Why does LL count "Away/bots" in their Traffic system.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1982 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As I search for any "active sims" out there all I can find is crap like this.

Bb7n00Z.jpg

Sims with HIGH traffic, but are cheating by using bots...So curious why doesn't LL Disable traffic given when people are marked away...Better yet, LL should stop allowing players to disable "away" status...actually let them go away mode if they're not moving.

• Haha 1

they still care if someone complains.... someone complained about my alt army and they made me turn all but 5 into bots.  Even though they are not bots, they just seem like bots because of the nature of playing tiny empires it looks like they are just hanging about doing nothing. My neighbors thought I was hogging the sims resources and while the Lindens assured me that hogging resources didn't matter as long as I registered them as bots I didn't like the neighbors harassing me.  So I moved the alt army into my Linden home where the neighbors don't have such a strong sense of community fairness.  The Lindens suspended all the alt accounts until we resolved things.

55 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

That only applies for the web search. The legacy search (in the screenshot) can only be sorted by name or by traffic.

So Legacy Search that everyone uses doesn't count as the "web search" to?

Then what is the point of having it?

Edited by Haselden

10 minutes ago, Haselden said:

Some viewers have the option to show Legacy Search and I personally find it more usable than the web search option.  Both searches have their deficiencies but the entry text box in the web search is almost unusable for me as entering/editing search terms is slow, seems to have many glitches and the results take up too much space.  It has never improved since its introduction.  Obviously relying on traffic for sort results is a big issue for Legacy Search but for me the negatives of web search are too much to overcome.  I tend to search for specific places and not generic terms and so things with fake traffic that float to the top isn't an issue for me.  Needing to have a metric for Legacy Search is why Traffic still exists though.

• Like 1

Traffic has been gamed since SL opened its doors. I don't think it counts for much nowadays anyway. You certainly don't see near as many of the incentives merchants used to offer to get people to "camp out" at their stores. In any case, the rule for using scripted agents is still in place,  who knows if anyone actually abides by that rule though. 

I only use places, people, groups tabs not the websearch, I find it horrible. As said, bots are supposed to be listed, but it is unusual to see a group like that if bots look so random, they may have just been people sitting afk or in skype chatting etc, I know myself and my besties would stand around on our platform and look to be doing nothing but writing in WP or managing work and voicing to eachother in skype, does not mean we are trying to do anything to do with traffic, we are just in the same space. Also 4 people could not make 21K traffic daily, they would tap in around a few K if that. Those are some huge numbers, and huge stores that have flowing traffic for hours do not reach that level. People are going there for it to be that high, them staying is another story.

35 minutes ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

I only use places, people, groups tabs not the websearch, I find it horrible. As said, bots are supposed to be listed, but it is unusual to see a group like that if bots look so random, they may have just been people sitting afk or in skype chatting etc, I know myself and my besties would stand around on our platform and look to be doing nothing but writing in WP or managing work and voicing to eachother in skype, does not mean we are trying to do anything to do with traffic, we are just in the same space. Also 4 people could not make 21K traffic daily, they would tap in around a few K if that. Those are some huge numbers, and huge stores that have flowing traffic for hours do not reach that level. People are going there for it to be that high, them staying is another story. 

There are 7 avatars in that area (shown via minimap on bottom-right) and one avatar generates up to 1440 traffic (Traffic rate is 1 per minute (if they stay over 5 minutes) per avatar per day) so we're looking at about 10K, plus the visitors they get by being in that 10K range and being brought up to 20K. This is also very easy to spot, they are almost always avatars with no last name, huddled together in a small area and wearing the starter LL avatars (created by Moles and Lindens). Those are definitely starters / library avatars.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

11 hours ago, Haselden said:

I never use the web search. Legacy search is where it's at IMO. Web search, web profiles, built in web browser etc. Anything "web" in the viewer such as that is slow as hell to do anything. Legacy search and profiles are wayyyyy better. 

• Like 3

Rarely used legacy search because it was always totally screwed due to camping and other issues. Search sucks period. When I do use search it's web search and IMO opinion it's only slightly better than legacy, and I only use it to search for locations of stores or groups I'm already familiar with. 

18 hours ago, Haselden said:

Better yet, LL should stop allowing players to disable "away" status...actually let them go away mode if they're not moving.

Doesn't it count traffic if you are set to away? I need to set myself as away more often then...

14 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Traffic has been gamed since SL opened its doors. I don't think it counts for much nowadays anyway. You certainly don't see near as many of the incentives merchants used to offer to get people to "camp out" at their stores.

That's because it's pretty cheap for them to just have their own traffic bots on the sim somewhere.

38 minutes ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

That's because it's pretty cheap for them to just have their own traffic bots on the sim somewhere.

No, it's because traffic doesn't count for much in the web search, and it's assumed that not many people use the legacy search. Traffic bots can get reported and forced to be removed, as they are against the ToS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

Doesn't it count traffic if you are set to away? I need to set myself as away more often then...

IF its scripted correctly then no It doesnt. For example, in the video game world of Warcraft. Blizzard Company makes it so you CANT disable afk mode. They want the players to log off that is inactive to make room/make traffic for other people too log into that server.

in SL it should be scripted the same way if players are inactive for long periods of time. This would would also fix the bot issue.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Haselden said:

IF its scripted correctly then no It doesnt. For example, in the video game world of Warcraft. Blizzard Company makes it so you CANT disable afk mode. They want the players to log off that is inactive to make room/make traffic for other people too log into that server.

in SL it should be scripted the same way if players are inactive for long periods of time. This would would also fix the bot issue.

No. Stop trying to turn SL into something it can never be.

When I need to go afk I will do it my way, not yours. My health issues are not up for discussion.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Haselden said:

If I want to go AFK at my home, I'm not impacting anyone else.  Hell, the most people I've ever seen on my entire sim at once is 12 and typically it is more like 3-5.  There is no reason at all for limiting how long I leave my avatar parked at home when reading the forums, playing in my picture editing software, reading other web pages, or doing things in RL that have me totally away from my computer.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Haselden said:

Being AFK has to be handled by the viewer because that is where the input takes place.  Unlike with a closed source game client, the SL viewer source is open source and can be compiled by anyone with the knowledge.  Therefore anyone wanting to disable AFK would be able to do so and the result would be undetectable by the server.  I would imagine even a game client has people who can patch out being AFK as well but game clients also often have checks against modification and so that would be detected.  If a game client was open source and third-party compiled clients were allowed to run the game, they would have the same problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

If that happens, and they get reported each time they come back, then I'm pretty sure LL would take some significant action against the landowner.

There's an adoption place that has something around 20 bots scattered evenly across the sim at 4000 altitude on a flat plane, all empty profiles, unmoving, and using starter avatars. I've reported these a couple times but I'm fairly sure not even one bot has been removed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1982 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.