[Answered] Why not a waitlist/queue...?

PetitOurs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A lot of good answers and a few extremely unproductive ones, thanks guys :)  Makes sense

If the servers cant handle the Bellisseria refreshes and people want the peace of mind, why not sign up for the kind of home you want and wait for it to be allocated? I think everyone could breathe easier.

Edited by PetitOurs
Question was answered
  • Thanks 1

Before I signed up on a list to specify a theme I wanted, I'd want to know what the remaining themes are going to be, and would want to see samples of them, so that I could make an informed choice about which home theme (or list) I wanted to wait for.  Especially if the lists were going to be the only way to get one, and I think that if lists were to be implemented than they should be used for reallocating the abandoned homes as well.   

Actually, I think what LL has done to control server load is really rather elegant.  It was very simple for them to do, so didn't impede Belli rollout; it eliminated the mini-DDOS that we all were mounting on the land page; it made a stab toward leveling the playing field by making getting a Belli home less about the performance of your PC, network and fingers, and more simply a matter of luck.  Certainly not perfect, no claims for total fairness etc.., but bang-for-buck, rather nice.

Even a little nice for those who were having success but had trapped themselves in an endless search for the perfect parcel, giving them an opportunity to free themselves from the auto-refresh grind.

As for a list or a lottery, or both the land page and some sort of new home subscription, the simplest answer for you is that it has been discussed ad nauseum in the forums and inworld, and it

just

ain't

happening.

Regardless of the merits, LL has been consistently conveying that they will not be taking time to do a different home allocation method, often referring to hidden complexities.  Looking at the threads so far about it, everyone seems to mean something a little different by "list" or "lottery".  Unclear that it would make the bulk of residents any happier.

• Like 13

47 minutes ago, PetitOurs said:

If the servers cant handle the Bellisseria refreshes and people want the peace of mind, why not sign up for the kind of home you want and wait for it to be allocated? I think everyone could breathe easier.

New forum poster, that hasn't come back to comment on their own thread.

Obviously a troll post.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

In my opinion, a more orderly method would diffuse anger. People would likely still be grumpy, but with an orderly process, you don’t need to do anything further after the signup. This would relieve anxiety and reduce the obsessiveness. Just my opinion. And I don’t buy the hidden issues. I have demonstrated that a random drawing isn’t a big project and a waiting list would only require a few hours of a Linden’s time each week to manage.

• Like 1

Sorry folks - please calm down. No normal person can know those threads ever existed if their half-life duration is even too short for google to pick them up. I have a totally revolutionary proposal: Maybe we could keep the verbal abuse down a bit and they might survive longer?

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Trinity1776 said:

And I don’t buy the hidden issues. I have demonstrated that a random drawing isn’t a big project and a waiting list would only require a few hours of a Linden’s time each week to manage.

You have demonstrated from the view of a Web Developer and your own work experience.  Has that experience included working on the SL code?  If not, then your demonstration is not valid.

Anyone in IT with even a bit of brains knows that every system is different with its own quirks.  And any system written more than a decade ago, with lots of changes done to it over the years, will have all sorts of spaghetti code in it that is not so easy to change or just plug things into.

Also, anyone in IT worth anything knows that they most definitely do not know everything about everything.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Sequoia Sojourner said:

What was in their groups?

I have a "stop SL sex pac" that Im assuming theyre talking about because its funny. Not seeing how its relevant to my question here, though. First time poster because this is the first thing I've cared about.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It’s nice that Patch said they are working on selection options for the website.

But did streamline mean a new method of obtaining, or a faster method of getting through the accepting process?

That's what i'm wondering.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PetitOurs said:
32 minutes ago, Sequoia Sojourner said:

What was in their groups?

I have a "stop SL sex pac" that Im assuming theyre talking about because its funny. Not seeing how its relevant to my question here, though. First time poster because this is the first thing I've cared about.

Haha, well don't let two people accusing you of trolling by researching you inworld right off the bat, also and saying your idea should be in the "Flush your great idea down the toilet here" thread keep you from posting. We're actually a friendly group here don't you think?   😜

Edited by Sequoia Sojourner
  • Like 2

I had been away from checking for a few days and did 10 refreshes and got the message. It wont go back to the normal home selection until the timer is up now.  A waiting list would have been nice but that apparently won't work. The new homes are actually an exclusive area now and have polarized residents between the haves and have nots. Whoever thought of this should get a medal for marketing for having  created such a hot virtual product , and the builders may have helped a little to .......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sequoia Sojourner said:

Haha, well don't let two people accusing you of trolling by researching you inworld right off the bat, also and saying your idea should be in the "Flush your great idea down the toilet here" thread keep you from posting. We're actually a friendly group here don't you think?   😜

Most seem to be! It scared me at first, but I dont know what I was expecting. I work in a field of tech and we have the mindset of always optimizing tools and finding the best solution. Granted, that means tools always change and its a headache, but it can be a time saver. I hadnt seen it posted before, and I definitely look at all the Bellisseria  posts I see, but as you can see, Im kinda new and pretty much stick to the pinned post on the topic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PetitOurs said:

I suspect the critics of this post had wish they posted it first , since they offer nothing but the usual generic criticisms of which no one is surprised.

1 minute ago, LiteHouse said:

I suspect the critics of this post had wish they posted it first , since they offer nothing but the usual generic criticisms of which no one is surprised.

no - actually there have been at least 3 similar threads before all torpedoed into deletion by people who already had a home* ... 

*don't ask me for the logics on that please - just my observation

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, PetitOurs said:

I hadnt seen it posted before, and I definitely look at all the Bellisseria  posts I see

the idea of a waitlist/queue/lottery lists has come up quite a lot on here.. All the various methods, whay and what fors have been been discussed in depth as well

you don't see many of them as they often turn into a circle of doom, between those who think lists would be good for them, and others who think not.  Which then results in the whole thread being deleted by the moderators

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

no - actually there have been at least 3 similar threads before all torpedoed into deletion by people who already had a home* ... 

*don't ask me for the logics on that please - just my observation

Nah, that makes its own brand of sense. "I had to be lucky and struggle, and so should you."

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.