flickr groups with pictures of his works. Not as good as visiting but it'll give you an idea.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kiramanell said:

Scylla posted about it already too; so, now it's my turn to be curious, and I'm really going to have to see what this 'AM Radio' thingy is all about. 😃

Oh Kira, I wish you could. I wish we ALL could.

As Akane notes, there are a ton of pics online. I think some of his installations appear in a large number of machinima too. This one is by AM Radio himself; unfortunately, it only shows some of his earlier creations:

 

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Cyberpunk is a kind of sci-fi apocalyptic vision, where machines have taken over after the crash of capitalism.

   Cyberpunk isn't apocalyptic - it's dystopian. Most Cyberpunk settings are very much dependent on capitalism representing an authoritarian oligarchy, and the most common theme in that setting is exploring the value of humanitarian ideals and individual expression, or even at what point artificial intelligence is near human enough that it deserves empathy.

   Apocalyptic science fiction explores the downfall of civilization, whether through internal (politics, religion, war, economy) or external (aliens, natural disasters, pandemics, zombies) forces and how humanity reacts and struggles for survival.

   Post-apocalyptic science fiction takes place after an apocalyptic event (think Mad Max, Waterworld, Terminator, Fallout), these are often divided into either Steelpunk or Atompunk.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh Kira, I wish you could. I wish we ALL could.

As Akane notes, there are a ton of pics online. I think some of his installations appear in a large number of machinima too. This one is by AM Radio himself; unfortunately, it only shows some of his earlier creations:

 

 

Aww, dangit, that was TRULY beautiful. Thank you for sharing that! ❤️

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Aww, dangit, that was TRULY beautiful. Thank you for sharing that! ❤️

I think it's fair to say that when AM Radio first appeared on the scene -- and I think The Faraway was his first full installation -- no one had ever seen anything like his stuff. First, there was the craftsmanship: his builds were so detailed, so beautifully rendered. And remember this was pre-mesh and pre-ALM. You could (and I did) happily spend an hour camming over a part of one of his vignettes and just taking in the beauty that he imparted to even the simplest objects, like a hammer or a magnifying glass.

But much more than that, they were incredibly evocative. They sort of exploded with an inarticulate emotional punch. You weren't sure why they made you a little melancholy, or thoughtful, or nostalgic . . . you just knew that they powerfully evoked all of those things, and more.

His various installations were often linked thematically too, and there were repeating motifs, like the radio, and the telescope, and butterflies, each of which alluded to something you'd seen earlier, but which had new meanings and significances in the context of the new installation. And there were hints of a mysterious narrative, that also ran as a seam through all of his installations: little bits of writing here and there, on windows or scraps of paper, which gestured towards, perhaps, lost love, or just a lost opportunity.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think it's fair to say that when AM Radio first appeared on the scene -- and I think The Faraway was his first full installation -- no one had ever seen anything like his stuff. First, there was the craftsmanship: his builds were so detailed, so beautifully rendered. And remember this was pre-mesh and pre-ALM. You could (and I did) happily spend an hour camming over a part of one of his vignettes and just taking in the beauty that he imparted to even the simplest objects, like a hammer or a magnifying glass.

But much more than that, they were incredibly evocative. They sort of exploded with an inarticulate emotional punch. You weren't sure why they made you a little melancholy, or thoughtful, or nostalgic . . . you just knew that they powerfully evoked all of those things, and more.

His various installations were often linked thematically too, and there were repeating motifs, like the radio, and the telescope, and butterflies, each of which alluded to something you'd seen earlier, but which had new meanings and significances in the context of the new installation. And there were hints of a mysterious narrative, that also ran as a seam through all of his installations: little bits of writing here and there, on windows or scraps of paper, which gestured towards, perhaps, lost love, or just a lost opportunity.

 

Now you're just trying to make me cry, don't ya? 😢 You succeeded.... but in a good way, of course. And I'm saying this from the bottom of my heart, I wish ppl would have rallied to save 'AM Radio' for you, back when. 🤗 So much wonderful stuff gets lost, like teardrops in the rain. 😶 But I thank you again for telling this story; and if I close my eyes, I can almost feel like I'm there.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

 But I thank you again for telling this story; and if I close my eyes, I can almost feel like I'm there.

/me slaps kiramanell gently but decidedly over the head.

Are you crazy ? They're just trying to make you feel the same melancholy towards Hangars Liquides. already.Like nothing can be done no more.

Hangars Liquides is still there. It should not surrender like that.

 

( But admitted .. those are fine examples of beauty regrettably lost to SL forever )

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TDD123 said:

Are you crazy ? They're just trying to make you feel the same melancholy towards Hangars Liquides. already.Like nothing can be done no more.

Who is? Really?

Or maybe, just maybe, the loss of AM Radio's installations is a lesson in why we need to work to preserve the things in SL we love?

I say this in genuine good will, TDD: stop treating this subject as though it's adversarial. You're beginning to sound mildly paranoid about it.

Take the high road. Focus on the positive. You don't need to convince everyone that HL is "art" or even that it's worth saving. What you do need to do is reach out to, and connect with, those who love it, or those who would love it if they visited it. People respond better to a passion that articulates itself in positive ways.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think it's fair to say that when AM Radio first appeared on the scene -- and I think The Faraway was his first full installation -- no one had ever seen anything like his stuff. First, there was the craftsmanship: his builds were so detailed, so beautifully rendered. And remember this was pre-mesh and pre-ALM. You could (and I did) happily spend an hour camming over a part of one of his vignettes and just taking in the beauty that he imparted to even the simplest objects, like a hammer or a magnifying glass.

But much more than that, they were incredibly evocative. They sort of exploded with an inarticulate emotional punch. You weren't sure why they made you a little melancholy, or thoughtful, or nostalgic . . . you just knew that they powerfully evoked all of those things, and more.

His various installations were often linked thematically too, and there were repeating motifs, like the radio, and the telescope, and butterflies, each of which alluded to something you'd seen earlier, but which had new meanings and significances in the context of the new installation. And there were hints of a mysterious narrative, that also ran as a seam through all of his installations: little bits of writing here and there, on windows or scraps of paper, which gestured towards, perhaps, lost love, or just a lost opportunity.

AM just sort of slipped in, did his thing while no one was looking, then slipped back out to watch. Some amazing things were done with sculpts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

 What you do need to do is reach out to, and connect with, those who love it, or those who would love it if they visited it. People respond better to a passion that articulates itself in positive ways.

I need not to do anythinbg of the sort anymore. I tried. Got ridiculed. Sneered at. All over the thread. I repeatedly told this was from an end user perspective, not affiliated with the sim ( which I am now by donations ). I was never their spokesperson to begin with.

Maybe the passion for landbusiness and profitmargins and everything it destroys could be lessened as well. Not hearing anything about that either.

I tried Scylla. And I simply give up.

But thanks for the lead in. I have no more business in these forums. And I will never return. It's over for me.

Goodbye.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

For me it's a near miss...
703499209_BuzzingTheQuiet.thumb.png.29e7502ef675d2959e1ee0977905816c.png

It was only a near miss for an instant of time, I believe. Your aircraft is upside down, and even a pilot of your unquestioned skill and agility would be hard pressed to fly out of that situation.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

I need not to do anythinbg of the sort anymore. I tried. Got ridiculed. Sneered at. All over the thread. I repeatedly told this was from an end user perspective, not affiliated with the sim ( which I am now by donations ). I was never their spokesperson to begin with.

Maybe the passion for landbusiness and profitmargins and everything it destroys could be lessened as well. Not hearing anything about that either.

I tried Scylla. And I simply give up.

But thanks for the lead in. I have no more business in these forums. And I will never return. It's over for me.

Goodbye.

That's your call, of course. Forums -- even reasonably tame ones, like this -- can be difficult to navigate; finding your voice and your place in a community this diverse takes time. It took me months to find my place when I first appeared on the old RA forums.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry to hear it.

Be well, wherever you end up.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

It was only a near miss for an instant of time, I believe. Your aircraft is upside down, and even a pilot of your unquestioned skill and agility would be hard pressed to fly out of that situation.

All pilots know that any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

All pilots know that any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

   And any landing where you can take off again is a great landing.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

1586993435_QuietCrash.thumb.png.22d2922c1133c0c4a254baf511c5e0a2.png

Oh sure. Put the blame on Snugs.

ETA: I just noticed Ms P. back there. You were lucky to escape relatively intact.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Who is? Really?

Or maybe, just maybe, the loss of AM Radio's installations is a lesson in why we need to work to preserve the things in SL we love?

I say this in genuine good will, TDD: stop treating this subject as though it's adversarial. You're beginning to sound mildly paranoid about it.

Take the high road. Focus on the positive. You don't need to convince everyone that HL is "art" or even that it's worth saving. What you do need to do is reach out to, and connect with, those who love it, or those who would love it if they visited it. People respond better to a passion that articulates itself in positive ways.

 

^^ Very much this! No, I haven't written HL off yet; but, in the feels department, so to speak, 'being gone', and 'on the verge of being gone' are remarkably close. And yes, when I read your story about AM Radio, I really do feel the pangs of loss -- even when I wasn't there for it. That is why I paraphrased Rutger Hauer just now, from Blade Runner (Rutger died the other day, btw, and, since he was Dutch, I figured he deserved the small salute). It's one of the most poetic scenes in the entire movie: just before drawing his last breath, he has compassion, not just for his own losses, but for that of humanity as a whole, and decides to let the Blade Runner live, saying these majestic words "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain... Time to die." Still gives me the chils.

I very much like to see HL preserved; but way I figure this, if I cannot feel for the losses of others, how can I ever expect them to care about mine?! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

AM just sort of slipped in, did his thing while no one was looking, then slipped back out to watch.

And maybe he didn't even watch. I love this way of doing things. It's like parking meter cozies that mysteriously appear overnight, the Gnomist or the UK Book Sculptor. The mystery is part of the art.

In my own, low brow way, I do my part. In my teens, I made a crop circle. I add red reflective noses to deer crossing signs on my trips across America, and I put googly eyes on whatever pleases me. I build snowmen on other people's lawns during the wee hours and write the names of the neighborhood children on stones I find on the beach. The trails through my woods are filled with oddities for the finding, all suggestive of creatures who live there but can't be seen.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Cyberpunk isn't apocalyptic - it's dystopian.

Yes I think you're right, cyberpunk usually is more dystopian than apocalyptic, although I do see some cyberpunk/apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic combinations in  both literature and visual representations. It's really not a genre I'm very familiar with. I can only say, for me, such an environment could only occur after an apocalyptic event that destroyed what is most fundamental to the earth and the beauty within, because it's so dark and devoid of the nature that I love.

There is a beauty in darkness, perhaps because it reminds us of what can happen if we don't attend to the beauty of what we have now.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

/me slaps kiramanell gently but decidedly over the head.

Are you crazy ? They're just trying to make you feel the same melancholy towards Hangars Liquides. already.Like nothing can be done no more.

Hangars Liquides is still there. It should not surrender like that.

( But admitted .. those are fine examples of beauty regrettably lost to SL forever )

 

Well, you know what they say, right? "It ain't over til the fat lady sings." :) Still 7 more days left to raise the money needed.

And I really hope you're not leaving the forum. Parts of this thread have been way out of my normal comfort zone too; but I still hang(ars) in there (Lord, thay must the lamest pun I made in weeks, LOL). And so can you. You don't have to, of course; but you've been very passionate about HL: and that's another thing I'd hate to see lost.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the most beautiful part of the Far Away landscape for me?  It's how the Earth would look if all the cr*p man put on the Earth was gone -- all that would remain would be a few broken down structures/machines -- returning to nature once again.

For me, 'man' has ruined the beautiful Earth.  How's everyone doing as they cook at 110 degrees today btw?     :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...