Avatar just disappeared from SL???

Eirynne Sieyes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

but the contacts list stays intact.

Are you saying, they are in your contact list but no longer in world? Maybe real life is keeping them busy - it is Christmas.

Or are they no longer in search? If so there are two reasons: One is they have deleted their avatar.

Fionalein, Contact List malfunction! Oh interesting!

Callum, No. I'm saying they are NOT in my contact list. NOT on friends list and I don't remember the last name to look it up.  I was under the impression that deleted avatars remained in Contact List. I have a bunch of friends who are gone, and I believe wiped profiles, but are still in my List.

Have you looked in your inventory under "Calling Cards" ?  If there is a calling card for them, at least you'd have their full name to look up in search - or if you know that you both belonged to a common group - to look them up in that group.  If the group shows the names of members it will also show the last time the person logged on. 

Edited by moirakathleen
added some missing words
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Fionalein, Contact List malfunction! Oh interesting!

Callum, No. I'm saying they are NOT in my contact list. NOT on friends list and I don't remember the last name to look it up.  I was under the impression that deleted avatars remained in Contact List. I have a bunch of friends who are gone, and I believe wiped profiles, but are still in my List.

I don't remember when deleted accounts fall off your friends list - I'm sure they do, but I don't know if it is immediate or not.  I know that a deleted account will remain in a group for at least 6 months after the account no longer shows in search.  Their legacy profile will remain forever, even if they are no longer searchable -- i.e. if you have a calling card for them, you can still pull up their legacy profile, but if they aren't searchable any longer, you won't be able to get to their web profile.

5 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Moira, not in Calling Cards. That's what I've been calling the Contact list.

Were you originally Friends?  I've never had a calling card disappear for anyone except those that I've deleted -- and I do still have a couple for accounts that I know were deleted.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't remember when deleted accounts fall off your friends list - I'm sure they do, but I don't know if it is immediate or not. 

Deleted accounts don't get, or at least don't always get removed from your friend list. I have at least six people on mine whose accounts were all deleted years ago. I don't know if they're supposed to, but if they are, it doesn't work, lol.

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Yes, we were friends. That is what is so strange. There is NO calling card and I have never deleted a calling card. And it happened just about a week ago. Makes NO sense.

If the calling card is gone, then my guess is one of two things:  Either an SL hiccup (that might or might not fix itself in time) or the person was banned.  I could see LL removing all traces of a person if they were permanently banned.  I've never had a calling card disappear, even for accounts that I know are deleted.

I have had problems in the past with people disappearing off my friends list and when you contact them to ask why they claim not to have defriended you. It has happened with people I am pretty sure didnt and sometimes they have contacted me first to see why I defriended them. So fairly sure there is some sl glitch there. If you cant  remember the name you might however find it in your log files.

On firestorm avatar>preferences>Network & files then the directory tab the bottom text box is where your log files are kept

1 minute ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

When I looked that person up - THEY DID NOT EXIST!  

Yes, either self deletion or ban, as I said back here:

On 12/14/2018 at 9:31 AM, Callum Meriman said:

Or are they no longer in search? If so there are two reasons: One is they have deleted their avatar.

If it is a ban, you will never know what it was for (unless they sneak back in and tell you), but there are not so many activities that lead to permament bans. Stuff like extreme threats, ongoing harrasment do, and a few abhorent sexual practices will as well. Fraud is another, as is trying to cash out lindens, and not being able to verify your identity.

I prefer to think the people self-delete then to think bad of them.

4 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

I found a notecard with the friend's name. When I looked that person up - THEY DID NOT EXIST!   I guess that's a Linden ban. (And I wonder for what?)

☹️

Doesn't necessarily mean an LL ban your friend might have deleted their account. One of my friends i only discovered they'd deleted their account when i tried to view their web profile i don't know why they did it i can only hope they haven't deleted their RL account too 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.