"Linden Dollar assessment"?

coreyfaure

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, Kristin Linden said:

I just wanted to drop in a quick reminder that calling out specific people and accusing them of possible TOS violations is not appropriate for the forums. If you believe that someone is violating the Terms of Service we ask that you please file an Abuse Report so that we may investigate further.

In theory that seems just and proper but unfortunately in practice for some circumstances it's just not that easy to file an abuse report. My story:

I am in-world and receive a direct IM from someone I have never heard of, who was not in my area, with a link to join a group where I could buy and exchange gacha with giveaways thrown in. I have never before been cold-called to join a group. I am feeling especially cautious after just hearing several times in the user groups about the dangers of clicking phishing links. I don't click the link but I do look at the profile. The person sending the link is not the group owner. What do I do? Is this something I should report? I don't know.

I go to the forums but searching there doesn't seem to find me an answer.

I go to the SL support page which directs to: https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new. I start the process but a hurdle at first step. No category to report my issue, a suspected phishing attempt or even a category which seems fit potential fraud. Am I just being paranoid now and is this even important?  I carry on, at least then I will know if it happens again.

I use the live chat option to ask if this is something I should report. I am told I can file abuse reports, under the category Fraud > $L or $USD. I can't find 'fraud' category on the support ticket but eventually work out that this is not part of that help process but one, I am told, I need to do logged in via the SL viewer.  As I take the 'via SL viewer' comment literally seems this is another hurdle, and probably all for nothing, but I carry on as I want to know.

I log out of Firestorm and in to SL viewer to access the report*. This is all new to me and there is no link to how to fill the report out given on the report page. I try to complete but this option seems to be set up for reporting abuse in-world in the area in which one is standing. The word count doesn't allow me to finish what I want to say, nor can I see how to report a person who is not in my direct vicinity and can't send it without this section completed. Also this was some time later now and was I even still in the same place it happened, I can't remember. This can't be worth all this but I carry on regardless: I still want to know.

I return to the support ticket page and complete it, again with nothing to direct me to where I might report such an issue so I just take a shot on a category.

The response, while retrospectively helpful outlining how to file a abuse report for future reference, was basically Governance handles these matters. Governance can't help if I haven't filed a abuse report. And because Support can't help, my ticket is marked resolved.  At that point I give up: not because the people along the way weren't helpful individually but because after all that, I still just don't know if it is or isn't even worth doing. 

*This option is available via Firestorm, just didn't know it at the time.
Edited by StephanieBell

One idea, as tracking seems so difficult for SL itself, might be for creators to take the lead on this issue and start to number their gacha items, similar as artists do for limited edition prints?

I am not entirely sure how it would work technically but in an artist's case a limited edition has a fixed number of items in a set. They are marked with 2 numbers, the unique number of the print and the size of the print run ( ie 1/1000 or 149/40,000).  If someone needed to release more they could do a 1/1000B? 

A thought anyways. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, StephanieBell said:

One idea, as tracking seems so difficult for SL itself, might be for creators to take the lead on this issue and start to number their gacha items, similar as artists do for limited edition prints?

I am not entirely sure how it would work technically but in an artist's case a limited edition has a fixed number of items in a set. They are marked with 2 numbers, the unique number of the print and the size of the print run ( ie 1/1000 or 149/40,000).  If someone needed to release more they could do a 1/1000B? 

A thought anyways. 

I think this is a great idea. It would make it much harder for copybotters to determine how many people have played a creator's gacha. And, how would they know which person got what # from a set. I am also unsure of how it would technically work, but its a wonderful suggestion and possible solutions. I feel it would help Linden Labs and us legitimate resellers track down these coping thievish people. Hypothetically speaking, if you bought into a numbered gacha and won a specific number and you see someone else having the same numbered item you won, then you know without a shadow of doubt it was duplicated illegally.

Once again, if we had an added drop down flag option for a bogus / illegal item needing investigated, it would go faster than having to submit a ticket through your viewer or through the ticket website. This would also reassure us the flag is being received by the appropriate team for handling because sometimes when we need to submit a ticket it isn't sent to the right team because the already given choices don't fit into whatever the problem might be we've come upon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephanieBell said:

A thought anyways. 

I don't know if the gacha machine scripts will be able to handle that because currently they hand out items based on percentage odds but if every one of the items had to be individually loaded that could be trouble when we are discussing thousands of items.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 9:33 PM, Kristin Linden said:

If you believe that someone is violating the Terms of Service we ask that you please file an Abuse Report so that we may investigate further.

Kristin, I have reported those names in lists many times. They don't read or don't respond or tell me to flag (I flag many daily-my flags are still there/active). Well whoever reads the ticket closes immediately even without waiting for my response. If you can, please read the old tickets opened by me, I don't see any investigation or logic there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 9:33 PM, Kristin Linden said:

I just wanted to drop in a quick reminder that calling out specific people and accusing them of possible TOS violations is not appropriate for the forums. If you believe that someone is violating the Terms of Service we ask that you please file an Abuse Report so that we may investigate further.

Please do not use the forums to name and shame others, it's not cool.

I have a feeling that they started again.

Hello.I've heard about this problem before but it's the first time it's touched me.or I just didn't notice.

Dear jds2 Resident,

We regret to inform you that the L$ recently sent to you may have been obtained through an unauthorized source. Per the Terms of Service and due to the manner in which the L$ were originally obtained, the L$ have been voided from your account.

L$ [3150] that was sent on [2/29/2020] have been assessed.

Is the seller to blame for the fact that they bought Gacha from him?Is it forbidden to sell? and How can we know if it's clean money or dirty money? The system itself allowed the thief to buy and in the end the seller suffered who lost both money and the suit because everyone knows that the gacha is in one copy.

@jds2 -  hope this helps:

Patch Linden

• Not a Newbie
  •  
  • Patch Linden
  • Administrators
  • 267 posts

Hi everyone!   I wanted to give you an update on what we’re working on.  

The assessment process is not one that is typically handled by the Governance or Support teams for Second Life, however, we are here to help with it.   As we continue to review the processes and policies that are currently in place with the team handling it, we have come up with an interim solution of putting a direct review process in place for anyone that has an assessment made to an account within our teams.  

If you’ve had an assessment levied against your account and would like to have our team further review it, please file a support ticket using Issue Type: Marketplace > General Marketplace Issues.

Rest assured that we are working on a way to make this process as painless, efficient and non-penalizing as possible going forward.  We appreciate your patience as we work towards that together with all of you.

I also have had another Linden Dollar adjustment with no email alerting me to the lindens being reclaimed. I would encourage all MP merchants to check their transaction history for

Destination: Recovery Linden

Linden Adjustment

Description: CSR Move Linden Dollars

I filed a ticket yesterday regarding what I considered a suspicious purchase - Avatar A buying a RARE as a gift to one day old Avatar B who then disappeared from search. This is the item I subsequently got the assessment on. I have filed a follow-up ticket. 

@Patch Linden @Grumpity Linden Please can you update us on progress on this matter? 

Edited by StephanieBell

Reminder:

Web User Group

The Web User Group meeting is a monthly, public meeting intended for discussion of issues around our Web properties such as Marketplace, Profiles, Place Pages, Search, etc. Grumpity & Reed Linden are the moderators. Please bring your questions & requests. Normal schedule is to meet the 1st Wednesday of the month at 14:00 SLT. Exceptions will be noted here. Meetings are held inworld at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Denby/73/78/25

Meeting Dates

• Wednesday, March 4th, 2020
Edited by StephanieBell

I got an assessment too .. 4k lost and filling a ticket right now. I hope we can get a fix on this problem soon. At least give us an update if you guys are still trying to fix this problem .. don't keep us in the dark because this is realy frustrating.

• Sad 1

Hi !

I want to thank you Kirsten and your team once again for handling the issue and resolve it, i think marketplace is safer then ever for us resellers now:) I am sure they are working hard on this and many people might be hit so give it a little time until it is resolved. I sent my ticket on march 1 and today it is solved:)

have a good one everyone

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 6:34 AM, StephanieBell said:

A thought anyways. 

to uniquely number/name each product then there is 2 ways to do this:

1) Gumball machine.  Where the uniquely numbered/named objects are dropped in the gacha machine.  Rare, Rare 1, Rare 2. Common, Common 1, Common 2, Common 3, wtc

a downside with a gumball machine is that when the Rares are all gone and only Commons remain in the machine then the player can never receive a Rare

2) Random machine. It works the same as a standard gacha machine to give common/rare.  The unique name/number is assigned to the object after it has been rezzed/attached.  This requires some kind of server. A inworld local LSL server on the machine operator's parcel. Or a offworld http server which can do the unique naming/numbering anywhere on the grid

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.