Byby Mobile Phones, Hello VR/AR Glasses

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I could definitely see it happening, though I expect it will be a slow adaption by consumers for quite a few years still -- and maybe not at all for older folks.  For me, since I depend on bifocals, their prescription add-on does not help, so I will definitely not spend the dollars - even if the price came down quite a bit.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I could definitely see it happening, though I expect it will be a slow adaption by consumers for quite a few years still -- and maybe not at all for older folks.  For me, since I depend on bifocals, their prescription add-on does not help, so I will definitely not spend the dollars - even if the price came down quite a bit.

I'm having some eye issues myself.

However, one thing cool about VR is that the screens can be HUGE, and I do mean HUGE. I can actually see my VR desktop better than the one sitting in my RL room. And I can have many of these screens open at once.

I'm looking into the future beyond the video I posted, to where our mobile phones are replaced with huge screens, visible in VR or AR mode.

On the train I see people wearing headphones/earbuds and staring down at their smartphones. AR glasses for people who don't wear glasses seems a bit dumb. I'd rather see something like a retractable lens that slides out from the side of your temple when in use. I can see people wearing it as part of their headphones. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Those are pretty good actually, for what they are.

I tried them last year at Mobile World Congress.

There's only one screen though and it's fairly small but the resolution is good. They are primarily intended for information overlay, navigation, engineering, maintenance AR.

Main benefit is that you don't look a complete t**t wearing them.

• Like 1

I hope it's at a time when I am close to being gone or already gone from this world..Because phones have made zombies out of so many people already and I just don't look forward to an even more unsocial world..

We already have a generation of people in too deep now, that were raised with phones in their hands,that won't know what to do without them..That makes the human race way more vulnerable than it already was..Let alone much more easier to control and direct people around..look at the impact that tweets and social media have on manipulating many already..

My boys still don't have a cell phone  and won't until they are old enough to walk in the store and get one themselves..

I just have never been a big fan of them myself..Especially seeing what they do to people in the work place.I hate to imagine something even easier being thrown into the mix now..

aPDLRMP_700b.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Yeah a life time dream to look like Joe 90 - I don't think so.

(Brits of a certain age might get the ref)

Sure, those who are about 200 years old 😂. I however had to look it up.

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I hope it's at a time when I am close to being gone or already gone from this world..Because phones have made zombies out of so many people already and I just don't look forward to an even more unsocial world..

We already have a generation of people in too deep now, that were raised with phones in their hands,that won't know what to do without them..That makes the human race way more vulnerable than it already was..Let alone much more easier to control and direct people around..look at the impact that tweets and social media have on manipulating many already..

My boys still don't have a cell phone  and won't until they are old enough to walk in the store and get one themselves..

I just have never been a big fan of them myself..Especially seeing what they do to people in the work place.I hate to imagine something even easier being thrown into the mix now..

Well, there are many advantages to your children having a cell phone. One is the ability to call you in case anything was to ever happen, thats usually the most important and also to allow you to keep in contact with them if they are ever out anywhere. But the other is recognising that times are changing. Smartphones today serve a much wider purpose than the BS "zombie" argument. They are being used in schools and colleges as educational tools that students can use to look up information in class if they need it, allows them to record lectures etc etc. They allow teenagers an outlet of creativity when it comes to taking photographs, recording videos or getting to grips with many of the free mobile digital development tools that now exist. They also allow teenagers to build memories and keep in contact with their friends. Who by the way, if they are 13 or over, ALL have smartphones. They allow teenagers to look up new and interesting information and keep up to date with the worlds events though the likes of YouTube as well as find streamers who are their peers that they can relate to and learn from. The world has gone digital whether you like it or not and that isn't going to change. By stopping your children from ever having a smartphone....all your really doing is ostracising them from their friends and depriving them of a valuable tool that will ultimately help them in preparing for life in a world that makes good use of them. What you really should do is allow them to have a smartphone once they reach the age of about 13 and teach them how to use it responsibly and also encourage and participate in non smartphone activities with them so they get a healthy balance of the two. Because heres the truth, whether you like it or not they will eventually get one and they WILL spend an inordinate about of time on it. But, the whole "zombies" thing is nonsense, it's always been nonsense. Me and my friends spend a lot of time on our phones sure but we also spend time hanging out in person, grabbing coffee, going for a drive, going for a walk, chatting etc etc as do millions of others that I see who own and use a smartphone. The world is so digitally connected now that unless your in a certain high up age bracket and all your friends meet up weekly at the knitathon for a chat and a coffee...having a smartphone is somewhat of a requirement.

35 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Well, there are many advantages to your children having a cell phone. One is the ability to call you in case anything was to ever happen, thats usually the most important and also to allow you to keep in contact with them if they are ever out anywhere. But the other is recognising that times are changing. Smartphones today serve a much wider purpose than the BS "zombie" argument. They are being used in schools and colleges as educational tools that students can use to look up information in class if they need it, allows them to record lectures etc etc. They allow teenagers an outlet of creativity when it comes to taking photographs, recording videos or getting to grips with many of the free mobile digital development tools that now exist. They also allow teenagers to build memories and keep in contact with their friends. Who by the way, if they are 13 or over, ALL have smartphones. They allow teenagers to look up new and interesting information and keep up to date with the worlds events though the likes of YouTube as well as find streamers who are their peers that they can relate to and learn from. The world has gone digital whether you like it or not and that isn't going to change. By stopping your children from ever having a smartphone....all your really doing is ostracising them from their friends and depriving them of a valuable tool that will ultimately help them in preparing for life in a world that makes good use of them. What you really should do is allow them to have a smartphone once they reach the age of about 13 and teach them how to use it responsibly and also encourage and participate in non smartphone activities with them so they get a healthy balance of the two. Because heres the truth, whether you like it or not they will eventually get one and they WILL spend an inordinate about of time on it. But, the whole "zombies" thing is nonsense, it's always been nonsense. Me and my friends spend a lot of time on our phones sure but we also spend time hanging out in person, grabbing coffee, going for a drive, going for a walk, chatting etc etc as do millions of others that I see who own and use a smartphone. The world is so digitally connected now that unless your in a certain high up age bracket and all your friends meet up weekly at the knitathon for a chat and a coffee...having a smartphone is somewhat of a requirement.

You are entitled to your opinion as am I..;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chibiusa Ling said:

<snip> if they are 13 or over, ALL have smartphones.  <snip>   What you really should do is allow them to have a smartphone once they reach the age of about 13 <snip>   

No, not EVERYONE 13 and over has a smartphone.  I actually know some children younger than 13 that have smart phones.  I also know a few children older than 13 that only have phones with calling & texting ability, and who they text is limited.    All children are different, mature at different ages, respond to things in different ways, perceive the world differently, etc... What makes 13 the proper age for allowing a cellphone?  Did you just decide that yourself or is there some overwhelming amount of studies out there that agree on that?

3 hours ago, chibiusa Ling said:

But, the whole "zombies" thing is nonsense, it's always been nonsense.

The "zombies" thing is not total nonsense.  Just walk down any busy city street and the number of people looking down at their phones, rather than paying much attention to the world and people around them, is amazing.  What is even more telling is watching people out at restaurants -- couples, families, and just groups of friends.  The sheer number of tables where nobody is talking and everyone is heads down staring at their own cellphone is astonishing.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I just don't look forward to an even more unsocial world.

Totally agree...the evidence is pouring in now regarding the negative effects of smart phones.  Addictive properties, increase in teen depression and suicidal ideation, decreased empathy and ability to interact socially, diminished ability in abstract reasoning...to name a few.

Parents should supervise usage, even in teen years.

• Like 3

The last decade of teaching before I retired, I taught 6th graders (11-12 yrs). I taught in a title one school district, so the vast majority of my students came from low income families. But they had smartphones. They all had smartphones. They had to be turned off unless the teacher had given permission for them to be used for class activities. I tended to let my students listen to music with earbuds while they were completing their art assignments. I also let them use them for research when we had art appreciation topics and art history. 

I tend to agree with chibiusa, that smart phone usage by the young is inevitable. I also agree that we are paying a price for it's usage. Social skills are indeed down. But that doesn't mean it has to be that way. Teaching your kids how to use them responsibly and to not neglect real face to face interaction is a must.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

The last decade of teaching before I retired, I taught 6th graders (11-12 yrs). I taught in a title one school district, so the vast majority of my students came from low income families. But they had smartphones. They all had smartphones. They had to be turned off unless the teacher had given permission for them to be used for class activities. I tended to let my students listen to music with earbuds while they were completing their art assignments. I also let them use them for research when we had art appreciation topics and art history. 

I tend to agree with chibiusa, that smart phone usage by the young is inevitable. I also agree that we are paying a price for it's usage. Social skills are indeed down. But that doesn't mean it has to be that way. Teaching your kids how to use them responsibly and to not neglect real face to face interaction is a must.

So much old Science Fiction predicted this. And here we are, Siri and Alexa. I myself have Alexa in every room and outside on the porch, in the car, on a watch..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So much old Science Fiction predicted this.

“A good science fiction story should be able to predict not the automobile but the traffic jam.”

― Frederik Pohl

So curiosity might have us asking:  what would be the 'traffic jam' relating to VR/AR glasses?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.