General vs Moderate vs Adult Land Store Location

AdamZadig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does the land rating have much of an effect on people who can visit your in-world store?

if your store is on adult land, will this have a negative impact on sales as you would lose potential customers who are unable to visit the store?

Whats your experience?

49 minutes ago, AdamZadig said:

Does the land rating have much of an effect on people who can visit your in-world store?

if your store is on adult land, will this have a negative impact on sales as you would lose potential customers who are unable to visit the store?

Whats your experience?

no experience, but yes, rating can effect the choice of visitors, if you sell moderate or general creations, it's not wise to go to a adult location.

• Like 4

We started off on a moderate sim but we sell a lot more adult stuff now, so the move to a homestead and giving it an adult rating was a no brainer after some dumbinant leashed his 2 naked slaves to the steps at the store entrance. 🙄 Plus if you need adult words in your land description, moderate land filter dropped them.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AdamZadig said:

But can it limit the people who can visit? does having an adult seem prevent a large amount of residents from visiting?

no, only the type of land, not the rating, can make a difference:

homesteads max 25 people
mainland sims 40 people max (linden homes 55 if i'm not wrong, and very few like meeting areas 60 ? )
private sims 100 peope max
of course 100 high RCI people on your sim will kill everything in a radius of 25 miles

• Like 2

If your land is adult you those that do not have adult status (kids that didn't cheat when signing up) will not be able to visit.

I am reading that as your question, but may be wrong :D.     Unless there is a REASON to have adult land settings, most stores go for moderate.    It depends of course on what you are selling and who you believe your clientele is!

• Like 1

I do not advise, since your profile is definitely not an adult. Or it would be better defined, sexual. There are people who do not, even though they are of legal age. When I visit a place that is in sexual lands (adult), I never zoom, or I go out to see something on the street. I do not care at all. And I believe there are more people who think like me. There is also a price issue ... from what I see are more expensive land ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AdamZadig said:

But can it limit the people who can visit? does having an adult seem prevent a large amount of residents from visiting?

It would physically prevent those under the age of 18 RL from visiting (anyone that actually told LL they are under 18) and it would also prevent anyone that has chosen to not have Adult selected as an option in their Preferences for content access.  As to how many people have chosen to unselect Adult for access - well, your guess is as good as mine.  Then there are others that maybe have the Adult content access selected, but still mostly avoid Adult locations - those people might or might not visit.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I probably should have given more info. I'm looking to rent land on the commercial Azure sims with all the roads separating plots so I can put display models of my skyboxes and prefabs. Most of their land is Adult and I didn't know if that would stop a lot of potential customers going there to view the demos. Based on jewels answer probably not. I'm guessing most people who buy skyboxes and prefabs are adults anyway. And they would go there from a marketplace link so that would mean they wouldn't know what taking re land was until they get there anyway. 

Not all who are 18+ in RL 'have' (want) access to Adult sims. If you're selling stuff that aren't A-rated, go for a Moderate sim - it shouldn't be difficult to find Moderate land for commercial use. If 'dumbinants' show up with plugged slaves on leashes, that's their responsibility and their offence, not yours. 

• Like 6

Wait? Did I miss something? AFAIK minors won't be able to visit Moderate rated regions either -  they are restricted to General rated regions. The only possible consumer base gain would be adult users that did not activate Adult rated content.

Edited by Fionalein

15 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Wait? Did I miss something? AFAIK minors won't be able to visit Moderate rated regions either -  they are restricted to General rated regions. The only possible consumer base gain would be adult users that did not activate Adult rated content.

That would include a lot of the RL adult users that are in SL as child avatars.  Many of them do keep the Adult setting unchecked/unselected, but there might be a lot of potential skybox and prefab customers among them.

On 1/14/2019 at 9:46 PM, AdamZadig said:

I'm guessing most people who buy skyboxes and prefabs are adults anyway. And they would go there from a marketplace link so that would mean they wouldn't know what taking re land was until they get there anyway. 

You'd be surprised. I have a friend who sells furniture and stuff: he sells "Full Adult" versions and "PG-Only" versions and the price difference isn't that much. He says he sells a "helluva lot" more PG-only versions than he anticipated, almost a quarter (and that's by choice, not limitation, I suspect.) Price-difference a deciding factor? Possibly, but unlikely. Anyway, just saying the *smart move* is to know your target market, because that rating bit could possibly limit your exposure.

• 3 weeks later...

I find the 'Moderate' rating continually confusing. Seems like there are varying definitions of what it means, some more restrictive and some less restrictive. At what age does someone have permission to enter a Moderate region? Is there any age restriction at all?

It's clearly understand for Adult to be 18+ and that's that but for the Moderate region nothing seems to be as clearly defined. Since in a Moderate region you can designate a parcel to 18+ I assume people can enter the region at under 18 but how young? If that wasn't the case I assume the 18+ option would be greyed out.

In a Moderate region if you select 'Moderate Content' under the 'About Land' settings is that basically just saying the parcel is not rated General? Wouldn't it already be rated Moderate since the region is Moderate? Since a Moderate region could never be designated 'Adult' it seems like it would be easier to understand if the setting was to designate a parcel as General (a setting other than the default). It's stuff like that I find confusing.

Go for moderate. Nothing you sell qualifies as adult and adult land is most often more expensive plus all the other points people have listed.

One more point is, that if you're interested in doing hunts or events and what not some do not accept stores on adult land.

Most sims in SL are rated moderate, so it should be much easier to find great moderate land for your store anyway.

15 minutes ago, Jaauuwn said:

I find the 'Moderate' rating continually confusing. Seems like there are varying definitions of what it means, some more restrictive and some less restrictive. At what age does someone have permission to enter a Moderate region? Is there any age restriction at all?

It's clearly understand for Adult to be 18+ and that's that but for the Moderate region nothing seems to be as clearly defined. Since in a Moderate region you can designate a parcel to 18+ I assume people can enter the region at under 18 but how young? If that wasn't the case I assume the 18+ option would be greyed out.

In a Moderate region if you select 'Moderate Content' under the 'About Land' settings is that basically just saying the parcel is not rated General? Wouldn't it already be rated Moderate since the region is Moderate? Since a Moderate region could never be designated 'Adult' it seems like it would be easier to understand if the setting was to designate a parcel as General (a setting other than the default). It's stuff like that I find confusing.

Both moderate and adult land can only be accessed by someone who is 18 years and older. I always thought Moderate land is for every day life, the normal, while adult land is for those who enjoy pixel bonking without restrictions.

Also, you cannot change the rating of a parcel from moderate to general or anything else. The rating applies to the whole sim and cannot be changed by a parcel owner.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:
13 hours ago, Jaauuwn said:

Also, you cannot change the rating of a parcel from moderate to general or anything else. The rating applies to the whole sim and cannot be changed by a parcel owner.

I think he's referring to the below setting in the About Land / Options tab.  It makes no sense that you could untick it - what would that even mean?  Maybe it is left over from before they created the Adult regions.

This pic is for a parcel on a Mainland "Moderate" sim:
image.png.3d400306f4ab4bab5c12198034bff968.png

13 hours ago, Jaauuwn said:

I'm assuming you mean the highlighted setting in the pic below.  It would not do anything on a sim marked as Moderate or Adult.  If you give LL a birth date at signup that makes you under 18 years old in RL, then you are restricted to General sims, so all access to Moderate and Adult is 18+ by default.  It is possible that you could use the checkbox on a General parcel to restrict anyone under 18 in RL - but I do not know for sure if that is true or not.

Temp.JPG.e7bb81911229cda0fb334813e3fd56f3.JPG

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

@LittleMe Jewell Oh! I didn't even think of that setting. Hovering over it, it says "Your parcel information or content is moderate." The only halfway logical idea for this that I can think of is, if you have adult land but you don't do adult things on it? I don't know, I wouldn't even know where it would show up other than the access tab and who checks that as they hop from parcel to parcel? Wait, would it work ticking this on general land? That'd be....questionable.

Would love it if a Linden could shed some light on that mysterious setting o.o

from the wiki http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/About_Land

Mature Content - One of the region maturity ratings is "Mature", but parcels are not required to have mature content on Mature rated land. This item is intended to indicate that there is mature content on the parcel.

Here's mine:

185445714_aboutland.png.ff6907db2c7cf3e59fb5c8906f1e0298.png

I don't have the moderate content checked because even though my parcel is rated moderate, I don't have anything in my parcel contents that would indicate it's anything but general.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.