"Linden Dollar assessment"?

coreyfaure

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would like to say; thank you to everyone who has been proactive in reporting one day old avatar's being gifted purchases by another avatar. Personally, every time I see these posts and names. I immediately block both of them and I am happy to say, I haven't had to deal with assessment charge backs. Kudos to all of you for keeping the rest of us informed of what is being purchased and by whom. I am mournful of your losses and yet hopeful that @Kristin Linden  team continues to support us by returning the assessments.

Another person has informed us of three more MP stores with suspicious activity. I have done my diligence in reading and researching the marketplace policy. I don't see a way to possibly alert Linden Labs to an entire store in need of investigating. The only good option; and what I've done; is flag the entire store as - spam or disallowed listing practice then harmful or disruptive content because that is exactly what it is and it ALL deserves to be looked at.

I feel bad for the team who deals with the flags because that is A LOT of flags to investigate. I believe I am not alone in feeling these "flags" are sorely lacking in offering us options. I will continue to be an advocate for a store flag option. As someone once said, this option could be used to get rid of competition. Well, my reply is; all flags could be considered the same. And by abusing the MP policy anyone risks losing their MP by doing it. I feel it would be productive to offer this flag as an option and lessen the Linden team workload on us flagged an entire store item by item.

I didn't flag these entire stores to make the Flag team's workload harder, but to be helpful in cleaning up the MP. And I surely didn't do it to abuse the MP policy. Unfortunately, I missed the last web meeting and I apologize if this was covered but I felt it needed to be said again. In the end, we are trying to help you; Linden Labs. Help us to help you.

I am also curious to see how long it takes these flags to be noticed and morose these stores shut down.

Edited by Dessi Tyran
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Dessi Tyran said:

I would like to say; thank you to everyone who has been proactive in reporting one day old avatar's being gifted purchases by another avatar. Personally, every time I see these posts and names. I immediately block both of them and I am happy to say, I haven't had to deal with assessment charge backs.

I'd like to know where you see these names so you can block them.  I've been getting hit with these and haven't even known until now since I haven't been on sl much lately.  I asked connorboy to be added to the group to stay informed but not sure where to see these things

10 hours ago, Dessi Tyran said:

Another person has informed us of three more MP stores with suspicious activity. I have done my diligence in reading and researching the marketplace policy. 

which stores?

9 hours ago, Alternate Monday said:

I'd like to know where you see these names so you can block them.  I've been getting hit with these and haven't even known until now since I haven't been on sl much lately.  I asked connorboy to be added to the group to stay informed but not sure where to see these things

which stores?

I pm'ed you. :)

@Kristin Linden

@Grumpity Linden

Removed transactions:

2020-03-09 08:40:47 
3ccbd51a 
Destination: Recovery Linden 
Linden Adjustment 
Beschreibung: CSR Move Linden Dollars 
L$9891

2020-03-09 08:40:48 
9316a8dc 
Destination: Recovery Linden 
Linden Adjustment 
Beschreibung: CSR Move Linden Dollars 
L$9891

-----------------------------------------------------
Sell transactions:

2020-03-08 14:53:31 
2c908b70 
Source: Commerce Linden 
MKT2 Item Sale 
Beschreibung: Order #1522161630, Item #13297524 (NAME DELETED by me) 
L$4495

2020-03-08 14:54:02 
3f54af70 
Source: Commerce Linden 
MKT2 Item Sale 
Beschreibung: Order #1522161630, Item #12414623 (NAME DELETED by me) 
L$5395

-----------------------------------------------------
My Ticket under generell marketplace issues: #1492524

Answer: (same as all the years before)

Hello Tanja Byron,

Thank you for contacting the Account Security team. We understand your concern regarding your recent Linden Dollar assessment. 

Our investigation has determined that the L$19782 sent to you on 3/9/2020 were obtained through unauthorized and fraudulent activity within Second Life. Pursuant to Section 3.1(ii) of the Second Life Terms of Service, the Linden Dollars received by your account are now void and must be removed. Accordingly, we have assessed the Linden Dollars against your account, and you should see this reflected in your Linden Dollar balance. 

We understand the fraudulent Linden Dollars were used to purchase item(s) from your store. As stated in our Privacy Policy, we are unable to discuss another person’s account. While we cannot return the items to you, we can assure you every measure has been taken to secure the accounts and reduce the impact of this fraudulent transaction. 

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding in this matter. 

Best Regards, 
LisaB Scout 
Account Security
Linden Lab
---------------------------------------------------------

... L$19782 sent to you on 3/9/2020 ... 4495L$ + 5395L$ = 9890L$ and not L$19782 ... i did not sell it twice but they removed it twice!

And i think LisaB Scout did not really read my ticket and also is not part of your team Kristin. Why goes the Ticket with generell marketplace issues #1492524 wrong and what can i do now?

Sorry if i make you work and Trouble 😞

Greetings Tanja

Edited by Tanja Byron
added @grumpitylinden

On 3/3/2020 at 12:13 PM, StephanieBell said:

I filed a ticket yesterday regarding what I considered a suspicious purchase - Avatar A buying a RARE as a gift to one day old Avatar B who then disappeared from search. This is the item I subsequently got the assessment on. I have filed a follow-up ticket. 

@Patch Linden @Grumpity Linden Please can you update us on progress on this matter? 

Yes Connor, it is happening again. I expect we are not the only ones hit overnight as well. 

While I truly appreciate the return on lindens after they are removed from our account this is only papering over the problem. I work hard to collect a set. I don't have the money to just go and pull machines endlessly to obtain one so I am not only financially invested in my sets, I have an emotional attachment to them as well by the time I have collected them. Yes, I am willing to sell them but like any collector one hopes they are going to someone who appreciates them, not just stolen for sport, malice or illegally gotten personal financial gain. 

Again @Patch Linden and @Grumpity Linden when might we get a progress update regarding the issues raised at user and governance meetings, as well as here on the forum i.e. the option of non-gifting of transferable items, the return of inventory items stolen off of LL Marketplace, etc?  We need to feel safe on MP. Please.

Edited by StephanieBell
  • Like 2

Hello, all.  Seems these hackers are busy again.  I was hit for the price of 2 full sets this morning.  I did not see the sale notice from MP since it was sent to the spam folder, so getting a jump on this hacker was not do-able.  Put in a ticket, and will let you know how that goes.  Sashaspooky

UPDATE:  Just received an email stating my case had been reviewed and funds returned.  This took about an hour, which i think is very impressive.  

Edited by sashaspooky

I honestly see the gifting option being taken off as a negative for other stores that don't sell no copy / trans items, so in the long run, I don't see that being implemented, BUT why is 2FA not a thing in SL?  We put in our payment / bank info, and some of us even send in our personal info such as driver's licenses to LL.  That information should be protected and not so easily hacked.  This is a huge failure on LL's part to not give us an option to secure our accounts further.  AND the hackers probably wouldn't be able to get into accounts that have 2FA enabled. 

LL could go further and do what Steam did when they first introduced 2FA into trading; putting a hold time on items before they can be delivered if you don't have 2FA enabled.  On steam, the hold time was 7 days I believe, but here even a hold time of 24 hrs would be sufficient to deter hackers and make sure that sellers on MP are not scammed out of their goods.  The way it is right now, LL makes it very easy for hackers to get away with what they're doing.  

Edited by Alternate Monday
  • Like 1

Oh this is so annoying. In less than 48 hours $19, 674L worth of Merchandise has been purchased fraudulently from my MP store. $7000 has been recovered by LL so far in the last 3 hours or so. I submitted my ticket for that amount. Now I am waiting for the rest of the funds to be recovered. I sent in tickets as soon as I saw the avi who was gifted was a new born. Hot items from my store 3 Bamse Gamer sets with extras, 1 Dead Dollz Bridal Gown RARE and the AF Tiffany Dining set with an extra chair. I delisted my other Tiffany set for now...sigh. I wish this system was easier and safer for us...sigh. 

Perhaps we should make a list of the items they tend to buy from all of us? Is there a pattern?

• Moderators

Reminder (since it's been a while!):

On 2/4/2020 at 7:38 AM, Patch Linden said:

Hi everyone!   I wanted to give you an update on what we’re working on.  

The assessment process is not one that is typically handled by the Governance or Support teams for Second Life, however, we are here to help with it.   As we continue to review the processes and policies that are currently in place with the team handling it, we have come up with an interim solution of putting a direct review process in place for anyone that has an assessment made to an account within our teams.  

If you’ve had an assessment levied against your account and would like to have our team further review it, please file a support ticket using Issue Type: Marketplace > General Marketplace Issues.

Rest assured that we are working on a way to make this process as painless, efficient and non-penalizing as possible going forward.  We appreciate your patience as we work towards that together with all of you.

• Thanks 1

Wondering about the effects of removing added credit cards from the billing information by LL in meanwhile. I know some of the big business runners won't like it but this fraud is a real headache for most of the people.

Edited by OxfordLennox
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.